PDA

View Full Version : Match Updates World Cup Day 8

Frazerbob
18-06-2010, 10:04 AM
Radio 5 Live reporting Calamity James will start for the champions elect tonight. :saltireflag

Houchy
18-06-2010, 10:09 AM
What's everyones thoughts on Germany v Serbia today?

Never saw Serbia in the first game (or the Germans for that matter) so i'm reluctant to lump on.

Hainan Hibs
18-06-2010, 10:25 AM
To get us all in the mood

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apw-PQh2tq8

PeeJay
18-06-2010, 10:44 AM
What's everyones thoughts on Germany v Serbia today?

Never saw Serbia in the first game (or the Germans for that matter) so i'm reluctant to lump on.

Here in Germany the mood's pretty buoyant to say the least - Serbia will not be able to withstand the Germans, they're too dynamic, organised and up for it. It will take one of the 'bigger" teams to do it, but you can never really be sure ...

steakbake
18-06-2010, 10:53 AM
I don't know about Serbia. If we'd drawn them in a qualifying group, I'd have concerns in the same way that I would if we'd drawn someone like Ukraine or one of the above average (but not top tier) European sides.

I think Germany as always, can never be written off and if they hit their stride, I don't think they'll find Serbia too difficult. That said, I wouldn't have thought Mexico would beat France or the Uruguay team who bored their way to a draw against the French would hit the Safricans for three, so you never know.

Houchy
18-06-2010, 10:54 AM
Thanks PeeJay, I appreciate it mate.:agree:

Houchy
18-06-2010, 10:58 AM
I don't know about Serbia. If we'd drawn them in a qualifying group, I'd have concerns in the same way that I would if we'd drawn someone like Ukraine or one of the above average (but not top tier) European sides.

I think Germany as always, can never be written off and if they hit their stride, I don't think they'll find Serbia too difficult. That said, I wouldn't have thought Mexico would beat France or the Uruguay team who bored their way to a draw against the French would hit the Safricans for three, so you never know.

That's my thoughts on Serbia:agree:. Good side capable of producing a result against decent teams but maybe not a team to beat the top teams. Bit worried that they might be capable of a draw though.

Ah well, the bet's on now so we'll just need to wait and see.

SteveHFC
18-06-2010, 11:24 AM
Come On Germany :thumbsup:

GlesgaeHibby
18-06-2010, 12:27 PM
Absolute tosspot of a ref doing his best to ruin this game:grr:

Spike Mandela
18-06-2010, 02:00 PM
Oh dear, Germany lose and the English commentators and pundits are absolutely wetting their pants with excitement!

Cue claims of 'England can win World cup they've nobody to fear'. Unbearable.

givescotlandfreedom
18-06-2010, 02:03 PM
Germany were shafted by a bad referee, if he wanted to be strict about it he should have booked half of the Serbians for running off the pitch when they scored.

seanraff07
18-06-2010, 02:03 PM
Whats everyone wanting in the Slovenia vs USA game?

Lofarl
18-06-2010, 02:09 PM

America to win. If Slovenia win they have qualified and will put out a weakened team against England.

PeeJay
18-06-2010, 02:14 PM
Germany were shafted by a bad referee, if he wanted to be strict about it he should have booked half of the Serbians for running off the pitch when they scored.

No point in blaming the referee, I blame Klose for stupidity - he already had a yellow card, and he knew what was at risk so why go ahead and tackle from behind as he did? He didn't help his team mates.
The Serbs looked out on their feet for a large part of the second half, although they had 11 men.

1-0 Slovenia!

Hibs90
18-06-2010, 02:15 PM
Slovenia 1-0 up, great goal though.

heretoday
18-06-2010, 02:26 PM
Great result for the Burbs. A lot of the pundits will be peeved that Germany got beaten. For one thing they'll have to rewrite their intros!

Hacks like stereotypes being confirmed i.e. Brazil are joyous samba artists, Italy nasty trick merchants, Germany cold-eyed and professional - all nonsense of course though there may have been a scintilla of truth in these myths at one time.

Spike Mandela
18-06-2010, 02:30 PM
Great result for the Burbs. A lot of the pundits will be peeved that Germany got beaten. For one thing they'll have to rewrite their intros!

Hacks like stereotypes being confirmed i.e. Brazil are joyous samba artists, Italy nasty trick merchants, Germany cold-eyed and professional - all nonsense of course though there may have been a scintilla of truth in these myths at one time.

Congratulations:thumbsup: You have the Hibs.net word of the day:top marks

Hmmm, good name for a band

Agree with your sentiments by the way.:agree:

H18sry
18-06-2010, 02:35 PM

A draw as then Slovenia will have to better England's results to guarantee qualification

Hibs90
18-06-2010, 02:44 PM
Slovenia 2-0 up :faf:

PeeJay
18-06-2010, 03:05 PM
2-1 through Donovan - game back on?

Gatecrasher
18-06-2010, 03:09 PM
Did anyone else just the easter road TA flag at the US free kick?

Hibbie_Cameron
18-06-2010, 03:37 PM
Germany were shafted by the ref. I dont think there was a bad challenge in the game yet so many bookings.

Am i the only person who thinks Vidic should have been sent off for the hand ball at the penalty?
It was a deliberate hand ball (cheating) and was much worse than half the tackles that got yellow

seanraff07
18-06-2010, 03:40 PM
2-2

PeeJay
18-06-2010, 03:43 PM
Germany were shafted by the ref. I dont think there was a bad challenge in the game yet so many bookings.

Am i the only person who thinks Vidic should have been sent off for the hand ball at the penalty?
It was a deliberate hand ball (cheating) and was much worse than half the tackles that got yellow

"Shafted" - the Serbs had 4 yellow cards - wasn't exactly one sided was it?
Not sure if he should have been sent off - it was handball, not sure if it was deliberate though; wasn't a clear goal-scoring chance for Germany either really - maybe yellow was fair enough- Podolski should have scored from the spot.

US score third, but disallowed??

Hibbie_Cameron
18-06-2010, 03:50 PM
"Shafted" - the Serbs had 4 yellow cards - wasn't exactly one sided was it?
Not sure if he should have been sent off - it was handball, not sure if it was deliberate though; wasn't a clear goal-scoring chance for Germany either really - maybe yellow was fair enough- Podolski should have scored from the spot.

US score third, but disallowed??

Shafted was the wrong word. Just too many soft bookings. Klose first booking was unreal

Hibercelona
18-06-2010, 03:53 PM
Nothing wrong with the USA goal. :grr:

Hibercelona
18-06-2010, 03:54 PM
"England are so much the best team in the group". :grr:

What a bunch of fannies. :agree:

PeeJay
18-06-2010, 03:55 PM
Shafted was the wrong word. Just too many soft bookings. Klose first booking was unreal

You're right there with the soft bookings, we seem to be having an awful lot of yellow/red cards, and once the ref starts handing them out he has to remain consistent - not sure they're really helping the game.

The games have been good the past couple of days though - all we need now is an England victory this evening :sofa:! :greengrin

DC_Hibs
18-06-2010, 03:56 PM
Schweinsteiger scored two penalties in their last warm up game against Bosnia so should have taken it. Podolski had already missed two reasonable chances thus continuing his club form from 2009/10 season.

Beat Ghana and they should still top the group but there's a bit of pressure on them now.

vahibbie
18-06-2010, 03:56 PM

Nothing at all:grr:
Hopefully another wee goalkeeper balls-up in the next game:wink:

Hibbie_Cameron
18-06-2010, 04:04 PM

They are though. "On paper" they should have walked the group easily imo and probably still will

Hibercelona
18-06-2010, 04:08 PM
They are though. "On paper" they should have walked the group easily imo and probably still will

I think they should just be keeping their mouth shut until England actually get a win.

They are talking about all the other groups and how the results are great for England as if they have already got through the group.

They are currently sitting 3rd and will be sitting 4th tonight if they lose.

Phil D. Rolls
18-06-2010, 04:11 PM
I love the World Cup. That was a cracking game between USA and Slovenia.

I reckon England should skate through the group though.

marinello59
18-06-2010, 04:12 PM

They are though.

seanraff07
18-06-2010, 06:20 PM
I think they should just be keeping their mouth shut until England actually get a win.

They are talking about all the other groups and how the results are great for England as if they have already got through the group.

They are currently sitting 3rd and will be sitting 4th tonight if they lose.

Let them do that, it's typical England for you.

Everythings always placed perfectly for them to just stroll on to win it the way they see it.

But it's brilliant every WC when they look like dafties when England exit the tournament no later than the QF's.:agree:

YehButNoBut
18-06-2010, 06:50 PM
Poor start from England, c'mon Algeria. :thumbsup:

lapsedhibee
18-06-2010, 06:51 PM
Gerrard - always diving, always cheating. 'mon the Hun's team.

stokesmessiah
18-06-2010, 06:55 PM
Gerrard - always diving, always cheating. 'mon the Hun's team.

That was a dive and a half, bogey pulled out big time, cheating bar steward.

Em is this the Algeria that England were going to walk it against???????????????

Laughing at their easy group may seem a tad silly?

Www1875hfc
18-06-2010, 07:00 PM
Any one else spot the Hearts flag behind the algerian keeper?

hibsbollah
18-06-2010, 07:17 PM
Best England player first half?

Boulabaz (sp?). Right midfield, has given the ball straight to an England player about 6 times now:grr:

How pash are Engerland though:greengrin

SteveHFC
18-06-2010, 07:38 PM
Heskey :faf:

NOLA
18-06-2010, 07:40 PM
Heskeys a bonnie looking laddie:fibber:

At The Edge
18-06-2010, 07:45 PM
Had to turn off, couldn't take ITVs Pundit Townsend anymore, can barely bring himself to mention that Algeria are playing pretty decent and his team are mince
Take off the St George glasses please

seanraff07
18-06-2010, 07:46 PM
Had to turn off, couldn't take ITVs Pundit Townsend anymore, can barely bring himself to mention that Algeria are playing pretty decent and his team are mince

I think it's better when they praise England when their actually playing *****e.

YehButNoBut
18-06-2010, 07:52 PM
Rooney having a shocker. :greengrin

lapsedhibee
18-06-2010, 07:54 PM

Townsend's awfy but the main commentator's not nearly as bad as I expected - who he? :dunno:

down-the-slope
18-06-2010, 08:10 PM
missed most of the game..the commentators are sounding like they should be kept away from sharp objects....have England really ben that bad?

SteveHFC
18-06-2010, 08:19 PM
Algeria 0-0 England :faf::faf::faf::faf:

lapsedhibee
18-06-2010, 08:19 PM
Algeria were more technically skilled all the way through. 'mon the Slovens! :thumbsup:

Hibercelona
18-06-2010, 08:21 PM
They are though.

Are they though? :rolleyes:

down-the-slope
18-06-2010, 08:21 PM
that interview with Rooney where he said he was hoping for golden boot award :doh:

CropleyWasGod
18-06-2010, 08:23 PM

....but but but he's Irish, .... inny guv? :greengrin

Ryan91
18-06-2010, 08:25 PM
YES! Great job there by Algeria, hope they get beat by Slovenia on Wednesday.

Lofarl
18-06-2010, 08:27 PM
lol nice quote there wayne. Im sure the press wont slate you for that. :wink:

NOLA
18-06-2010, 08:29 PM
Rooney having a go at the fans booing! hahaha! love it!

Greentinted
18-06-2010, 08:29 PM
lol nice quote there wayne. Im sure the press wont slate you for that. :wink:

What was said? I couldn't make it out.

CropleyWasGod
18-06-2010, 08:30 PM

Sounded like "that's real fans for you".

:rolleyes:

Lofarl
18-06-2010, 08:30 PM
"Its nice to see your own fans booing you" Must have been spending time with Nishy

lapsedhibee
18-06-2010, 08:31 PM

He seemed to imply that fans shouldn't be booing their own team. That's his chance of coming to ER gone now.

Greentinted
18-06-2010, 08:32 PM
Sounded like "that's real fans for you".

:rolleyes:

Cheers, maybe if he and his mates had removed their heads from their ***** then the fans would act accordingly. Ho hum, so sad too bad! :greengrin

marinello59
18-06-2010, 08:32 PM
Are they though? :rolleyes:

Definitely better players. Algeria were pretty poor which shows how out of sorts England are. Arrogance hasn't been their downfall this time, quite the opposite. A team who played with no belief at all, they actually looked beaten before the match kicked off. Rooney was unrecgnisable as the player we know he can be. Only Gerrard seemd to care, I wonder if something has happened behind the scenes to cause such a lack of morale.

SalfordHibs
18-06-2010, 08:35 PM
Definitely better players. Algeria were pretty poor which shows how out of sorts England are. Arrogance hasn't been their downfall this time, quite the opposite. A team who played with no belief at all, they actually looked beaten before the match kicked off. Rooney was unrecgnisable as the player we know he can be. Only Gerrard seemd to care, I wonder if something has happened behind the scenes to cause such a lack of morale.

France in disguise they are terrible, first game against the USA they were average and put the blame on the ball :rolleyes:

Tonight they were shocking :greengrin

CropleyWasGod
18-06-2010, 08:36 PM

Agreed.

Commentator summed it up when he listed the clubs Bougherra, who I thought was excellent, has played for. Wednesday, Charlton, Edina Hibs..... must have really traumatised Rooney.

greenlex
18-06-2010, 08:36 PM

I reckon dropping Green for 1 mistake is the reason they are playing like they are afraid. Poor management from The Fab IMO. Bunch of fannies.

Hibercelona
18-06-2010, 08:42 PM

I don't think arrogance has ever been a problem with the actual England team. It's the arrogance of the English media which makes their country look stupid in situations like these.

Comments like: "We'll walk this group" "The other teams are inferior" "We'll win this game with ease" etc... just makes them look like a right bunch of prats.

They never consider the possibility of actually losing a game.

Yeah, they have players that are arguably the best indivdually in the world, but it's their failure to learn that it takes far more than individual talent to win games. That team has no team work, no heart, no determination & no urgency what so ever. Why can't they just come out and say that instead of bulls**ting themselves and everybody watching?

Pete
18-06-2010, 09:01 PM
I don't think arrogance has ever been a problem with the actual England team. It's the arrogance of the English media which makes their country look stupid in situations like these.

Comments like: "We'll walk this group" "The other teams are inferior" "We'll win this game with ease" etc... just makes them look like a right bunch of prats.

They never consider the possibility of actually losing a game.

Yeah, they have players that are arguably the best indivdually in the world, but it's their failure to learn that it takes far more than individual talent to win games. That team has no team work, no heart, no determination & no urgency what so ever. Why can't they just come out and say that instead of bulls**ting themselves and everybody watching?

I'm not sure these players are some of the best in the world. Maybe it's the foreign players around them at club level that make them seem like world beaters.

Maybe I'm being a little unkind but that team England put out tonight looked anything like word cup contenders. Nobody from the midfield forward looked like they could trap a bag of cement.

Lampard, Gerrard and Rooney looked clenched, tense and it's as if they were bricking it about making mistakes. This resulted in absolutely zero movement in midfield and no link up play at all. Even a team as mince as Algeria made them look bad because of one thing...they were comfortable on the ball!!

Crouch and Defoe play with freedom when they come on and should start the next game...as should Joe Cole. I'd bin Rooney (headless chicken), Heskey and Lennon.

They all need to relax and just play.

SidBurns
18-06-2010, 09:17 PM
I'm not sure these players are some of the best in the world. Maybe it's the foreign players around them at club level that make them seem like world beaters.

Maybe I'm being a little unkind but that team England put out tonight looked anything like word cup contenders. Nobody from the midfield forward looked like they could trap a bag of cement.

Lampard, Gerrard and Rooney looked clenched, tense and it's as if they were bricking it about making mistakes. This resulted in absolutely zero movement in midfield and no link up play at all. Even a team as mince as Algeria made them look bad because of one thing...they were comfortable on the ball!!

Crouch and Defoe play with freedom when they come on and should start the next game...as should Joe Cole. I'd bin Rooney (headless chicken), Heskey and Lennon.

They all need to relax and just play.

Who really gives a Tom Kite!?! 'MON THE SLOVENIA!!!

HibsMax
18-06-2010, 09:22 PM

Watched the goal many times as you can imagine. It was shown many times and there was no foul. If anything the Serbs we mugging the US players, not the other way around. Hope that lost goal doesn't come back to bite us. Findley's yellow car was balls too. He's out of the next match because of that unless there is an appeals process. Dempsey was lucky to not get booked with his errant elbow so it wasn't totally one-sided. Commentators and backroom pundits are all totally baffled about the goal being chopped off.

Football, huh? :)

Pete
18-06-2010, 09:33 PM
Who really gives a Tom Kite!?! 'MON THE SLOVENIA!!!

I'm looking at the world cup from a footballing perspective.

If you want to be bitter about it you go ahead if it makes you feel any better.

1875godsgift
19-06-2010, 01:26 AM
I don't agree that Algeria were poor, I thought they did really well at winning the ball and intercepting, passing, and all that let them down was any threat towards the england goal.
If Nishy was Algerian I reckon england would be on the next flight home.
:greengrin

Frazerbob
19-06-2010, 01:46 AM
....but but but he's Irish, .... inny guv? :greengrin

I was cringing when Clive Tyldsley was banging on about how the Algerians have 9 players who were born in France in their squad whilst sitting next to Townsend who qualified to play for Ireland by once necking a pint of Guinness in O'Neils, Covent Garden.

Complete twat!

Sylar
19-06-2010, 06:46 AM
Watched the goal many times as you can imagine. It was shown many times and there was no foul. If anything the Serbs we mugging the US players, not the other way around. Hope that lost goal doesn't come back to bite us. Findley's yellow car was balls too. He's out of the next match because of that unless there is an appeals process. Dempsey was lucky to not get booked with his errant elbow so it wasn't totally one-sided. Commentators and backroom pundits are all totally baffled about the goal being chopped off.

Football, huh? :)

Thought the ref was easily the worst I've seen in the competition thus far, as were his 2 assistants. A lot of decisions were given which I didn't understand, and that goes for both teams - I thought we got a lot of free kicks which weren't fouls and I also thought he listened to the players far too much - Birse was bundled over by Onyewu in the first half (fairly so) and the ref gave nothing - he moaned to the ref and the free kick was awarded - even the commentators were bemused!

Findley's card was a shocking decision - the ball was nowhere near his bloody hand and as it was a yellow, no, there's no appeals process. I'm not overly enthused by Findley anyway, so I'm not TOO upset he won't be playing - Edson Buddle is a much better goalscorer, so hopefully he gets the nod for the Algeria game.

And the goal - absolutely farcical decision not to allow it - it was either a goal or it was a penalty - there's utterly no middle ground - definitely not offside, definitely no foul being committed by a USA player. I sincerely hope FIFA will look at their overall performance and make a decision to NOT use these clowns in the knockout stages - not fit for purpose.

Here's hoping England get them on Wednesday :greengrin