PDA

View Full Version : Greggs Non-league striker on trial

LancashireHibby
10-06-2010, 11:13 AM
Here. (http://www.nonleaguedaily.com/news/index.php?&newsmode=FULL&nid=67520)

Not a bad level to be honest, might seem low down the pyramid but there's been the odd gem (my non-league side play in the Northern division)

aberhibsfc
10-06-2010, 11:21 AM
I don't understand why we would be looking at a non-league striker when we have Stokes and Riordan. And if sadly we were to lose them, I would be expecting us to aim a bit higher than that.

Unless he is young untapped Ronaldo or such like.

IWasThere2016
10-06-2010, 11:22 AM
I don't understand why we would be looking at a non-league striker when we have Stokes and Riordan. And if sadly we were to lose them, I would be expecting us to aim a bit higher than that.

He might have pace :wink:

12AlbionPlace
10-06-2010, 11:22 AM
Was Ian Wright not playing non-league when Crystal Palace signed him.

Maybe a bit over optimistic:greengrin

LancashireHibby
10-06-2010, 11:23 AM

You do tend to get the odd lad who slips through the net who is an absolute gem - worth taking a look at in training, at least. Presumably, they wouldn't have been scouted if they didn't have any potential to work with.

Allant1981
10-06-2010, 11:23 AM
He might have pace :wink:

and be tall:thumbsup:

Stevie Reid
10-06-2010, 11:29 AM

There are numerous examples of success stories in the past, Wright being one of them. Matt Derbyshire was signed from non league by Graeme Souness and Chris Smalling who Man Utd have just paid a fortune to sign from Fulham, was non league very recently.

Dougie Arnott was a cracking player for Motherwell, and he was signed from the Juniors I believe.

dangermouse
10-06-2010, 11:39 AM
According to that article he's not on trial at all.

M11BMO
10-06-2010, 11:43 AM
There's always a few undiscovered gems hidden in lower leagues... worth a wee look I suppose...?

Franck is God
10-06-2010, 11:58 AM
Sproule was an amateur player before he signed for us and he wasn't a bad signing so there are players out there.

This article however only says that this player had a phone call from someone who suggested that a Hibs scout was watching the game and he may get a trial, truly one of the worst rumours so far.

I heard that we were looking at Benzema of Real Madrid, he feels that a lack of first team football lost him his place in France's world cup squad and following the success of Sol Bamba at ER he feels that the Leith San Siro was the place to get his international career back on track and is happy to take Deeks in a square go to be first choice up front with Colin Nish!

RickyS
10-06-2010, 12:07 PM

falkirk signed a boy from down there last season, Jack Compton. he was released by West Brom and was lauded as a fantastic talent, but from what ive seen he was out of his depth up here. here's hoping he is of the gem variety!

just read the story, no indication he is on trial?

LancsHibs
10-06-2010, 12:23 PM
The Unibond One South League!!! I think this is the 8th level of English football in the pyramid if im correct!!! So about our Division 1 standard then, maybe worth a punt:greengrin
But seriously I don't believe we are looking at a player from Kidsgrove nor should we be:bitchy:
The article sounds like nonsense, basically the player is saying he's had a phone call from somebody who said he represented Hibs............................................ what a load of ****

ionahibby
10-06-2010, 03:03 PM
Lower league players , Clayton Donaldson enough said!

Edinburgh Green
10-06-2010, 03:09 PM
Charlie Austin at swindon, was bought from a non league club I believe, he has a cracking season.

frazeHFC
10-06-2010, 03:40 PM
At least there would be little expectation or pressure, lower league players seem to raise their game......as above, Austin's had a great season.

NORTHERNHIBBY
10-06-2010, 03:47 PM
Charlie Austin at swindon, was bought from a non league club I believe, he has a cracking season.

But for the dodgy Wemberley turf he could have had an absolutely superb season.:grr::grr:

Dunkin' Donut
10-06-2010, 08:35 PM
jermaine baeckford is another example of a non league player making a big impression. 38 goals at any level cant be that bad.

seanraff07
10-06-2010, 09:02 PM
Lower league players , Clayton Donaldson enough said!

Even if he's half as good as Donaldson he'll be a class act.:wink:

Posh Swanny
11-06-2010, 10:07 AM
Steve Morison, Michael Kightly, Jermaine Beckford, George Boyd, Craig Mackaill-Smith, Aaron McLean, Charlie Austin... there's plenty of talent down there but they're normally "known" and being sought after by plenty of clubs. Though that was the case with Clayton to be fair, and he was gash! LOL!

Richard Brodie at York is the next obvious candidate to make the step up, but he doesn't look to have the class for Championship/SPL football IMO. Andrew Bond (midfielder) at Barrow would be a better bet.

mim
11-06-2010, 10:16 PM

Chelsea signed Peter Osgood from a Sunday Amateur team and he went on to score more than 100
goals for them.

It's not as common these days for such talented players in non-league football to be overlooked by
the many scouts going about, but there will still be some out there that are worth a look.

One of the best players I ever played with never got a chance at the pro game, yet his younger
brother, who was good but not as good as the older brother, was signed by Hearts.

ionahibby
12-06-2010, 08:16 AM
I wonder if hibs actually put scouts out to lower league teams in scotland eg junior level,east of scotland etc?

jdships
12-06-2010, 08:27 AM
I wonder if hibs actually put scouts out to lower league teams in scotland eg junior level,east of scotland etc?

In a word "yes"
Was talking to one at a "Spartans" match a few weeks ago

NAE NOOKIE
12-06-2010, 08:37 AM
No harm in looking everywhere for players. But it has to be said that the last gem we discovered in the lower Scottish Leagues was Gordon Durie and that was a good long while ago sadly.

Clayton Donaldson perhaps proved that the step up to SPL from English non league is a step too far. At least as far as becoming a first team player after a few weeks at the club is concerned.

Even a club like Herats who can afford to scour the earth for international talent have managed to sign some totally gash players. Which shows how tough it is out there for wee clubs like us.

:greengrin

MacBean
14-06-2010, 12:41 PM
in today's BBC gossip column. Dave Bond is our reported interest

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/8737448.stm

brog
14-06-2010, 12:49 PM
No harm in looking everywhere for players. But it has to be said that the last gem we discovered in the lower Scottish Leagues was Gordon Durie and that was a good long while ago sadly.

Clayton Donaldson perhaps proved that the step up to SPL from English non league is a step too far. At least as far as becoming a first team player after a few weeks at the club is concerned.

Even a club like Herats who can afford to scour the earth for international talent have managed to sign some totally gash players. Which shows how tough it is out there for wee clubs like us.

:greengrin

Donaldson scored a fair few goals for Crewe last season, particularly towards the end of season & I saw him quoted as £500,000 valuation. Hibs may not have recently signed good quality lower league players but it doesn't mean they're not there. Gomis, Conway & Swanson at Arabs came from Cowdenbeath, Ayr & Berwick respectively. I'm sure most Hibs fans would like to see any of these guys at ER. PS, did Nish not start at Alloa?

Posh Swanny
14-06-2010, 01:08 PM
in today's BBC gossip column. Dave Bond is our reported interest

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/8737448.stm

You think they'd verify the results churned out by their weekly run of the Hibs.net search-bot eh?! LOL!