PDA

View Full Version : Best price on England to win the world cup?

Hibbyradge
19-06-2010, 02:18 AM
As bad as they were tonight, they still have a good chance of getting to the latter stages, particularly with all the bookings Germany picked up today.
I'm going to risk a few quid on England, each way, if I can find decent odds, and I guess now's when prices will be at their best.
Any idea who is offering the best odds?

Part/Time Supporter
19-06-2010, 06:58 AM
As bad as they were tonight, they still have a good chance of getting to the latter stages, particularly with all the bookings Germany picked up today.
I'm going to risk a few quid on England, each way, if I can find decent odds, and I guess now's when prices will be at their best.
Any idea who is offering the best odds?

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/internationals/world-cup/win-market

11/1 with a few bookies

I think it's strange that they are now longer than Germany to win the tournament given that before a ball was kicked they were about 7/1 whereas Germany were 14/1; they are now approximately in the same position, given that they both have to win their last match to realistically qualify for the last 16. It's also strange IMO that Brazil have drifted given that they've won their only match, and the failings of others.

BTW, in previous world cups they have wiped yellow cards after the group stage if the player isn't suspended for the last 16 match, to prevent a scenario of a player being suspended for the final after only being booked twice in six games.

TheGreenMan
19-06-2010, 07:21 AM

11/1 with a few bookies

I think it's strange that they are now longer than Germany to win the tournament given that before a ball was kicked they were about 7/1 whereas Germany were 14/1; they are now approximately in the same position, given that they both have to win their last match to realistically qualify for the last 16. It's also strange IMO that Brazil have drifted given that they've won their only match, and the failings of others.

BTW, in previous world cups they have wiped yellow cards after the group stage if the player isn't suspended for the last 16 match, to prevent a scenario of a player being suspended for the final after only being booked twice in six games.

The reason Brazil's price has increased is basically because with Spain losing their 1st game, there is a good chance Brazil will face Spain in the last 16 KO match. Therefore I'm guessing Spain's odds have also increased.

Hibbyradge
19-06-2010, 09:17 AM

11/1 with a few bookies

Thanks, James.

I think they are wiping the cards after the quarter final.

This is to ensure that someone receiving a yellow in the semi won't be suspended for the final.

Regarding Germany's lengthening odds, they were beaten by Serbia, who were earlier beaten by Ghana. Germany have Ghana to play and , soley on that form, Ghana must be favourites. Of course, this would change should they fail to beat australia this afternoon.

England are still unbeaten so their form is slightly better.

Part/Time Supporter
19-06-2010, 09:41 AM
Thanks, James.

This is to ensure that someone receiving a yellow in the semi won't be suspended for the final.

Regarding Germany's lengthening odds, they were beaten by Serbia, who were earlier beaten by Ghana. Germany have Ghana to play and , soley on that form, Ghana must be favourites. Of course, this would change should they fail to beat australia this afternoon.

That's what I was meaning. Germany's odds have been cut since the start of the tournament (despite the defeat yesterday) from about 14/1 to 10/1. I think it should be pointed out that against Serbia they were down to 10 men due to ridiculous refereeing and they still created some big chances with a man less against a decent side.

England have gone out from about 15/2 to 11/1 since the start. The only real accounting for this is that they are in a dodgier position to get out of the group than you might have thought they would be. ie they have to beat Slovenia, when you may have expected them to only need a draw or perhaps be already through. That difference doesn't account for the change in odds though, because they are still about 1/2 to beat Slovenia.

hibs0666
28-06-2010, 02:38 PM
Thanks, James.

Woops. :wink: