PDA

View Full Version : 66 and all that

MacTheRat
12-06-2010, 12:47 PM
How long in to the coverage on ITV1 before it gets mentioned again?

I'm going for 10 minutes, not the game but the preamble.:grr:

stu in nottingham
12-06-2010, 12:58 PM
I'll go for 1.5 seconds.

Lofarl
12-06-2010, 01:04 PM
The amount if time it takes to say the word 66. So about 0.003 seconds

MacTheRat
12-06-2010, 01:23 PM
"By a remarkable coincidence the year 2010 contains 1 digit in common with 1966", ......Lineker to Hansen

Jim44
12-06-2010, 01:34 PM
Don't worry, they'll get their come-uppence. I'm praying for a nightmare for them. I'm also fed up with English aquaintences asking why do you hate England? We support Scotland in internationals. Nonsense. What they mean is 'you are so insignificant we don't give a toss about Scottish football'. I've told this one before, in fact quite recently, but it's so unbelievable that I'm repeating it. A friend ( ironically English, but one of the more rational type) phoned a company in Bristol to order a machine part. He spoke to the sales manager of this firm who sounded quite an intelligent guy. He asked what the cost of shipping the part would be. The guy asked where he was phoning from and when he said 'Scotland', the guy queried in all seriousness and without a hint of winding up or sarcasm, 'Where's that?'. :bitchy:

Woody1985
12-06-2010, 01:46 PM
Why did we need to have 15 minutes of stuff about England during the break at the France game last night? I, as a football fan, would liked to have seen some stuff about how Uruguay made it to the finals or some player profiles etc rather than listen to that *****.

This is the reason lots of Scottish people don't support England, we can't be arsed with the constant drivel. I simply don't support them because I have no reason to i.e. I'm Scottish.

Moulin Yarns
12-06-2010, 02:10 PM
Don't worry, they'll get their come-uppence. I'm praying for a nightmare for them. I'm also fed up with English aquaintences asking why do you hate England? We support Scotland in internationals. Nonsense. What they mean is 'you are so insignificant we don't give a toss about Scottish football'. I've told this one before, in fact quite recently, but it's so unbelievable that I'm repeating it. A friend ( ironically English, but one of the more rational type) phoned a company in Bristol to order a machine part. He spoke to the sales manager of this firm who sounded quite an intelligent guy. He asked what the cost of shipping the part would be. The guy asked where he was phoning from and when he said 'Scotland', the guy queried in all seriousness and without a hint of winding up or sarcasm, 'Where's that?'. :bitchy:

In a similar vein, I bought something recently from a company in Warrington. thier website clearly stated free next day delivery to mainland UK. A week later I get an email asking for£9.50 postage as their courier were charging that to deliver to Perthshire. I phoned up to query their interpretation of mainland UK, and the man said it was their courier, not them. I paid up.

It arrived by ROYAL MAIL who charge the same anywhere in the UK from Orkney to Lands End, and what was I buying, a GPS unit!! you know, maps and that!!!

HIBERNIAN-0762
12-06-2010, 02:24 PM
If Motson is commentating you can bet your life it will be 30 seconds maximum, he has long replaced Jimmy Hill (he's a poof) as the number one hate figure of the Scots, an arrogant obnoxious cretin of a man, biased to his last breath, can someone with good PC skills make up a photo of him with an obscenity on it?, cheers!

:wink:

Joe's ice cream
12-06-2010, 02:56 PM
It takes about as long as someone to start a pointless thread like this!!!!:grr::grr:

Jim44
12-06-2010, 04:01 PM
It takes about as long as someone to start a pointless thread like this!!!!:grr::grr:

Who rattled your cage, Uncle Tom? :greengrin

Judas Iscariot
12-06-2010, 04:13 PM
http://users.jyu.fi/~mweber/blog/images/Murphy_s_Irish_Stout.jpg

judas
12-06-2010, 04:26 PM
How long in to the coverage on BBC1 before it gets mentioned again?

I'm going for 10 minutes, not the game but the preamble.:grr:

That's right. It's not like our press would be talking about it all the time if we had won in '66. After all it's only the World Cup.

Change the record eh.

judas
12-06-2010, 04:29 PM

I agree.

This is definetly one of those empty threads.

judas
12-06-2010, 04:35 PM
Don't worry, they'll get their come-uppence. I'm praying for a nightmare for them. Why? I'm also fed up with English aquaintences asking why do you hate England? Seems a rational question to me. Why the hate? We support Scotland in internationals. Some of them do Nonsense. What they mean is 'you are so insignificant we don't give a toss about Scottish football' Why should they? They're English. I've told this one before, in fact quite recently, but it's so unbelievable that I'm repeating it. A friend ( ironically English, but one of the more rational type) One of the more rational types - like you then? phoned a company in Bristol to order a machine part. He spoke to the sales manager of this firm who sounded quite an intelligent guy. He asked what the cost of shipping the part would be. The guy asked where he was phoning from and when he said 'Scotland', the guy queried in all seriousness and without a hint of winding up or sarcasm, 'Where's that?'. Oh my god. Hell freeze over that's just terrible. :bitchy:

Above.

Hibeebob
12-06-2010, 04:39 PM
Today 02:46 PMWoody1985
Why did we need to have 15 minutes of stuff about England during the break at the France game last night?

think it's cause it's English tv coverage?

Don't think BBC scotland is covering the wc, so unfortunately we have to put up with English coverage, English presenters, English producers etc.

Can't really blame them for doing a feature on thier own team.

grunt
12-06-2010, 04:46 PM
...their website clearly stated free next day delivery to mainland UK. A week later I get an email asking for£9.50 postage as their courier were charging that to deliver to Perthshire. I phoned up to query their interpretation of mainland UK, and the man said it was their courier, not them. I paid up.
I'd go back to them and get a refund. If their website says free delivery, they should stand by it, courier or no. Don't put up with crap like that from shops; they were in the wrong.

marinello59
12-06-2010, 04:50 PM
The amount if time it takes to say the word 66. So about 0.003 seconds

I think it will take about half that time for somebody to post on here afterwards complaining about it. Never has a nation been better prepared to express outrage at the most innocuous of remarks than us Scots. Come on Lineker, Scotland expects. :greengrin

MyJo
12-06-2010, 04:53 PM
They will have some form of video montage of the england team before the programme even starts that will include some reference or footage of 1966 :agree:

marinello59
12-06-2010, 04:56 PM
They will have some form of video montage of the england team before the programme even starts that will include some reference or footage of 1966 :agree:

I hope not, that would be despicable.:grr: At least we can console ourselves with knowing that if Scotland had ever won it we would celebrate for a couple of days then NEVER mention it again. (Especially during the build up to a World Cup finals match) :agree:

MacTheRat
12-06-2010, 05:01 PM
I agree.

This is definetly one of those empty threads.

Well, why respond or even read the initial post?......definitely:confused:

Biggie
12-06-2010, 05:02 PM

even better, the world cup final of '66 is on ESPN Classic at the mo'

Jim44
12-06-2010, 05:17 PM

Exactly. But then I suppose some folks just have to make guys like me see the errors of my petty and parrochial attitude. :greengrin Waste of time, tho'. I'll never relax my contempt for the English media and punditry. :take that Ironically, I've got a grudging admiration for the actual English team but that's the best I can do.

stokesmessiah
12-06-2010, 06:27 PM
Why did we need to have 15 minutes of stuff about England during the break at the France game last night? I, as a football fan, would liked to have seen some stuff about how Uruguay made it to the finals or some player profiles etc rather than listen to that *****.

This is the reason lots of Scottish people don't support England, we can't be arsed with the constant drivel. I simply don't support them because I have no reason to i.e. I'm Scottish.

Hear Hear.....:top marks

MyJo
12-06-2010, 06:31 PM
8 seconds after kick off :hilarious

judas
12-06-2010, 06:43 PM

Why nought? What's rong wif that?

judas
12-06-2010, 06:46 PM
Exactly. But then I suppose some folks just have to make guys like me see the errors of my petty and parrochial attitude. :greengrin Waste of time, tho'. I'll never relax my contempt for the English media and punditry. :take that Ironically, I've got a grudging admiration for the actual English team but that's the best I can do.

At least you're honest.

Better watch MacTheRat is digging folk up for, erm, spelling mistakes.

Hibeebob
12-06-2010, 06:53 PM
Ok who had 20 min 43secs?

Jim44
12-06-2010, 07:01 PM
At least you're honest.

....says it all really. :wink:

Ryan91
12-06-2010, 07:21 PM
No surprises on the ITV coverage, as soon as the match gets underway, they make reference to 1966, and by the time the 1st minute is up they label England as 'contenders' and as being able to go 'all the way'. Considering the fashion in which they conceded, I'd say their chances are slim of getting past the quarter-finals, where for the sheer irony of it all, they'll eliminated on Penalties, again.

JE89
12-06-2010, 07:28 PM
Why do people complain about the amount of English coverage on an English tv channel? What else do you expect?

CallumHibs07
12-06-2010, 07:36 PM
It took 66 seconds :agree:

Ryan91
12-06-2010, 07:41 PM
Why do people complain about the amount of English coverage on an English tv channel? What else do you expect?

Of course we expect the coverage to be biased toward England, but what we don't expect is the number of times 1966 is brought up, it was 44 years ago, and that was their first and last final to date. What we also don't expect is for them to discuss England when other teams are playing and to give as little coverage to the teams playing at half time as possible, save for a few highlights, it's borderline ridiculous to be perfectly honest

Hibeebob
12-06-2010, 07:45 PM
That's what I said halfway up the thread.

If it were BBC scotland and we were there I'd expect a feature on our team as much as possible.

American tv will prob have a feature on them, german tv will talk about germany and so on.

MacTheRat
12-06-2010, 07:46 PM
At least you're honest.

No actually, YOU are.:bye:

Silversand
12-06-2010, 08:09 PM
That's what I said halfway up the thread.

If it were BBC scotland and we were there I'd expect a feature on our team as much as possible.

American tv will prob have a feature on them, german tv will talk about germany and so on.

Do you think the English had to put up with constant Scotland team news in 1978? Don't think so.

Do you think the English viewers heard anything about the Scotland squad in 1998? Don't think so.

CropleyWasGod
12-06-2010, 08:11 PM
Do you think the English had to put up with constant Scotland team news in 1978? Don't think so.

I know they did.

Gus
12-06-2010, 08:23 PM
Let it go ffs........ANYONE TEAM is there countries would be the same FACT

Hibeebob
12-06-2010, 08:28 PM

Do you think the English viewers heard anything about the Scotland squad

no because presumably they had there own coverage. We don't.

Ye get me?

Gus
12-06-2010, 08:30 PM
sod the 66 talk......why is there a SCOTTISH presenter on skysports while the England game is on, out of order :grr:

:devil::wink:

marinello59
12-06-2010, 08:40 PM

Do you think the English viewers heard anything about the Scotland squad in 1998? Don't think so.

Given that we were the only British representatives they got loads of Scotland coverage. If you want to study a text book case of delusional over confidence the build up by Scotland to that World Cup should suffice. We are more like England when it comes to football than many here could ever admit.

CropleyWasGod
12-06-2010, 08:43 PM
Given that we were the only British representatives they got loads of Scotland coverage. If you want to study a text book case of delusional over confidence the build up by Scotland to that World Cup should suffice. We are more like England when it comes to football than many here could ever admit.

Agreed.

We also got the same blanket coverage in 74

CropleyWasGod
12-06-2010, 08:47 PM
no because presumably they had there own coverage. We don't.

Ye get me?

In those days it was all the same, all based in London. But it WAS all about Scotland.

Until we went home... :greengrin

Hibeebob
12-06-2010, 08:49 PM
Yeah but in 98 they had their own coverage no?

CropleyWasGod
12-06-2010, 08:53 PM
Yeah but in 98 they had their own coverage no?

Don't get your point.

In 98 we both qualified. We both had our own coverage of our own teams.

In 74 and 78 only Scotland qualified. BBC and ITV did it from London, and it was all about Scotland.

Hibeebob
12-06-2010, 09:06 PM
Just saying we are watching English coverage by English tv.

If they were forced to watch BBC Scotland would they not have to watch Scottish biased coverage?

I agree in 98 we both qualified, so they didn't need to watch links about us.

I think we are both saying the same thing no?

CropleyWasGod
12-06-2010, 09:09 PM
Just saying we are watching English coverage by English tv.

If they were forced to watch BBC Scotland would they not have to watch Scottish biased coverage?

We are watching the BBC and ITV, who have a duty to cover British involvement. Which they do. Which they did in 74 and 78, heavily biased towards Scotland, and which was the same throughout Britain.

Hibeebob
12-06-2010, 09:14 PM
So we agree then:confused:

CropleyWasGod
12-06-2010, 09:15 PM
So we agree then:confused:

Fuctifano :greengrin

Hibeebob
12-06-2010, 09:17 PM
Yeah I think we do… I think :greengrin

JE89
12-06-2010, 10:07 PM
Of course we expect the coverage to be biased toward England, but what we don't expect is the number of times 1966 is brought up, it was 44 years ago, and that was their first and last final to date. What we also don't expect is for them to discuss England when other teams are playing and to give as little coverage to the teams playing at half time as possible, save for a few highlights, it's borderline ridiculous to be perfectly honest

Yes and Scotland have t shirts out that say '67 cause we won ONE GAME against England in 1967. Have you ever heard of a Hibs fan talking about 1.1.73 cause we won ONE GAME. That was over 35 years ago and we still go on and on about it and we didn't even with a trophy. If Scotland had won the World Cup, we would go on and on and on about. It'd be what I want to hear as it is what England fans (understandably) want to hear.

I'm sure if you were to watch Uruguayan television they'd be same.

lyonhibs
13-06-2010, 09:07 AM
Guys, honestly, watch the World Cup and shut the **** up :greengrin

I wouldn't worry about it, if Butter Fingers Green keeps the jersey they'll be papped out by the quarter finals latest, and therefore we can enjoy the business end of the tournament safe in the knowledge that "1966 and all that" is all they've got (which, for a nation of their size, is ridiculous)

jgl07
14-06-2010, 11:18 PM
One thing I noticed about the 1966 World Cup Finals was that a certain Eduard Malofeyev was the seventh top scorer with three goals.

Phil D. Rolls
15-06-2010, 09:29 AM
We are watching the BBC and ITV, who have a duty to cover British involvement. Which they do. Which they did in 74 and 78, heavily biased towards Scotland, and which was the same throughout Britain.

I think they have a duty to balance their coverage to meet everyone in Britain's tastes though. I've no problem with them showing James Corden doing a fans rally - I know where the off button is.

I do wish though, that if they are presenting something under the banner of "Sport" they could be a bit more impartial in what they show. I am interested in news from the English camp, but I would also like to know what is happening elsewhere.

I am not an England supporter, I am interested in the competition as a whole. Information about injuries and arguments at other teams, would help me in my quest to work out how the competition would progress.

One of the reason the UK has broken up is that the majority English did not pay enough attention to the sensitivities of the other countries. Personally, I think the answer is to scrap the pretence of UK wide broadcasting.