PDA

View Full Version : David Villa - Role Model For Deeks?

brog
22-06-2010, 09:39 AM
Says it all really. Hopefully Derek is looking at what a hugely talented, slightly built, natural striker with 2 great feet is doing at the WC despite being played out of position on the left wing.
IMO Deek has same natural talent, if he applies same work ethics & positive thinking to his play as Villa he still has time to be a #1 choice for Scotland for many years. Grab the chance Derek, it only happens once!

Beefster
22-06-2010, 09:53 AM
Says it all really. Hopefully Derek is looking at what a hugely talented, slightly built, natural striker with 2 great feet is doing at the WC despite being played out of position on the left wing.
IMO Deek has same natural talent, if he applies same work ethics & positive thinking to his play as Villa he still has time to be a #1 choice for Scotland for many years. Grab the chance Derek, it only happens once!

Riordan has natural talent but he's nowhere near Villa's level. That's why Barcelona are paying £34m for Villa whereas Riordan can't get into the Scotland squad.

sh00byd00
22-06-2010, 09:58 AM
i'm all for bigging up our players, but get a grip ffs.

Cod Boy
22-06-2010, 10:16 AM
a role model for missing penalties?

Gus
22-06-2010, 10:43 AM
behave, there only likeness from what I can see is:

1. both played out on the left
2. they are both male

Sorry to p on the bonfire but Deek is not even close. Yes he has fantastic ability but If he had the ability of Villa, he would NOT be plying his trade @ ER

brog
22-06-2010, 10:48 AM
Riordan has natural talent but he's nowhere near Villa's level. That's why Barcelona are paying £34m for Villa whereas Riordan can't get into the Scotland squad.

I've been watching Hibs for over 50 years & IMO Riordan is our most naturally talented goalscorer since Joe Baker & trust me, Joe was certainly at least as equally talented as Villa. ( I've been fortunate enough to see Villa at Valencia ). Anyone who doubts Derek's natural ability should go on You Tube & look at his goals collection. They stand comparison with anyone.
Derek just needs to be more positive in his outlook, work harder & his best years could still be in front of him.

Hibernian Verse
22-06-2010, 12:24 PM
I've been watching Hibs for over 50 years & IMO Riordan is our most naturally talented goalscorer since Joe Baker & trust me, Joe was certainly at least as equally talented as Villa. ( I've been fortunate enough to see Villa at Valencia ). Anyone who doubts Derek's natural ability should go on You Tube & look at his goals collection. They stand comparison with anyone.
Derek just needs to be more positive in his outlook, work harder & his best years could still be in front of him.

I never saw Baker play so I'm not getting wide but how on earth can you compare Joe Baker with David Villa, given the many differences.

Pretty Boy
22-06-2010, 12:53 PM

Never saw Baker play so can't comment on a comparison between him and Villa.

However i can say any comparison between Deeks and Villa is utter nonsense. Yes his goals collection looks good on youtube but his goals are scored against the likes of Falkirk, Kilmarnock and St Johnstone. Even against the best sides in the country we are only talking Rangers and Celtc. Villa scores his goals against Atletico Madrid, Deportivo la Coruna and Sevilla regularly and the best teams he was competing against (pre transfer) were Barcelona and Real Madrid. I think what you missed out in you argument was that Deeks goal collection stands comparison with anyone AT THIS LEVEL and possibly one level up. He is light years away from being comparable to the top strikers in Europe, if he wasn't then there is no way he would be plying his trade at Hibs.

brog
22-06-2010, 12:58 PM
I never saw Baker play so I'm not getting wide but how on earth can you compare Joe Baker with David Villa, given the many differences.
The very first time I saw Villa play, for Zaragoza I think, I was struck by how similar in style he was to the great Joe. Fast, direct, good with both feet & exceptionally brave. Both of them never allow a defence a moment's peace. Villa's first goal last night was exactly what Joe did all the time, running hard & fast at opponents from outside the box. Joe was superb in air for, a then, average height guy of about 5.9 & Villa, also 5.9 is a good header of the ball but not in Joe's class :wink:.
Just to seal the deal it's obvious that Villa was a fan of Joe's as he's even adopted his 1960 quiff although he's obviously not as good-looking as Joe. :greengrin
Seriously, I've been a big fan of Villa's for many years & I really believe it was down to my instinctive recognition of his similarity in style to Joe.