PDA

View Full Version : Andy Murray

hibeemarley
21-06-2010, 10:31 PM
was in work earlier and saw andy Murray on the news holding up the mint away top. Couldn't hear it, what was it about?

BEEJ
21-06-2010, 10:48 PM
A good luck gift from Hibs FC, I think.

Kevvy1875
21-06-2010, 10:48 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/8752670.stm

Check that link mate:wink:

hibeemarley
21-06-2010, 10:53 PM
haha brilliant. We did that last year or the year before I'm sure and "I think" he may even have warmed up in it!?! pretty cool though.

Cheers for the link. :top marks

maximushibee
22-06-2010, 09:59 AM
Haha superb come on andy:thumbsup:

jgl07
22-06-2010, 10:41 AM
was in work earlier and saw andy Murray on the news holding up the mint away top. Couldn't hear it, what was it about?
Is that a Murray Mint?

HibbyAndy
22-06-2010, 10:43 AM
Good luck at Wimbers Andy :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Mon the Hibees :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

MacBean
22-06-2010, 11:02 AM
Ian giving his backing:
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20100621/murray-im-backing-andy-at-wimbledon_2262950_2067687

heretoday
22-06-2010, 01:17 PM
Come on Andy!

Pretty Boy
22-06-2010, 01:22 PM
Hope he pulls it out the bag.

He's had a pretty poor year since Melbourne but hopefully he's like Hibs in that he does something brilliant when everyone least expects it.

seanraff07
22-06-2010, 02:27 PM
Good luck Andy.:thumbsup:

Jim44
22-06-2010, 04:00 PM
First set to Murray although the first break of serve went against him. His opponent looked ok in the early stages but Murray has to be too strong for him over five sets.

HibbyAndy
22-06-2010, 05:14 PM
Very impressive :agree:

Pretty sure he is the only Brit left at Wimbers tae , And its only day 2 :bitchy::bitchy:

Westie1875
22-06-2010, 05:17 PM
Very impressive :agree:

Pretty sure he is the only Brit left at Wimbers tae , And its only day 2 :bitchy::bitchy:

Is Jamie not playing doubles this year?

HibbyAndy
22-06-2010, 05:20 PM
Is Jamie not playing doubles this year?

Oh yeah, I forgot about the doubles..No sure if its with Andy or another geezer..Its usually some one else at Wimbledon..Jamie mare than likely will be in the mixed doubles tae.

HUTCHYHIBBY
22-06-2010, 05:24 PM
Quite solid 1st match, probs just as well i never backed him tho!

hibeemarley
02-07-2010, 02:24 PM
big day for the guy. good luck to him.

wonder if he reads hibs.net as part of his pre match routine

cabbageandribs1875
02-07-2010, 05:26 PM
very very seldom watch tennis, but nadal appeared to be streets ahead of 'oor andy' yep :boo hoo: does this mean the english media make him scottish again ?

Aldo
02-07-2010, 05:35 PM
I think Murray is an excellent player however was totally outclassed by, for me a far superior player.

Nadal, as is federer, a player that has everything IMHO.

murray has a long way to go to win a grand slam TBH.

HibbyKeith
02-07-2010, 05:38 PM
very very seldom watch tennis, but nadal appeared to be streets ahead of 'oor andy' yep :boo hoo: does this mean the english media make him scottish again ?

They will indeed, tomorrows headlines reading something like, Murray OUT, poor scots display as he crashes out of SW1... Playing like a jambo.

like yourself i seldom watch tennis, really only wimbledon, Murray had no answer to Nadal's forehand, a bit unlucky to lose the 2nd set tie break with a net call.

Nadal now 4-3 up in head to head games against murray, no disgrace in that tbh.

always next year andy!

Arch Stanton
02-07-2010, 06:09 PM

I didn't see it as Nadal being streets ahead - Andy came close to winning the 2nd set and if the match had come to 1 set all then it could have been very different.

Nadal is a worthy world number one and Andy is good value for being 4th in the world - no shame in that I don't think. Getting this deep into the 2nd week of Wimbledon is good going and I can't actually see any of the media knocking it.

TornadoHibby
02-07-2010, 07:22 PM
I think Murray is an excellent player however was totally outclassed by, for me a far superior player.

Nadal, as is federer, a player that has everything IMHO.

murray has a long way to go to win a grand slam TBH.

I disagree as today's match was decided on between 5 or 6 points only otherwise there was nothing between the two! :agree:

Murray only really played 2 poor points in the first set but both were in the game he was broken on! The second set tie break was decided on a net cord shot from Nadal which took the ball away from Murray who was at the net capable of hitting a winner! The 3rd set proved to be a bigger mental issue for Andy and once he BELIEVES that he can beat Nadal in games like this he will close them out and WILL win Grand SLams IMO! :wink: :agree:

Audio Visual
02-07-2010, 07:33 PM
I disagree as today's match was decided on between 5 or 6 points only otherwise there was nothing between the two! :agree:

Murray only really played 2 poor points in the first set but both were in the game he was broken on! The second set tie break was decided on a net cord shot from Nadal which took the ball away from Murray who was at the net capable of hitting a winner! The 3rd set proved to be a bigger mental issue for Andy and once he BELIEVES that he can beat Nadal in games like this he will close them out and WILL win Grand SLams IMO! :wink: :agree:

At the end of the second set, Murray had won more points overall than Nadal. The difference between Nadal and Murray today was that Nadal can raise his game and pull it out when it really matters. It is the ability to continually do that which puts Nadal and Federer on a different level. Nothing for Murray to be too despondent about yet...

aberhibsfc
02-07-2010, 08:52 PM

I believe he will too, there's still more to come from him. Nadal is at his peak, Federer maybe headed past his.

My nerves were jangling all the way through that match, he put so much into that game. I'm gutted for him, he's worked so hard this is a real kick in the guts. But he has to suck it in and come back stronger, I believe he has got the game and the mentality. He will persevere and hopefully both will come together soon and break his grand slam duck.

This hasn't been an easy season for him, yep started off well but found it tough rest of season. If he can turn his game around from an early exit from Queens to a Semi-final at Wimbledon, he can end this season, put it behind him and come back stronger next year.

Mon the Murray.

Hope Jamie gets some partnerships sorted out for the singles and doubles. He's a good doubles player, just needs the right partners.

Mon the Murray's.

Mon the Hibs.

I was totally gutted for Andy today.

cabbageandribs1875
02-07-2010, 09:13 PM
They will indeed, tomorrows headlines reading something like, Murray OUT, poor scots display as he crashes out of SW1... Playing like a jambo.

:greengrin

like yourself i seldom watch tennis, really only wimbledon, Murray had no answer to Nadal's forehand, a bit unlucky to lose the 2nd set tie break with a net call.

Nadal now 4-3 up in head to head games against murray, no disgrace in that tbh.

:agree:

always next year andy!

I didn't see it as Nadal being streets ahead - Andy came close to winning the 2nd set and if the match had come to 1 set all then it could have been very different.

Nadal is a worthy world number one and Andy is good value for being 4th in the world - no shame in that I don't think. Getting this deep into the 2nd week of Wimbledon is good going and I can't actually see any of the media knocking it.

i actually could have worded it a bit better to be fair, that's the first tennis match i've watched since murray got beat last year(federer i think ?) and from what i remember from the first game...he was doing the same mistakes ? his first serve started being pretty crap, starting to hit the ball too long(and out obviously), the longer a rally went on he appeared to make the mistake, hitting it into the net when it appears easier to lift it over,and with the very last shot of the match(standing very near the net) he actually managed to hit it out the other side of the court ? now i dunno if that was meant to end the anguish even earlier...but if it wan't meant it was a terrible shot :greengrin does he start to lose concentration in vital matches ?

i also heard them saying before hand that he's beat nadal in the last two matches (i think) so maybe as someone above said it's a mental thing, i said to someone on msn after the first set that nadal would ground murray down and that's exactly what he started doing...i even thought he was toying with murray in the 3rd set(most likely not though i imagine) :boo hoo: he just didn't have the mental strength and i thought he was left relying on nadal mistakes to try and get something out of the match:agree: anyway....i'm no expert that's only the 2nd game i've watched in 12 months :greengrin dont like tennis

Sir David Gray
02-07-2010, 09:23 PM
Andy Murray will play worse (a lot worse at that) in the future and absolutely hammer his opponent.

There was practically nothing between the two of them, except when it came to the decisive points. Nadal was able to raise his game at the crucial stages of the match and, unfortunately, Murray was unable to do likewise.

Tennis is an extremely unforgiving sport. You can lose a match in straight sets and the score suggests that you've been hammered, but you can actually end up having won more points than your opponent, despite the result. In football, if you've lost 6-0, it normally means that you have been totally outclassed by the other team. In rugby, if you've lost by 50 points, it normally means that you have been totally outclassed by the other team. That is not the case with tennis.

I actually had to go out just as the last few games were played in the final set but from what I saw, I don't think Murray could have done any more and sometimes you just have to take your hat off to the player on the other side of the net. Nadal is an incredible athlete, one of the best athletes across the whole of the sporting world, and some of the balls that he is able to get to is just amazing.

The defining moment that shaped the whole match was the set point that Murray lost in the second set tie-break. Although I think Murray played well, it's just a point that Nadal would never lose when he's playing well and that is the biggest difference. There is often a very fine line between winning and losing, particularly in a tennis match, and if Murray had won that second set and subsequently levelled up the match at one set all, who knows how the match would have ended up. As it happens, Nadal went on to take the tie-break and he went two sets up, which gave Murray a mountain to climb.

The other moment that could have swung things back in Murray's favour was when he was 4-3 up in the third set and serving, having broken Nadal in the first game of the set. If Murray had held his serve in that eighth game, Nadal would have been serving to stay in the set and Murray could have got a set back. However, he played a poor service game and struggled to find his first serve and eventually Nadal broke back to get things back to 4-4. He then won the next two games and won the match.

Again, it's little things like that which define a tennis match and Nadal was able to play the big points better.

Andy Murray will no doubt be very disappointed tonight and probably for a few days afterwards as well. But once the dust settles and he reflects on his Wimbledon 2010 campaign, he will be more than satisfied with the way he played. It must be so frustrating for him to have come so close to reaching the Wimbledon final two years running, only to have been stopped in the last four on both occasions. But in those two matches, he was beaten by Andy Roddick when the American played one of the matches of his life and, today, Rafael Nadal was just at his brilliant best.

I don't think Murray has anything to be disappointed about and hopefully he can come back next year a little bit stronger, a little bit better and he can go one step further.

aberhibsfc
02-07-2010, 11:04 PM
Andy Murray will play worse (a lot worse at that) in the future and absolutely hammer his opponent.

There was practically nothing between the two of them, except when it came to the decisive points. Nadal was able to raise his game at the crucial stages of the match and, unfortunately, Murray was unable to do likewise.

Tennis is an extremely unforgiving sport. You can lose a match in straight sets and the score suggests that you've been hammered, but you can actually end up having won more points than your opponent, despite the result. In football, if you've lost 6-0, it normally means that you have been totally outclassed by the other team. In rugby, if you've lost by 50 points, it normally means that you have been totally outclassed by the other team. That is not the case with tennis.

I actually had to go out just as the last few games were played in the final set but from what I saw, I don't think Murray could have done any more and sometimes you just have to take your hat off to the player on the other side of the net. Nadal is an incredible athlete, one of the best athletes across the whole of the sporting world, and some of the balls that he is able to get to is just amazing.

The defining moment that shaped the whole match was the set point that Murray lost in the second set tie-break. Although I think Murray played well, it's just a point that Nadal would never lose when he's playing well and that is the biggest difference. There is often a very fine line between winning and losing, particularly in a tennis match, and if Murray had won that second set and subsequently levelled up the match at one set all, who knows how the match would have ended up. As it happens, Nadal went on to take the tie-break and he went two sets up, which gave Murray a mountain to climb.

The other moment that could have swung things back in Murray's favour was when he was 4-3 up in the third set and serving, having broken Nadal in the first game of the set. If Murray had held his serve in that eighth game, Nadal would have been serving to stay in the set and Murray could have got a set back. However, he played a poor service game and struggled to find his first serve and eventually Nadal broke back to get things back to 4-4. He then won the next two games and won the match.

Again, it's little things like that which define a tennis match and Nadal was able to play the big points better.

Andy Murray will no doubt be very disappointed tonight and probably for a few days afterwards as well. But once the dust settles and he reflects on his Wimbledon 2010 campaign, he will be more than satisfied with the way he played. It must be so frustrating for him to have come so close to reaching the Wimbledon final two years running, only to have been stopped in the last four on both occasions. But in those two matches, he was beaten by Andy Roddick when the American played one of the matches of his life and, today, Rafael Nadal was just at his brilliant best.

I don't think Murray has anything to be disappointed about and hopefully he can come back next year a little bit stronger, a little bit better and he can go one step further.
:agree:

2 steps would be even sweeter.

HibbyAndy
03-07-2010, 08:15 AM
Murray is in an era with arguably the 2 best ever tennis players in Nadal and Federer.

Will Murray ever win a major? Yes he will IMO.

If he had managed to take the set when he had set point it may have been oh so different.

Losing in the semi to Nadal is no shame, Heid up Andy son, Your time will come.

TornadoHibby
03-07-2010, 08:24 AM

:top marks

Top post and an excellent summary of a great match! :wink:

HibbyAndy
03-07-2010, 08:28 AM
Great post FalkirkHibee

In last years semi at Wimbledon Murray actually won more points than Roddick but lost the match.