PDA

View Full Version : Match Updates World Cup - Day 6 - (Honduras vs Chile, Spain vs Switzerland, South Africa vs Uruguay

SteveHFC
16-06-2010, 12:10 PM
1-0 Chile

MWHIBBIES
16-06-2010, 12:13 PM
Good game so far,chile much better team and look like they could do something at this world cup.

SlickShoes
16-06-2010, 12:26 PM
Thank goodness its a decent game! Chile look excellent, the off the ball movement is fantastic and they are constantly a threat!

Wotherspiniesta
16-06-2010, 12:50 PM
Chile look like a tidy wee team. Granted they're not up against much, but they definately look comfortable on the ball.

RoslinInstHibby
16-06-2010, 02:15 PM
Spain's ball possession is awesome:agree:

Sylar
16-06-2010, 02:30 PM
Switzerland are no mugs and are standing up to the Spanish admirably.

All possession, no cutting edge thus far though.

Sylar
16-06-2010, 02:45 PM
The Spanish squad is terrifying. It tells you everything that players such as Fabergas and Torres are sitting on the bench!

That's us through the first full round of fixture and I continue to despair as to how bad the World Cup has been.

Very few goals and none (apart from Dempsey, but hardly a "wonder-strike") from outside the box (either in open play or a set piece).

Here's hoping the "cagey" first game performances are done and out the way and the proper football can start tonight!

steviecarnie
16-06-2010, 02:51 PM
Are Switzerland Rangers in disguise? ANTI FOOTBALL.....boring as!

Saying that spain passing and movement is phenomenal, i hope yogi has this on sky+ and will be showing the boys it. Switzerland are pretty much blowing out there arse with all the running about, and with ER's pitch looking great, thats how we should be playing. Liam Miller pulling the strings, galbraith to inject the pace down the flanks,

Sylar
16-06-2010, 02:53 PM

Saying that spain passing and movement is phenomenal, i hope yogi has this on sky+ and will be showing the boys it. Switzerland are pretty much blowing out there arse with all the running about, and with ER's pitch looking great, thats how we should be playing. Liam Miller pulling the strings, galbraith to inject the pace down the flanks,

How else do a team like Switzerland cope with Spain? I'll wager you right now that Scotland take the same approach in the forthcoming Euro qualifiers.

I agree though - it's absolutely brutal to watch.

SteveHFC
16-06-2010, 03:08 PM
1-0 Switzerland :thumbsup:

Sylar
16-06-2010, 03:08 PM
Spain 0-1 Switzerland.

Lofarl
16-06-2010, 03:09 PM
Go on the Swiss. 1 nil

Pretty Boy
16-06-2010, 03:12 PM
What the **** was Casillas doing going for the ball with his feet not once but twice? Looked like he seen a bit of physical presence and though better of getting involved.

I said it before the tournament and i'll say it gain now; Victor Valdes should have started in goals for Spain, out of the 3 keepers in the squad he has had by far and away the best season and considering he has played in 2 Champions League finals i don't think pressure would have been a problem despite his lack of international experience.

vahibbie
16-06-2010, 03:14 PM

Aye but Spain are losing:grr:
Hopefully a situation that will be sorted before the 90 mins are up.
The so called "quality" sides are having some trouble breaking down defenses.

Sylar
16-06-2010, 03:27 PM
What a thunderbolt from Xabi Alonso!

First good strike from distance I've seen thus far!

vahibbie
16-06-2010, 03:32 PM
Nearly 2-0 to the Swiss.

Game's deffo warmed up

MWHIBBIES
16-06-2010, 03:36 PM
What the **** was Casillas doing going for the ball with his feet not once but twice? Looked like he seen a bit of physical presence and though better of getting involved.

I said it before the tournament and i'll say it gain now; Victor Valdes should have started in goals for Spain, out of the 3 keepers in the squad he has had by far and away the best season and considering he has played in 2 Champions League finals i don't think pressure would have been a problem despite his lack of international experience.Spain are not going to drop there captain and worlds best gk because valdes has played in more champs league finals.

Spains real problem is sergio ramos,he is a overated right back who cannot defend and costantly costs club and country silly goals.
Also they can't break down teams who park the bus and are very organised like usa were and the swiss are right now. They dont have a plan b like a target man(like drogba or ibra) to play it long to or cross it in to when they passing isnt working.

Sylar
16-06-2010, 03:45 PM
Fernando Torres - best in the world?

:faf::faf::faf:

His touch and shooting ability from this game makes Nade look like Pele!

Greentinted
16-06-2010, 03:51 PM
For me, the Spain - Switzerkand game has been the best match so far. The Swiss have given a masterclass in defending and playing to a teams limitations. I know that in an ideal world attacking play is lauded but I've enjoyed the defensive, couter-attacking attitude and execution of this Swiss team.

One of my Mum's overused and frankly tedious cliches refers to the 'bigger they are...'
Looks like she called it right this afternoon!:greengrin

Sylar
16-06-2010, 03:52 PM
Well, for all their superstars and promise, Spain lose their opening game to the mighty Switzerland.

Wow!

SteveHFC
16-06-2010, 03:52 PM
1-0 Switzerland :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

steviecarnie
16-06-2010, 03:54 PM
Every corner kick in this WC has been crap......hardly any have beaten the first man. could it be this ball?

Pretty Boy
16-06-2010, 03:56 PM
Spain are not going to drop there captain and worlds best gk because valdes has played in more champs league finals.

Spains real problem is sergio ramos,he is a overated right back who cannot defend and costantly costs club and country silly goals.
Also they can't break down teams who park the bus and are very organised like usa were and the swiss are right now. They dont have a plan b like a target man(like drogba or ibra) to play it long to or cross it in to when they passing isnt working.

My point wasn't that Valdes should play because he has played in More CL finals, more that despite his lack of experience at international level he wouldn't be fazed due to his experience in other big games. Casillas is not the best GK in the world anymore and hasn't been for the last 2 years. His form has been very incosistent and he has cost Real Madrid a lot of goals. There has been a huge backlash against him in Spain(and particularly Madrid) recently with many pundits and fans calling for him to be dropped in favour of Pepe Reina.

There has been a bit of a changing of the guard recently regarding top goalkeepers; Casillas has been out of sorts, as has Cech, Buffon has been injured a lot, Kahn has retired, people finally woke up to the fact that Dida was rubbish. IMO Julio Cesar is by far and away the best goalkeeper based on current forn, he oozes confidence. The likes of Igor Akinfeev, De Gea at Atletico Madrid and Neuer at Schalke are all very talented young goalkeepers who will demand big money in the future.

For the record i agree with everything you say about Ramos.

CapitalHibs
16-06-2010, 04:10 PM
For me, the Spain - Switzerkand game has been the best match so far. The Swiss have given a masterclass in defending and playing to a teams limitations. I know that in an ideal world attacking play is lauded but I've enjoyed the defensive, couter-attacking attitude and execution of this Swiss team.

One of my Mum's overused and frankly tedious cliches refers to the 'bigger they are...'
Looks like she called it right this afternoon!:greengrin

Not surprised really - Even tho they won the Euros, Spain have a long history of choking in important games. In fact, I said as much to ma laddie yesterday.:thumbsup:

MWHIBBIES
16-06-2010, 04:15 PM
My point wasn't that Valdes should play because he has played in More CL finals, more that despite his lack of experience at international level he wouldn't be fazed due to his experience in other big games. Casillas is not the best GK in the world anymore and hasn't been for the last 2 years. His form has been very incosistent and he has cost Real Madrid a lot of goals. There has been a huge backlash against him in Spain(and particularly Madrid) recently with many pundits and fans calling for him to be dropped in favour of Pepe Reina.

There has been a bit of a changing of the guard recently regarding top goalkeepers; Casillas has been out of sorts, as has Cech, Buffon has been injured a lot, Kahn has retired, people finally woke up to the fact that Dida was rubbish. IMO Julio Cesar is by far and away the best goalkeeper based on current forn, he oozes confidence. The likes of Igor Akinfeev, De Gea at Atletico Madrid and Neuer at Schalke are all very talented young goalkeepers who will demand big money in the future.

For the record i agree with everything you say about Ramos.Cesar is a great gk and is prob better than casilas but i dont think reina and vv are better than him.
I agree he has make some errors but more than makes up for then with amazing saves and his leadership ability IMO.

Agree with you about the great young keeper's who will all be amazing goalies in the years to come,if only wenger could see it i would be happy.

Musselbound
16-06-2010, 04:19 PM

I said it before the tournament and i'll say it gain now; Victor Valdes should have started in goals for Spain, out of the 3 keepers in the squad he has had by far and away the best season and considering he has played in 2 Champions League finals i don't think pressure would have been a problem despite his lack of international experience.

Casillas - not Hibs class.

Spain are not going to drop there captain and worlds best gk because valdes has played in more champs league finals.

They do - Llorente from Athletic Bilbao. In restrospect he should maybe have come on instead of Torres who did not look match fit at all.

For the record i agree with everything you say about Ramos.

First I've heard of the backlash and I live there. I must be reading the wrong papers and watching the wrong TV channels. I do agree about Sergio Ramos being a bit of overrated and he was very poor in the second half today (not the only one mind you). Never seen Villa play so badly for Spain either. There were a few below par and that's what happens. Spain were a bit unlucky to lose this game but I think over-confidence may also be a factor because it's not only the English media who thinks their team only needs to turn up to lift the cup.

hibsbollah
16-06-2010, 07:10 PM
Fernando Torres - best in the world?

:faf::faf::faf:

His touch and shooting ability from this game makes Nade look like Pele!

He's not fully fit.

Today was when the World Cup woke up for me. Excellent display by Chile this afternoon, by all accounts an excellent game with Switzerland shocking Spain, and now Uruguay looking like Italy with world class strikers against a decent South Africa.

MWHIBBIES
16-06-2010, 07:12 PM
Casillas - not Hibs class.

They do - Llorente from Athletic Bilbao. In restrospect he should maybe have come on instead of Torres who did not look match fit at all.

First I've heard of the backlash and I live there. I must be reading the wrong papers and watching the wrong TV channels. I do agree about Sergio Ramos being a bit of overrated and he was very poor in the second half today (not the only one mind you). Never seen Villa play so badly for Spain either. There were a few below par and that's what happens. Spain were a bit unlucky to lose this game but I think over-confidence may also be a factor because it's not only the English media who thinks their team only needs to turn up to lift the cup.Yeh i know about llorente and agree should have been on today as torres is not fit and sharp.

Sylar
16-06-2010, 08:09 PM
South Africa 0-2 Uruguay

Kuhne sent off for "bringing down" Suarez as the last man. Definite penalty, as there was contact, but dear God the c*** went down like a bullet had lodged itself in his back!

Forlan with both goals.

Pheona
16-06-2010, 08:11 PM
FFS!!! :grr:

Hibernian Verse
16-06-2010, 08:14 PM
South Africa are awful.

Pheona
16-06-2010, 08:15 PM
South Africa are awful.

Thank you for that insight.

:boo hoo:

But I have to agree

down-the-slope
16-06-2010, 08:18 PM
that might shut the annoying trumpets up a bit.......:greengrin

Hibernian Verse
16-06-2010, 08:19 PM
Thank you for that insight.

:boo hoo:

But I have to agree

They really are though. Look at what South Korea did when they hosted, then look at South Africa. Playing as if they're already through.

HibbyAndy
16-06-2010, 08:21 PM
South Africa have no cutting edge up front , Plenty of the ball but can do the sqaure root of fekall when they have it.

HUTCHYHIBBY
16-06-2010, 08:24 PM
Suarez was clearly offside after the initial shot deflected off one of his team mates. Not that i'm bothered, but, the commentators sat through the replay then said it was deffo a pen!

down-the-slope
stands are being vacated in droves........all the free-loaders ofski

Gatecrasher
3-0 :thumbsup:

down-the-slope
16-06-2010, 08:27 PM
i can safely predict a South American winner of WC....Uruguay / Chile / Argentina / Brasil all looking either very good or at least above the best...can only see Germany having a chance outside that....

Pheona
16-06-2010, 08:28 PM
woeful :boo hoo:

hibsbollah
16-06-2010, 08:30 PM
i can safely predict a South American winner of WC....Uruguay / Chile / Argentina / Brasil all looking either very good or at least above the best...can only see Germany having a chance outside that....

I was just thinking the same thing...all the South Americans have looked good so far. Argentina vs an impressive South Korea should be a good game tomorrow.

Greentinted
16-06-2010, 08:36 PM
Sorry to see the Bafana collapse a bit but Forlan was immaculate. Thoroughly enjoyable game. More of the same please!

ekhibee
16-06-2010, 08:52 PM
They really are though. Look at what South Korea did when they hosted, then look at South Africa. Playing as if they're already through.
Definitely agree about South Africa being pish, but South Korea got more than the usual amount of help from the officials, particularly against Spain and also Italy. Being a bit cynical here, but crap officials seem to have got South Korean players big money moves to European teams.

Pheona
16-06-2010, 08:56 PM
Sorry to see the Bafana collapse a bit but Forlan was immaculate. Thoroughly enjoyable game. More of the same please!

Not sure I agree with that bit, but can't fault the rest.