PDA

View Full Version : NHC Uruguay v Mexico tomorrow

hibeemikey21
21-06-2010, 10:49 PM
What do you think the likely outcome is tomorrow? And, I know that may be a rhetorical question, but how "dressed up" does the game have to be?

The reason I ask is it seems an absolute certainty both teams will have a tacit (or otherwise :wink:) understanding/agreement to draw the game. Both teams will be desperate to progress and not risk anything.

Which brings me back to the final game of the season at E.R. a few years back where Rangers had the title sewn up, we had likewise for European football, so long as the score remained the same. The only players who saw the ball for the final few minutes were Kyrgiakos and Marvin Andrews as they passed the ball side to side. So where is the line drawn? Where is it match fixing, and where is it merely seeing out the game?

Anyone got any money on it out of interest? It seems to be one of those rare "put yer hoose on it" games. I got just over 2/1 for a 3 team accumulator of Spain, Argentina and a Draw for this tie.

Mon' the dishonesty and lack of integrity!

:thumbsup:

Woody1985
21-06-2010, 10:56 PM
Is it in the rule anywhere that the objective of the game is to win?

Is there anywhere that stipulates that teams cannot play for a draw?

I know there's a thin line but for the integrity of the game I think that the teams have to have a go for most of the match but when it gets to the last 15 mins or so then it's up to them.

Is there really any difference between a team setting out with 541 or 451 to stop a defeat/heavy defeat, they're not trying to win.

Captain Trips
21-06-2010, 11:17 PM
A draw is 4/5 at the moment

lapsedhibee
21-06-2010, 11:22 PM
Is it in the rule anywhere that the objective of the game is to win?

Aye. In the original rules "Play up, play up and play the game!" meant ....

Play up (1) - play to win
Play up (2) - play attacking fitba, up the park
Play the game - dinna cheat

In modern Fifaspeak, this is in the Laws as: A player must be cautioned if he "acts in a manner which shows disrespect for the game".

So shirley if five players on each side show disrespect twice during a game, they will be sent off and the match abandoned.

:wink:

hibsboy90
21-06-2010, 11:36 PM
I don't doubt that Fifa will have been in discussions with the official's involved in tomorrow's game, to make sure that the game is playd in the right spirit.

The whole football community is aware what a draw means, the referee is the one on the pitch who can attempt to keep up the spirit of the game. You could argue it's not really France's fault, it's down to scheduling. It just so happens that certains teams play each other last.

Frazerbob
22-06-2010, 08:11 AM
Surely they'lll both want to avoid Argentina in the next round though?

Sergio sledge
22-06-2010, 08:41 AM
I don't doubt that Fifa will have been in discussions with the official's involved in tomorrow's game, to make sure that the game is playd in the right spirit.

The whole football community is aware what a draw means, the referee is the one on the pitch who can attempt to keep up the spirit of the game. You could argue it's not really France's fault, it's down to scheduling. It just so happens that certains teams play each other last.

Don't see how you could argue that? If France had won both their games, or even one of their games, this situation wouldn't exist.

To be honest, If teams have performed such that they can afford to play for a draw in their final game, then fair play to them and they shouldn't be punished for it. Mexico and Uruguay deserve to go through, and France don't. I hope it is the most boring 0-0 draw ever, and heaps even more misery on the French football players.....

Hibbyradge
22-06-2010, 08:51 AM
I'll be amazed if it doesn't finish in a draw.

To go for a win would be foolhardy for either side, because that would mean risking defeat.

Why do that when the worst that can happen is you can win a pop at Argentina and play against Messi etc?

bingo70
22-06-2010, 08:54 AM

TBH i hadn't thought of that but it probably depends on what their ambitions were before the tournament, if they would both class getting out the group stages as a success then i don't think they would be overly bothered about facing Argentina, I doubt they've got any realistic ambitions of actually winning the tournament so possibly going out to Argentina would be more respectable than throwing away the chance to get out a difficuilt group.

mim
22-06-2010, 08:56 AM

This is a point that most people seem to be missing. A draw would be great for Uruguay, as they
would win the group.
That would leave Mexico to play Argentina (almost certainly).

I'm not too sure that Mexico will see that as the best way to go.

The game might still end in a draw, but I think Mexico will go for it and they are highly backable to
win the game.

Peevemor
22-06-2010, 08:57 AM
This is a point that most people seem to be missing. A draw would be great for Uruguay, as they
would win the group.

The game might still end in a draw, but I think Mexico will go for it and they are highly backable to
win the game.

:agree:

Houchy
22-06-2010, 09:04 AM
would win the group.

win the game.

Last week, I would have lumped on the draw but now that I've reflected on it, I've gone for a treble today of Mexico, France and Argentina. Pays an astonishing 12/1:thumbsup:

Hibbyradge
22-06-2010, 09:12 AM

Last week, I would have lumped on the draw but now that I've reflected on it, I've gone for a treble today of Mexico, France and Argentina. Pays an astonishing 12/1:thumbsup:

I wouldn't touch France with your money!

Peevemor
22-06-2010, 09:19 AM
I wouldn't touch France with your money!

I've no idea what to expect of France today.

They've underperformed for years with Domenech taking nearly all the blame. If they get knocked out then today is Domenech's last match in any case. However, with all the nonsense of the past couple of days, the French media and therefore public are now also turning on the players. Will this be enough to make them get their fingers out and play to their capabilities? : dunno:

Musselbound
22-06-2010, 09:24 AM
I've no idea what to expect of France today.

They've underperformed for years with Domenech taking nearly all the blame. If they get knocked out then today is Domenech's last match in any case. However, with all the nonsense of the past couple of days, the French media and therefore public are now also turning on the players. Will this be enough to make them get their fingers out and play to their capabilities? : dunno:

It seems the French players' heart simply isn't in it. I fancy SA to win this game.