PDA

View Full Version : Mick McCarthy

ekhibee
15-06-2010, 09:16 PM
A lot of the commentaries during the World Cup have been pretty garbage, and McCarthy I find the most irritating, but then he's always irritated me anyway. Am I in a minority?

HibeeMcGinn1
15-06-2010, 09:18 PM
A lot of the commentaries during the World Cup have been pretty garbage, and McCarthy I find the most irritating, but then he's always irritated me anyway. Am I in a minority?

Cant stand him either. Also listening to Robbie Savange on five live :grr: what a pain in the arse.

stokesmessiah
15-06-2010, 09:24 PM

No......He is a Goon of the highest order.

Dashing Bob S
15-06-2010, 09:31 PM
He always seems, for some reason, a chap you want to like and feel you should like, and when you finally admit to yourself, no, he's a bit of an ********, you dislike even more for wasting your time wrestling with that dilemma. Keane was right about him, an irritating sort.

stokesmessiah
15-06-2010, 09:34 PM
He always seems, for some reason, a chap you want to like and feel you should like, and when you finally admit to yourself, no, he's a bit of an ********, you dislike even more for wasting your time wrestling with that dilemma. Keane was right about him, an irritating sort.

Dashing Bob.......:top marks In a nutshell !

Sergey
15-06-2010, 09:35 PM
I like him on the BBC :agree: and Stephanie Flanders :thumbsup:

hibsbollah
15-06-2010, 10:09 PM
Roy Keane is a good judge of character. He threw a punch at Shearer and called McCarthy a ****.

Removed
15-06-2010, 10:23 PM
Roy Keane is a good judge of character. He threw a punch at Shearer and called McCarthy a ****.

You reckon :devil:

Toaods
15-06-2010, 10:36 PM

is that Roy Keane next to a true Sunderland legend...:wink:

Aubenas
15-06-2010, 10:37 PM
McCarthy's hard to like, but, as an Ireland supporter, I have to give him respect for standing up to that arrogant,self obsessed, petty and childish tosser that is Roy Keane when he put himself before his country.
Keane was right in much of what he said about the FAI, but it had been the case for years. To throw his toys out the pram the week before the World Cup was just self seeking and unthinkable - so well done Mick.

IWasThere2016
16-06-2010, 05:43 AM
I wish he and the missus would shut up and let me enjoy the WC :greengrin

lyonhibs
16-06-2010, 07:36 AM
I honestly don't know where to begin and this craggy chinned slavering buffoon. His excellent treatment of that gimp Roy Keane notwithstanding, his "abilities" as a commentator are risible.

1st of all his pace of delivery is more suited to a lazy afternoon on the porch with a fat cigar, not a fast paced football match. He'll still be blabbering some inane drivel about a misplaced pass some 2 minutes after it was made, and he'll have started said inane drivel immediately after the pass was made - so slooooooooooooooow.

He should do a audio tape of War and Peace, then sell it to Insomniacs UK - he'd make a ****ing mint.

Secondly, it's the actual words he spouts - unbelievable. That is when he manages to get the words out, one after the other, at the first time of asking.

Recent highlights include:

"Oooooo errrrrr, I'll just use his shirt number" - reference to Peter Odemwingie, cos the thick muppet couldn't be bothered pronouncing his name.

"For me, teams win matches" :confused: :confused:

"I'm a bit surprised that Buffon has been taken off" - as if this change had some sort of tactical side to it, and Lippi had it planned as a tactical masterstroke.

The guy's a berk, and games on which him and Lawrenson are commentating are literally the pits of the earth from an audio enjoyment point of view.

Can't believe people want the vuvuelza's banned, yet these collection of malcompetents and smarmy, patronising ********s are all over our screens and airwaves.

heretoday
16-06-2010, 07:59 AM
I would say in Mick McC's favour that at least he is actually involved in the game at a high level so he can be said to know what he's talking about. He's the bluff Yorkshireman. You like it. You don't like it. I'd listen to him rather than Hansen.

He did come out with a McCarthy classic the other night. "Italy play what I call the parasite game. They wait for yer to make a mistake."

Shouldn't that be er "predator" Mick?

Oh those lions and tigers - they're such parasites!

jdships
16-06-2010, 08:05 AM

:top marks
Says it all for me !
But then the whole coverage set up by ITV is run/appears like the "Amateur Hour" - while the "BEEB " has faults , as does any live programme , it is light years ahead of ITV

:greengrin

Holmesdale Hibs
16-06-2010, 08:22 AM

No. His commentry is ****. Nippy accent as well.

Speedway
16-06-2010, 08:59 AM

Was that taken on a spank holiday Monday?

Dan Sarf
16-06-2010, 12:17 PM
It's his "nowt surprises me, been there, done it, I've seen it all before" know-all attitude that gets on my one and a quarter new pences (is that right?)

iwasthere1972
16-06-2010, 12:30 PM

Him, Mark Lawrenson and Ian Wright must have the same parents.

All fannies.

Spudster
16-06-2010, 12:35 PM
Good read on how bad the 'expert' analysis has been this year
http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/Tom-English-39The-level-of.6364084.jp

steakbake
16-06-2010, 12:46 PM
Alan Green. Need I say more? The man is a class A james blunt.

Last night he was on about reducing the World Cup to 16 teams because there are "too many joke teams in it".

hibsbollah
16-06-2010, 12:47 PM
Good read on how bad the 'expert' analysis has been this year
http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/Tom-English-39The-level-of.6364084.jp

Thats an excellent article and sums up exactly how I feel about the punditry on offer by the two channels:agree:

I can't believe that about McCarthy not knowing Veron was the same Veron that was at Man Utd:boo hoo: He was South American player of the year for the last two seasons FFS:bitchy:

NORTHERNHIBBY
16-06-2010, 02:05 PM
Sorry, but I think that McCarthy is great value. Queue his comments just before Italy took that corner...." You can see Paraguay growing in confidence....they are starting to believe they can win this game"...Comedy gold.

As for Roy Keane, if he had any real conviction in his beliefs he would come out and publicly get stuck into Jack Charlton because it was him that started to legally bend the rules and get non-irish players turning out for the Republic. IMHO that was the catalyst for where they are today. A huge shot in the arm that now means that the ROI can almost field a first X1 and subbies that play in the Premiership. But it would take a brave man to stand up and say that their performances at 94 and 98 were worthless as they were achieved under false pretences. Keane isn't a brave man. He is a bully that hides behind a largely media built personality.

houston1875
16-06-2010, 02:06 PM
Watching spain game and what a droll voice he got!

He's a absolute slaver!!!

heretoday
16-06-2010, 02:21 PM

Last night he was on about reducing the World Cup to 16 teams because there are "too many joke teams in it".

You're right. I can't stand him. Chris Waddle beside him makes things worse.

I think it's his smugness that I hate.

And his annoying accent.

sambajustice
16-06-2010, 02:33 PM
I honestly don't know where to begin and this craggy chinned slavering buffoon. His excellent treatment of that gimp Roy Keane notwithstanding, his "abilities" as a commentator are risible.

1st of all his pace of delivery is more suited to a lazy afternoon on the porch with a fat cigar, not a fast paced football match. He'll still be blabbering some inane drivel about a misplaced pass some 2 minutes after it was made, and he'll have started said inane drivel immediately after the pass was made - so slooooooooooooooow.

He should do a audio tape of War and Peace, then sell it to Insomniacs UK - he'd make a ****ing mint.

Secondly, it's the actual words he spouts - unbelievable. That is when he manages to get the words out, one after the other, at the first time of asking.

"Oooooo errrrrr, I'll just use his shirt number" - reference to Peter Odemwingie, cos the thick muppet couldn't be bothered pronouncing his name.

"I'm a bit surprised that Buffon has been taken off" - as if this change had some sort of tactical side to it, and Lippi had it planned as a tactical masterstroke.

The guy's a berk, and games on which him and Lawrenson are commentating are literally the pits of the earth from an audio enjoyment point of view.

Can't believe people want the vuvuelza's banned, yet these collection of malcompetents and smarmy, patronising ********s are all over our screens and airwaves.

:top marks Wot 'e sed!

Chuckie
16-06-2010, 02:35 PM
Looks and sounds like Herman Munster but has none of his loveable qualities.

Sylar
16-06-2010, 02:41 PM

Surely he's perfectly suited for this WC then, no?

bawheid
16-06-2010, 02:52 PM

Almost crashed the car when he came out with that one!

I wondered to myself who Green would have in his magical 16. Surely it would be England plus 15 others to make sure the quality of the tournament was to his and his colleagues liking.

However, would there be a place for the USA, who more than held their own against Gerrard and co? How about Croatia, who saw to it that the Three Lions didn't travel to Euro 2008? Would Portugal be invited to the party? After all they did knock England out last time around...

Green's comment was typical of the sneering snobbery that has been prevalent through most of the English media's coverage so far. I literally cannot WAIT until they are on the plane home.

The World Cup should be a celebration of World football...including developing teams from Africa (most of whom could stuff England), minnows from Europe (who qualified fair and square) and lesser known Asian sides (even if Green struggles to bother his arse to learn their names properly). If you reduced it to the 16 "best" sides in the World, you'd be left with the same scenario we have now in the Champions League – the same teams in the same competition with the same results...and by the way Alan Green, there are plenty dull games in that particular competition.

He's a c0ck.

Lofarl
16-06-2010, 03:10 PM
Theres different ways of scoring a goal.

Em no Mick.

Phil D. Rolls
16-06-2010, 03:37 PM
Have to say, I'm enjoying listening to his no nonsense approach. At least he's trying to talk about football.

CropleyWasGod
16-06-2010, 03:43 PM
Almost crashed the car when he came out with that one!

I wondered to myself who Green would have in his magical 16. Surely it would be England plus 15 others to make sure the quality of the tournament was to his and his colleagues liking.

However, would there be a place for the USA, who more than held their own against Gerrard and co? How about Croatia, who saw to it that the Three Lions didn't travel to Euro 2008? Would Portugal be invited to the party? After all they did knock England out last time around...

Green's comment was typical of the sneering snobbery that has been prevalent through most of the English media's coverage so far. I literally cannot WAIT until they are on the plane home.

The World Cup should be a celebration of World football...including developing teams from Africa (most of whom could stuff England), minnows from Europe (who qualified fair and square) and lesser known Asian sides (even if Green struggles to bother his arse to learn their names properly). If you reduced it to the 16 "best" sides in the World, you'd be left with the same scenario we have now in the Champions League – the same teams in the same competition with the same results...and by the way Alan Green, there are plenty dull games in that particular competition.

He's a c0ck.

... and an Irishman :wink:

CropleyWasGod
16-06-2010, 03:46 PM
Theres different ways of scoring a goal.

Em no Mick.

In the context of what else was being said, he was absolutely right. Doesn't always have to be about classy football. As he said, Switzerland don't have the players that Spain have, so they need to play to their strengths.

Which they have.

bawheid
16-06-2010, 03:48 PM
... and an Irishman :wink:

...who is clearly part of the English media establishment and supports England. :wink:

CropleyWasGod
16-06-2010, 03:50 PM
...who is clearly part of the English media establishment and supports England. :wink:

He is indeed, I'll give you that.

He went on a rant last time round about the Jason Scotland supporters club in Perth when T and T were playing England. I emailed the BBC to complain.

No reply.

Phil D. Rolls
16-06-2010, 04:11 PM
He is indeed, I'll give you that.

He went on a rant last time round about the Jason Scotland supporters club in Perth when T and T were playing England. I emailed the BBC to complain.

No reply.

I heard they were working eight days a week trying to answer all the complaints.:wink:

steakbake
16-06-2010, 04:21 PM
I can't stand him. He's an absolute cleft. But sometimes when I'm working, its either football on the radio or nothing at all....

His sneering superiority and disdain for "having" to commentate and watch New Zealand against Slovakia was something else. I happened to think was an alright match - a last minute equaliser from an underdog team, what more do you want?- hardly one that makes you think of excluding any but the top teams.

The man is paid to go and talk about football for a couple of hours a day in South Africa for a month and he has the audacity to moan about the standard on show, the vuvuzelas, the ball - I mean really, the guy clearly hasn't kicked a football in his life. He couldn't run the length of himself. And he only resents the vuvuzelas because it drowns out his favourite noise - his own tedious, whining, whinging voice.

He's a prize tit throughout the rest of the season as well.

The_Todd
16-06-2010, 05:06 PM

That really got my back up, that one - the World Cup is a wonderful festival of international football bit there's some who think all football competitions should be a closed shop to only the select few who they deem acceptable. On the evidence of this world cup so far, Enlgand wouldn't be in my 16 at the finals anyway.

lyonhibs
16-06-2010, 05:07 PM
I can't stand him. He's an absolute cleft. But sometimes when I'm working, its either football on the radio or nothing at all....

His sneering superiority and disdain for "having" to commentate and watch New Zealand against Slovakia was something else. I happened to think was an alright match - a last minute equaliser from an underdog team, what more do you want?- hardly one that makes you think of excluding any but the top teams.

The man is paid to go and talk about football for a couple of hours a day in South Africa for a month and he has the audacity to moan about the standard on show, the vuvuzelas, the ball - I mean really, the guy clearly hasn't kicked a football in his life. He couldn't run the length of himself. And he only resents the vuvuzelas because it drowns out his favourite noise - his own tedious, whining, whinging voice.

He's a prize tit throughout the rest of the season as well.

Yes, yes and yes :agree: :top marks

Chuckie
16-06-2010, 05:12 PM
He's got the kind of voice that could make an ode by Keats sound like he's reading a list of building materials.

stanton_4
16-06-2010, 09:17 PM
I agree with most things he says. It's just that it's him saying it lol. He's hard to like. And he's a door swine to boot. I actually quite like him cos that's the way he is and he doesn't give a tupney **** if you like that or not.

zosohibee
16-06-2010, 09:32 PM
Always waits for the nice slow replay before saying "never a freekick/foul/whatever" and moans about every piece of play

Chuckie
16-06-2010, 10:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MHiPrVfdgM

Hibee-Bongo
17-06-2010, 12:51 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNy4JkglF1w

hibsbollah
18-06-2010, 12:32 PM
Mick just called the Germany goalie 'a big fairy'.
One of his more intelligent contributions.

GhostofBolivar
18-06-2010, 12:43 PM
Mick just called the Germany goalie 'a big fairy'.
One of his more intelligent contributions.

And people wonder why there aren't any openly gay footballers...

Twa Cairpets
18-06-2010, 12:49 PM
Loathsome opinionated pr!ck with a class bypass and a lack of knowledge of the laws of the game which - as an ex international player, premiership manger and professional pundit - is beyond belief.

Don't be fooled by the bluff no-nonsense Yorkshireman angle - he uses this as justification for being a blooded turd of a man

Devine
18-06-2010, 01:57 PM
And people wonder why there aren't any openly gay footballers...

Oh dear oh dear now we're not allowed to call players 'big fairies' in case they might be gay get a grip!
:confused:

GhostofBolivar
18-06-2010, 02:16 PM
Oh dear oh dear now we're not allowed to call players 'big fairies' in case they might be gay get a grip!
:confused:

So you don't think there might be a correlation between there being no openly gay footballers and a BBC commentator - and manager of a top-flight club - using language that is widely recognised as homophobic?

It has nothing to do with whether the player in question is or isn't gay and everything to do with perpetuating a culture where people are unable to be themselves.

GlesgaeHibby
18-06-2010, 02:27 PM
So you don't think there might be a correlation between there being no openly gay footballers and a BBC commentator - and manager of a top-flight club - using language that is widely recognised as homophobic?

It has nothing to do with whether the player in question is or isn't gay and everything to do with perpetuating a culture where people are unable to be themselves.

How on earth is 'big fairy' regarded as homophobic?

Here we go again with the PC brigade, let's try and make a completely innocuous phrase that had nothing to do with his sexuality become a homophobic remark.

CropleyWasGod
18-06-2010, 02:33 PM
How on earth is 'big fairy' regarded as homophobic?

Here we go again with the PC brigade, let's try and make a completely innocuous phrase that had nothing to do with his sexuality become a homophobic remark.

From Wikipedia, not of course the most reliable of sources....

Fairy...# A Homosexual or effeminate male.

I can't think of any reason why he would use such an expression, other than in disapproval of the guy's masculinity.

stu in nottingham
18-06-2010, 02:43 PM
What I heard McCarthy say was that the goalie was being a 'big tart'.

Without entering into the political correctness debate, generally speaking, the man really shouldn't be let loose in the vicinity of a microphone.

hibsbollah
18-06-2010, 02:50 PM
What I heard McCarthy say was that the goalie was being a 'big tart'.

Without entering into the political correctness debate, generally speaking, the man really shouldn't be let loose in the vicinity of a microphone.

Fairy, tart...whatever:greengrin
I wasnt really accusing him of homophobia, just of being a bit of an erse.

stu in nottingham
18-06-2010, 02:53 PM
I wasnt really accusing him of homophobia, just of being a bit of an erse.

CASE PROVEN - NEXT!

hibsbollah
18-06-2010, 02:57 PM
CASE PROVEN - NEXT!

Apologies for misquoting the redoubtable Mr McCarthy:greengrin

CropleyWasGod
18-06-2010, 02:58 PM
Apologies for misquoting the redoubtable Mr McCarthy:greengrin

Tartist ******* :greengrin

Devine
18-06-2010, 03:00 PM

No I don't. 'Big fairy' is NOT homophobic

PC brigade out in force and making something out of nothing again quite frankly embarrassing. I can't stand this culture of people not being able to say something slightly off the script in case someone, somewhere takes it the wrong way and makes a play at it being offensive!

hibsbollah
18-06-2010, 03:00 PM
Tartist ******* :greengrin

Some of his best friends are gay, apparently.