PDA

View Full Version : NHC England Siege mentality

Spike Mandela
19-06-2010, 08:38 AM
With the English squad getting it in the neck from all directions, fans and media alike is it going to benefit them as a squad?

Once a siege mentality sets in I think they will be a dangerous team in this tournament.:bitchy:

CropleyWasGod
19-06-2010, 08:50 AM
With the English squad getting it in the neck from all directions, fans and media alike is it going to benefit them as a squad?

Once a siege mentality sets in I think they will be a dangerous team in this tournament.:bitchy:

It did in 86 and 90.

However, those were different to this. Then, there was a manager who could relate to the team. Robson had an empathy with the players that Capello doesn't seem to have. He is coming across as a stubborn sod, who won't be shifted from his view.

hibsbollah
19-06-2010, 08:56 AM
It did in 86 and 90.

However, those were different to this. Then, there was a manager who could relate to the team. Robson had an empathy with the players that Capello doesn't seem to have. He is coming across as a stubborn sod, who won't be shifted from his view.

Why is he coming across as a 'stubborn sod'? All he looks like to me is a manager who is being set up as the latest in a long line of scapegoats.

CropleyWasGod
19-06-2010, 09:00 AM
Why is he coming across as a 'stubborn sod'? All he looks like to me is a manager who is being set up as the latest in a long line of scapegoats.

When I say that, I probably mean that's the way he is being portrayed. He is difficult to read, not least because his English isn't brilliant, and therefore one has to rely on the interpretations of others.... the "set up" you mention.

However, to demonstrate one example of stubbornness... last night.... 15 minutes to go, he takes off Barry and puts on Crouch. Good move, one might say, go for it with 3 strikers. Not a bit of it.... Gerrard moves in to the centre, and Rooney moves to left midfield. 4-4-2 to the last, even when the situation cries out for a change.

hibsbollah
19-06-2010, 09:10 AM
When I say that, I probably mean that's the way he is being portrayed. He is difficult to read, not least because his English isn't brilliant, and therefore one has to rely on the interpretations of others.... the "set up" you mention.

However, to demonstrate one example of stubbornness... last night.... 15 minutes to go, he takes off Barry and puts on Crouch. Good move, one might say, go for it with 3 strikers. Not a bit of it.... Gerrard moves in to the centre, and Rooney moves to left midfield. 4-4-2 to the last, even when the situation cries out for a change.

With hindsight you can always say a substitution could have changed the game. We'll never know. If he'd gone all out for a win Algeria could just as easily have scored a winner.

Capello's CV suggests he's a brilliant coach and manager.

CropleyWasGod
19-06-2010, 09:12 AM
With hindsight you can always say a substitution could have changed the game. We'll never know. If he'd gone all out for a win Algeria could just as easily have scored a winner.

Capello's CV suggests he's a brilliant coach and manager.

Agreed, without doubt.

However, you can hear it now...... "aye, good as a club manager, never good enough to be an international one". cf McClaren, Stephen. :greengrin

hibsbollah
19-06-2010, 09:16 AM
Agreed, without doubt.

However, you can hear it now...... "aye, good as a club manager, never good enough to be an international one". cf McClaren, Stephen. :greengrin

...and Bobby Williamson:wink: