PDA

View Full Version : A Different slant on the Riordan positional debate....

hibsboy90
22-06-2010, 12:44 AM
With all this talk of Stokes leaving, and how it would all be fine as Deek would replace him up front.

Yes Deek scored 17 from left mid, but if is moved upfront, then he's not going to score 17, plus take all 22 of Stokes goals and become a super striking 39 a season machine. If we had somebody (Garry O?) up fron with stoks then we would possibly have 3 players scoring 15+, coming from 3 positions.

To me it seems a bit selfish of Riordan to moan constantly about playing at left mid, and stating he'd score so many more. Unless he scores nearly 40 a season as striker, then surely it is in the best interest of the team to play him out wide with two strikers also scoring.

Thoughts?

aussie_hibee
22-06-2010, 03:50 AM
With all this talk of Stokes leaving, and how it would all be fine as Deek would replace him up front.

Yes Deek scored 17 from left mid, but if is moved upfront, then he's not going to score 17, plus take all 22 of Stokes goals and become a super striking 39 a season machine. If we had somebody (Garry O?) up fron with stoks then we would possibly have 3 players scoring 15+, coming from 3 positions.

To me it seems a bit selfish of Riordan to moan constantly about playing at left mid, and stating he'd score so many more. Unless he scores nearly 40 a season as striker, then surely it is in the best interest of the team to play him out wide with two strikers also scoring.

Thoughts?

Riordan wouldn't have to score 39 goals as there would be another striker to chip in also.

You have to look at the total goals from uor 2 strikers plus deeks.
22 from stokes
10? (not sure exactly) from Nish
17 from deeks at left mid. 49 total.

You could argue that if deeks goes up front and scores the same as stokes (22)
and for arguments sake Garry O comes in and scores 17 then the new left mid could score 10 and we're all even again.
Whilst 10 from left mid is a big ask, you have to remember that de graaf is known to score a few so if he gets 5 more than mcbride did then our left mid only needs to score 5.

There goals will always come as there is always someone else who steps up to the plate.

J-C
22-06-2010, 09:05 AM

Thoughts?

Thing is though, Deek was a regular 20+ striker in his first spell and I see no reason why he wouldn't do that again seeing he scored 17 from the wing. His goalscoring was done with GOC playing up front with him with Deek coming in from the inside left channel, just off GOC. So all you're doing is replacing one prolific scorer with another, Stokes wasn't really an out and out front man, he didn't have the power and strength to be one but he was a natural scorer, unfortunately a pretty greedy one also.

DirtyDeeds
22-06-2010, 04:06 PM
This has been my argument for ages but couldnt be bothered putting it down in words!! Riordan has to realise hes being played out there for the good of the team and not his own satisfaction and glory.

Say Riordan goes up front and scores 25 (which would still be 2 more than his best season playing as a striker from what I remember) we'd still need to find ourselves a wide left player who can give us 8-10 goals a season to ensure we werent losing out. When did we last have one of those?? How much would one cost??

The team benefits from his placement out there, as I think it would be much more realistic for us, on our budget, to find another striker likely to chip in with 15 goals than it would to find a wide player to get us 10.

We all love Riordan, faults and all, but we support Hibernian FC and not D. Riordan Ltd, my team and its success is much more important to me than his own drive success or him walking about with the petted lip in all honesty. It seems to me our most realistic mean of success is Riordan wide SUPPORTING and providing for 2 other strikers OR 1 striker and a Deek equivalent on the right. All IMO of course.

hibee4life1983
22-06-2010, 05:44 PM
Deek up front = goals.