PDA

View Full Version : Media Saturation Coverage of England

Phil D. Rolls
13-06-2010, 09:57 AM
I'm actually starting to feel sorry for the England team, and the genuine football supporters who follow them.

I watched the match last night, completely unbiased of course. What I saw was a rousing contest between two teams. There was a goalkeeping howler which - as a Hibs fan - had me writhing in agony. (OK, after I'd come down off the celing). Most of all, both sets of players really got stuck into the match.

The football pundits gave a fair assessment of the match afterwards, IMO. What was clear was that no-one, apart from Kevin "Mad" Keegan, seemed to have underestimated USA, and they recognised that a point in this match was actually a good result.

Imagine my surprise then when the ITV news which followed devoted half of it's programme to the match, and took a highly sceptical and critical view of England's performance. We treated to the expert analysis of people who do not report on football, or sport at all.

What's grinding my gears is that these people, and the people who listen to them, have no love of football at all. They clearly don't have the depth required to follow a team through its ups and downs, instead they want to be right when the team does well, and right when it does badly.

It's a forlorn hope, but is their any chance the sports people could have a word with their colleagues in mainstream broadcasting and ask them to button it. I love football, but the whole thing is being spoiled by media overkill.

As for that show with James (?) Corden after the news. What can you say, I thought I seen it all but that has to be one of the most vaccuous, stultifying shows I have ever seen.

I'm beginning to appreciate how dementia sufferers feel when they watch telly. I saw what I recognised as people, but I could make no connection between what they were saying and what I was seeing. Katy Perry, at least had the decency to say she knew nothing about football and was just there to promote her single.

God saves us!

Hibbyradge
13-06-2010, 10:05 AM
I'm beginning to appreciate how dementia sufferers feel when they watch telly. I saw what I recognised as people, but I could make no connection between what they were saying and what I was seeing.

Brilliant! :thumbsup:

CropleyWasGod
13-06-2010, 10:13 AM
I have no problem with genuine football supporters, whoever they support. What I can't abide is the biennial bandwagon-jumping of popular media and culture... where suddenly everyone's an expert. I mean... on that execrable show last night, Simon Cowell???

In the case of England supporters themselves, a few years ago I was in Tunisia during the African Nations' Cup. I got talking to a few English guys, who went to tournaments all over the world.... real football guys. I made the point that it must be difficult being an England fan, with all the hooligan history and the consequent assumption that they must be thugs. Their answer? "we don't go to England games".

That's such a shame. A turn off for the real fans. As is this bloody media circus..... the kind that demonises Beckham, Ronaldo and that referee a few years ago. It's got F all to do with real fitba....

And breathe......

Phil D. Rolls
13-06-2010, 10:20 AM
I have no problem with genuine football supporters, whoever they support. What I can't abide is the biennial bandwagon-jumping of popular media and culture... where suddenly everyone's an expert. I mean... on that execrable show last night, Simon Cowell???

In the case of England supporters themselves, a few years ago I was in Tunisia during the African Nations' Cup. I got talking to a few English guys, who went to tournaments all over the world.... real football guys. I made the point that it must be difficult being an England fan, with all the hooligan history and the consequent assumption that they must be thugs. Their answer? "we don't go to England games".

That's such a shame. A turn off for the real fans. As is this bloody media circus..... the kind that demonises Beckham, Ronaldo and that referee a few years ago. It's got F all to do with real fitba....

And breathe......

Can't wait for Bill Turnbull's expert assessment on Breakfast tomorrow.

jdships
13-06-2010, 10:31 AM
Anybody else agree Adrian Childs is a joke as "anchorman" for ITV.
One of the most irritating sports presenters I have had the misfortune to listen to

:rolleyes:

CropleyWasGod
13-06-2010, 10:47 AM
One of the most irritating sports presenters I have had the misfortune to listen to

Showing yer age, JD? :greengrin

I will wait before passing judgement. I have to say that I found his laddish comments about the pain of supporting England quite funny.... we all share that sort of pain...... but I think it might become tiresome.

Bring back Sam Leitch.

jdships
13-06-2010, 02:01 PM
Showing yer age, JD? :greengrin

I will wait before passing judgement. I have to say that I found his laddish comments about the pain of supporting England quite funny.... we all share that sort of pain...... but I think it might become tiresome.

Bring back Sam Leitch.

Thanks for your "kind" comment :greengrin

Remember we have"suffered" this guy on "The One Show" , MOFTD 2" and really does not show a great deal of polish - appears to be more interested in the "burds" he's working with !! ! :wink:
Then again we must remember ITV sports presentation, in general, is like the "amateur hour" compared to BBC's set up

Bayern Bru
13-06-2010, 02:06 PM

And breathe......

:top marksThink a lot of fans are probably tarred with an unwanted brush. Football is gradually becoming more and more sensationalized in the vein of Hollywood celebrities. I remember a while back watching England play Croatia with my mate from Edinburgh and about eight English folk. Everyone was supporting Croatia, mainly for the reasons you outlined, which seems mad; to feel like you can't support your own nation because of all the nonsense that goes along with it.

(((Fergus)))
13-06-2010, 02:38 PM
http://webmedia.newseum.org/newseum-multimedia/dfp/jpg13/lg/NY_NYP.jpg

jgl07
13-06-2010, 02:51 PM

If you think he's annoying try out his replacement on MOTD2 Colin Murray.

Now he is annoying!