PDA

View Full Version : latest from hibs.net: On Foreign Fields - Part 6

DaveF
21-06-2010, 08:42 PM
On the front page now is John Campbell's excellent continuing story of Hibernian FC's european battles.

This week it's Besa, Sporting Lisbon and Leeds.....

http://www.hibs.net/content.php?91-On-Foreign-Fields-(6)

DaveF
22-06-2010, 09:06 AM
bump :greengrin

IberianHibernian
22-06-2010, 10:22 PM
bump :greengrinEnjoying reading these articles especially from part 5 onwards as my first European game was at home to Victoria Guimaraes (for some reason I remember seeing a young Kenny Davidson playing for us- I was at Dunbar End but seem to remember goals being at Cave End in bright sunshine - lights or late summer daylight ? ) . Sporting Lisbon home game is still my favourite game of all time though in those days it was more common than now for away teams to be thrashed . Leeds game at Holy Ground was mermorable though I remember Leeds had a near reserve team that night (very unusual in those days -now it would be quite normal ) . btw posting this here as I can`t see way to post reply without quote in comments section of article .

Jonnyboy
22-06-2010, 10:26 PM
Enjoying reading these articles especially from part 5 onwards as my first European game was at home to Victoria Guimaraes (for some reason I remember seeing a young Kenny Davidson playing for us- I was at Dunbar End but seem to remember goals being at Cave End in bright sunshine - lights or late summer daylight ? ) . Sporting Lisbon home game is still my favourite game of all time though in those days it was more common than now for away teams to be thrashed . Leeds game at Holy Ground was mermorable though I remember Leeds had a near reserve team that night (very unusual in those days -now it would be quite normal ) . btw posting this here as I can`t see way to post reply without quote in comments section of article .

Thanks for all of that IH. Am glad the articles are bringing back good memories :thumbsup:

Phil D. Rolls
23-06-2010, 09:22 AM
Great read as always. I remember being slightly embarrassed after the Leeds game at ER when Tom Hart tried to get a replay because Don Revie was on the pitch at the last penalty.

I think it's hard for younger supporters to realise how big a result beating that Leeds side would have been. These are the guys who feature in the Damned United, and they were far and away Britain's biggest club at the time.