PDA

View Full Version : Genuine letter in yesterdays' Daily Mail

hibsbollah
15-06-2010, 07:06 AM
Wouldn't it be great if TV coverage of the World Cup was limited to England's games, those of hosts South Africa and of the tournament's 'big guns'.
Then we would be spared the ordeal of having to sit through a match between Bongo Bongoland and the Former Soviet Republic of Bulimia and other meaningless events.

Mike Phelps
Yeovil, Somerset

:faf:
This is surely the result of watching too much Mark Lawrenson.

http://tabloid-watch.blogspot.com/2010/06/dear-daily-mail.html
Whoops, it wasnt yesterday, it was Thursdays...

OstKurve Hibs
15-06-2010, 07:12 AM
Wouldn't it be great if TV coverage of the World Cup was limited to England's games, those of hosts South Africa and of the tournament's 'big guns'.
Then we would be spared the ordeal of having to sit through a match between Bongo Bongoland and the Former Soviet Republic of Bulimia and other meaningless events.

Mike Phelps
Yeovil, Somerset

What a tool! No-one makes the twat watch it!!!

H18sry
15-06-2010, 07:14 AM

Mike Phelps
Yeovil, Somerset

I'm suprised the Daily Mail has printed such a racist comment :confused:

lyonhibs
15-06-2010, 07:29 AM

I'm not.

erin-go-bragh87
15-06-2010, 07:29 AM
You've got to laugh at folk like that. Try turning the TV off and writing more racist letters to national newspapers. That should fill the time between dole queues and BNP marches.

truehibernian
15-06-2010, 08:01 AM
As lyonhibs says, not surprised in the slightest. The Daily Mail has long been the sponsors/sounding board of royalty, conservatism and this horrible "Britannia Rules The Waves" mentality - would never ever allow the miserable rag through my door.

heretoday
15-06-2010, 08:08 AM
As lyonhibs says, not surprised in the slightest. The Daily Mail has long been the sponsors/sounding board of royalty, conservatism and this horrible "Britannia Rules The Waves" mentality - would never ever allow the miserable rag through my door.

That's not entirely true. If you read the Mail website at least it becomes clear that the paper likes nothing better than to knock the Royal family, celebrities and indeed anyone who, in their opinion, is getting more than they deserve out of life.

It's the classic paper for the bitter curtain twitcher who thinks the woman next door is "no better than she should be". The Express has become the same.

GlesgaeHibby
15-06-2010, 08:08 AM

Par for the course with the Daily Heil. Not surprised in the slightest.

jgl07
15-06-2010, 08:31 AM
Most "readers' letters" to tabloids are written by the editorial staff anyway.

This certainly looks like a Daily Mail editorial.

Phil D. Rolls
15-06-2010, 08:31 AM
Sir,

As neither Bulimia or Bongobongo Land are real countries I fail to see how this letter can be racist. It is not as if the residents of a fictional country can be offended by us not wanting to see their football team. The PC brigade are hell bent on destroying what little bit fun we have.

Uncle Tom Sambo

brog
15-06-2010, 08:38 AM
The Daily Mail's fascist background goes a long way back. In the 1930's they turned one of Franco's generals into a matinee idol & they appeased & tacitly supported Nazi Germany until the outbreak of war when of course they did a complete u-turn. I won't allow the rag anywhere near my home.

jgl07
15-06-2010, 08:45 AM
The Daily Mail's fascist background goes a long way back. In the 1930's they turned one of Franco's generals into a matinee idol & they appeased & tacitly supported Nazi Germany until the outbreak of war when of course they did a complete u-turn. I won't allow the rag anywhere near my home.
They also came out with the famous headline:

Hurrah for the Blackshirts!

LancsHibs
15-06-2010, 08:47 AM
I see on today's front page they are continuing their campaign against fox's. I am beginning to agree with them, these evil dangerous creatures should be hunted down & destroyed by toffs in red coats on horseback blowing horns.....a ****ing menace!!!:idiot:

Phil D. Rolls
15-06-2010, 09:00 AM
I see on today's front page they are continuing their campaign against fox's. I am beginning to agree with them, these evil dangerous creatures should be hunted down & destroyed by toffs in red coats on horseback blowing horns.....a ****ing menace!!!:idiot:

I have to say this is truly unfair, I have always preferred them to any other biskwit.:boo hoo:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/05/23/article-1186884-02EEB38400000578-373_468x286.jpg

Baader
15-06-2010, 02:51 PM
Nasty, nasty paper which no-one should buy

sesoim
15-06-2010, 03:27 PM
Sir,

As neither Bulimia or Bongobongo Land are real countries I fail to see how this letter can be racist. It is not as if the residents of a fictional country can be offended by us not wanting to see their football team. The PC brigade are hell bent on destroying what little bit fun we have.

Uncle Tom Sambo

:agree: It's a stuck up comment but not racist. It's just typical that the PC brigade here want to make an issue out of it.

Phil D. Rolls
15-06-2010, 03:59 PM
:agree: It's a stuck up comment but not racist. It's just typical that the PC brigade here want to make an issue out of it.

To be fair, nobody actually said it was racist. I was trying to be ironic about anyone who would try and defend that letter. I think it is offensive in the way it shows lack of respect.

jacomo
15-06-2010, 04:58 PM

It sounds pretty racist to me. It's one thing for one wilfully ignorant, small-town bigot to write it, quite another for a national newspaper to print such pathetic stuff.

Bongo Bongo land? It's not much different from complaining there are too many gollywogs on tv these days.

jgl07
15-06-2010, 05:12 PM
It sounds pretty racist to me. It's one thing for one wilfully ignorant, small-town bigot to write it, quite another for a national newspaper to print such pathetic stuff.

Bongo Bongo land? It's not much different from complaining there are too many gollywogs on tv these days.
You are pinching Boris Johnston's line.

Hillsidehibby
15-06-2010, 05:33 PM
I am incandescent with rage!!!!!!!!!!

When did we let Africans play soccer?:grr:

CropleyWasGod
15-06-2010, 05:39 PM

... on a Sunday morning, when the rest of us went to Church to give thanks.

jgl07
15-06-2010, 06:00 PM

No-one but the Yanks or the Australians play 'soccer'.

The rest of the world play football.

Phil D. Rolls
15-06-2010, 06:20 PM

It's possible the guy was on the wind up. It's too ignorant to be a real person, isn't it?

Aubenas
15-06-2010, 07:25 PM
Clive James summed up the Daily Mail/Tory view of the world brilliantly some years ago as:
We won't be safe until everybody else is dead:grr:

Chibs
15-06-2010, 07:35 PM
Bongobongo land sounds like a great place to do preseason tour in my opinion,plus Bongo is a good Hibee and I like the bongos or is that banjoes, I dont know, back to the beer.

Hainan Hibs
15-06-2010, 07:38 PM
Don't know whether to laugh or cry at that letter. The Daily Mail is a sorry excuse for a newspaper and some of it's readers are something else.

Hillsidehibby
15-06-2010, 08:22 PM
No-one but the Yanks or the Australians play 'soccer'.

The rest of the world play football.

Irony lost on you then?

Stuart Dutton
15-06-2010, 08:52 PM

Mike Phelps
Yeovil, Somerset

That guy is a total **** :grr:

Sir David Gray
15-06-2010, 09:17 PM

:agree: The comment was arrogant and stuck up but I don't believe it was racist.

You do get used to it, though. It's unbelievable the kind of things that certain people on here deem to be racist on a regular basis.

jacomo
15-06-2010, 10:20 PM
It's possible the guy was on the wind up. It's too ignorant to be a real person, isn't it?

Daily Mail is far too wound-up and furious to allow humour in its pages.

jacomo
15-06-2010, 10:21 PM
Clive James summed up the Daily Mail/Tory view of the world brilliantly some years ago as:
We won't be safe until everybody else is dead:grr:

Yup, perfect summary of these small-minded morons.

Prof. Shaggy
15-06-2010, 11:49 PM
:agree: The comment was arrogant and stuck up but I don't believe it was racist.

You do get used to it, though. It's unbelievable the kind of things that certain people on here deem to be racist on a regular basis.

Nah, it's about as racist as things get.

Banter
16-06-2010, 12:21 AM

Mike Phelps
Yeovil, Somerset

Knowing the luck the English get with the draws they would probably both be in Englands group anyway.

Phil D. Rolls
16-06-2010, 09:03 AM

I suppose you could say that someone who thinks his country is superior to others is racist though. Or is it just nationalistic?

JimBHibees
16-06-2010, 10:49 AM

Bongo bongo land, completely racist lingo IMO.

LHWM
16-06-2010, 11:15 AM

That won't be the same Daily Mail that was anti Jewish before WWI and was a supporter of Adolf Hitler before WWII.

LHWM
16-06-2010, 11:18 AM
Bongo bongo land, completely racist lingo IMO.

Paul 'Bongo Bongo' played for Standard Liege against Hearts in 1958

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/images/gold/1958090907.jpg

Phil D. Rolls
16-06-2010, 11:29 AM

Must have done well out of his career to be able to start his own country.:greengrin

LHWM
16-06-2010, 11:33 AM
Must have done well out of his career to be able to start his own country.:greengrin

I think He was called 'Bongo Bongo' because He was black and came from the 'Congo'. Very less PC days then.

Phil D. Rolls
16-06-2010, 11:35 AM
I think He was called 'Bongo Bongo' because He was black and came from the 'Congo'. Very less PC days then.

Un PC to the extent of being totally racist. Those loveable Belgians, didn't they give us Tintin au Congo?

Dinkydoo
16-06-2010, 11:37 AM

Mike Phelps
Yeovil, Somerset

If it's such an "ordeal" for him then why doesn't he just change the channel? :blah:

Idiot :faf:

LHWM
16-06-2010, 11:37 AM
Un PC to the extent of being totally racist. Those loveable Belgians, didn't they give us Tintin au Congo?

I was reading a match report in the Sunday Post from 1950 which referred to the 'players working like ******s'.

Phil D. Rolls
16-06-2010, 11:47 AM
I was reading a match report in the Sunday Post from 1950 which referred to the 'players working like ******s'.

It was a different time, and - although it was wrong - no harm would have been meant by it.

I just wish those that criticise political correctness would acknowledge where we have come from, and recognise that we could go back to it if we arent careful.

Things like this:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Md61l_4llto/RpZnNBN2b1I/AAAAAAAAAsM/unUXRxd-kKo/s320/tintin2.jpg

That's the sort of thing a lot of grew up with. Black people are inferior , funny creatures.

JimBHibees
16-06-2010, 01:36 PM

I knew that. :greengrin:dizzy:

The_Todd
16-06-2010, 04:34 PM
Sounds like a letter from Richard Littlejohn's long lost brother to me. Maybe when England are knocked out, as they will be in the not-too-distant future he thinks they should stop showing any of the world cup?

magpie1892
16-06-2010, 04:37 PM
Most "readers' letters" to tabloids are written by the editorial staff anyway.

This certainly looks like a Daily Mail editorial.

That's bang on. I wrote three or four letters for the Scottish News of the World letters' page every Friday for about nine months.

Phil D. Rolls
16-06-2010, 05:03 PM
That's bang on. I wrote three or four letters for the Scottish News of the World letters' page every Friday for about nine months.

How much is a cup of tea in Auchterarder these days?