PDA

View Full Version : Marc Laird

GazJ
19-06-2010, 06:28 PM
Hi all.
First let me say i'm a Millwall fan (please don't hold that against me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!).
Apparently there is a rumour down here that our out of contract midfielder Marc Laird has been in negotiations over a move to your club.
First has anyone else heard this rumour? (please note that Millwall have also offered Laird a new one year deal).

Secondly here is my opinion about Laird, he is a little bit light weight but he does give 100%. Do not expect him to score many goals as he is not in truth a box to box midfielder and is probably better suited to a defensive midfield role, his range of passing is good and he does excel at doing the simple things ie:he can win the ball and then give simple passes to those with superior attacking skills.

Anyway good luck for the upcoming season, and hopefully you stuff the old firm everytime you play them.

DC_Hibs
19-06-2010, 06:35 PM
Hasn't been any news at this end.

A lightweight midfielder isn't top of my wishlist for Hibs.

PaulSmith
19-06-2010, 06:35 PM
Hi all.
First let me say i'm a Millwall fan (please don't hold that against me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!).
Apparently there is a rumour down here that our out of contract midfielder Marc Laird has been in negotiations over a move to your club.
First has anyone else heard this rumour? (please note that Millwall have also offered Laird a new one year deal).

Secondly here is my opinion about Laird, he is a little bit light weight but he does give 100%. Do not expect him to score many goals as he is not in truth a box to box midfielder and is probably better suited to a defensive midfield role, his range of passing is good and he does excel at doing the simple things ie:he can win the ball and then give simple passes to those with superior attacking skills.

Anyway good luck for the upcoming season, and hopefully you stuff the old firm everytime you play them.

Cheers mate, not heard anything about that one but just do one thing this season and ensure that Harris enjoys his testimonial. :wink:

H18sry
19-06-2010, 06:37 PM
Hi all.

I hope you give all the yamfuds a good going over when they come down for a pre-season friendly :agree:

ronaldo7
19-06-2010, 06:40 PM
Born in Edinburgh. Maybe wants to come home to the only football club in the Capital:thumbsup:

He's also 6ft 1in woo hoo

Sergey
19-06-2010, 06:45 PM
I hope you give all the yamfuds a good going over when they come down for a pre-season friendly :agree:

The Millwall lads need to watch out though. Aren't Hearts taking down their top mob :faf:

PaulSmith
19-06-2010, 06:51 PM
Born in Edinburgh. Maybe wants to come home to the only football club in the Capital:thumbsup:

He's also 6ft 1in woo hoo

Ah, thought it might be him. I'm sure he was with Plymouth then was released, remember his bro Chris from years back.
Both hearts fans but counts for jack these days

PaulSmith
19-06-2010, 06:55 PM
http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=369&fid=180&act=1&mid=2121189642

degenerated
19-06-2010, 07:04 PM
The Millwall lads need to watch out though. Aren't Hearts taking down their top mob :faf:

its difficult tell, they are only recognisable by the soles of their trainers and the backs of their heads :greengrin

Speedway
19-06-2010, 07:07 PM
Our chairman met with his agent (dad?) a couple of weeks back.

Someone who posts on here was on the same train as our chairman and later it emerged that it was Laird's agent that he'd gone to meet.

ronaldo7
19-06-2010, 07:09 PM
Ah, thought it might be him. I'm sure he was with Plymouth then was released, remember his bro Chris from years back.
Both hearts fans but counts for jack these days

Man City as a youth and loaned out to a couple of clubs before going to the Den.

Diclonius
19-06-2010, 07:11 PM
A taller, more physical Kevin McBride? :dunno:

That'd do me. Hope the deal goes through.

GazJ
19-06-2010, 07:22 PM
Cheers mate, not heard anything about that one but just do one thing this season and ensure that Harris enjoys his testimonial. :wink:

Trust me he will and so will the fans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

Jack
19-06-2010, 08:22 PM
Hibs could be in talks with Max Cilifford and no one would hear about it until after he had signed.
We've just signed a decent box to box midfielder which was a surprise to us all.

mentalhibee
19-06-2010, 08:51 PM
I was mates with lairdo at school, he trained with Man U for about 2 years then when it came to signing his first professional contract he went with Man City. He's a similar style of player to darren fletcher, good professional and full of energy. I think John Collins tried to get him on loan when he was gaffer. I reckon he'd be a good signing, he is a jambo though:rolleyes:.

Pretty Boy
19-06-2010, 08:53 PM
Played both with and against him at youth level.

Good player then but have no idea how he has progressed in the last few years.

100% jambo although that doesn't really matter these days.

Www1875hfc
19-06-2010, 09:31 PM
its difficult tell, they are only recognisable by the soles of their trainers and the backs of their heads :greengrin

:faf::faf::faf:

And rarely show up for derbies..:greengrin

On a serious note though,not heard anything regarding laird at this end,but cheers for the info.

Hope the new den is ready for the influx of vermin,they are certainly bumpin ther gums up here what ther gonnae do down south.:wink:

blairwallace
19-06-2010, 10:08 PM
http://www.independentmillwall.com/phpBB2/search.php?fid[]=1

sound "useless" to me
and eh gaz?
do everyone a favor and smash the jambos during and after the game :thumbsup:

Bobo
19-06-2010, 10:15 PM
Why would we want someone who would offer absolutely nothing to the team? A poor mans Ross Chisholm who would quite possibly be one of the worst signings ever made by any Hibs manager.

I seriously hope that there's no foundation to the rumour. :rolleyes:

500miles
19-06-2010, 11:01 PM
It would seem that Laird had a poor season just there, but has played some good games for Millwall - going by the posts on the Millwall forum.

He's at a good age, but where he needs to get to adding consistancy to his game. I know it's just a rumour, but it could be an interesting one.

Borders Hibby
20-06-2010, 04:49 AM
http://www.independentmillwall.com/phpBB2/search.php?fid[]=1

sound "useless" to me
and eh gaz?
do everyone a favor and smash the jambos during and after the game :thumbsup:

They make us look like happy clappers!! Must be their whole midfield slated, including the guy whose testimonial is coming up. If he comes lets give him a chance. Was Chris Hackett at the ****bos?

GazJ
20-06-2010, 05:50 AM
They make us look like happy clappers!! Must be their whole midfield slated, including the guy whose testimonial is coming up. If he comes lets give him a chance. Was Chris Hackett at the ****bos?

Yes he was, that's where we got him from.

Borders Hibby
20-06-2010, 06:56 AM
Yes he was, that's where we got him from.

Good luck with life in the Championship!

Golden Bear
20-06-2010, 07:09 AM
Q the yams now declaring an interest in signing this player.

H18sry
20-06-2010, 07:26 AM
Fans dont seem to rate him http://www.independentmillwall.com/phpBB2/search.php?keywords=laird&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&sid=bb1dbb1147dfccb405ec5e2e80f9776b&submit=Search

GazJ
20-06-2010, 09:36 AM
A note for you the people that are slating Laird are the same ones that were slagging off Steve Morison at the start of the season, and he did ok for us. In truth he probably needs a move away from The Den or risk his career stagnating.

TowerHibs
20-06-2010, 09:39 AM
know marc from schoold/boys club days.

From what i remember, he came off from a school game crying cause his hands were cold at 16 year old mind......imagine my shock to see he'd signed for Millwall.

Not sure bout this, first reaction is no thanks - he lost his place in a league 1 Millwall and is a bit of ponce.

Plus points, fantastic passer of a ball and i've not really seen him play for a while so be unfair to say he's gash

GazJ
20-06-2010, 09:46 AM
know marc from schoold/boys club days.

From what i remember, he came off from a school game crying cause his hands were cold at 16 year old mind......imagine my shock to see he'd signed for Millwall.

Not sure bout this, first reaction is no thanks - he lost his place in a league 1 Millwall and is a bit of ponce.

Plus points, fantastic passer of a ball and i've not really seen him play for a while so be unfair to say he's gash

It would have been unfair on Jimmy Abdou and Liam Trotter who were excellent for us towards the end of the season in central midfield and were one of the major reasons we went so close to gaining automatic promotion,as the adage goes you don't change a winning team. I thought Laird never let us down, but it would appear I might be in the minority.

H18sry
20-06-2010, 11:05 AM
It would have been unfair on Jimmy Abdou and Liam Trotter who were excellent for us towards the end of the season in central midfield and were one of the major reasons we went so close to gaining automatic promotion,as the adage goes you don't change a winning team. I thought Laird never let us down, but it would appear I might be in the minority.

Are you Marc or his agent :wink:

Cabbage1875
20-06-2010, 11:53 AM
Very underwhelmed by the prospect of this, played with Marc as a lad and he was a decent passer of the ball but when it came down to a battle he didnt want to know. My mate is a Southend fan as well and does not give Marc a glowing reference whatsoever.

Would obviously give him a chance if he ever signed for the Hibs but not exactly doing cartwheels here.

brog
20-06-2010, 12:06 PM
We were definitely interested in Marc but I would imagine the signing of Big Ed would have put that to rest. Good luck to Millwall, both against Yams & for the rest of the season.

Hibs On Tour
20-06-2010, 04:22 PM

:yawn:

Nae offence if its meant in jest but that kind of comment is usually made by someone who wasn't part of that scene or at least hasn't evolved enough to realise that *all* mobs had good lads and mugs and that *all* mobs had good days and bad days. All this "ah've/we've never been done/run" pish makes me laugh 'cos its total bollocks as anyone in the know will confirm.

I remember being in Bonds with a lot of the SNF enjoying the hospitality of the resident ladies one summer when someone came out with exactly the statement above to someone - top lad from his own firm gave him a slap round the back of his head and chucked him out of the door for making such a muggy comment.

HIBERNIAN 1875
20-06-2010, 04:44 PM
Heard from a very reliable source Laird is having talks at ER tomorrow.

IWasThere2016
20-06-2010, 06:11 PM
Its not De Graaf or Laird - its Laird or O'Brien.

If we offer terms to Laird this week I think we will withdraw the offer to O'Brien.

Dunbar Hibee
20-06-2010, 07:51 PM
We were definitely interested in Marc but I would imagine the signing of Big Ed would have put that to rest. Good luck to Millwall, both against Yams & for the rest of the season.

**** Millwall, i hope they do the yams but they are an equally horrible football club.

Borders Hibby
21-06-2010, 06:32 AM
**** Millwall, i hope they do the yams but they are an equally horrible football club.

Thats a bit harsh, sure they have a horible violent element and a chequered history of violence but then did you ever wtness "Hibs" casuals in the nineties. Would hate to think that made us a horrible club. And no one is a horrible and manky as anything in maroon!:agree:

Brooster
21-06-2010, 06:56 AM

If we offer terms to Laird this week I think we will withdraw the offer to O'Brien.

From what I'm lead to believe Hibs have dropped their interest in O'Brien.

IWasThere2016
21-06-2010, 07:28 AM
From what I'm lead to believe Hibs have dropped their interest in O'Brien.

Good - he had an offer from RP but is obviously looking elsewhere

Brooster
21-06-2010, 07:32 AM
Good - he had an offer from RP but is obviously looking elsewhere

I heard he didn't have an offer from Hibs.

IWasThere2016
21-06-2010, 07:33 AM
I heard he didn't have an offer from Hibs.

2 years (allegedly)

Speedway
21-06-2010, 08:18 AM
I believe it was two years also. BO'B was stalling on signing due to having options in England.

brog
21-06-2010, 08:22 AM
Thats a bit harsh, sure they have a horible violent element and a chequered history of violence but then did you ever wtness "Hibs" casuals in the nineties. Would hate to think that made us a horrible club. And no one is a horrible and manky as anything in maroon!:agree:

Absolutely, I live in South London & know many great guys who are Millwall fans & care passionately about their team. They're not dissimilar to Hibs in many ways, mostly originally working class fans from the less advantaged part of a great city. They were also founded by Scots. As BH says, don't let the BNP idiots blind you to the fact that the great majority of their fans are passionate supporters cheering on a small team & staying loyal while competing against likes of Arsenal, Chelsea & Spurs.

Borders Hibby
21-06-2010, 08:30 AM
Absolutely, I live in South London & know many great guys who are Millwall fans & care passionately about their team. They're not dissimilar to Hibs in many ways, mostly originally working class fans from the less advantaged part of a great city. They were also founded by Scots. As BH says, don't let the BNP idiots blind you to the fact that the great majority of their fans are passionate supporters cheering on a small team & staying loyal while competing against likes of Arsenal, Chelsea & Spurs.

Reminds me of Partick Thistle fans, great respect as they are passionate about their club and dont just follow the sheep to support the huge clubs in the same town. Similarities to Hibs to, newish stadium, sensible owner and a real drive to be a family club with a slow structured plan for growth. I hope the minority doesnt spoil it for them!!!:agree:

Jack
21-06-2010, 08:34 AM

I love when folk let bygones be bygones.

I think however there are some who don’t.

I recall about this time last year when there were rumours we were playing Millwall in a pre season friendly. There were a few on each side on the fans message boards intend on getting revenge for things said and done in the past.

Small minded hard men with big keyboards? Maybe??

GazJ
21-06-2010, 10:28 AM
I love when folk let bygones be bygones.

I think however there are some who don’t.

I recall about this time last year when there were rumours we were playing Millwall in a pre season friendly. There were a few on each side on the fans message boards intend on getting revenge for things said and done in the past.

Small minded hard men with big keyboards? Maybe??

Update on this story it is being reported on our official website that Marc Laird is signing a new one year contract with Millwall, so it would appear this rumour is dead in the water.
Anyway good luck for the new season.

Winston Ingram
21-06-2010, 01:11 PM
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12875_6218299,00.html

that'll be that then:bye:

CapitalHibs
21-06-2010, 01:17 PM
O'Brien? Laird? Can the third option be any better?:confused:

Greenblood70
21-06-2010, 03:09 PM
O'Brien? Laird? Can the third option be any better?:confused:

I'm not exactly greetin' we're not signing them either.

Seem the complete opposite of the positions and type of player we really need. Slightly worrying we're being linked with players like this at all imo as they don't seem any better than what we already have.

Andy74
21-06-2010, 03:23 PM
What is worrying about random names being mentioned by nobodies?

The one player we have signed was captain of a decent Dutch team. Best just to ignore the pish and wait for the announcements from hibs.

Iggy Pope
21-06-2010, 03:31 PM

I went to the New Den late last season on a visit to London.
They pumped Stockport upside down. Tidy stadium, good atmosphere, friendly locals.
Some of the garbage that gets written about Millwall by people who should, but don't know any better is astonishing.

Now Leeds on the other hand.............................................. .

Spike Mandela
21-06-2010, 03:45 PM

Talk about between a rock and a hard place. Make a choice between crap and crapper:bitchy:

Surely Hibs can attempt to sign better than this, we already have Rankin, McBride and Stevenson et al. Jorneymen par excellence, we don't need more.

Greenblood70
21-06-2010, 04:15 PM
What is worrying about random names being mentioned by nobodies?

The one player we have signed was captain of a decent Dutch team. Best just to ignore the pish and wait for the announcements from hibs.

Seemed to be a good number of posters on here with decent reputations for this type of thing backing up the rumours Andy.

Here's hoping we hear a right back and a decent centre half are signed in plenty time for the start of the season.

orourke
21-06-2010, 06:07 PM
Hibs did go down and watch Marc Laird playing against Huddersfield on April the 16th, after the game they discussed terms and advised they would be back in touch the next week, Marc then recieved a phone call from Hibs saying that Rod was unavailable for a meeting as Gordon Smith had resigned at the sfa, they said that they would reschedule but never came back,
Marc was offered a 1 year deal at Millwall a few weeks back but stalled on accepting incase something else came in, eventually he signed his extension as it did not look like we were going back in for him,

Bobo
21-06-2010, 06:27 PM
Hibs did go down and watch Marc Laird playing against Huddersfield on April the 16th, after the game they discussed terms and advised they would be back in touch the next week, Marc then recieved a phone call from Hibs saying that Rod was unavailable for a meeting as Gordon Smith had resigned at the sfa, they said that they would reschedule but never came back,
Marc was offered a 1 year deal at Millwall a few weeks back but stalled on accepting incase something else came in, eventually he signed his extension as it did not look like we were going back in for him,

I'd have serious reservations about the aspirations of our club if this is the case and find it rediculous to think that there might even have been any form of dialogue.

Unbelievable!

HibeeMG
21-06-2010, 07:50 PM
I'd have serious reservations about the aspirations of our club if this is the case and find it rediculous to think that there might even have been any form of dialogue.

Unbelievable!

So given everything that is happening with our club i.e. new stand, training ground, debt clearing. Also the fact that our one signing so far this close season has been met with almost unanimous approval.

Yet, you still question the aspiration of the club because they may or may not have had discussions with a player that you probably know nothing about.

I agree, unbelievable!

Bobo
21-06-2010, 08:14 PM
So given everything that is happening with our club i.e. new stand, training ground, debt clearing. Also the fact that our one signing so far this close season has been met with almost unanimous approval.

Yet, you still question the aspiration of the club because they may or may not have had discussions with a player that you probably know nothing about.

I agree, unbelievable!

I agree that the club have done fantastically with their off-field handling of the running of our club but as much as it's commendable I don't want to just sit and admire the new stand, pitch, training centre, strips etc.

It's the product on the park that interests me and in that respect the signing of such a player would be unbelievable.

blackpoolhibs
21-06-2010, 09:24 PM

Unbelievable!

Just stick to the facts, you know, europe, new training centre, new stand. All real. Rumours from someone on a message board mean nowt, and should be treated as such.

Mibbes Aye
21-06-2010, 09:45 PM
I agree that the club have done fantastically with their off-field handling of the running of our club but as much as it's commendable I don't want to just sit and admire the new stand, pitch, training centre, strips etc.

It's the product on the park that interests me and in that respect the signing of such a player would be unbelievable.

For a good few windows now we've signed some very good players. That's contributed to our progression.

I've never seen Marc Laird play (and it appears likely I never will :greengrin). If I had seen Kevin McBride play before he fetched up in a Hibs jersey I can't remember it and given I barely recognised his name, and the Falkirk forums seemed glad to be rid of him, I could be forgiven for being dismissive.

Nevertheless the manager knew something and McBride has played a vital role for us on a frequent basis.

I'm happy enough to give the benefit of the doubt on signing targets - I suspect the management team have put in more time than me scouting potential players.

Dunbar Hibee
22-06-2010, 09:45 AM

Maybe I am bein a bit biased as im a West Ham fan:greengrin, but I just see them as a horrible football club.

Stevie Reid
22-06-2010, 10:05 AM
Much like the Burton O'Brien thread, there are comments on here that are unbelievable, but the implications are undoubtedly serious - there still seems to be many on here who have a real appetite to attack both Yogi and the club, despite the unbelievable progress that's been made since we were in £17M worth of debt, and the fact that we achieved our highest league placing in 4 years and got into Europe.

As I've said previously, I'm seriously concerned that if we happen to lose the first couple of games of the season, there will be an early groundswell of anti Yogi nonsense coming from the stands of our brilliant new stadium. If this is the reaction to a couple of players we HAVEN'T signed, then God forbid what should happen if we don't get best start on the park come August.

PaulSmith
22-06-2010, 10:26 AM

Did you watch the Hibs TV interview with Scott Lindsey last week about how everything the club does is geared towards getting the best possible team on the park?

churchie16
23-06-2010, 08:41 PM
Hey new to all of this but just thought ide let yous all know that my uncle kris is marc lairds brother not a lie lol .