PDA

View Full Version : Alan Hansen

ekhibee
22-06-2010, 06:16 PM
Well I just wondered if anybody on here has ever met Hansen? He comes across as being an arrogant opinionated tosser on TV, but maybe in real life he's actually an ok sort of bloke. Just wondered, nobody could be always as obnoxious as that on a permanent basis IMO.

Jim44
22-06-2010, 07:22 PM
Well I just wondered if anybody on here has ever met Hansen? He comes across as being an arrogant opinionated tosser on TV, but maybe in real life he's actually an ok sort of bloke. Just wondered, nobody could be always as obnoxious as that on a permanent basis IMO.

I met and spoke to him once during the Dunhill Cup in a lift in the Old Course hotel at St Andrews of all places. I had a wee dig at him as he had, to his extreme disappointment, been narrowly ousted out from qualifying in the pro-am competition. He was obviously highly miffed but shrugged it off, saying, "I'm pi$$ed off getting beaten, but I couldn't have played anyway, as I've got a tv gig with Gary (Linneker?) for the Old Firm game tomorrow." Beside the point, but I always wondered why he'd taken part in the first place. To be fair he was quite polite during our brief conversation. Still can't stand the guy tho'.:greengrin

Magnifique
22-06-2010, 09:03 PM
Met him in B and Q at Newcraighall

Thats where you will find all the tools

Kevvy1875
22-06-2010, 09:40 PM
Never met him personaly but apparently the standing joke is to ask him....

'Awright Hansen?...bumped in to Willie Miller lately?':greengrin

For you younger ones who don't know what the joke is all about look at this...about 2.10 in for the money shot:agree:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPIFa8Gyyjc

Banter
22-06-2010, 10:53 PM
One of the lads in my old football team had some how got hold of his phone number.

Would'nt have believed it until he phoned him on a night out pretending to be Kenny Dalgliesh on loud speaker.

He bought it for about a minute. Hilarious.:greengrin

emmjayfox
22-06-2010, 11:31 PM
I met him once at a charity night when i lived up north,he was with his wife and kenny dalglish and his wife, and some owner of a mobile phone company. The guy wi the mobile company got my mate in to play the bagpipes for 10 mins and slipped him a roll of notes which was £200. They stayed in the hotel which was Cadbol house near Tain all weekend, Hansen loved the bevy. My mate is the chef in there, and hansen used to come through to the kitchen and get water for his never ending batch of.......................... vitamin tablets. My mate said they hardly had to wash a dish all weekend as the 3 wives would come into the kitchen and do them. All the staff said they were a great crowd. I never thought he came over arrogant at all, just a bloke havin a good time and doing his bit for charity.

IWasThere2016
22-06-2010, 11:37 PM
I know someone who has met him, and was in his company for hours .. he said Hansen was a gent and good company. He wasn't being paid to be so either.

Privately, he's a proper Jock and hates them :greengrin

He savvy enough not to bite the hand that feeds though :wink:

broonie27
23-06-2010, 01:44 AM
Where does all this Hansen-baiting come from? I'm not his number one fan but I find the guy far from offensive and certainly not arrogant. I think he is a decent pundit with plenty to offer on the insight of a match, which is more than you can say for Earle, Desailly, Bright etc, etc, etc.

You wait until England get put out of the tournament - he'll be the only one in the studio with a smile on his face.

Phil MaGlass
23-06-2010, 08:45 AM
Hansens the only one of the BBC pundits who can give a proper analysis of a game,Shearer and twa1 Lawrensen are useless.Have you actually seen the amount of times he gives a good comment and one of the other two especially that twa1 Lawrensen come out with one liners its pathetic especially that TWA1 Lawrensen.

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-06-2010, 09:11 AM
I quite like Hansen, but, found myself shouting at the telly last night when he started slagging the Greeks cos he couldn't pronounce their names!

Phil D. Rolls
23-06-2010, 09:18 AM
I would love to see a warts and all biography of Hansen. I have always wondered how he feels about his part in blowing Scotland's best chance ever of making it past the group stages, and also about Dalgleish getting the Liverpool job.

Hansen was a classy player no doubt, in fact he was a joy to watch. I have never understood exactly what went on between him and Willie "Modest" Miller that night against the USSR. Was it down to poor communication, or was it something more sinister like stubborness.

Either way, they contrived to attempt to intercept the same ball with disastrous results. I'd love his take on exactly what went wrong.

Likewise the events following the game at the Heysel. How was Hansen under the impression that the Liverpool job was going to be his, when it was given to Dalgleish instead. Why did the board prefer Kenny to him?

I wonder if these events are partly responsible for creating the cynical, thrawn individual we see today. I also wonder how much he resents Linneker having the anchor job on MOTD, as he often behaves like he is the main man and not Gary, talking over the host and interrupting answers to questions.

Does anybody know if there is any good reading that would give an insight into this man's thinking?

Holmesdale Hibs
23-06-2010, 10:09 AM
Where does all this Hansen-baiting come from? I'm not his number one fan but I find the guy far from offensive and certainly not arrogant. I think he is a decent pundit with plenty to offer on the insight of a match, which is more than you can say for Earle, Desailly, Bright etc, etc, etc.

You wait until England get put out of the tournament - he'll be the only one in the studio with a smile on his face.

I agree with this although I have never met him. He’s definitely one of the better pundits on tv.

I've never understood why Tam Cowan etc like to take the p1ss out of him, although admittedly it is quite funny.

johnrebus
23-06-2010, 11:35 AM
I come from the same town - Alloa - as Hansen and am about the same age, though we went to different schools.

Even at a young age he was considered star quality - at golf........, He could have turned pro, but decided on football and signed for Partick Thistle after a short spell at Sauchie Juniors. I remember him as being pretty academic as well as good at sports and he could have gone to University. (Not in the same brainy mould as someone like Pat Nevin though. Hansens' taste in music was MOR ***** IICR.)

I was never a friend of his but can say that he was not arrogant or cocky in any way and most people liked him as far as I can recall.

One thing I do remember though - which made the local press at the time ......, Not sure if he was at Thistle or had just signed for Liverpool, but he was arrested on a breach of the peace charge in Blackpool for on a drunken night out with pals..........,

Must have been something in the air around Alloa in these days as Joe Craig - scored with his first touch for Scotland - came on the scene then, and Willie Morgan (Man Utd & Scotland) like Hansen, came from Sauchie.

Hansen will be as delighted as most people on this board will be when England get horsed out of the World Cup.

:greengrin

IWasThere2016
23-06-2010, 11:39 AM
Does anybody know if there is any good reading that would give an insight into this man's thinking?

:agree: Great shout!

Ollie Reed
23-06-2010, 11:53 AM
I come from the same town - Alloa - as Hansen and am about the same age, though we went to different schools.

Even at a young age he was considered star quality - at golf........, He could have turned pro, but decided on football and signed for Partick Thistle after a short spell at Sauchie Juniors. I remember him as being pretty academic as well as good at sports and he could have gone to University. (Not in the same brainy mould as someone like Pat Nevin though. Hansens' taste in music was MOR ***** IICR.)

I was never a friend of his but can say that he was not arrogant or cocky in any way and most people liked him as far as I can recall.

One thing I do remember though - which made the local press at the time ......, Not sure if he was at Thistle or had just signed for Liverpool, but he was arrested on a breach of the peace charge in Blackpool for on a drunken night out with pals..........,

Must have been something in the air around Alloa in these days as Joe Craig - scored with his first touch for Scotland - came on the scene then, and Willie Morgan (Man Utd & Scotland) like Hansen, came from Sauchie.

Hansen will be as delighted as most people on this board will be when England get horsed out of the World Cup.

:greengrin

Lived in the same street as Hansen, only met him the once though when I was 6 so a bit hard to judge him on that meeting! His brother John was a nice fella. Indeed, all of his family were nice folks.

jdships
23-06-2010, 06:11 PM
Played golf with him at a pro-am , Buchanan Castle, when he was still with Partick Thistle and he was good company and "real play to win" golfer ( scratch or +1 I think).
Again in the early 2000's played with him at a pro-am,- Birkdale , and when I mentioned our previous meeting he could remember the names of all four of us and our score !!.
After the round the talk naturally turned to football and his football "anecdotes" have been worth a pint or two , to me, in the last few years !!
A nice guy, especially in a small group .

AK86
23-06-2010, 09:47 PM
My mate:wink: met him in a gay bar in Soho.
He said he smelt of cheese, :rolleyes: and had a little pecker
Apparently , it was Hansen that was the recipient of ashley coles pic texts :wink:

Hibbie_Cameron
23-06-2010, 10:08 PM
I actually dont mind him, of the regular BBC pundits he is the best imo.

I think he gets a hard time too about being a turn coat etc. He is the BBC's top pundit so would be expected to be at the top games. He can hardly slate England all the time or he will lose his job.

FWIW i remember him s******ing away when Portugal elimanated them on penalties a few years back, when the others had tears in their eyes.

That clown Andy Gray is far far worse than Hansen imo

Hillsidehibby
23-06-2010, 10:14 PM
Played golf with him at a pro-am , Buchanan Castle, when he was still with Partick Thistle and he was good company and "real play to win" golfer ( scratch or +1 I think).
Again in the early 2000's played with him at a pro-am,- Birkdale , and when I mentioned our previous meeting he could remember the names of all four of us and our score !!.
After the round the talk naturally turned to football and his football "anecdotes" have been worth a pint or two , to me, in the last few years !!
A nice guy, especially in a small group .

Apparently he got that scar on his forehead playing basketball for Scotland.

Quite the sportsman.

lapsedhibee
27-06-2010, 03:53 PM
Doing very very well to contain his pleasure today. Very professional performance.

Barney McGrew
27-06-2010, 03:57 PM
Doing very very well to contain his pleasure today. Very professional performance.

:agree:

Looks like he's dying to burst out laughing :greengrin

Borders Hibby
27-06-2010, 03:58 PM

He does say "we" a lot.

Hibs90
27-06-2010, 04:06 PM
Lol at him ripping the Nade out of England.

Jim44
27-06-2010, 04:08 PM

Looks like he's dying to burst out laughing :greengrin

He does say "we" a lot.

I disagree with those who think that Hansen hides his true feelings about England. He was hurting inside today. I'm not saying that he has no time for Scotland, but IMHO he is deeply into supporting England when they are not playing Scotland.

steviecarnie
27-06-2010, 04:14 PM
but IMHO he is deeply into supporting England when they are not playing Scotland.

which tbf is his prerogative, as long as when/if we face them, he has a kilt/jimmy hat and is swigging irn bru or whiskey cant really fault him, he gets paid by the english media to be at the tournament and be adjective in his critism of all the teams, and he was highly critical of the english today and throughout.

:bye: ENGLAND, :bye: PAL

lapsedhibee
27-06-2010, 04:19 PM
he gets paid by the english media to be at the tournament and be adjective in his critism of all the teams

:agree: And the adjective he used about Engerlund today which particularly pleased was "laughable". :thumbsup:

KerPlunk
27-06-2010, 04:34 PM
He has very scary eyebrows.

LancashireHibby
27-06-2010, 04:41 PM
:agree: And the adjective he used about Engerlund today which particularly pleased was "laughable". :thumbsup:

So Shearer gives the England team pelters because he's gutted, and Hansen does so because he's actually working undercover?

--------
27-06-2010, 04:42 PM

He gave a thoroughly professional performance, and in the process tore the England team apart. Totally merciless, IMO.

He's a first-class commentator on the game who played in England for the greater part of his career, and he obviously gets on well with guys like Shearer and Lineker. He's not going to end up in a shouting-match with them on TV - or making a fool of the England team.

(After all, they do that so very well themselves, don't they?)

Anyone who expects him to be openly insulting or dismissive of the English team is unreasonable - he has a job to do and IMO he does it very well - and very even-handedly too.

lapsedhibee
27-06-2010, 04:58 PM
So Shearer gives the England team pelters because he's gutted, and Hansen does so because he's actually working undercover?

Didn't listen to the half time analysis but at the end Shearer and to a lesser extent Dixon were clearly taking their lead from Hansen (as they clearly respect his opinions). Hansen was giving it his 'Germany could have scored six, seven, eight' and Shearer followed his lead in slating England. Shearer would never have been slating Engerlund to the extent that he did if not for Hansen's lead, imo. I don't think there's anything undercover about Hansen - I suspect that there's a bit of him is fed up of the Engerlish hype and today he was glad to have the opportunity to redress a bit of that. I didn't notice him saying 'we' in his post match analysis at all - frequently 'England' and frequently 'they'.

Jim44
27-06-2010, 05:01 PM
which tbf is his prerogative, as long as when/if we face them, he has a kilt/jimmy hat and is swigging irn bru or whiskey cant really fault him, he gets paid by the english media to be at the tournament and be adjective in his critism of all the teams, and he was highly critical of the english today and throughout.

:bye: ENGLAND, :bye: PAL

:confused:Not sure what you're point is in terms of my allegiance. It's certainly not with England. The point I'm making is that, yes he can be objective and forceful about the failings of the England team but he definitely has strong feelings and affinity with the people (players, teams, pundits etc) and he can't hide it. But as you say, that's his prerogative.

Phil D. Rolls
27-06-2010, 05:10 PM
If that sweaty sock 'ansen comes near my girls, I swear i'll *****ing well do time. :grr:

Betty Boop
27-06-2010, 06:19 PM
If that sweaty sock 'ansen comes near my girls, I swear i'll *****ing well do time. :grr:

:faf:

ballengeich
27-06-2010, 06:24 PM
He looked like he was trying hard not to smirk when this evening's programme started about quarter of an hour ago, so he's probably ok.

Borders Hibby
27-06-2010, 06:51 PM
:confused:Not sure what you're point is in terms of my allegiance. It's certainly not with England. The point I'm making is that, yes he can be objective and forceful about the failings of the England team but he definitely has strong feelings and affinity with the people (players, teams, pundits etc) and he can't hide it. But as you say, that's his prerogative.

He is a an Elmor.