PDA

View Full Version : My Life in Nova Scotia - Take Two

Phil D. Rolls
18-06-2010, 10:50 AM
I've been enjoying some great football from players I admire in the CL and the EPL such as Tevez, Forlan and Messi. As "neutral" the world cup is a great chance to just sit back and love the beautiful game.

I genuinely want to see the likes of Rooney and Lampard show their stuff in the World Cup, as well. I am trying hard to set aside things like last night's hate fest against the French, or the need to mention 1986 every time Maradona is spoken about.

So, it's another chance for me to shake off my congenital hatred of the English football team and - at the very least - sit back and be neutral tonight.

Will I manage it, will I........ I hate myself.

Chuckie
18-06-2010, 05:32 PM
In years gone by I have been very hostile towards the English national team and everything that goes with it, but as a middle aged man I feel I have mellowed a lot, and I just want to see a good game of football.

I have English friends, and I like a lot of their culture. I like their cities. I've loved their women. I feel it would be churlish to want them to lose.

It's incredible the venom directed towards a Scottish man who doesn't want them to be humiliated. TRAITOR ! is the cry.

Do I want them to win? No.

Do I want them to lose? No.

I want to see good footballers play football.

Gary Lineker is still a **** though.

Betty Boop
18-06-2010, 07:56 PM
I've been enjoying some great football from players I admire in the CL and the EPL such as Tevez, Forlan and Messi. As "neutral" the world cup is a great chance to just sit back and love the beautiful game.

I genuinely want to see the likes of Rooney and Lampard show their stuff in the World Cup, as well. I am trying hard to set aside things like last night's hate fest against the French, or the need to mention 1986 every time Maradona is spoken about.

So, it's another chance for me to shake off my congenital hatred of the English football team and - at the very least - sit back and be neutral tonight.

Will I manage it, will I........ I hate myself.

Not much evidence of that in this game. Rooney has been garbage, along with the rest of the team! :greengrin

snooky
19-06-2010, 09:42 AM
[QUOTE=Filled Rolls;2495758]I've been enjoying some great football from players I admire in the CL and the EPL such as Tevez, Forlan and Messi. As "neutral" the world cup is a great chance to just sit back and love the beautiful game.

Will I manage it, will I........ I hate myself.[/

Interesting thread title, FR. :dunno: :cool2:

Phil D. Rolls
19-06-2010, 09:54 AM
[QUOTE=Filled Rolls;2495758]I've been enjoying some great football from players I admire in the CL and the EPL such as Tevez, Forlan and Messi. As "neutral" the world cup is a great chance to just sit back and love the beautiful game.

Will I manage it, will I........ I hate myself.[/

Interesting thread title, FR. :dunno: :cool2:

Interesting avatar. The new Scotland is in the same place as the old one.

By the way folks, how ordinary are England? They badly need a Linneker in that team, as they have nothing up front at all.

Watching the game was the same as any other match in this WC - I didn't want one team to win, I wanted goals, matched by equalisers and a nail biting finish. Didn't get that, I did however get a commentary that actually made me feel sorry for the guy doing it.

It was pitiful and pathetic as he kept trying to reassure everybody that all would be OK. I would like to have know what clubs some of the Algerian players were at. I could have done without the silences every time England didn't have the ball.

This morning I was treated to some Jamie Oliver type football fans on the beach at Capetown, giving their thoughts on the result. No passion or commitment - and the team weren't much better! How can God Save the Queen ever be a football song.

England really need a reality check. Too many journeyman pros in their team.