PDA

View Full Version : NHC World Cup Refereeing.

Bayern Bru
13-06-2010, 06:46 PM
Just watched Mesut Ozil receive a yellow card for simulation, and out of all the games I've watched so far (admittedly, most of them!) the refereeing has been impeccable.

Both red cards (Uruguay and Algeria) were spot on and there have been bookings for shirt-pulling, diving etc. As a result, the games are flowing more and there are less 'needless' stoppages - because the officials are applying the rules.

A pity we don't/can't enjoy similar scenes in the SPL. I know these officials are the pick of the bunch across the world but a lot of it is purely common sense, which probably says a lot for our refs. :rolleyes:

hibsbollah
13-06-2010, 07:25 PM
Noticed the same, and even anti-ref curmudgeon Alan Green admitted the same on 5Live tonight. Theyve been excellent.

SlickShoes
13-06-2010, 07:32 PM
Its good seeing folk getting booked for clear dives so early might stop it happening or players risking it later on in the tournament.

GB6
13-06-2010, 07:43 PM
disagree with that red though

Dunbar Hibee
13-06-2010, 07:44 PM

Never a red.

Sylar
13-06-2010, 07:44 PM
Yep - pretty poor decision - yellow at worst.

He's very card-happy this chap!

greenlex
13-06-2010, 07:46 PM

Never a red.

Piss poor challenge and made the ref make a decision. Ref was wrong but Cahill made him make the decision however wrong.

Bayern Bru
13-06-2010, 07:59 PM
Thanks to Marco Rodriguez for completely wrecking this thread! :grr::greengrin

patlowe
13-06-2010, 08:32 PM
Thought the red card was fair enough, from certain angles it looked horrendous. The refereeing has been great so far IMO, good to see.

Hibeebob
13-06-2010, 08:36 PM
I must not have seen those angles then. Because it never looked horrendous on my telly.

Shocking decision, in every angle I've seen. Not the best tackle in the world mind.

patlowe
13-06-2010, 08:43 PM
I must not have seen those angles then. Because it never looked horrendous on my telly.

Shocking decision, in every angle I've seen. Not the best tackle in the world mind.

Fair enough. To me, that could have easily been a broken leg and it's the kind of clumsy tackle that needs to be clamped down on.

Hibeebob
13-06-2010, 08:55 PM
Seriously?:confused:

I'm not trying to be smart here, but are we talking about cahill?

Each to their own. But if that's a straight red then their will be a fair few sendings off in the coming weeks.

Only my arpinion.

Refs have been good up till tonight tho.

Winston Ingram
13-06-2010, 09:06 PM
I thought the standard of referring has been excellent apart from the last game:agree:

SidBurns
13-06-2010, 10:08 PM
I got told at my referee course that the following applies:-

* A careless tackle - have a word, no caution
* A reckless tackle - caution
* A dangerous tackle - sending off

I personally think the Cahill tackle falls in between reckless and dangerous. For me, I would've cautioned but told him that anymore tackles, he'd be offski...

Stew the Hibee
13-06-2010, 10:14 PM
My initial reaction to the Cahill challenge was a red. At first glance it appeared to be pretty reckless and dangerous. On the replay however, Cahill sees he isn't going to win the ball, so tries to take his studs away, so it should have been a yellow. Completely understand the decision to send him off though. With Ozil, the booking also stopped him taking a dive to win a penalty against Schwarzer, and went on to have a great game. Hoping for more of the same :greengrin

greenlex
13-06-2010, 10:27 PM
Never near the ball and from behind made the ref think it was dangerous. Red by the letter of the law.

SidBurns
13-06-2010, 10:30 PM
Never near the ball and from behind made the ref think it was dangerous. Red by the letter of the law.

I can see where your coming from but still a yellow for me. Can totally see why the ref sent him off though. We have numerous angles to look at, from the refs angle it would've looked over the ball, well late and from the back = dangerous = red.

If I had be refereeing from the tunnel side I would've only booked him but from the refs view, see above...

lyonhibs
14-06-2010, 07:45 AM
Not on your nelly was that a sending off for Cahill.

He clearly angles his studs well away from Schweinsteiger and actually ends up taking him out with his shins more or less.

Add in that it wasn't off the ground or malicious, and the ref dropped a major bollock on that one IMO.

That said, from the initial camera angle, in real time, it looked a bit worse, and I guess the ref only gets 1 bite at the cherry so to speak.

brog
14-06-2010, 08:14 AM
I agree completely, refereeing on whole has been outstanding though Cahill's red was a tad harsh. It was great to see Craig Moore immediately booked for verbal abuse, thought he was back at Greyskull!! Oz can't complain too much re Cahill as Lucas Neill could easily have been red carded, really should have been booked in first half for horrible challenge & his knees into Klose's back was awful, really cynical.
Let's hope they set standards for next season & that English goalkeeping also continues to raise the bar! :wink:

Forza Fred
14-06-2010, 08:18 AM
If yuo truly believe Cahill's tackle warranted a red card, then if the same level of application is used in SPL matches next year there will be games abandoned because teams have less than 7 men prior to the end of the game!:grr:

HUTCHYHIBBY
14-06-2010, 09:11 AM
The best decision by the officials so far was the linesman in the Mexico game having the savvy to give offside when there was a defender on the near post. Very quick thinking! :top marks