PDA

View Full Version : Maka slating Hibs - EEN

PaulSmith
22-06-2010, 10:59 AM
Maka on record today saying that he was dropped for refusing to sign a new contract

1two
22-06-2010, 11:01 AM
I'm more worried that he was actually offered a new contract!

All the best maka but you weren't good enough!

GlesgaeHibby
22-06-2010, 11:03 AM
Maka on record today saying that he was dropped for refusing to sign a new contract

He claims to have started the season as number 1 goalkeeper, when of course Stack was. He was dropped after that woeful performance against Rangers, not for refusing to sign a new contract. I seriously doubt he was even offered a new contract.

Thomson1875
22-06-2010, 11:11 AM
He says that he has had offers from across Europe and that former club Chelsea are also keeping an eye on him but insists that he won't be rushed into making a decision

For some reason i just cant see chelsea keeping an eye on him.

Stevie Reid
22-06-2010, 11:12 AM

After Maka AND Driver. What a team they would have...

.Sean.
22-06-2010, 11:13 AM
Im on my phone at the minute, anybody got a link?

poolman
22-06-2010, 11:14 AM

:fibber:

Sprouleflyer
22-06-2010, 11:16 AM
All Hail President Tache!!!

scott_hfc1875
22-06-2010, 11:17 AM
at times maka was a good keeper but imo the big man was a coward , always seemed to get injured when he was having a nightmare , to me that article smacks of sour grapes and lies .... not a chance any of the teams he mentioned are even looking at him :bye:

EskbankHibby
22-06-2010, 11:17 AM
Im on my phone at the minute, anybody got a link?

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/I-was-dropped-after-refusing.6375708.jp

Judas Iscariot
22-06-2010, 11:19 AM

Aye, to pish themselves laughing at him..

Hibstrooper
22-06-2010, 11:22 AM
I'd still have him the squad ahead of Smith :duck:

.Sean.
22-06-2010, 11:34 AM
Chelsea and one of the top Spanish clubs looking at him. Do they have blind scouts?

Gatecrasher
22-06-2010, 11:36 AM
Chelsea and one of the top Spanish clubs looking at him. Do they have blind scouts?

its more likely the big mans a few cards short of a deck.

.Sean.
22-06-2010, 11:37 AM
Cheers EskbankHibby.

Peevemor
22-06-2010, 11:38 AM
Oh dear!

Pretty Boy
22-06-2010, 11:44 AM
I always thought Maka slavered rubbish in the press and this nonsense just proves my point. Dropped for refusing to sign a new contract? Despite Hibs announce he wouldn't be offered a new contract as soon as the season was over. And also nothing to do with indifferent, inconsistent form for 2 and a bit seasons as well as that joke of a performance against Rangers.

Chelsea and a top Spanish club keeping an eye on him? For what? Comedy purposes? Is he good at cleaning boots?

Maka was rent a quote for the press in the same way Brian Kerr was. Breakfast with Roger Federer, Arsenal of the North or one of his 'we're all in this together' speeches when Mixu was in charge, all equally cringeworthy in their 'look at me and please like me' way.

A decent keeper on his day who struggled with consistency, but if he really believes that he will end up at Chelsea or any other top club then i fear for his sanity.

robinp
22-06-2010, 11:46 AM
I'll have 2 of whatever he's had:

"I'm not sure yet where I will go. I've received some offers from clubs in England and France and from a big Spanish club, from the Spanish top three, that was a big surprise to me. But I want to play for a club where I'm No.1. Everybody still sees me as the young talented goalkeeper from Chelsea. But now I'm 24, I've got the experience from the games with Hibs.

"I'm at an important point in my career. I know for example that people at Chelsea are still following me. Who knows... if one day Petr Cech leaves."

Peevemor
22-06-2010, 11:49 AM
I'll have 2 of whatever he's had:

I think we can safely assume that his pants are on fire. :agree:

CraigHibee
22-06-2010, 11:52 AM
dropped for being a bombscare!

there was no danger we were going to offer him a new deal.

BEEJ
22-06-2010, 11:52 AM
Well we did pay Chelsea a small fee for him. So maybe RP was looking to claw that back by trying to get him to sign a one year extension and then moving him on. :dunno:

But the timing of that dialogue (if indeed it occurred) and his transfer to the Hibs bench would have been no more than coincidence.

This is no more than a face-saving interview on Maka's part.

Scouse Hibee
22-06-2010, 11:53 AM
Well done Maka you're still showing consistency, only difference is it used to be ball dropping and now it's name dropping!

At least HE'S confident in his own ability. :bye:

Second thoughts! It 's probably just another piece of fictitious journalism.

Woody70x2
22-06-2010, 11:55 AM
If he leaves for one of Spain's top three or even Chelsea, we have let a star go for nothing. I cannot belive the short sightedness of our board and fans. The product on the park is clear for everyone to see. :wink:

Ell_Chrisso
22-06-2010, 11:56 AM
"Even though before I came to Hibs, they had the worst defence in the SPL. After my first season, they had the best. I stopped the most shots of all goalkeepers, statistics proved."

Anybody have any of his stats to prove this?

I actually had a little bit of respect for the guy, and felt quite sorry for him. He was always one of those players you hated to see do badly, and always wanted things to come good with... which didn't happen.

Sounds like he is very bitter with the fact things haven't worked out for him here. I think that's probably down to the fact he did like our support.. and the fact we did do our best to get behind him.

Can see him getting a deal maybe somewhere down in the lower leagues of England.

allezsauzee
22-06-2010, 12:11 PM
I'd still have him the squad ahead of Smith :duck:

On what basis?????

Woody1985
22-06-2010, 12:14 PM
To be fair, Chelsea probably did keep an eye on him to see how he progressed after leaving them but I'm willing to put my player scout reputation on the line here :greengrin and say that he won't be signing for Chelsea (and neither will Driver!).

He has/had the potential to be a good keeper and it'll be interesting to see where he goes next and how he develops. Lets face it, we're not to best place to kick off your first team goalkeeping experience!

MyJo
22-06-2010, 12:15 PM
oh dear, someone had too much sugar on thier weetabix this morning :Ummm:

Hibernian Verse
22-06-2010, 12:16 PM
Well done Maka you're still showing consistency, only difference is it used to be ball dropping and now it's name dropping!

At least HE'S confident in his own ability. :bye:

Second thoughts! It 's probably just another piece of fictitious journalism.

I'm glad he is, sounds like someone that wants to keep his career on the up. If I, or the majority of people on here, had woken up on a sunday morning to read the papers and online forums ripping into his ability, I'm not sure I'd have his confidence.

lyonhibs
22-06-2010, 12:17 PM
I'd venture he was dropped from the squad for being rank rotten, with his comedy capers goalkeeping and inability to dominate his box or kick a ball more then 30 yards.

Or maybe it was the fact that he got down to shots in such a fashion as to have us all checking our calendars to work out how many days it had taken him.

I await his next move with interest.

All the best Maka, but I suspect talk of big Spanish teams is fantastically optimistic.

Jack
22-06-2010, 12:17 PM
He claims to have started the season as number 1 goalkeeper, when of course Stack was. He was dropped after that woeful performance against Rangers, not for refusing to sign a new contract. I seriously doubt he was even offered a new contract.

Never let the facts get in the way of giving Makka a slating. :bitchy:

Guess who was in goal for the first two games of the season? :greengrin

Home win against St Mirren then an away win against Falkirk. A goal conceded in each game. Ladies and gentlemen I give you #50 Yves Makaba-Makalamby :agree:

From the end of November he played in his next 4 games; 3 wins and a draw, conceding 1 solitary goal in these 4 matches, before the infamous Rangers game.

Of course that was all his fault and I suppose the truly horrendous run we had after that can be put down to him as well even though he sitting in the stand. :rolleyes:

He made mistakes, as all keepers do, not many were converted into goals and over the bit he was less likely to concede than most other keepers who played in the SPL during his time with us. :blah: :blah: :blah:

Hibernian Verse
22-06-2010, 12:26 PM

Home win against St Mirren then an away win against Falkirk. A goal conceded in each game. Ladies and gentlemen I give you #50 Yves Makaba-Makalamby :agree:

From the end of November he played in his next 4 games; 3 wins and a draw, conceding 1 solitary goal in these 4 matches, before the infamous Rangers game.

Of course that was all his fault and I suppose the truly horrendous run we had after that can be put down to him as well even though he sitting in the stand. :rolleyes:

He made mistakes, as all keepers do, not many were converted into goals and over the bit he was less likely to concede than most other keepers who played in the SPL during his time with us. :blah: :blah: :blah:

:top marks

allezsauzee
22-06-2010, 12:29 PM
:top marks

Well if my memory serves me right we won the first game against St Mirren despite Maka's buffoonery gifting Saints the lead!

Ell_Chrisso
22-06-2010, 12:31 PM
Well if my memory serves me right we won the first game against St Mirren despite Maka's buffoonery gifting Saints the lead!

:greengrin I can remember being in my seat and at that exact point of him picking it out the net saying to my cousin... "Just another season at ER then.." haha

Hibernian Verse
22-06-2010, 12:32 PM

And what about Stack's buffoonery at Motherwell x2 (many times in the 6-6 game) and on other occasions. Get off Maka's back.

Frazerbob
22-06-2010, 12:33 PM
"Even though before I came to Hibs, they had the worst defence in the SPL. After my first season, they had the best. I stopped the most shots of all goalkeepers, statistics proved."

Anybody have any of his stats to prove this?

I don't have the stats to hand but I seem to recall that this was the case.

allezsauzee
22-06-2010, 12:37 PM
And what about Stack's buffoonery at Motherwell x2 (many times in the 6-6 game) and on other occasions. Get off Maka's back.

Stack didnt put a foot wrong in the 6-6 draw mate

Pretty Boy
22-06-2010, 12:38 PM

What bufoonery was Stack up to in the Motherwell game that finished 6-6?

If i remeber correctly he was in the hospital nursing an eye injury.

Part/Time Supporter
22-06-2010, 12:42 PM
Maka's "statistic" is complete bollocks.

2006/07 Hibs conceded 46 goals (5th best)
Huns 32, Celtic 34, Hearts 35, Aberdeen 38, Hibs 46, Falkirk 47, ICT 48, St Mirren 51, Killie 54, Pars 55, United 59, Well 61

2007/08 Hibs conceded 45 goals - all of one goal less than the season before! (3rd best)
Celtic 26, Huns 33, Hibs 45, Well 46, United 47, Falkirk 49, Killie 52, St. Mirren 54, Hertz 55, Sheep 58, ICT 62, Gretna 83

Hibs did go from 5th best to 3rd best, but this was due to Hearts (after selling Gordon) and Aberdeen conceding far more goals than the year before, rather than any improvement in Hibs.

These are the comments of a clown. How appropriate. I think he missed out the word "divisions" when he talked about getting an offer from the "top three" in Spain.

LancashireHibby
22-06-2010, 12:45 PM
Of course goalkeepers make mistakes, but not with the frequency or simple lack of ability that Maka showed on far too many occasions.

These 'top clubs' must be looking at him to bring him in as an example of how not to be a goalkeeper.

JimBHibees
22-06-2010, 12:49 PM
Of course goalkeepers make mistakes, but not with the frequency or simple lack of ability that Maka showed on far too many occasions.

These 'top clubs' must be looking at him to bring him in as an example of how not to be a goalkeeper.

IMO a truly appalling keeper who we are well rid of. Why is he bothering about Hibs when Chelsea and top Spanish clubs are still after him. Personally think I know the answer to that question.

Hibs90
22-06-2010, 12:51 PM
If what the big man is saying is true, then its a disgrace. IMO he should still be out no.1 now as he is better than Stack,Brown and possibly Smith. I hope Maka really does well and I look forward to cheering him on for whatever team it is in the future.

Mon the Maka. :thumbsup:

NORTHERNHIBBY
22-06-2010, 12:54 PM
Not sure what all the fuss is aout. Hardly the first time that we have seen an article with the words Makalamby and dropped being prominent. But the proof of the pudding, etc,etc will mean that the clubs that are watching him will pay no heed to to who said what. They will make him an offer based on what they have seen. Not wanting to hijack this into a jeepers keepers posting, but many on here said Andy McNeil was good enough to be our keeper but when we released him he tumbled all the way out of senior footie for a while and only got back in with the basement club. That did not happen because of opinions aired on this web site.

Hibs On Tour
22-06-2010, 12:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDJagu72hVE&NR=1

No comment needed. Dry yer eyes big man.

Hibstrooper
22-06-2010, 01:01 PM
On what basis?????

On the basis that Smith made about as many errors in half a dozen games as Makalamby has made in his whole time with Hibs.

That game against Motherwell was singlehandedly the worst goalkeeping performance I have seen in my puff.

Plus pretty sure all of Makalamby's stats are better (shots saved, clean sheets, etc..).

Makalamby is guilty of poor concentration however I think that will improve with age. On natural ability I would say he was miles ahead of Smith.

Pretty Boy
22-06-2010, 01:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDJagu72hVE&NR=1

No comment needed. Dry yer eyes big man.

Aye but that was against the rules and Lee Millers a fud and Maka signs autographs for bairns and eh eh eh

No it wasn't a against any rules which are perfectly clear it was just stupidity.

frazeHFC
22-06-2010, 01:11 PM
No he was dropped as he was ****. Was a legend though :top marks

allezsauzee
22-06-2010, 01:15 PM
On the basis that Smith made about as many errors in half a dozen games as Makalamby has made in his whole time with Hibs.

That game against Motherwell was singlehandedly the worst goalkeeping performance I have seen in my puff.

Plus pretty sure all of Makalamby's stats are better (shots saved, clean sheets, etc..).

Makalamby is guilty of poor concentration however I think that will improve with age. On natural ability I would say he was miles ahead of Smith.

Not as bad as Makalamby at home to Aberdeen in a 3-3 early in his HIbs career, where he actually jumped over the ball when he came to collect it!!!

I'm sorry but Smith is way better than Makalamby, its not even a close call

Broken Gnome
22-06-2010, 01:19 PM
15 pages. At least.

Whether you thought he was a great keeper, one with flaws that was worth persevering with due to his potential, or a hopeless buffoon - it's undeniable he made far too many mistakes while he was No.1. Smith and Stack might not have got off to ideal starts at Hibs, but Maka was still showing the same lapses in concentration and errors when he really should have been ironing them out of his game - it was his third year as first choice keeper, he's no longer a young guy short on experience. It was time for him to go, we've moved on and he should too - he's nicely overlooking of course the fact he was dropped after his nightmare against Rangers.

Hibstrooper
22-06-2010, 02:27 PM
Not as bad as Makalamby at home to Aberdeen in a 3-3 early in his HIbs career, where he actually jumped over the ball when he came to collect it!!!

I'm sorry but Smith is way better than Makalamby, its not even a close call

I'm sorry but Smith's performance against Motherwell was worse and that's even with a penalty save thrown in!

What he did to give away the penalty in the first place was just bizzare.

Hibernian Verse
22-06-2010, 02:49 PM
What bufoonery was Stack up to in the Motherwell game that finished 6-6?

If i remeber correctly he was in the hospital nursing an eye injury.

Sorry, I was thinking Smith. The first game was Stack off a free kick IIRC, the second game was Smith making blunders. Point still stands.

FromTheCapital
22-06-2010, 03:12 PM
Did we not offer him a contract at one point ? But he turned it down and said he was looking for another challenge. Maka your simply not good enough and all your talk even if it may be true it wasn't because you were between the sticks, It's because we got a better defence !

All the best mate but you are pretty poor ! :bye:

:******: and :fibber:

Horse
22-06-2010, 05:03 PM
Mr Romanov would've got him to sign a confidentiality claus. Get it sorted Petrie!

sahib
22-06-2010, 05:17 PM
Whatever Makas short comings are, he is no worse than Smith or Stack. All you can say for them is they look more like goal keepers.

Hibs On Tour
22-06-2010, 05:35 PM
Whatever Makas short comings are, he is no worse than Smith or Stack. All you can say for them is they look more like goal keepers.

When the position concerned is that of goalkeeper, surely that's a fairly central prerequisite, no? :wink:

sahib
22-06-2010, 05:39 PM
When the position concerned is that of goalkeeper, surely that's a fairly central prerequisite, no? :wink:

Not if they can't play like goalkeepers.

Cameron1875
22-06-2010, 05:43 PM

:confused: He was at fault for both the goals we conceded in these games:grr:.
How easily beaten was he for the falkirk goal and for st mirrens he was running around his box like a headless chicken.

Then he came in against falkirk at home late nov and everything was fine after a half time lead but he managed to make the defense **** themselves and tried a fancy trick round a striker.
Aberdeen away he had a shocking goal kick which he was almost lobbed from but narrowly missed the post.
Then we have the rangers game...

Sorry but maka seemed a nice guy but his performances just can't be defended. FACT:cool2:

Danderhall Hibs
22-06-2010, 06:00 PM
Simple mix up here - he's getting mixed up with being wanted by a Spanish top 3 side and being in Hibs Spain's top 3 keepers of all time.

ekhibee
22-06-2010, 06:04 PM
Simple mix up here - he's getting mixed up with being wanted by a Spanish top 3 side and being in Hibs Spain's top 3 keepers of all time.
Maybe he means wanted by a top Spanish Div. 3 side?

Big Frank
22-06-2010, 07:29 PM
He was gash. Glad he's gone:bye:

Nothing personal, but you really can't be a chicken hearted yeller belly if you want to be a goalie.

Danderhall Hibs
22-06-2010, 07:54 PM
I wish the guy no harm but I can't wait to see who he signs for.

Sumner
22-06-2010, 08:07 PM
Glad he's gone...
how LOOOONG did we hear of his "potential"
the guy got chance after chance
and day-dreamed, bottled and howlered
his way into the Crap Keeper Hall Of Fame.
Montrose to replace Andy McNeil ? :yawn:

Bourne_Hibs
22-06-2010, 08:10 PM
I also remember the 3-3 game against Aberdeen well, the season had recently begun John Collins had been out and signed a keeper to end the previous problems with Brown, Malkowski etc. Then Maka preceeded to throw a couple in for them.

The warning sign should have been that when Cech and Cudicini suffered their long term injuries at Chelsea, Makalambay was not even mentioned.

Too many errors and no presence for a massive keeper, I am surprised he has been at the club for as long as he has.

It would be good to see Brown start as no.1 next season.

Golden Bear
22-06-2010, 08:27 PM
Don't you miss "Hibs in Spain" on a thread like this?

:wink:

:greengrin

down the slope
22-06-2010, 08:29 PM
I think he was the worst keeper i have ever seen playing for us and there have been a few mugs down the years, remember the jumping over the ball incident with jones ?, never seen anything like it. I bet you he ends up in the Belgian second division if he is lucky.

Bostonhibby
22-06-2010, 08:36 PM

:agree: Car crash of a keeper IMHO- never knew what was going to happen next, this article makes me have an even clearer conscience about us releasing him, still if he is right, we should be hearing about him again in a different light soon, same way as Simon Brown :wink:

calamitus
22-06-2010, 09:30 PM
Seems like a nice guy, but his technique has always looked really suspect. Saved a lot purely because of his size, but have rarely seen such erratic decision making at our level. It'll be interesting to see how Brown shapes up next season - I get the feeling he'll get the nod when he's fit.

matty_f
22-06-2010, 09:53 PM
I also remember the 3-3 game against Aberdeen well, the season had recently begun John Collins had been out and signed a keeper to end the previous problems with Brown, Malkowski etc. Then Maka preceeded to throw a couple in for them.

The warning sign should have been that when Cech and Cudicini suffered their long term injuries at Chelsea, Makalambay was not even mentioned.

Too many errors and no presence for a massive keeper, I am surprised he has been at the club for as long as he has.

It would be good to see Brown start as no.1 next season.

Not so, he made the bench in a CL game (against Barca, IIRC) with Hilario getting the start.

Bourne_Hibs
22-06-2010, 09:58 PM
One appearance on the bench? Come on.

I think Chelsea were after Marcus Hedman on emergency loan, shows they rightly did not trust Maka at all.

matty_f
22-06-2010, 10:01 PM
One appearance on the bench? Come on.

I think Chelsea were after Marcus Hedman on emergency loan, shows they rightly did not trust Maka at all.

I'd say getting on the bench in a CL game at that level constitutes getting a mention, that was the point I was making.

IberianHibernian
22-06-2010, 10:02 PM
Wouldn`t read too much into alleged quotes from Maka (or anyone else) but think we made a big mistake by signing Smith and Brown on long-term contracts in winter having Maka (who I think is or has potential to be better than all the others ). Stack seems to be a good goalie but having played for so many clubs is unlikely to stay long. Maka is probably on a good wage by our standards but in worst scenario would have made us a lot when sold in a couple of years. Is a good goalie who makes odd mistake (who doesn`t ?) but Yogi decided to change for the sake of it or to please a few desperate fans who will already be on back of Smith and Brown anyway.

Banter
22-06-2010, 10:40 PM
I have to say that I am very surprised that Maka has fired a parting shot like this.

Always thought that the big man had a good relationship with the fans on the most part but this article is one of the most ridiculous things I have read in a long time and that includes the two occasions I clicked over to Brokeback.

New Contract :rolleyes:
Chelsea:rolleyes:
Petrie Flu:greengrin

As someone eluded to earlier not the sharpest tool in the shed.

RickyS
22-06-2010, 11:36 PM
Maka was the subject of a 10 page thread every couple of games. Everyone accepts goalies make mistakes but Maka was laughed at and taunted by every clubs visiting support, why? cos they knew he was gash. would St Mirren fans have swapped Gallacher for him? Sheep fans swap for Langfield? he had a couple of games in a season where he was excellent, coming for every cross and pulling off a good save but for me that was not enough to make up for the calamity capers for his other 32 appearances. Not an SPL standard keeper in a million years, whereas our current THREE are IMHO of course.
Dont wish him any ill but if he ends up at a bigger club than ours then the games up the pole.

Arch Stanton
24-06-2010, 05:46 PM
I don't know what all the fuss is about - he is clearly talking up his job prospects. If anyone on here has a CV which is brutally stark and honest then they should maybe have a rethink.

matty_f
24-06-2010, 07:48 PM
I think you'll find he knows his stuff. He's a great guy by the way ....

:agree: He's a good guy, just kens nowt about goalies.:greengrin
:wink:

LancashireHibby
25-06-2010, 01:54 PM
Bet you a pint he ends up the no 1 at a championship side at least or at a club in another country's top division!

Not a chance. I refer you to the incident at Killie last year when he dropped the ball at their guy's feet (Burchill, I think?) - I defended him at the time but watching the replay when I got home, it was an horrendous error, his techinque just isn't good enough.

Danderhall Hibs
25-06-2010, 02:07 PM
Bet you a pint he ends up the no 1 at a championship side at least or at a club in another country's top division!

I'll take that bet!

Danderhall Hibs
25-06-2010, 04:08 PM
You're on. Let's make one condition to make it reasonable.That would be to give him till half way through the season as a long stop date as he'll have to get used to his new surroundings?

Ok by 1/1/2011 he's to be number 1 at Championship level or in a top division of another country. I'd like to add the country has to have a league that's recognised as better than the SPL.

matty_f
25-06-2010, 05:23 PM

I'll take that bet!

Ok by 1/1/2011 he's to be number 1 at Championship level or in a top division of another country. I'd like to add the country has to have a league that's recognised as better than the SPL.

I'll take that one too. :agree:

blackpoolhibs
25-06-2010, 05:28 PM
He should make it at a level of club a little below the SPL, he's not good enough for any better imho. He'd make a great dancer, or autograph signer though.

Part/Time Supporter
26-06-2010, 08:51 AM
Ropey bet. I could just about see him playing for a dodgy team at the bottom of the Belgian top division, like the one Collins managed for a while.