PDA

View Full Version : The magic of the World Cup, forever lost?

Captain Trips
10-06-2010, 11:00 PM
My first memory is of the 82 WC I enjoyed that as I did 86. As much as I enjoy the coverage that world football gets now along with Europe, I feel the mystique has long gone from the finals now.

Maybe up until the 94 WC you would have that big element of not really ever seeing some of the players before, who will the new Brazil player be thats amazing or Argentinian? Thats a big element I miss.

Seeing the the likes of Zico, Socrates, Hugo Sanchez, Butragueno, Maradona and the rest for really the first time at the finals only for them to dissapear until the next World Cup when you would be remembering them all from last time. Zico for my generation is that iconic world cup player, how much did you look forward to seeing him? to think most of us saw him play a handful of games but he stuck in our minds. Getting your world cup sticker book and not having heard of 90% of the players but wondering what this Eder was like or who is Socrates. Wondering who is Vasily Rats or Didier Six and is that Rummenigge guy any good

Now we can probaly name almost every squad and have seen what most of the players can do, the mystique now is that player whom steps up or wasnt as pish as we thought.

I miss those times

erin-go-bragh87
10-06-2010, 11:05 PM
Im younger but get what you mean. On the other hand though you get to see all of the players from all the different leagues we watch come together and we can get a real comparison of them playing together on one stage!!

hibsway
10-06-2010, 11:12 PM
first memory was argentina 78 and the everyone ripping bits of paper up and throwing them into the air while shouting agentina :thumbsup:looking forward to this years but cant wait for 2014 when scotland win it

Mixu62
11-06-2010, 12:34 AM
first memory was argentina 78 and the everyone ripping bits of paper up and throwing them into the air while shouting agentina :thumbsup:looking forward to this years but cant wait for 2014 when scotland win it

I'll have whatever he's having!!

It's not really the same since we no longer qualify. Plus the champs league teams getting richer, coupled with econmic meltdown in South America means there are no more unknowns from Argentina or Brazil. They're all playing for AC Milan or Barcelona etc.

Musselbound
11-06-2010, 12:34 AM
I think it's partly an age thing as the magic and the novelty wears off. My favourite WC memories are also from 78 and 82 - the first two tournaments I remember. But I think there is something to be said for the fact that very little live football on TV used to make the WC more special.

HUTCHYHIBBY
11-06-2010, 05:27 AM
78 had the best World Cup theme tune too!

CallumLaidlaw
11-06-2010, 06:30 AM
I have to admit I view it differently. I am more excited about this years than the last 2 world cups.
There are still plenty teams in this we dont know much about. Theres always shock results, and new names that you dont expect coming to the fore.

Yes tho, the best tournament I can remember is 1998, and it is certainly because Scotland were there.

Phil MaGlass
11-06-2010, 07:24 AM
Mibbe the older you get the more of a shine is taken off the world cup? Im only peeved that Scotland are not there, I dont have alot of interest in the WC but will be watchin.Theres always something at the world cup that you remember, Archie Gemmills goal, Van Bastens goal/s.Roger Miller,the boy with the ginger beard etc.etc...

Peevemor
11-06-2010, 07:53 AM
I agree with the OP.

During my formative years, football on the tv consisted of:

The football bits (about 45 minutes) on World of Sport and Grandstand.

BBC highlights on a Saturday night and STV on a Sunday afternoon. This was reversed each year, with each programme showing highlights of 1 Scottish league game (ie. old firm + whoever they were playing) and 1 English match.

National cup finals (with the Scottish Cup final live on both channels).

Some Scotland games live, but most remained highlights only.

European cup finals.

And that's it!

So when the WC or European championships came round (with fewer teams/matches) you were gagging for it and hardly missed a match.

It doesn't have the same allure for me these days.

Pedantic_Hibee
11-06-2010, 07:57 AM
Conversely, I think this WC could be one of the best yet.

I've been watching them religiously since WC 1990 and for me, 1994 was the best as it was a complete spectacle. It was a World Cup staged in a country that hadn't really embraced football yet they put on one hell of a show.

Likewise, with it being in Africa this year for the first time, I can see this one being pretty, pretty special.

I've waited four years for this and as soon as it finishes, I'll be counting down the days until the next one.

Spike Mandela
11-06-2010, 04:42 PM
78 had the best World Cup theme tune too!

I thought that too:greengrin...............sounds a bit cheesy now:devil:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfS_UYal5mw

--------
11-06-2010, 04:45 PM
The first World Cup I watched was the 1966 one.

That sickened me right off. :rolleyes:

sixtwo
11-06-2010, 05:06 PM
first world cup i was old enough to appreciate was 86. I loved it. maradonna became a massive hero of mine.

I still get the same buzz now as i did when i was a kid. I took the afternoon off work to see it start and to watch the first game. The only thing that was better in the past was collecting the panini stickers or the coins to put in the collection album.

basehibby
11-06-2010, 05:10 PM
I thought that too:greengrin...............sounds a bit cheesy now:devil:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfS_UYal5mw

:top marksFelt the years drop away there to when I was a wide eyed boy anticipating Scotland's debut at Argentina 78 - it was a wonderful tournament (even if disappointing for Scotland) and I'll never forget the imense ticker tape/flying bog roll opennings to any game Argentina was involved in.
The OP's right in that the over exposure football gets these days takes away a bit of the impact, but it's still the greatest show on earth for me, and the fact it's the first ever finals in Africa makes it a bit special. You could sense the general excitement in the coverage of the opening game and I'm looking forward to the rest of the tourney big style :thumbsup:

PatHead
11-06-2010, 05:11 PM
My first memories are of the 1970 World Cup. If that Brazil team couldn't send you down the park from dawn 'til dusk nothing would ! Favourite was 1982 as I went.

Wull
11-06-2010, 05:19 PM
Surley the gut wrenching anticipation of the superstars we are gonna sign this window overshadows anythin the world cup can muster up. No:wink:

Ow aye, "Goan yursels Bafana!"

Mibbes Aye
11-06-2010, 05:38 PM
My first memory is of the 82 WC I enjoyed that as I did 86. As much as I enjoy the coverage that world football gets now along with Europe, I feel the mystique has long gone from the finals now.

Maybe up until the 94 WC you would have that big element of not really ever seeing some of the players before, who will the new Brazil player be thats amazing or Argentinian? Thats a big element I miss.

Seeing the the likes of Zico, Socrates, Hugo Sanchez, Butragueno, Maradona and the rest for really the first time at the finals only for them to dissapear until the next World Cup when you would be remembering them all from last time. Zico for my generation is that iconic world cup player, how much did you look forward to seeing him? to think most of us saw him play a handful of games but he stuck in our minds. Getting your world cup sticker book and not having heard of 90% of the players but wondering what this Eder was like or who is Socrates. Wondering who is Vasily Rats or Didier Six and is that Rummenigge guy any good

Now we can probaly name almost every squad and have seen what most of the players can do, the mystique now is that player whom steps up or wasnt as pish as we thought.

I miss those times

Good post Carlsberg. Agree with Peevemor too. A lot of the World Cup mystique and 'excitement of the new' has been lost with the advent of year-round global television coverage.

It's a double-edged sword though. We were never able to see the likes of Butragueno week in,week out in La Liga but are lucky enough to be able to see the likes of Messi time and time again and that's got to be a good thing.

For me a real loss was not seeing Van Basten frequently. IIRC Serie A coverage only started over here at the tailend of his Milan career and there wasn't the comprehensive ECL coverage there is now. Would have been fantastic to see his goals week in, week out.

Think the loss of mystique probably also reflects the ageing process :greengrin. Back in '82 we would no doubt be straight down the park the next day, scoring rakers and giving it "...Taaaaardelliiiiiiiiiiiii!!!!" :greengrin

Pretty Boy
11-06-2010, 05:54 PM
I know we see all the players week in week out these days but i still love the World Cup. It's not just the football for me but the whole spectacle. Watching ordinary local people become the centre of the worlds attention for a month, the opening cermony, official songs etc etc.

I vaguely remember the 1990 World Cup but the first one i really remember was USA 94. I was 8 at the time and on holiday in Portugal when it started and remeber watching the Ireland games in a pub with about 500 mad Irishmen and going absolutely mental when they beat Italy in their opener. For all the Americans weren't really into football at the time they made sure they put on one hell of a spectacle.

France 98 was my personal favourite though. Obviosuly Scotland being there was a bonus but the whole tournament was superb. The French team that year wre brilliant. Djorkaeff, Henry, Thuram, Blanc, Zidane, Petit, Dugarry, Bathez etc etc. The Brazi team was also special apart from the final obviously. The swansong of Bebeto, Rivaldo and Ronaldo and the performances of Denilson which tempted Real Betis to pay £18M for him and he barely tried a leg in 4 years for them. The golden goal added an exciting edge to extra time that year and most games had some incident of note, not least 'nice guy' Slaven Bilic cheating Laurent Blanc out of a final appearance.

I enjoyed 2002 and although 2006 was overall pretty disappointing Argentinas 24 pass goal made it worth remebering.

Oh and France 98 had by far and away the coolest(if overplayed) World Cup song ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PX_tGWyt_g

houston1875
11-06-2010, 06:26 PM
Tv overkill has ruined WC fir me,years ago we hardly got
footy on the telly,now it's on almost every night?

Sumner
11-06-2010, 06:48 PM
Nah, for kids today it's just as big as it was in our day

vein
11-06-2010, 10:12 PM
Tv overkill has ruined WC fir me,years ago we hardly got
footy on the telly,now it's on almost every night?

I'd agree with that. There are far too many games on the telly these days and a bit of the magic of looking forward to a match on TV has been lost because of this.

I'll only really get up for a game on TV if its involving Hibs or Scotland now.

Sadly its all about the money nowadays!

Still looking forward to England getting pumped out on penalties though :wink:

Pete
11-06-2010, 11:00 PM
Brian Clough: "You don't want roast beef and Yorkshire every night and twice on Sunday."

The 2002 and 2006 world cups have just blended into the one for me. I know who won them and who the semi-fanalists were but I can't remember them off the top of my head.

I think a lot of it's to do with players being more club orientated in the naughties. We're so familiar with most of the good players in the world cup because of the coverage of the champions league, la liga and the premiership.

It's like a side show where these Man U, Arsenal, Real and Barca players dress up for a pantomime performance.
They might care but I'll bet they don't care as much as they did in the past. The multi-million pound salaries paid by the clubs sure as hell softens the blows whenever they are put out.

marinello59
11-06-2010, 11:04 PM
I still get excited at every World Cup. My only regret is the absence of Esso World Cup Coins.:boo hoo:

Steve-O
11-06-2010, 11:09 PM
I miss Georghe Hagi :agree:

Greentinted
11-06-2010, 11:27 PM
I miss Georghe Hagi :agree:

:agree: and Hristo Stoichkov and Mario Kempes and Socrates and Rumminege and wee Archie and Rossi and Schillachi and Tardelli and, and, and...

And yes, since 2002 it's no been the same.

MWHIBBIES
12-06-2010, 12:10 AM
Yeh i agree with the op.

Euro 2004 was my first big international football event and was soooooo exited in the build up and ever though i was this year i know most players like anelka klose and van bommel that i did'nt know then and was realy looking forward to seeing for first time.

Still lets home its an amazing world cup and one that we will all never forget.

Audio Visual
12-06-2010, 01:12 AM

I miss those times

I've been a member here for many years and despite having occupied more of an interested observer position rather than an active participant, I feel compelled (by the drink perhaps) to post on this subject. Carlsberg, you are exactly my age and I could not agree more: the magic may not have gone but it is assuredly on the wane. As soon as I read your post I immediately thought of Josimar's goal against Northern Ireland in '86 or the wonder of Paulo Rossi in '82. I only hope the next generation find another unlikely hero in this World Cup to try and emulate in the playground....

La Machine Vert
12-06-2010, 04:29 AM
Depending on how old you are and what your past experiences & future espectations are, then this or any other WC might seem inept...

More teams means more TV money etc and therefore more income for all but the over all spectacle will probably never rival the earlier versions of the WC with less teams and more "perceived" excitement. Ah, those were the days!

Having said that, I really hope that this WC has some real upsets, genuine excitement and hopefully a player (or two) with a Hibs connection will make some kind of impact.

So, 7-0 to the The Ivory Coast in the final - I'll get my coat...

I'm_cabbaged
12-06-2010, 05:17 AM

I miss those times

:top marks

Watching the game last night ma laddie could name 80% of the french team and who they played for, my first memory was 78 and even Ally McLeod didnae ken the players there.:greengrin

Oh, and the ripped up paper reminds me of standing on the wall at the telly stand and sways. :thumbsup:

Storar
12-06-2010, 09:32 AM
This thread to me just looks like a bunch of old men longing for their youth:wink: Maybe the magic is lost for you forever but for younger people and for future generations it will still be there. The World Cup is just as good, if not better than ever but as you get older the novelty will wear off. The younger generations will be loving the more recent ones just as much as you all loved 78, 82, 86 etc and no doubt in 30 years they'll all be saying how the World Cup doesn't compare to the glory day of 2006 etc. I for one definitely do. I wasn't here for Kempes, Van Basten and Zico so really couldn't care less about them. For me the likes of Klinsman, Ronaldo, Rivaldo and Del Piero are the ones to remember and for the 10 year old kids now, Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo, Kaka and Torres will be the ones to remember.
Also can't wait for Scotland at 2014!

(((Fergus)))
12-06-2010, 10:06 AM
I still get excited at every World Cup. My only regret is the absence of Esso World Cup Coins.:boo hoo:

Ooh now you're talking :agree:

Phil D. Rolls
12-06-2010, 10:10 AM
I think the thing that spoils it for me these days is that it isn't just about football anymore. Watch any programme on the telly, and the WC is a theme. You are bombarded with football themed adverts for everything.

Football wise though, I know that we will see some amazing teams in this competition, some fantastic goals, and will fall in love with players we have never heard of before. Despite global coverage, only an anorak will know everyone who is taking part.

CallumLaidlaw
12-06-2010, 10:43 AM
I think the thing that spoils it for me these days is that it isn't just about football anymore. Watch any programme on the telly, and the WC is a theme. You are bombarded with football themed adverts for everything.

Football wise though, I know that we will see some amazing teams in this competition, some fantastic goals, and will fall in love with players we have never heard of before. Despite global coverage, only an anorak will know everyone who is taking part.

:agree: Who (honestly) knew much about Siphiwe Tshabalala or the South African keeper, Khune, before the game yesterday, and they were both brilliant!!

Storar
12-06-2010, 10:54 AM
:agree: Who (honestly) knew much about Siphiwe Tshabalala or the South African keeper, Khune, before the game yesterday, and they were both brilliant!!

Me:greengrin

Baw187
12-06-2010, 10:55 AM
This thread to me just looks like a bunch of old men longing for their youth:wink: Maybe the magic is lost for you forever but for younger people and for future generations it will still be there. The World Cup is just as good, if not better than ever but as you get older the novelty will wear off. The younger generations will be loving the more recent ones just as much as you all loved 78, 82, 86 etc and no doubt in 30 years they'll all be saying how the World Cup doesn't compare to the glory day of 2006 etc. I for one definitely do. I wasn't here for Kempes, Van Basten and Zico so really couldn't care less about them. For me the likes of Klinsman, Ronaldo, Rivaldo and Del Piero are the ones to remember and for the 10 year old kids now, Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo, Kaka and Torres will be the ones to remember.
Also can't wait for Scotland at 2014!

:top marks

I was emersed in Italia 90 and really enjoyed 94 and 98 cause they all took place between the age of 10 and 18 for me so that was my childhood. Yeah 2002 and 2006 don't carry the same memories but that's probably more to do with recalling my youth and things I got up to that made the world new and exciting. I still enjoyed those tournements, albeit I don't have as many memories associated to them other than trying to nash off from work early to watch good games (which is a harsh relatiy of life as an adult!)! Hardly the same as being able to watch every minute, discussing games with mates or going on holiday and watching them in foriegn places with the lads.

It's all relative and as Storar says, this generation of youth will recall these tournements just as much as I do the ones in the 90s.

Got **** all (or very little) to do with how many games are on the telly now IMHO.It's defo nowhere near as much of a factor than some grump old men think!:greengrin

MacTheRat
12-06-2010, 11:01 AM
I remember Chile in '62, not that there was much coverage in those days.

Best, 1970 will always stand out for me as the best Brazil side of all time and as for Jairzhino, well what is there left to be said?.

Seanair
12-06-2010, 11:11 AM
Have to agree that the excitement has gone a bit* (partly of course because Scotland are not there), but also because of the over-exposure of football generally.
Players from all countries play in other countries, and coaches coach where they can command money. Everyone knows everyone else and surprise surprise all the teams play the same type of football where the object is not to lose the ball, and scoring is a bonus ( a few geniuses excepted). I'll watch SOME games (Argentina ,Spain, where individuals might get a chance to shine), but I'll not be glued to the screen.

* It's not just football. Olympics are now too big, with always the taint of drugs because of the huge amounts of money at stake. Even cricket has sold its soul to the money men, with "test matches" all the year round (see football for players and coaches being interchangeable).:grr: