PDA

View Full Version : Vuvuzela's to be banned?

TheGreenMan
13-06-2010, 10:17 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8737455.stm

BAN?

Lets hope so! :greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
13-06-2010, 10:18 AM
:pray:

lyonhibs
13-06-2010, 10:20 AM
I wish people would stop being so ruddy obstinate about these things - yes, the sound is a bit nippy, but the World Cup is in South Africa, vuvuzelas are a South African thing, ergo let them get on with it.

Are they really going to do away with a unique feature of this World Cup because Patric Evra and a few European based football broadcasters whinge like babies because they are "a bit noisy"?? :yawn:

TheGreenMan
13-06-2010, 10:23 AM
I wish people would stop being so ruddy obstinate about these things - yes, the sound is a bit nippy, but the World Cup is in South Africa, vuvuzelas are a South African thing, ergo let them get on with it.

Are they really going to do away with a unique feature of this World Cup because Patric Evra and a few European based football broadcasters whinge like babies because they are "a bit noisy"?? :yawn:

They are very annoying though...

Golden Bear
13-06-2010, 10:26 AM
The quicker they're banned the better imo.

Although we can all watch the games with the sound muted I suppose.

Gatecrasher
13-06-2010, 10:27 AM
:pray:

lyonhibs
13-06-2010, 10:30 AM
They are very annoying though...

True that, but are they any more annoying than the other option, aka Mark Lawrenson and Mick McCarthy passing down their "state the bloody obvious and be a patronising berk" knowledge to us??

Debatable - my point is that it's not like they are "ruining the World Cup" or anything - some media outlets and cry baby football players are reacting like the crowd are throwing *****e and rotting placentas onto the pitch.

glow1875
If they're banning all the annoying trumpets, does that include Clive Tyldesley??

PC Stamp
I'd rather they muted the commentators! :thumbsup:

hibeedonald

As the players say, they cant hear each other, the standard of football will therefore not be as good. And its not just Europeans, many of the players in the African Nations cup spoke out against them aswell.

Phil D. Rolls
If they're banning all the annoying trumpets, does that include Clive Tyldesley??

:top marks

bingo70
13-06-2010, 10:31 AM

How do you know it's just european based ones? Teams were complaining about them from the confederation cups last year and only Spain and Italy would have been from europe i think.

TBH i'm fed up speaking about them, they're doing my tits in but realistically i can't see them going anywhere so i'd rather just try and forget about them and hopefully by the end of the tournament i'll have learned to tune them out.

BullbreedHFC
13-06-2010, 10:33 AM
can't stand the bloody things :bitchy: hope they don't catch on at the games over here :no way: or am I just getting auld :greengrin

lyonhibs
13-06-2010, 10:34 AM
As the players say, they cant hear each other, the standard of football will therefore not be as good. And its not just Europeans, many of the players in the African Nations cup spoke out against them aswell.

Isn't the main argument against them that - apparently - they drown out the glorious decibels of crowds (from about 15 different countries by the looks of it) singing in unison, and "oh isn't that just the most rousing wonderful spectacle ever".

Presumably if the vuvuzela is removed and replaced by this wonderful atmospheric singing we are apparently missing out on, then the players still won't be able to hear each other??

And also, these are international quality players, so I assume they can use the forward facing holes in their heads to see?? :greengrin

SloopJB
13-06-2010, 10:38 AM
IF the finals were ever to held in Scotland, do you think bagpipes would be present at any of the games?

There were times during the England v USA game I wished the Vuvuzela were louder to drown out the singing.

You can please some of the people some... etc. etc

Ally
13-06-2010, 10:38 AM
They are incredibly annoying, can't see them getting banned though. Clive Tyldesley should be banned.

bingo70
13-06-2010, 10:39 AM
Isn't the main argument against them that - apparently - they drown out the glorious decibels of crowds (from about 15 different countries by the looks of it) singing in unison, and "oh isn't that just the most rousing wonderful spectacle ever".

Presumably if the vuvuzela is removed and replaced by this wonderful atmospheric singing we are apparently missing out on, then the players still won't be able to hear each other??

And also, these are international quality players, so I assume they can use the forward facing holes in their heads to see?? :greengrin

I think the main argument will be from the broadcasters that have put a lot of money into the world cup complaining that people aren't watching it because of them, obviously you've got you football fans that'll watch regardless but it'll be putting people off watching that are in two minds about watching a game or not.

Storar
13-06-2010, 10:41 AM

defo Tarq. Egro and and all that.
Can't see them being banned and I hope they blow them louder than ever in the next game! Was at one of the fan parks last night and there could only have been about 20 of them there and the noise was unreal, can't wait to here 90,000 all in the same place:thumbsup:

TheGreenMan
13-06-2010, 10:46 AM
True that, but are they any more annoying than the other option, aka Mark Lawrenson and Mick McCarthy passing down their "state the bloody obvious and be a patronising berk" knowledge to us??

Debatable - my point is that it's not like they are "ruining the World Cup" or anything - some media outlets and cry baby football players are reacting like the crowd are throwing *****e and rotting placentas onto the pitch.

That is one if the strangest things I've read on here i think...

Its not just the players and pundits who find them annoying, its most likely the majority of people watching on TV around the world.

Also, can you imagine being at a game and the guy next to you stands and blows that **** trumpet in your lugs for 90 mins! :grr: You'd take it off him at hit him with the thing!

Killiehibbie
13-06-2010, 10:47 AM
I think the main argument will be from the broadcasters that have put a lot of money into the world cup complaining that people aren't watching it because of them, obviously you've got you football fans that'll watch regardless but it'll be putting people off watching that are in two minds about watching a game or not.

I was in the car and started to listen to the first game on Friday but had to switch it off after 5 minutes. TV you can mute it but radio doesn't have that option.

TheGreenMan
13-06-2010, 10:53 AM
I've also noticed a few fans standing with bottles of Budweiser at the games, now I assume these will be plastic bottles but still, I fancy someone to launch a bottle or a Vuvuzela trumpet at an opposition player if things get a bit heated in a QF or SF match.

I didnt think people were allowed in stadiums with bottles?

Viva_Palmeiras
13-06-2010, 11:04 AM
Sorry not read the article but If its a cultural thing imagine the bagpipes being banned or the samba drums in Brazil there would be a diplomatic dispute.

Jack
13-06-2010, 11:13 AM
They should turn the sound of the crowd - the same way as they turn down the old firm sectarian bile.

Hibernian Verse
13-06-2010, 11:14 AM
Are you guys not used to the sound by now? It's now even that bad, it's a South African thing so just let them do it. It'll be over in a month.

sleeping giant
13-06-2010, 11:15 AM
Unbelievable :rolleyes:

Its their thing ! Get used to it:grr:

They are hosting the World Cup ! Blowing their trumpets is what they do.

sleeping giant
13-06-2010, 11:16 AM
They should turn the sound of the crowd - the same way as they turn down the old firm sectarian bile.

Theres a perfect solution right there :agree:

lucky
13-06-2010, 11:17 AM
They should be banned as its bloody annoying watching the games with that constant noise. I hope that they don't catch on over here.:grr:

Lofarl
13-06-2010, 11:22 AM
Balls to its their tournament let them blow them. Its a world event watched by billions.

Beefster
13-06-2010, 11:25 AM
Pathetic.

Let's stop the fans actually at the game from enjoying themselves in a perfectly legal way in order to keep the broadcasters happy.

Everyone applauding this potential decision - remember that when you're stopped with a flag or told to sit down at ER next season.

Viva_Palmeiras
13-06-2010, 11:45 AM
Balls to its their tournament let them blow them. Its a world event watched by billions.

So you'd allow them at a shinty game:cool2:?

Viva_Palmeiras
13-06-2010, 11:46 AM

Might versus right?

hibeenicol
13-06-2010, 11:47 AM
Hopefully we've got some for the singing section next season :thumbsup:

Steve20
13-06-2010, 11:50 AM
I don't think they are that bad to be honest. Used to them now.

Pheona
13-06-2010, 11:59 AM

:top marks

Diclonius
13-06-2010, 12:03 PM
Can't stand the buggers but tbh we're in South Africa, let em blow it. We'd just be authorotarian if we didn't.

On a side note, I hope the SFA bans them outright in this country. :thumbsup:

McKenzie
13-06-2010, 12:16 PM
they do my head in :rolleyes: sooner the better :bye:

Bayern Bru
13-06-2010, 12:24 PM
Vuvuzela - Afrikaans for '****in' annoying trumpet barstewards!'
:greengrin

I've got used to it. I've watched three games in whole and I don't notice it anymore. I do however, notice the frantic slaverings of ITV's "finest" commentating on the games. I'd rather they were banned.

It's a characteristic of football in Africa, and it's a wee bit irritating but I think it adds to the atmosphere, in a strange way. :greengrin

Removed
13-06-2010, 12:26 PM

Are you guys not used to the sound by now? It's now even that bad, it's a South African thing so just let them do it. It'll be over in a month.

Unbelievable :rolleyes:

Its their thing ! Get used to it:grr:

They are hosting the World Cup ! Blowing their trumpets is what they do.

Pathetic.

Let's stop the fans actually at the game from enjoying themselves in a perfectly legal way in order to keep the broadcasters happy.

Everyone applauding this potential decision - remember that when you're stopped with a flag or told to sit down at ER next season.

:agree: with these and especially with Beefster's comment about standing or flags.

Mon the vuvuzelas :thumbsup:

BEEJ
13-06-2010, 12:32 PM
Can't see them being banned and I hope they blow them louder than ever in the next game! Was at one of the fan parks last night and there could only have been about 20 of them there and the noise was unreal, can't wait to here 90,000 all in the same place :thumbsup:
It's apparent that if you are fortunate enough to actually be attending the matches in South Africa then these vuvuzelas are all part and parcel of enjoying the local culture and they don't detract in any way from the match atmosphere.

For the vast majority across the world who are unable to be there and whose experience is limited to watching the tournament on the box, the sound is just a constant, grating din the tone and volume of which seems to bear no relation whatsoever to the action on the field.

Not a fan as a TV viewer; but would love to have the opportunity to experience them first hand if someone was to pay for my flight to SA. :greengrin

Baader
13-06-2010, 03:21 PM
It would be nice to hear the crowd though. Far from contributing to the atmosphere I think they detract from it.

It's not like some ancient tradition or custom - they only picked them up in the 1990s! Great if you are able to like them but to me they sound like a huge swarm of dying bluebottles. Bloody annoying!

Sumner
13-06-2010, 03:24 PM
they're the most entertaining thing about the World Cup so far ... :zzzzz!:

blackpoolhibs
13-06-2010, 03:26 PM
****in noisy *******s are doing my nut right in. :grr: As a side note, these are all new stadiums, stadiums used for the world cup. They dont seem to mind anyone standing, strange that its ok for a world cup, but not an SPL game? :confused:

SidBurns
13-06-2010, 03:28 PM
It's probably been said already (can't be bothered reading all the guff on this thread) but too many trumpets on this thread! If they get close to drowning out all the ****ers commentating on the E**land, infact not just E**land, ALL games then GOOD! If it wasn't for the vuvuzela's you'd be able to hear a pin drop! :agree:

Baader
13-06-2010, 03:32 PM
It's probably been said already (can't be bothered reading all the guff on this thread) but too many trumpets on this thread! If they get close to drowning out all the ****ers commentating on the E**land, infact not just E**land, ALL games then GOOD! If it wasn't for the vuvuzela's you'd be able to hear a pin drop! :agree:

Eh?! I'd have been able to hear the Mexican Mariachi band at their game for a start! Prefer a few notes to just one!

down-the-slope
13-06-2010, 03:43 PM
Has anyone read the article?...I personally hate the things...but this is a guy who is himself a South African (as well as being top bloke on the ground at WC) and is in effect saying they are a new thing and NOT a tradition...and that singing is ....I love the sound of Africans signing and dancing together...that really id atmoshperic and emotional

Jordaan admitted he was not a huge fan of them himself. "I would prefer singing," he said.
"It's always been a great generator of a wonderful atmosphere in stadiums and I would try to encourage them to sing.
"In the days of the struggle (against apartheid) we were singing, all through our history it's our ability to sing that inspired and drove the emotions."

aberhibsfc
13-06-2010, 03:53 PM

I don't mind them, it generates a atmosphere and it is Africa. I'm sure it won't appear at any other WC's.

Viva_Palmeiras
13-06-2010, 04:37 PM
vuvuzela - to fleece.

heretoday
13-06-2010, 04:43 PM
I'd rather they muted the commentators! :thumbsup:

Hear Hear!

I remember there used to be loads of horns sounding off all the time in 60/70s Euro games, especially in Germany and Holland. It made for a different atmosphere from your normal game.

HibbyAndy
13-06-2010, 04:47 PM
I dont actually mind it.

Once you get engrossed in the game you forget all about it.

Its part of the African culture and the WC is in Africa afterall.

I think its cool to see so many Africans singing and dancing on the terraces enjoying therselves, You only live once my friend.

Keith_M
13-06-2010, 07:26 PM
No, they're NOT a traditional South African instrument. They were first introduced to South Africa around twenty years ago and only became widely popular after being handed out free with a sponsor's logo.

The noise level 2 meters in front of one has been measured at 113dB, much higher than the level considered harmful to hearing on a long term basis. They also have the potential of drowning out safety announcements. On that basis, I can't see them ever being allowed in Scotland.

However, if you don't like it, you could always just turn the sound down. I personally can't stand the noise, so have turned off every game I've started watching, but I want to stress that's purely my personal decision. I'm not sure if they should go as far as banning them.

SlickShoes
13-06-2010, 07:39 PM
For me its taking all the fans emotion out of the game from a 'watching on tv' viewpoint.

Usually you can hear songs start up, the roar of going close or a goal, the relief at the end the other noises that populate a game.

A constant drone however is really annoying, other things like bands bagpipes samba drums all have more than one single note.

I still dont think you could ban them its just gash listening to it for 3 games a day, watching the game with the sound off is even worse.

jakki
13-06-2010, 08:08 PM
To me, they are not worse than Livi drums. I can turn down the sound of my tele, but when the Livi drums get going, albeit not so much this season, I can shut all my windows and still hear them. No much conciliation of being so close when Hibs play them.:greengrin