PDA

View Full Version : Where are all the Goals?

Banter
16-06-2010, 12:51 AM
Have to say that I have been more than a little disappointed with the World Cup so far, some of the matches have been truly woeful and I'm not seeing enough goals.:grr:

So far 14 matches have been played retuning a strike rate of 1.64 gpg. Compare this to the same point in Germany 06 - 2.21 (Tournament Av. 2.3) and Japan/Korea 02 - 2.85 (Tournament Av. 2.5)

Why are so many teams setting themselves up so defensively?:boo hoo:

Can only hope this improves but looking at the minimal differences in the final figures for the previous tournaments it doesn’t look good.

matty_f
16-06-2010, 01:34 AM
Have to say that I have been more than a little disappointed with the World Cup so far, some of the matches have been truly woeful and I'm not seeing enough goals.:grr:

So far 14 matches have been played retuning a strike rate of 1.64 gpg. Compare this to the same point in Germany 06 - 2.21 (Tournament Av. 2.3) and Japan/Korea 02 - 2.85 (Tournament Av. 2.5)

Why are so many teams setting themselves up so defensively?:boo hoo:

Can only hope this improves but looking at the minimal differences in the final figures for the previous tournaments it doesn’t look good.

It's fair to saw the World Cup has been absolutely dire so far. I can only hope that the teams up their games a lot in the final 2 group matches. There have been some horrendous matches so far. Total snoozefest.

Haymaker
16-06-2010, 03:23 AM
It will come good, when the "big" teams find their backs to the wall and need wins to qualify the defensiveness will go out the window.

Banter
16-06-2010, 03:33 PM
Haymaker sadly hearts are not playing in South Africa. That would be some goal fest though.

GreenCastle
16-06-2010, 03:36 PM
1st games - no one wants to lose.

Teams have all prepared hugely for 1st game with shape, organization etc.

As the 2nd games start teams will open up more, injuries, fatigue and the consequence of going out will hopefully make things more exciting.

Loved the way Chile played today - very direct and attacking :thumbsup:

Banter
16-06-2010, 05:03 PM
Ah but looking at the stats from the previous world cups the first 14 games have been a fair indicator of the tournament as a whole.

Looking as far back as France 98 the first 14 matches yielded 2.28 (Tournament ave. 2.7)

Only hope it does improve - being a Hibbee am more used to 6-6 thrillers.

green.and.white
16-06-2010, 05:07 PM
1st games - no one wants to lose.

Teams have all prepared hugely for 1st game with shape, organization etc.

As the 2nd games start teams will open up more, injuries, fatigue and the consequence of going out will hopefully make things more exciting.

Exactly, everyone is cagey and nervous at the beginning but the games will be more open now i think (and hope) as the stakes get higher and teams start going for qualification.

Haymaker
17-06-2010, 02:19 AM
Haymaker sadly hearts are not playing in South Africa. That would be some goal fest though.

Whoops, I forgot Hearts arent playng, just their new signings! Silly me.

Haymaker
17-06-2010, 02:21 AM

Chile seem to have decided that they dont have any top defenders but do have lots of decent attackers so "lets have it" attitude is the best way forward. They were the first team that seemed to want to pop shot from any angle in final 3rd. Awesome.