PDA

View Full Version : BBC WC Coverage

stokesmessiah
15-06-2010, 09:22 PM
I am not sure if i was just dreaming but i just flicked over to the BBC highlights programme and they done a piece on N Korea's game against Brazil. This is all quite obvious i hear you say, however, they then decided it would be a good idea to show a "propaganda" video of N Koreas result and turn it into a farce.

Do these idiots not realise just how narrow minded and lame they seem? That was an amazing result for a team that i thought played their hearts out and i for one doff my cap to them. Well Done N Korea, despite your political persuaion i thought you done yourselves and your nation proud !

James.
15-06-2010, 09:28 PM
I am not sure if i was just dreaming but i just flicked over to the BBC highlights programme and they done a piece on N Korea's game against Brazil. This is all quite obvious i hear you say, however, they then decided it would be a good idea to show a "propaganda" video of N Koreas result and turn it into a farce.

Do these idiots not realise just how narrow minded and lame they seem? That was an amazing result for a team that i thought played their hearts out and i for one doff my cap to them. Well Done N Korea, despite your political persuaion i thought you done yourselves and your nation proud !

I thought the pundits were very complimentary of the DPRs performance and the video they showed was just a bit of fun to be honest, I wouldn't take it so seriously.

BBC's WC coverage has been miles better thans ITVS. :agree:

stokesmessiah
15-06-2010, 09:31 PM
I thought the pundits were very complimentary of the DPRs performance and the video they showed was just a bit of fun to be honest, I wouldn't take it so seriously.

As in we dont know much about them due to their current political situation so lets just take the whizz???

steviecarnie
15-06-2010, 09:48 PM
As in we dont know much about them due to their current political situation so lets just take the whizz???

well what else are they to do? take the vuvuzela from your arse and lighten up ffs

southfieldshibby
15-06-2010, 09:55 PM
well what else are they to do? take the vuvuzela from your arse and lighten up ffs

Now that's funny:greengrin

JohnScott
15-06-2010, 10:06 PM

Yeh quite right mate. We're British so let's take the pish! It's what we're on this planet for ain't it. We're **** crap at everything but lets lighten up and rip the piss out of Johnie foreigner!

North Korea are in the World Cup, were not, hilarious! :bye:

stokesmessiah
15-06-2010, 10:16 PM

Get to erchie nonce, i think u deeply misunderstood that whole thread !!!

Apparently this week's thread on "patronising" has escaped u.

How abount next we do do 1....ha ha ha ha, 2....ha ha ha, 3 etc etc ec.....

steviecarnie
15-06-2010, 10:16 PM
Yeh quite right mate. We're British so let's take the pish! It's what we're on this planet for ain't it. We're **** crap at everything but lets lighten up and rip the piss out of Johnie foreigner!

They were taking this piss out of a facist state so secretive that it wouldnt even pay for its players to have proper training facilities, and as far as anyone knows wouldnt show the game on telly unless they won. This country thinks its ok to bully its neighbours with the threat of nuclear bombs, sinking ships etc....... SO again lighten the ***** up it was to be taken as a joke,:rolleyes: :grr:

stokesmessiah
15-06-2010, 10:25 PM
They were taking this piss out of a facist state so secretive that it wouldnt even pay for its players to have proper training facilities, and as far as anyone knows wouldnt show the game on telly unless they won. This country thinks its ok to bully its neighbours with the threat of nuclear bombs, sinking ships etc....... SO again lighten the ***** up it was to be taken as a joke,:rolleyes: :grr:

If there was a smiley for woosh, over the heed, i would display it now.

degenerated
15-06-2010, 10:32 PM

Get to erchie nonce, i think u deeply misunderstood that whole thread !!!

Apparently this week's thread on "patronising" has escaped u.

How abount next we do do 1....ha ha ha ha, 2....ha ha ha, 3 etc etc ec.....

c'mon chaps keep it civil and bypassing the swear filter is frowned upon this is a family board :grr: it's in the rules, somewhere i think, let me know where when you've checked them out again :greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
16-06-2010, 08:23 AM
I think things like this are funny when they are aimed at people who are acting like fascists when in reality they are in a democracy. This video was blagged from Private Eye who used to lampoon Gordon Brown as "the Dear Leader", and compare his behaviour to Stalin.

I think the Beeb overstepped the mark taking the mickey out of North Korea though. There is nothing particularly funny about portraying an old fashioned totalitarian state, as er, an old fashioned totalitarian state.

In effect we are lauging at the North Korean team and not with them. I think the vid was in poor taste. Kind of like laughing at a paraplegic trying to complete an obstacle race.

Phil D. Rolls
16-06-2010, 08:27 AM
If there was a smiley for woosh, over the heed, i would display it now.

:faf: :faf: :faf:

I don't get it.............:greengrin

ps admins, can we get such a smiley? I can think of one poster in particular who could use it as their avatar.

Phil MaGlass
16-06-2010, 08:43 AM
http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/sport/Tom-English-39The-level-of.6364084.jp

Phil D. Rolls
16-06-2010, 08:50 AM
http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/sport/Tom-English-39The-level-of.6364084.jp

Head nail on hit.

The_Todd
16-06-2010, 04:49 PM
I found the coverage of the North Korea match cringey last night. Poking fun at them for training in a public gym - a very modern and well equipped public gym at that - seemed off to me. Let's get something straight - they're footballers, not Gods. Why shouldn't footballers use public facilities? Are they somehow "above" it? Good on them.

Then the topics moved to the politics of North Korea. "Not the time or place", I thought to myself, before poking fun at the videos the team were watching. This all carried on until it turned out North Korea weren't rolling over and were putting up some competition to Brazil. Then at half time, the camera zoomed in on a poster saying something like "forget the politics" - to which the commentator said they weren't going to, despite the fact they'd been banging on about it.

The commentry is bad enough already but it was driving me nuts - was it too much for football commentry teams to stick to something they almost know something about, ie football? If we wanted to mix political debate with football we'd either watch Celtic TV and Rangers TV or get Jeremy Paxman to commentate.

Rant over - they'll get what's coming to them when one of these "lesser" teams put them out the cup.

Phil D. Rolls
16-06-2010, 04:58 PM
I found the coverage of the North Korea match cringey last night. Poking fun at them for training in a public gym - a very modern and well equipped public gym at that - seemed off to me. Let's get something straight - they're footballers, not Gods. Why shouldn't footballers use public facilities? Are they somehow "above" it? Good on them.

Then the topics moved to the politics of North Korea. "Not the time or place", I thought to myself, before poking fun at the videos the team were watching. This all carried on until it turned out North Korea weren't rolling over and were putting up some competition to Brazil. Then at half time, the camera zoomed in on a poster saying something like "forget the politics" - to which the commentator said they weren't going to, despite the fact they'd been banging on about it.

The commentry is bad enough already but it was driving me nuts - was it too much for football commentry teams to stick to something they almost know something about, ie football? If we wanted to mix political debate with football we'd either watch Celtic TV and Rangers TV or get Jeremy Paxman to commentate.

Rant over - they'll get what's coming to them when one of these "lesser" teams put them out the cup.

Jeez, Paxman would be a great commentator. Even better anchor man, I bet he wouldn't put up with the banalaties that Shearer and co. are coming out with.

More likely to say something like "what, you mean to tell me that you are being paid for analysis and you don't even know one of their players names? come on, you can't expect people to put up with that".

green.and.white
16-06-2010, 05:05 PM
That video of the fake highlights was a joke in good humour by the BBC. It was made because the North Korea matches are only going to be shown if they win, which is crazy but totally true, look it up. It was an example video made by the BBC for a laugh. Get yer facts right before criticising, it was nothing to do with patronising them.

Phil D. Rolls
16-06-2010, 05:20 PM
That video of the fake highlights was a joke in good humour by the BBC. It was made because the North Korea matches are only going to be shown if they win, which is crazy but totally true, look it up. It was an example video made by the BBC for a laugh. Get yer facts right before criticising, it was nothing to do with patronising them.

Happy to stand corrected. Thanks.

Sylar
16-06-2010, 05:53 PM
I didn't find the BBC coverage of the Spain vs Switzerland game to be overly unbearable today. The pieces in between the match and analysis, looking at the history of the Soweto uprising was nice. They also showed 2 of the England (I know, I know...) players visiting an orphanage in Rustenburg, visiting some of the young football fans, spending time playing with them, signing autographs and being introduced to the work being done there.

More of this would be a much better touch than the constant updates on the English team/attempts to poke fun at how bad it's been so far. I'm quite interested in South Africa - the politics, the country, the culture and the history. This is the first time the World Cup has been held in Africa and this is a good chance to highlight the nation to a huge audience.

PiemanP
16-06-2010, 05:53 PM
well i found the video in question funny :LOL:

jdships
16-06-2010, 06:07 PM

:top marks twice over !!!!!!!:thumbsup:

big-mo
16-06-2010, 06:08 PM
Did anyone else notice that the crowd sound on the Spain v Swiss game was dubbed? It sounded like I was listening to a game on the playstation, I assume that it was just to cover up the sound of the vuvuzels. It was just a pity that they had not just covered up the McCarthy commentary and left the crowd sound.

Phil D. Rolls
16-06-2010, 06:13 PM
:top marks twice over !!!!!!!:thumbsup:

OK OK, you've made your point! :greengrin

jdships
16-06-2010, 06:37 PM
OK OK, you've made your point! :greengrin

Just following your method as a good example of how to get a point across :wink:

Phil D. Rolls
16-06-2010, 08:02 PM
Just following your method as a good example of how to get a point across :wink:

Sir, I am flattered. :not worth:

dangermouse
17-06-2010, 10:18 AM
I didn't find the BBC coverage of the Spain vs Switzerland game to be overly unbearable today. The pieces in between the match and analysis, looking at the history of the Soweto uprising was nice. They also showed 2 of the England (I know, I know...) players visiting an orphanage in Rustenburg, visiting some of the young football fans, spending time playing with them, signing autographs and being introduced to the work being done there.

More of this would be a much better touch than the constant updates on the English team/attempts to poke fun at how bad it's been so far. I'm quite interested in South Africa - the politics, the country, the culture and the history. This is the first time the World Cup has been held in Africa and this is a good chance to highlight the nation to a huge audience.

I think this is something to do with a Tottenham Hotspur supported charity. Good on them for taking time out with the kid though.