PDA

View Full Version : Commentators... [good ones]

steakbake
21-06-2010, 03:57 PM
Alright, Alan Green is a fud. Mick McCarthy is a waste of air time and Adrian Chiles makes Alan Partridge look serious.

But good ones - Roy Hodgson. How much does he know about football? What does this man not know about football? Truly a diamond in amongst the sh**.

Last night he was on about Chapter 4 in a book about Defending - leaving the rest of the panellists looking stupid. I think he's tremendous.

Views?

Dunkin' Donut
21-06-2010, 04:07 PM
roy hodgson is a genius, wish there was more people like him in the game of football. in terms commentators jonathan pearce is good and so is clive tyldsley.

GlesgaeHibby
21-06-2010, 05:34 PM
roy hodgson is a genius, wish there was more people like him in the game of football. in terms commentators jonathan pearce is good and so is clive tyldsley.

:bitchy: He is awful! He's one of the main reasons I'd never support England as he is such an arrogant tosser.

Mibbes Aye
21-06-2010, 06:18 PM
Alright, Alan Green is a fud. Mick McCarthy is a waste of air time and Adrian Chiles makes Alan Partridge look serious.

But good ones - Roy Hodgson. How much does he know about football? What does this man not know about football? Truly a diamond in amongst the sh**.

Last night he was on about Chapter 4 in a book about Defending - leaving the rest of the panellists looking stupid. I think he's tremendous.

Views?

I've not heard Hodgson but I agree, the lack of informed commentary is a disgrace.

I think part of the problem is that the likes of Green are probably very good commentators but shouldn't be fulfilling the role of analysts. That's what the co-commentator should be doing - giving an incisive breakdown of what's actually going on tactically, or from the perspective of the opposing team managers.

We get the latter to a certain extent but never in anything approaching an articulate manner. Football fans are voracious in their desire to talk about the game, to learn about the game and we all have a huge range of opinions on every aspect of the game.

We deserve far, far better in the standard of co-commentary and punditry than we get just now and that's true for practically every TV and radio outlet we have access to.

Lmc2105
21-06-2010, 06:20 PM
Paul Mitchell BBC :wink:

seanraff07
21-06-2010, 06:25 PM
Hodgson's knowlegde on the game seems far more advanced than the rest of them. Should rush to the MOTD studio after match days so we don't have to listen to the tosspot that is Mark Lawrenson.:bitchy:

ekhibee
21-06-2010, 07:09 PM
Of the ones in the studio, on BBC anyway, I'd probably say Lee Dixon is the one who speaks most sense IMO. Roy Hodgson on ITV is also worth listening to as well. Showing my ignorance here, but I can't really understand what Adebayor is saying most of the time, and Hanson is just a pain in the arse. All the time. Lawrenson is just a boring old fanny.

Iggy Pope
21-06-2010, 07:20 PM
Of the ones in the studio, on BBC anyway, I'd probably say Lee Dixon is the one who speaks most sense IMO. Roy Hodgson on ITV is also worth listening to as well. Showing my ignorance here, but I can't really understand what Adebayor is saying most of the time, and Hanson is just a pain in the arse. All the time. Lawrenson is just a boring old fanny.

Hodgson and Lee Dixon were diiscussing the Swiss defending / offside today and Hodgson advised the panel that although he was a defender himself, he was nowhere as good as as Lee Dixon. And he didn't say it with humour he said it with humility.
Mark of the man I think and I cannot imagine anything like that coming from Lawrenson, Hansen or McCarthy.
Mind you if it had been McCarthy sitting alongside him he might not have been so gracious.....

renato
21-06-2010, 07:34 PM
The best analyst by far this year is Clarence Seedorf. Informed, bright, articulate, humerous and knowledgable, the guy is a pleasure to listen to and has a far better grasp of English than Hansen.

And before Clarence, Leonardo was also the most watchable guy on the BBC.

Pretty poor considering a British channel needs foreign personalities to give its football analysis credibility.

Mibbes Aye
21-06-2010, 07:34 PM
Hodgson and Lee Dixon were diiscussing the Swiss defending / offside today and Hodgson advised the panel that although he was a defender himself, he was nowhere as good as as Lee Dixon. And he didn't say it with humour he said it with humility.
Mark of the man I think and I cannot imagine anything like that coming from Lawrenson, Hansen or McCarthy.
Mind you if it had been McCarthy sitting alongside him he might not have been so gracious.....

:greengrin

Hodgson always seems to come across very well in interviews as a manager.

Dixon and Winterburn have also always seemed to be decent enough for co-commentary etc and Martin Keown in particular has been very good when I've heard him. Makes you wonder whether it's a Wenger influence.

hibsbollah
21-06-2010, 07:50 PM
Theres no actual commentators I like. In terms of armchair pundits, Lee Dixon is the best.

Hermit Crab
21-06-2010, 08:18 PM
Bring back Barry Davies he was the best commentator IMO. Whatever happened to him anyway? Is he retired now?

Hibs On Tour
21-06-2010, 08:25 PM

Loved the bit also where he said that he "must be old-fashioned" because he doesn't like it "when a player gets hit in the chest then goes down holding their face". That was in response to a glib remark made about it being understandable for a player to make the most of a challenge...

PISTOL1875
21-06-2010, 08:29 PM
Jim Beglin is the business...

jgl07
21-06-2010, 08:29 PM

Views?
Well you have totally confused commentators (the ones at the match with microphones) with analysts (the ones in the studio with play back facilities) and anchors (the one who cracks the jokes).

Roy Hodgson is acting as an analyst. Adrian Chiles is the anchor.

Hiber-nation
21-06-2010, 09:34 PM
Bring back Barry Davies he was the best commentator IMO. Whatever happened to him anyway? Is he retired now?

I'm sure that's him commentating on Wimbledon as we speak...BBC 1 red button.

Gatecrasher
21-06-2010, 09:53 PM
Stan the man

Jones28
21-06-2010, 10:02 PM
Ian Crocker :agree:

HibbiesandtheBaddies
21-06-2010, 10:07 PM
Ian Crokers decent

Gatecrasher
21-06-2010, 10:08 PM
Ian Crocker :agree:

Ian Crokers decent

agreed!

its a pity he's usually paired with a total plank though

(((Fergus)))
22-06-2010, 12:53 AM
I know it's wrong but I enjoyed listening to Robbie Savage co-commentating on NZ v Italy (5 Live). His excitement was genuine rather than trained for radio and I found myself getting drawn into a game in a way that I've never really experienced before on radio or TV.

In a similarly childlike vein, Chris Moyles and his friend (neither of whom I listen to otherwise) made the Germany v Serbia game a lot more entertaining than it would have been with say the routine 'passion' of Jonathan Pearce (bring back Robot Wars) or the unenlightening disdain of Mick McCarthy.

mickki40
22-06-2010, 05:14 AM
Worked with him a few years ago in Newcastle United's foray into Europe for Channel 5, Could do with him in South Africa, a very balanced individual who is very fair when it comes to summarising games, and to top it all a bloody nice guy who has managed never to get his head stuck up his own arse.

mickki40
22-06-2010, 05:16 AM
I know it's wrong but I enjoyed listening to Robbie Savage co-commentating on NZ v Italy (5 Live). His excitement was genuine rather than trained for radio and I found myself getting drawn into a game in a way that I've never really experienced before on radio or TV.

In a similarly childlike vein, Chris Moyles and his friend (neither of whom I listen to otherwise) made the Germany v Serbia game a lot more entertaining than it would have been with say the routine 'passion' of Jonathan Pearce (bring back Robot Wars) or the unenlightening disdain of Mick McCarthy.
Your right about Savage, I listened to his commentary and his post match interview with the Kiwi's he was well chuffed for them genuinely, you could hear his smile coming through the radio.

Betty Boop
22-06-2010, 05:56 AM
Worked with him a few years ago in Newcastle United's foray into Europe for Channel 5, Could do with him in South Africa, a very balanced individual who is very fair when it comes to summarising games, and to top it all a bloody nice guy who has managed never to get his head stuck up his own arse.

Pat Nevin is in South Africa, as a pundit for Five Live. He has mentioned Hibs a few times, when New Zealand were playing. :greengrin

steakbake
22-06-2010, 06:39 AM
Well you have totally confused commentators (the ones at the match with microphones) with analysts (the ones in the studio with play back facilities) and anchors (the one who cracks the jokes).

Roy Hodgson is acting as an analyst. Adrian Chiles is the anchor.

Yeah, sorry about that :rolleyes:

NORTHERNHIBBY
22-06-2010, 07:54 AM
What about Mick McCarthy last night with another sprinkling of comedy gold when Portugal started the second half one up......." Do Portugal open up and go for it?.....I don't think so". Just superb.:rolleyes:

As for that Clive Tyldsley sort, did you hear him saying that nobody should get carried away about Spain's chances after that performance last night. Same boy that was almost predicting that the trophy was in the bag for Engerlund after they went one up against the septic tanks.:dummytit:

hibsbollah
22-06-2010, 08:13 AM

I dont get the Nevin love-in at all:confused: I know he's a Hibby and whatever but I find him very irritating, using the fact that he can actually string a sentence together to hide his lack of an interesting point of view.

He was commentating on the derby on 5Live when Deeks scored his penalty at Tynecastle, and he was furious when Riordan celebrated, Nevin was basically blaming Riordan for the whole 'Casper' incident. Maybe this was him trying to hard to appear 'balanced and fair' as the 12th Man says....but it made him sound detached from reality.

Billychaotic182
22-06-2010, 08:24 AM
murdo macleod

dangermouse
22-06-2010, 01:00 PM

Reduced to commentating on "Dancing on Ice"

mickki40
22-06-2010, 01:01 PM
Pat Nevin is in South Africa, as a pundit for Five Live. He has mentioned Hibs a few times, when New Zealand were playing. :greengrin
Need him on every game though, I just like the guy as an independant commentator and summariser

heretoday
22-06-2010, 01:14 PM
It just goes to show there's no accounting for taste.

Personally, I listen to any commentator or pundit who is actually involved in the game now at the top level. That means the likes of Hodgson and McCarthy.

What I fail to understand is why Hansen continues to sit in a studio giving us the benefit of his surly opinions.

For what it's worth I'm coming round to the view that the ITV studio is less annoying to watch than the BBC one.