PDA

View Full Version : Question World cup scenario

1two
13-06-2010, 01:31 PM
What happens if two teams are level on points/goal difference/head to head?

Example - England beat algeria 1-nil, USA draw 0-0 with Slovenia, USA then beat algeria 1-nil and engalnd draw 0-0 with Slovenia!

This would leave all the top 3 sides level on points, goals and head to heads.

Who goes through?

I know this is a very unlikely scenario but with only 3 games each per group it can be unrealistic?

Hibernian Verse
13-06-2010, 01:33 PM
Coin flip IIRC.

nonshinyfinish
13-06-2010, 01:35 PM
Coin flip IIRC.

Yep.

I seem to remember that at some tournaments (maybe Euro 2000?) the rule was that the team with the higher UEFA/FIFA coefficient would go through, but this year it's definitely 'drawing of lots'.

Only fair thing you can do, IMO.

1two
13-06-2010, 01:38 PM
That's unbelievable.
Co efficient makes more sense than a coin toss though!
I would love to see this happen to England though.

Just read something on another site and it was suggested that they could base it on fair play, ie yellow card

nonshinyfinish
13-06-2010, 01:42 PM
Co efficient makes more sense than a coin toss though!

Really?!

So if two countries finish dead level, just let the 'big team' go through? To me that's completely unfair.

EDIT: Anyone know if this situation has actually ever arisen in a major tournament? I don't remember hearing about one.

Bayern Bru
13-06-2010, 01:46 PM
Do the sensible thing and let England progress. They're going to win it, remember?

Hibernian Verse
13-06-2010, 01:46 PM
Do the sensible thing and let England progress. They're going to win it, remember?

Don't be stupid, Hearts are.

Ally
13-06-2010, 01:52 PM
Tie-breaking criteria
For the World Cup tournament, FIFA uses the following criteria to rank teams in the Group Stage.
greatest number of points in all group matches;
goal difference in all group matches;
greatest number of goals scored in all group matches;
greatest number of points in matches between tied teams;
goal difference in matches between tied teams;
greatest number of goals scored in matches between tied teams;
drawing of lots by the FIFA Organising Committe

Bayern Bru
13-06-2010, 01:59 PM
Don't be stupid, Hearts are.

Oh of course. Schoolboy error.
On another note, I can't wait to see Larry Kingston starring for Ghana today. He was one of the World Cup stars Romanov was talking about wasn't he? :cool2:

SloopJB
13-06-2010, 03:17 PM
FIFA regulation 60382 paragraph 8:-
Where there is no clear winner from a group protocol 5 is applied whereby goal difference shall be the deciding factor the exception being where England are one of the teams involved, in this instance intercontinental agreement 261 will be invoked allowing other teams to progeress for not being fudz.

in the rules

Viva_Palmeiras
13-06-2010, 04:54 PM
The Russian mafia, Thai betting scamsters and Slept Bladder get involved.