PDA

View Full Version : It's good to move out of your comfort zone

Hibbyradge
12-06-2010, 04:36 PM
I've regularly worked in England for the last 25 years and have always get on well with the people I come into contact with south of the border.

My wife and her family are all English, and I care about them, so when I think about it, I don't really have any reason to dislike their National football team. They're not football fans.

So, for a change, I'm going to (try to) support England in the World Cup this year.

(My wife bought me a Brazil cap so I've got that in case I fall back into default chip on shoulder mode!)

So there!

down-the-slope
12-06-2010, 04:46 PM
I've regularly worked in England for the last 25 years and have always get on well with the people I come into contact with south of the border.

My wife and her family are all English, and I care about them, so when I think about it, I don't really have any reason to dislike their National football team. They're not football fans.

So, for a change, I'm going to (try to) support England in the World Cup this year.

(My wife bought me a Brazil cap so I've got that in case I fall back into default chip on shoulder mode!)

So there!

:shocked:NURSE!! theres one got out.....

:wink:

MyJo
12-06-2010, 04:55 PM

So there!

i give you until half time or the eighth mention of 1966...whichever comes first :greengrin

hibsbollah
12-06-2010, 05:09 PM

So there!

I am in exactly the same position as you in terms of family and work etc, but I just can't do it:boo hoo: I'm a hopeless case.

Yanks 1 v ***** 0 please:greengrin.

Golden Bear
12-06-2010, 05:14 PM
I intend to come out of my comfort zone tonight by watching BBC2 - they're showing live coverage of Argentina v Scotland AT RUGBY.

All in all, it seems a better option than listening to the slaverings of the unbiased commentators on the "other game" that is being televised.

:rolleyes:

aberhibsfc
12-06-2010, 05:15 PM
My two brothers are half english, my nephew is half-english.

No harm to them, but I just could never support an English side. They represent England not the UK. They don't represent me.

There's a bit of cross-border family banter, but that's as far as it goes.

TBH, the yanks are annoying me somewhat with their sports of in country world series, then when they attend a true world event they have to call it soccer.

For me, best result would be a draw then for both to get pumped in the rest of the comp.

I'm going to watch out for the usual performers, Brazil, Argentina, Spain etc, but especially IC, mon Bamba get that valuation up son.

phoenixfire
12-06-2010, 05:17 PM

So there!

Dave Im very partial to a bit of smoked bacon but dont feel the need to live in a pig sty or
wallow in unmentionable stuff. Just enjoy your wife and in laws for the good people they are
and forget this affinity to Engurland nonesense:wink::agree::saltireflag:angeldevi:turne vil::devil:

blackpoolhibs
12-06-2010, 05:19 PM
I'm out with a few mates tonight, and we are all watching the game. If England win, i will be happy enough. My £10 treble with the Argies and Koreans will be up, and money always makes me happy.:wink: Although if the USA happen to win, or even score 1st, you can rest assured i will be jumping around like a 5 year old, ripping the pish out of every one of them. :greengrin

lucky
12-06-2010, 05:31 PM
I will be wanting to England to win tonight and get all the way to the semi finals.

Cos it will hurt like hell when they get so close yet so far.

Hainan Hibs
12-06-2010, 05:48 PM
I've got Star Spangled Banner blaring out as I type.

USA USA USA USA USA USA USA

matty_f
12-06-2010, 05:49 PM
My mum's english, making me half-english, and my big sister is english, so for them I'm supporting england.

stokesmessiah
12-06-2010, 05:51 PM
I've got Star Spangled Banner blaring out as I type.

USA USA USA USA USA USA USA

Ditto...ala Jimi Hendrix Woodstock version !

Big Frank
12-06-2010, 05:53 PM
I hope England win the world cup.

NORTHERNHIBBY
12-06-2010, 05:57 PM
I'd like to think I am big enough to say that I don't want England to get beat. To be honest, I think that deep down, ambivalence is the best position to be in. I am ambivalent when Wales or Norn Iron win or lose. Then you get a real to&&er like Will Carling on the tele, or that Clive Tyldsley sort....and then I am not so ambivalent. Two-faced enough to claim ambivalence when England win, but if the USA score first, I will be off this chair as an instinct. A reflex, if you like. An automatic response that comes from deep inside and can't be helped.

mim
12-06-2010, 05:59 PM
My mum's english making me half-english......

Me too. :wink:

........but I hope they get horsed. :greengrin

Aubenas
12-06-2010, 06:25 PM
My Mum was English, and I was in England in 1966.:boo hoo::fuming::hide::paranoid::sick:
I have an Irish passport and some great American relations.
Go USA, go!:greengrin

Father Ted
12-06-2010, 06:56 PM
It's like wanting the team you despise the most because they are your nearest rivals to win.

Have a word!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Removed
12-06-2010, 07:05 PM
My wife is English and she hates the bassas as well which is why she moved here.

We don't talk about it any more.

Cmon USA - still time

TornadoHibby
12-06-2010, 07:33 PM
Ditto...ala Jimi Hendrix Woodstock version !

That's a cracker for sure but try the Joe Satriani (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1NY1sKcMHY)version on Youtube! :wink:

You won't be disappointed! :cool2:

JohnScott
12-06-2010, 07:50 PM

(My wife bought me a Brazil cap so I've got that in case I fall back into default chip on shoulder mode!)So there!

Get a grip man! I've lived in England since 1991.

My English wife, her Mum, her family..........I love them.
My English (mixture of Derbyshire and South Yorkshire) work collegues? Couldn't wish for a better bunch of guys and gals to work beside.
Chesterfield and Peak District? Outside of Scotland, no better place to live.

BUT support England's football team? Get a grip of yourself man!
It's got nothing to do with nationality. It's purely football. The garbage you hear about the game in Scotland down here is unbelievable! It could be worse, they could ignore it completely but they choose to take the piss. So why would I support them? :greengrin

marinello59
12-06-2010, 08:31 PM
My mum's english, making me half-english, and my big sister is english, so for them I'm supporting england.

My Dad's English and my wee sister is English so for them I'll wish them well. I won't actually be supporting them though my wee lad is.

Father Ted
12-06-2010, 08:46 PM
Would you want the Jambos, Huns or Gypsies to win if they were in a big game? Nah I thought not so whats the diffence?

AFKA5814_Hibs
12-06-2010, 09:06 PM
Would you want the Jambos, Huns or Gypsies to win if they were in a big game? Nah I thought not so whats the diffence?

:agree: My dad's a jambo, my boss is a jambo, but I want them to win f€ck all. :greengrin

ChrissyG1875
12-06-2010, 09:22 PM
To me, this is like saying who I'd like to win in a OF derby. Hate them both.

Hibbyradge
13-06-2010, 10:02 AM
It's like wanting the team you despise the most because they are your nearest rivals to win.

Have a word!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When Rangers and Celtic play in Europe, I usually want them to win, although I can derive much pleasure from their frequent humiliations too.

I used to want Hearts to win in Europe too, but that was a long time ago and they are our direct, and increasingly bitter, rivals.

England are only Scotland's rivals in the same way as Man United are Hibs rivals. We never play against them, they are miles ahead of us in ability and potential, and when we play someone else, their supporters want us to win.

The Republic of Ireland Ireland are much closer rivals to Scotland, but I usually want them to do well. We're actually closer to Wales and Northern Ireland in the FIFA world rakings than we are to England, so the idea that they're our competitors is a fallacy.

For what it's worth, last night, I didn't cheer Gerrard's goal, but equally, I wasn't off the sofa when USA equalised.

Phil D. Rolls
13-06-2010, 10:06 AM
I tried, I really did. I'm not going to cop out and blame commentators, or celebrity pundits - I am just a racist:boo hoo:.

blackpoolhibs
13-06-2010, 10:33 AM
Last night was superb, i was off my seat when the americans scored, and so were a few other scotts that were watching. I just couldnt help myself. :greengrin I also have the star spangled banner as my ringtone now. :wink:

PC Stamp
13-06-2010, 10:36 AM

My paternal grandfather was English. I hope they get right royally rogered!! :thumbsup:

greenlex
13-06-2010, 11:05 AM
I tried Dave.
Didnt cheer Gerards goal but lambasted the American defence for sleeping.
I surprisingly didnt cheer the American goal but did have an ear to ear grin before empathising with Green. Didnt listen to the after post match drivel so as not to put myself through all the usual pish. I believe they played incredibly well according to them but not what I saw I'm afraid. I dont think I need to worry about an England World Cup final victory this year. Shame really.:fibber:
Oh aye........mon the vuvuzelas!!!!:blowing

Phil MaGlass
13-06-2010, 11:55 AM
When the ball trundled into the net for the equaliser I nearly went through the roof and wet myself laughing at the same time, couldnt have happened to a better bunch of over rated over paid wanqers, and commentators.I thought I would be quite mellow about the game, although it was engrrrland, but when the ball went in I founf masel jumpin about the living room.

JohnScott
13-06-2010, 12:08 PM
England are only Scotland's rivals in the same way as Man United are Hibs rivals. We never play against them, they are miles ahead of us in ability and potential, and when we play someone else, their supporters want us to win.

If I didn't know better I'd think you were English! "Ability and potential" for what?
Being better than they think? That's the main reason I want them to fail. Call it a chip on my shoulder if you want but **** them! Still they talk of Algeria and Slovenia being too easy for them!

Oh I'm always hearing that pish too: "But we always support Scotland!" Utter crap! :bitchy: In fact I could remind them and you of "Are you Scotland in disguise?"

Dashing Bob S
13-06-2010, 12:40 PM
I think possibly, as a one-off romantic Slovenian-style adventure, but it seems now set up to develop non-traditional footballing countries with a big population of tv subscribers and consumers. Football playing on masse isn't in the national culture any more, so it makes it hard for a small nation of six million to produce a squad of gifted players. If you have decent administration like the Dutch you can buck the trend, but when you look at the reflected glory Masonic monkeys who run our game at every level - forget it.

For these reasons we're sadly finished as a football power and reduced to the odd feast of crumbs from the rich mans table in the qualifiers. My only consolation in all this dull new footballing order is that England, on a population basis and despite their arrogance and assumptions of superiority, probably easily edge us out as the biggest set of underachieving losers on the planet.

Phil D. Rolls
13-06-2010, 12:40 PM
If I didn't know better I'd think you were English! "Ability and potential" for what?
Being better than they think? That's the main reason I want them to fail. Call it a chip on my shoulder if you want but **** them! Still they talk of Algeria and Slovenia being too easy for them!

Oh I'm always hearing that pish too: "But we always support Scotland!" Utter crap! :bitchy: In fact I could remind them and you of "Are you Scotland in disguise?"

To be fair, the people who talk that way no ***** all about football. I think the likes of Adrian Chiles is more representative of genuine fans south of the border.

The ones who do all the bumming themselves up, are the first ones to walk when things get tough.

England are in a different league from Scotland at the moment, it's been a while since we qualified for a tournament, and we never make it past the group stages when we do. That's not all about England being great though, we have to really work out why we've been so crap for so long.

basehibby
13-06-2010, 02:34 PM
I too lived in England for a long time and have plenty very good friends who hail from there. If England were to win the WC I would be genuinely happy for them, but does that mean I'll be actively supporting them??? Does it Chocolate!

I was enthusiastically shouting for the USA last night and heartilly laughing my socks off when the Zibi-esque English keeper chucked the ball in the net. And you know what? It didn't take the slightest bit of effort because my sentiments were totally genuine - even though I had England down for a 2-1 win in my local pub's predictor competition, I couldn't have genuinely supported them if I'd tried - it just goes against the grain and I could no more support them than I could the Jambos.

So SCREW THEM and screw the pathetic would be glory hunters Hansen and Lawrenson - I would be delighted for my English friends in the unlikely event that they win the competition, but would take even greater personal pleasure in witnessing the English media's misreable pusses tripping them if and when their massive bubble's burst once again.