PDA

View Full Version : Burton O'Brien

Hibi
10-06-2010, 07:18 AM
The Scotsman reporting this morning that we are in talks with him

Phil MaGlass
10-06-2010, 07:26 AM
read another story where Hughes says "We have been working very hard seeking to ensure we bring the right types to the club, players who will enhance the squad we already have, guys of the quality we feel the supporters deserve."
sorry, but another Falkirk player who has played sixty games, scored 1 goal and was part of the team that got relegated, doesnt do it for me. From all the supposed trips he has made to the continent and england making dossiers on players is this the best he can do?:confused:
Jings the seasons no even started and its not been confirmed and Im already having a weeee pop. Thought I would mellow closed season?:greengrin

Aubenas
10-06-2010, 07:28 AM
Name change needed!
How about Half Maglass?????
:wink::agree::greengrin

Hibi
10-06-2010, 07:31 AM

hibbymark
10-06-2010, 07:32 AM
Hope not. For me he fits into the not any better than we have box. Please tell me Yogi has a scout anywhere in the country other than falkirk? We have to look to improve every year and i just cant see what this boy would bring to the party.

Phil MaGlass
10-06-2010, 07:32 AM
:greengrin

Sandy
10-06-2010, 07:45 AM

probably just nicked from .net to be honest :agree:

IWasThere2016
10-06-2010, 07:49 AM
read another story where Hughes says "We have been working very hard seeking to ensure we bring the right types to the club, players who will enhance the squad we already have, guys of the quality we feel the supporters deserve."
sorry, but another Falkirk player who has played sixty games, scored 1 goal and was part of the team that got relegated, doesnt do it for me. From all the supposed trips he has made to the continent and england making dossiers on players is this the best he can do?:confused:
Jings the seasons no even started and its not been confirmed and Im already having a weeee pop. Thought I would mellow closed season?:greengrin

You'll no be alone P. Even the happier fans will be scratchin their heids at this one! :bitchy:

Beefster
10-06-2010, 07:51 AM
If we sign O'Brien, can someone list the remaining players who played under Hughes at Falkirk?

I fancy getting a flavour of our team for 2011/12.

Andy74
10-06-2010, 08:05 AM
We need all sorts of players, as well as the right back and more physical presence.

If we came to having to play Lewis Stevenson or Burton O'Brien i'd take O'Brien thanks.

He can certainly play a bit and not everyone needs to be a bruiser!

khib70
10-06-2010, 08:07 AM
If we sign O'Brien, can someone list the remaining players who played under Hughes at Falkirk?

I fancy getting a flavour of our team for 2011/12.
:agree::greengrin

I gather the programme sellers and tealady at Falkirk are free agents. Worth a punt?

Seriously - i can't believe we have two threads about this non-trying imposter. I sincerely hope he's not the limit of our ambition.

Toaods
10-06-2010, 08:08 AM
the prospect of signing Burton O'Brien 7 years ago would have got me excited but not now.

Ritchie
10-06-2010, 08:10 AM
We need all sorts of players, as well as the right back and more physical presence.

If we came to having to play Lewis Stevenson or Burton O'Brien i'd take O'Brien thanks.

:confused:

he was absolutley mince for the team who got relegated from the SPL last season...

it will be a terrible signing for hibs.... yogi = clueless!

essexhibee
10-06-2010, 08:15 AM
WTF is yogi playing at!!!! The guy is pash!! Here is me thinking we will be getting some exciting signings that would prove useful to the team, and along comes this numpty. :grr::grr:

Im starting to worry a tad about Yogi's signing ability now.:rolleyes:

Ritchie
10-06-2010, 08:17 AM
WTF is yogi playing at!!!! The guy is pash!! Here is me thinking we will be getting some exciting signings that would prove useful to the team, and along comes this numpty. :grr::grr:

Im starting to worry a tad about Yogi's overall ability now.:rolleyes:

fixed that for you......:devil:

khib70
10-06-2010, 08:20 AM

God help us if the criteria for new signings is that they're better than Lewis Stevenson:grr:

At least we'll have a huge range to choose from:rolleyes:

Golden Bear
10-06-2010, 08:25 AM
Burton's style of play may not be tailored to meet our present needs.

erskine-hibby
10-06-2010, 08:37 AM

Seems to me that if Yogi signed a turd with legs you'd support him.

Ritchie
10-06-2010, 09:05 AM
according to his wiki page, he's signed a 2 year deal with us!! :grr::boo hoo:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burton_O'Brien

JimBHibees
10-06-2010, 09:11 AM
Seems a bit of a hysterical reaction to this personally think anyone that can pass the ball and keep possession well would improve our team and O'Brien certainly can. He would fit well into a midfield of Miller, McBride adn Wotherspoon IMO. No doubt he has quality and would be better suited to Hibs than Falkirk however seem to remember he is a bit injury prone.

Hibs90
10-06-2010, 09:12 AM
Not good enough to wear the famous green and white. :agree:

Andy74

Doubt that.

I'm expecting a lot better signings than this but sometimes if there are guys available for cheap enough that just fills a decent squad role then fair enough.

Hughes signings have been good so far and he's showed with Miller and Stokes that he knows the quality we need.

At the end of the day he knows a lot more about these players than we do and what overall he wants from the team and so like McBride signing I''d wait and see how he fitted in to this particular team.

Some of the comments yet again about Hughes ability just because we are linked with certain players is quite pathetic. Last year is done, you all had your maon at the end of it, let's let him get a team on the park before suggesting that someone who has worked in football most of his days hasn't got a clue from our office desks.

Golden Bear
according to his wiki page, he's signed a 2 year deal with us!! :grr::boo hoo:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burton_O'Brien

So he signed for us in June 2009 ------ I wonder where he was last season then?!

offshorehibby
10-06-2010, 09:13 AM
As usual a news paper says we are in talks with a player and it is now gospel. The journalist's source is probably reading pish on Hibs.net

IWasThere2016
10-06-2010, 09:14 AM

I think one leg would be enough :wink: :greengrin

RIP
10-06-2010, 09:18 AM

think you heard it wrong mate

Apparently the story was "Hearts are going for a Burton!"

Ritchie
10-06-2010, 09:25 AM
So he signed for us in June 2009 ------ I wonder where he was last season then?!

i noticed that aswell... he was the brian kerr of last season. :wink:

Stevie Reid
10-06-2010, 09:33 AM
Seems a bit of a hysterical reaction to this personally think anyone that can pass the ball and keep possession well would improve our team and O'Brien certainly can. He would fit well into a midfield of Miller, McBride adn Wotherspoon IMO. No doubt he has quality and would be better suited to Hibs than Falkirk however seem to remember he is a bit injury prone.

Doubt that.

I'm expecting a lot better signings than this but sometimes if there are guys available for cheap enough that just fills a decent squad role then fair enough.

Hughes signings have been good so far and he's showed with Miller and Stokes that he knows the quality we need.

At the end of the day he knows a lot more about these players than we do and what overall he wants from the team and so like McBride signing I''d wait and see how he fitted in to this particular team.

Some of the comments yet again about Hughes ability just because we are linked with certain players is quite pathetic. Last year is done, you all had your maon at the end of it, let's let him get a team on the park before suggesting that someone who has worked in football most of his days hasn't got a clue from our office desks.

Thank God for some sensible input. I am also not too enamoured by the prospect of O'Brien signing for us but the reaction on here from some is pathetic - can some of you not at least wait to see if he signs, then to see if he plays, then to see if he performs well before sharpening the knifes? If this is the reaction Yogi gets to a signing that seems imminent, I'd hate to see the reaction should we lose our first game of the season.

I know that this has been mentioned lots of times already but last year the Falkirk fans told us that McBride was a gutless imposter who was one of the worst players they had ever seen, but anyone who understands football could see the excellent job he did in our midfield up until his injury kept him out the side. He also played through picking up several heavy knocks in games as well as continuing for as long as possible with the ankle injury which eventually forced him out, so he is far from gutless, quite the opposite actually.

I also remember Gary Smith seeming a particularly uninspiring signing at a time when Sauzee and Latapy had not long come in, and we were picking up the likes of Zitelli, Agathe, O'Neil and Laursen - he went on to be a great servant to Hibs. If O'Brien signs, it is far from impossible that he could turn out to become a key player for Hibs, or at least a useful fringe player.

Falkirk under Yogi were reknowned for their ball retention, but crucially lacked a cutting edge - we had no lack of goals last season, but latterly we put ourselves under constant pressure by giving away possession cheaply - if Yogi believes O'Brien can complement the players that we already have and make our squad stronger, I'm happy to go along with it and see what happens. Shouldn't be that difficult really, we are Hibs supporters after all.

down the slope
10-06-2010, 09:41 AM
I think this a cheap signing which in no way adds anything to our squad, i thought we might increase the class of player we were after but it seems we are going in the opposite direction.

erskine-hibby
10-06-2010, 09:43 AM
Doubt that.

Yeah I know what your saying and I apologuise for my last comment, but I really think that we could, and should, be looking for a better calibre of player than that. I cannot see that this signing will in any way improve our squad. In that respect I do doubt Yogis ability to find the quality we need, as you think he does. Time will tell I suppose.

LancsHibs
10-06-2010, 09:53 AM
I am not inspired by this signing (if true), not really heard of him to be truthful! Another Falkirk player who has not caught my attention and nobody else seems keen on signing:confused:
However, I was the same last season when we signed McBride and he did OK, but then again another Creggesque signing??
All I know our hapless neighbours have signed Barr, Kyle and are keen on Griffiths, non of these are world beaters, but i would swap any for O'Brien!

SalfordHibs
10-06-2010, 09:56 AM
Doubt that.

Some of us who made those comments openly admitted we got it wrong, would you be one of them to have admitted the same if we didn't get europe :greengrin

If this signing does come true it's not exactly the player the fans all wanted to see as per Hughes's quote in the paper.

Riordans Boots
10-06-2010, 10:03 AM
[/B]

Some of us who made those comments openly admitted we got it wrong, would you been one of them to have admitted the same if we didn't get europe :greengrin

If this signing does come true it's not exactly the player the fans all wanted to see as per Hughes's quote in the paper.

http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Hibs-attempting-to-lure-O39Brien.6352455.jp

Ronaldo9
10-06-2010, 10:12 AM
Absolute F'in joke of a signing! If this is the height of our pulling power we are royaly screwed and will be in a relegation dogfight next season!

We'd be better signing Tim Burton!!

If you continually fill your team with players who have played for relegation material that is what you will eventually become!

:grr::grr::grr::grr::grr::grr:

SalfordHibs
10-06-2010, 10:33 AM
http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Hibs-attempting-to-lure-O39Brien.6352455.jp

Just says in talks mate not offically signed.

NORTHERNHIBBY
10-06-2010, 10:41 AM
I can't believe that this story has some truth in it. The only reason he will get a game is because he is an ex- Falikirk player and we really need to be be getting away from that now. If we had signed that 'keeper at the start of the season and maybe managed to get Barr and Arfield, we would have had mainstays of a team that Hughes could only take to second last by a whisker and went down last season under May/Pressley. We need defenders and full backs. Not more of the old pals act.

basehibby
10-06-2010, 10:41 AM
:grr::grr::grr:

What a pathetic reaction from some on this thread - I'll admit that I don't have in depth knowledge about O'Brien's ability - what I DO remember is a thread this time last year when he signed for Falkirk COMPLAINING THAT HE WASN'T SIGNING FOR HIBS!!!

It's also notable that there was a similar outcry from self appointed experts when McBride was signed last year - aye! the same McBride that went on to play a pivotal role in our midfield for most of last season.

These posters need to wake up from their Championship Manager inspired dreamworlds and realise that not every signing Hibs make is going to be a Marquee style headline buster.

Phil MaGlass
10-06-2010, 10:52 AM
If O'Brien signs, it is far from impossible that he could turn out to become a key player for Hibs, or at least a useful fringe player.

is it really fringe players were looking for?
We need physical players with a fitba brain,weve went the skilful players who tackle like girls way already aswell and doesnt work.

As for pathetic reaction to some of the posts, sorry dont agree with you there Falkirk fans dont even rate him,so why is he suddenly Hibs material.

SalfordHibs
10-06-2010, 10:55 AM
This is happening people, he has offers from English clubs but he is keen on a move to Hibs :wink:

Dunbar Hibee
10-06-2010, 10:55 AM
Should be signing better players than Burton O'Brien imo.

JimBHibees
10-06-2010, 10:57 AM
Thank God for some sensible input. I am also not too enamoured by the prospect of O'Brien signing for us but the reaction on here from some is pathetic - can some of you not at least wait to see if he signs, then to see if he plays, then to see if he performs well before sharpening the knifes? If this is the reaction Yogi gets to a signing that seems imminent, I'd hate to see the reaction should we lose our first game of the season.

I know that this has been mentioned lots of times already but last year the Falkirk fans told us that McBride was a gutless imposter who was one of the worst players they had ever seen, but anyone who understands football could see the excellent job he did in our midfield up until his injury kept him out the side. He also played through picking up several heavy knocks in games as well as continuing for as long as possible with the ankle injury which eventually forced him out, so he is far from gutless, quite the opposite actually.

I also remember Gary Smith seeming a particularly uninspiring signing at a time when Sauzee and Latapy had not long come in, and we were picking up the likes of Zitelli, Agathe, O'Neil and Laursen - he went on to be a great servant to Hibs. If O'Brien signs, it is far from impossible that he could turn out to become a key player for Hibs, or at least a useful fringe player.

Falkirk under Yogi were reknowned for their ball retention, but crucially lacked a cutting edge - we had no lack of goals last season, but latterly we put ourselves under constant pressure by giving away possession cheaply - if Yogi believes O'Brien can complement the players that we already have and make our squad stronger, I'm happy to go along with it and see what happens. Shouldn't be that difficult really, we are Hibs supporters after all.

Completely agree. Give the guy and the manager a chance to bring in who he wants. I think the comparison with McBride is valid.

Booked4Being-Ugly
10-06-2010, 10:59 AM
O'Brien is in Thailand just now but i can confirm that Hibs have indeed been in touch with his agent.

JimBHibees
10-06-2010, 11:02 AM
We need physical players with a fitba brain,weve went the skilful players who tackle like girls way already aswell and doesnt work.

As for pathetic reaction to some of the posts, sorry dont agree with you there Falkirk fans dont even rate him,so why is he suddenly Hibs material.

Some Falkirk fans thought McBride was the worst player on the planet. I dont think anyone is saying O'Brien would be the only signing however him allied to 3 or 4 players in positions we are desperately needing strenghtening would represent a reasonable return IMO.

He is a better passer of the ball than Rankin and would improve our ability to keep the ball better.

SalfordHibs
10-06-2010, 11:03 AM
O'Brien is in Thailand just now but i can confirm that Hibs have indeed been in touch with his agent.

2yr deal on the table and O'Brien is going to sign it once he is back, i am led to beleive he is going on the left to free Riordan for up front.

Aubenas
10-06-2010, 11:08 AM
Not more of the old pals act.

So let me get this straight:

Hughes' job tenure depends on him being successful for Hibs

This success depends on him signing the right players

He's got experience as a coach and a professional footballer

He's also fiercely ambitious

And he's a Hibs' supporter

So, when it comes to signing players he says: Ah stuff it, I'll just sign me old muckers.

Really? :hmmm:

Peevemor
10-06-2010, 11:14 AM
2yr deal on the table and O'Brien is going to sign it once he is back, i am led to beleive he is going on the left to free Riordan for up front.

Is this the same Riordan that you told us last week was definitely being sold?

hibsbollah
10-06-2010, 11:17 AM
Burton does a lot of unseen work. Very much like Brian Kerr in that respect:agree:

Stevie Reid
10-06-2010, 11:19 AM

I'm not saying he's suddenly Hibs material - I said in my post that I'm not exactly thrilled at the prospect of signing him myself - I'm merely pointing out that it's far from impossible that he could turn out to be a good signing, if he signs. He's 28 and should be hitting his peak over the next 2 years.

I also addressed the Falkirk fans' opinions on him with my McBride comparison. If an English team were to sign McBride from us tomorrow and some of their supporters came and checked out this board to see some opinions on him, it would seem that plenty do not rate him - however, I would consider it to be a far from realistic gauge of the standing with which he is held by many Hibs supporters.

Plus, football supporters are notoriously fickle, many have little good to say about staff leaving their club - especially when they've just been relegated. Many Falkirk fans stated last season that they were glad to see the back of Yogi, and judging by that thread many are still sticking to that outlook - yet they were relegated without him and we finished in our highest league position in four years with him.

As for your question regarding fringe players - whilst I would rather every signing was on the same marquee level as Stokes and Miller, we are Hibs and that cannot be the case. Danny Galbraith was a fringe player last year, but his limited contributions were significant, especially at Celtic Park. O'Brien may be someone who can come on in the last 15-20 mins of games where we hold a narrow lead and retain possession for us, time will tell - if he signs.

If we increase the quality of the first eleven and surrounding squad then we are going in the right direction. Yogi has stated that he knows what we need and admittedly O'Brien does not fit the criteria that he outlined recently - but that doesn't mean he cannot be a useful player for us.

ionahibby
10-06-2010, 11:25 AM
Wiling to reserve judgement until iv'e seen him play in the flesh. I think we should give the guy a chance if this story is true?

Allant1981
10-06-2010, 11:34 AM

i thought he played on the right hand side although i might be thinking of the other ex livi player that left at the same time.

SalfordHibs
10-06-2010, 11:35 AM
Is this the same Riordan that you told us last week was definitely being sold?

Nice try mate i said i was told he would be going in this window, maybe O'Brien is the replacement for Deeks leaving i.e. playing on the wing :wink:

Geo_1875
10-06-2010, 11:36 AM
I can't believe the pish that is being put out about this. We're supposedly interested in a player in his late 20's who was rated highly by an EPL side and later had a successful spell with a Championship side. He then returned to Scotland and played in the lower end of the SPL. Does that make him a world beater? I think not. But read Burton O'Brien = Kevin Kyle. The same a'holes would work themselves into a frenzy if we'd signed him.

Peevemor
10-06-2010, 11:38 AM

Nice try mate i said i was told he would be going in this window, maybe O'Brien is the replacement for Deeks leaving i.e. playing on the wing :wink:

It looks like you're told lots of things. :confused:

Sandy
10-06-2010, 11:43 AM

Come on then which one is it :I'm waiti

aberhibsfc
10-06-2010, 11:44 AM
:agree:
I am not inspired by this signing (if true), not really heard of him to be truthful! Another Falkirk player who has not caught my attention and nobody else seems keen on signing:confused:
However, I was the same last season when we signed McBride and he did OK, but then again another Creggesque signing??
All I know our hapless neighbours have signed Barr, Kyle and are keen on Griffiths, non of these are world beaters, but i would swap any for O'Brien!

:agree:

Franck is God
10-06-2010, 11:47 AM
This isn't a potential signing that is thrilling but there is no doubt that he is a talented left sided midfielder. He may not have completely fulfilled his early potential but at 28/29 he's hardly finished either.

Last year when Yogi arrived if I could have hand picked players from the Falkirk squad his name would have been near the top of my list. He is excellent on the ball and if he has better players around him I'm sure he would do a better job than the likes of Rankin or Stevenson and is a more natural midfielder than Riordan for the left side of a midfield four.

SalfordHibs
10-06-2010, 11:51 AM

The O'Brien signing i know is fact, the Riordan one was told to me by someone else i hope that clears it up for you.

BEEJ
10-06-2010, 12:04 PM
This isn't a potential signing that is thrilling but there is no doubt that he is a talented left sided midfielder. He may not have completely fulfilled his early potential but at 28/29 he's hardly finished either.
:agree: It's not going to be a signing (if confirmed) that sends folk in their thousands to purchase season tickets.

But it's early days. O'Brien may be prepared to come for a reasonable wage and therefore would enhance the squad as a key fringe player at moderate cost. Perhaps its opportunistic on Yogi's part? Others may have to leave to make room for O'Brien in the squad and there may be departures to come. In that respect I would be slightly concerned for the youngsters like Welsh and Currie if this turns out to be true.

If O'Brien is the first new face to be announced it doesn't necessarily set the tone for the other new players arriving this summer. Hopefully, there will be key signings to follow that will get the blood stirring.

RickyS
10-06-2010, 12:05 PM
i thought he played on the right hand side although i might be thinking of the other ex livi player that left at the same time.

think your thinking of David McNamee, who went to Blackburn and Livi with O,Brien but I think has had to retire through injury?

Spike Mandela
10-06-2010, 12:06 PM
Very unimaginative signing if true. McBride was ok but very limited in his play IMO and I was hoping he might have been the type of stop gap player that Yogi would be relegating to the bench once our new signings were in.

Now people are hoping BOB works out like McBride, not very exciting really is it.:bitchy:

SalfordHibs
10-06-2010, 12:08 PM
think your thinking of David McNamee, who went to Blackburn and Livi with O,Brien but I think has had to retire through injury?

That's exactly who it was mate, both were at St Mirren then left to go to Blackburn.

Allant1981
10-06-2010, 12:11 PM

ah, thats the guy yip

M11BMO
10-06-2010, 12:19 PM
At first the alarm bells immediately ring at the thought of O'Brien, another Falkirk player signing.

Then at second thoughts... McBride springs to mind. Maybe O'Brien can be better than expected. Perhaps mix well with better players around him. :confused:

Before anyone mentions it, Yes... I'm clutching at straws!

SalfordHibs
10-06-2010, 12:27 PM
At first the alarm bells immediately ring at the thought of O'Brien, another Falkirk player signing.

Then at second thoughts... McBride springs to mind. Maybe O'Brien can be better than expected. Perhaps mix well with better players around him. :confused:

Before anyone mentions it, Yes... I'm clutching at straws!

Was a good player at St Mirren, even when he left Livingston to Sheffield Wednesday he was playing well, dont know how he featured at Falkirk but as you say with better players arround him might be the answer, plenty of pace.

Stevie Reid
10-06-2010, 12:39 PM
Very unimaginative signing if true. McBride was ok but very limited in his play IMO and I was hoping he might have been the type of stop gap player that Yogi would be relegating to the bench once our new signings were in.

Now people are hoping BOB works out like McBride, not very exciting really is it.:bitchy:

That's the nature of the role McBride plays though - positional awareness and discipline, winning and retaining possession, and getting the ball to our more creative outlets is McBride's job. Neil Lennon was limited but it didn't stop him being an incredibly effective player who was transferred for big money, won a stack of medals and played at the highest level of club football on a regular basis. Similarly Claude Makalele has scored 3 goals in the last 10 years, and you don't see Javier Mascherano getting ahead of the forwards for Liverpool - it's not exciting, but it's their role. Liverpool paid £18.6 million for Mascherano.

Guys like Lennon et al's biggest skill was to make the game look simple, by filling the right spaces when necessary, and not bombing forward to support attacks. Alex Ferguson said in his autobiography that he took the very unpopular decision to sell Paul Ince because he disobeyed direct orders given to him in the 1995 FA Cup Final against Everton, by bombing forward, losing possession and then making no attempt to regain it, resulting in the winning goal being scored by Paul Rideout. It proved to Fergie that despite all Ince's undoubted ability, his lack of positional discpline would ultimately harm the team.

basehibby
10-06-2010, 12:46 PM

It's very early doors yet - 2 and a half MONTHS left until the transfer window slams shut. As I posted earlier - not all Hibs signings are going to be spectacular headline makers - WE ARE NOT Man City FFS!!!

I'm sounding like I think the sun shines out of BOB's erse here by the way. The truth is I don't know that much about him, but I can't help reacting to the instinctively negative way in which many are condemning this transfer rumour when it seems most know as much as me about the player - ie the square root of sod all!

Spike Mandela
10-06-2010, 01:02 PM
It's very early doors yet - 2 and a half MONTHS left until the transfer window slams shut. As I posted earlier - not all Hibs signings are going to be spectacular headline makers - WE ARE NOT Man City FFS!!!

I'm sounding like I think the sun shines out of BOB's erse here by the way. The truth is I don't know that much about him, but I can't help reacting to the instinctively negative way in which many are condemning this transfer rumour when it seems most know as much as me about the player - ie the square root of sod all!

To be fair bh I think a fair few people on here are only to familiar with BOB as a player hence the disappointment in this as a potential signing.

If we resigned AOB some folk would be on here giving it "give the boy a chance FFS" etc etc.

Still, we may be pleasently surprised with other signings.

Woody1985
10-06-2010, 01:20 PM
The O'Brien signing i know is fact, the Riordan one was told to me by someone else i hope that clears it up for you.

So we have O'Brien signing as fact...

I'm still confused as to what the other fact is, that Riordan is being sold or he's being pushed up front for O'Brien on the wing.

So was one of them speculation on your part about Riordan or were you told both?!

SalfordHibs
10-06-2010, 01:24 PM
So we have O'Brien signing as fact...

I'm still confused as to what the other fact is, that Riordan is being sold or he's being pushed up front for O'Brien on the wing.

So was one of them speculation on your part about Riordan or were you told both?!

O'Brien is happening you dont have to beleive me if you dont want to mate, The Riordan issue was told to me by someone else that he was leaving in this window, not from me :greengrin

Tricla
10-06-2010, 01:32 PM
Doubt that.

:top marks

Correct. Some people on here make the site a bore at times. If O'Brien does sign he'll get my full backing and there is no reson why he can't be a success along with most of Yogi's other signings.

Stevie Reid
10-06-2010, 01:44 PM
To be fair bh I think a fair few people on here are only to familiar with BOB as a player hence the disappointment in this as a potential signing.

If we resigned AOB some folk would be on here giving it "give the boy a chance FFS" etc etc.

Alan O'Brien is a great example of a signing that went the other way - Sproule sold to make way for him, we shelled out a decent amount of cash for someone who was supposed to be just as fast, could cross a ball and had a big future ahead of him, having already been capped several times and Newcastle wishing him to extend his stay. Unfortunately his signing could only be described as a dismal failure despite all the signs pointing to him being a resounding success.

And for what it's worth, whilst I gave him my full support whilst he wore a Hibs jersey, I will be absolutely amazed if Burton O'Brien could possibly turn out to be as gutless as, and less committed than, AOB.

Hainan Hibs
10-06-2010, 01:50 PM
I'd be willing to give him a chance in the green and white but in my pessimistic mind it seems this

http://myhatertots.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/panic-button.jpg

has been pushed far too early at ER.

Stevie Reid
10-06-2010, 02:04 PM
I'd be willing to give him a chance in the green and white but in my pessimistic mind it seems this

http://myhatertots.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/panic-button.jpg

has been pushed far too early at ER.

How can someone be a panic signing a matter of days after the transfer window has opened (and hasn't even signed yet).

Yogi said patience will be required and even explained why he was happy to go on holiday at the end of the season in the EN yesterday. Hardly sounds like a panic to me.

NORTHERNHIBBY
10-06-2010, 02:23 PM
:grr::grr::grr:

What a pathetic reaction from some on this thread - I'll admit that I don't have in depth knowledge about O'Brien's ability - what I DO remember is a thread this time last year when he signed for Falkirk COMPLAINING THAT HE WASN'T SIGNING FOR HIBS!!!

It's also notable that there was a similar outcry from self appointed experts when McBride was signed last year - aye! the same McBride that went on to play a pivotal role in our midfield for most of last season.

These posters need to wake up from their Championship Manager inspired dreamworlds and realise that not every signing Hibs make is going to be a Marquee style headline buster.

See where you have admitted that you don't have in depth knowledge of O'Briens ability? I will match that by admitting that I have never owned nor played Championship Manager. I will also admit to having a few Falkirk supporting mates who were absolutely determined to see, that none of the cash that they got for Arfield should go to giving B O'B a new contract. That and the postings on One F in Falkirk kinda suggest that they are not overly sorry to see him leave and these boys have seen him play. McBride was different altogether. His MOM against der hun in the Cup Final showed he is a player. When he left there was a more than a hint of sour grapes, but I don't sense that this time.

basehibby
10-06-2010, 02:28 PM

Really??? Are there many Livingston/Falkirk/Sheffield fans on here? The reason I ask is that in my experience, to be that familar with a player you need to watch him more often than once in a blue moon.
Were these same posters greatly familiar with McBride as well when they were branding him a failure before he'd even played a game??? (By the way, I don't actually know that they did that - just an educated guess).

Anyway - I'm getting a bit over-hot under the collar about this. My main point is that I'm exasperated at some of the over reaction to this rumour. FWIW I'd also hope that the club's ambitions stretch somewhat further than signing BOB on a free from Falkirk - but it's early doors yet and I'd expect to see a lot more ins and outs before the end of August.

basehibby
10-06-2010, 02:38 PM
See where you have admitted that you don't have in depth knowledge of O'Briens ability? I will match that by admitting that I have never owned nor played Championship Manager. I will also admit to having a few Falkirk supporting mates who were absolutely determined to see, that none of the cash that they got for Arfield should go to giving B O'B a new contract. That and the postings on One F in Falkirk kinda suggest that they are not overly sorry to see him leave and these boys have seen him play. McBride was different altogether. His MOM against der hun in the Cup Final showed he is a player. When he left there was a more than a hint of sour grapes, but I don't sense that this time.

OK - at least you have some semblance of knowledge as to his capabilities. I'll reserve judgement until I see the guy play a few games in the flesh (IF he signs). Obviously I'm hoping that you're mates are as wrong as all the Bairns fans who claimed McBride was a waste of space - and as wrong as the fonts of all knowledge who claimed Murray was past it before his return to Hibs from Norwich. Hughes is the one who will stand or fall by the signings he makes, and I'm sure he's very much aware of this - presumably he sees something in BOB that your mates don't - hopefully his eye for a player is better than theirs.

erin go bragh
10-06-2010, 02:46 PM

it says 2010 bud:wink:

Golden Bear
10-06-2010, 03:17 PM
it says 2010 bud:wink:

Aye - it does now but it certainly never at 10am this morning.

This only adds creedance to the rumour that he may have already signed.

M11BMO
10-06-2010, 03:32 PM
Aye - it does now but it certainly never at 10am this morning.

This only adds creedance to the rumour that he may have already signed.

It said 2009 when I had a look earlier as well.:confused:

CRAZYHIBBY
10-06-2010, 04:21 PM
obrien is absolute gash :confused:

Golden Bear
10-06-2010, 04:28 PM
obrien is absolute gash :confused:

I can't say I've taken much notice of him so far.

But if he has signed then I'll reserve judgement until I've seen him play a few games in the green & white jersey.

MrSmith
10-06-2010, 05:03 PM
BOB is not the type of player we need! I'm sorry that I haven't followed the lads career nor seen him play enough to gauge a real feel for his ability however, on the strength of his path toward Hibs then we neither need him nor should we go out our way to sign what would most obviously be a lightweight squad player.

We need quality and strength within the team, fighters, hard types and players who see Hibs as a step up in their career no just a side step to an easy life.

Sorry BOB, not hibs class and we do not need another lightweight in midfield.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
10-06-2010, 05:20 PM
BOB is not the type of player we need! I'm sorry that I haven't followed the lads career nor seen him play enough to gauge a real feel for his ability however, on the strength of his path toward Hibs then we neither need him nor should we go out our way to sign what would most obviously be a lightweight squad player.

We need quality and strength within the team, fighters, hard types and players who see Hibs as a step up in their career no just a side step to an easy life.

Sorry BOB, not hibs class and we do not need another lightweight in midfield.

Heres a question...

If BoB was to sign and say, Stevenson was to move on, would that not be us strengthening the squad?

Im not excited by his signing, but im not stupid enough to think that every player we sign is going to be a star - if come an injury crisis next year like we had a few months ago, we were to have BOB playing left/centre mid rather than Stevenson then i think that would be an improvement.

Why dont people just wait and judge the summer signings at the end of window, its a team game and increasingly a squad game, and Hibs need guys like Rankin and potentially guys like O'Brien.

Gatecrasher
10-06-2010, 05:43 PM
Heres a question...

If BoB was to sign and say, Stevenson was to move on, would that not be us strengthening the squad?

Im not excited by his signing, but im not stupid enough to think that every player we sign is going to be a star - if come an injury crisis next year like we had a few months ago, we were to have BOB playing left/centre mid rather than Stevenson then i think that would be an improvement.

Why dont people just wait and judge the summer signings at the end of window, its a team game and increasingly a squad game, and Hibs need guys like Rankin and potentially guys like O'Brien.

spot on IMO :agree:

sahib
10-06-2010, 05:54 PM
Doubt that.

They sometimes just take a wage and stop young players breaking through imho. I am not criticizing BOB but I worry that Yogi is too worried about his own neck and doesn't have the balls to risk youngsters.

MyJo
10-06-2010, 06:17 PM
They sometimes just take a wage and stop young players breaking through imho. I am not criticizing BOB but I worry that Yogi is too worried about his own neck and doesn't have the balls to risk youngsters.

Like Wotherspoon and Hanlon you mean :dunno:

Ritchie
10-06-2010, 07:16 PM
OK - at least you have some semblance of knowledge as to his capabilities. I'll reserve judgement until I see the guy play a few games in the flesh (IF he signs). Obviously I'm hoping that you're mates are as wrong as all the Bairns fans who claimed McBride was a waste of space - and as wrong as the fonts of all knowledge who claimed Murray was past it before his return to Hibs from Norwich. Hughes is the one who will stand or fall by the signings he makes, and I'm sure he's very much aware of this - presumably he sees something in BOB that your mates don't - hopefully his eye for a player is better than theirs.

I've seen obrien play many times. He is no better than what we've got and is a waste of a wage. We have enough players like him. We need to be looking at strenghting the squad, obrien won't do this. We need a solid hard tackling midfielder, obriens not it.

I've been Reading yogis interviews in the paper and he states he needs strong experienced players.... Obrien is not strong or particulary experienced.

Poor poor signing

sahib
10-06-2010, 07:26 PM
Like Wotherspoon and Hanlon you mean :dunno:

Did Hanlon not debut about three seasons ago?

NORTHERNHIBBY
10-06-2010, 07:52 PM

I can't disagree with anything that you have said. When you look back at other postings though, I don't see anyone saying that they hope he turns out to be a disaster, in fact if he firms up our powder puff middle I will be more than delighted but my point is this; When I see that B O'B is released from Falkirk I expect St Mirren to be in for him to give them a bit of experience, or Dunfermline to help them out of the first. But a player that was hardly a stand-out for them team that went down, to the team the finished fourth? If this boy is really the type we are missing or really the type to make a difference, why did we not move for him before this? Sure a bid of 50-100K would have been enough either this time last year or even in the January window.

JimBHibees
11-06-2010, 12:39 PM

Cant agree Wotherspoon played all season. Yogi and his coaching staff will be seeing the young players in training every day adn will be well able to see who is likely to be able to make what is a massive step up to the first team.

Part/Time Supporter
11-06-2010, 12:52 PM
Did Hanlon not debut about three seasons ago?

Then was promptly dropped after Mixu signed that world beater Bobby Zarabi.

Hanlon made at least twice as many appearances last season as he did in the previous two. Mixu also punted him out on loan to St. Johnstone, then suddenly put him in the Hibs team after he came back, then dropped him again two weeks later after one mistake.

Phil MaGlass
11-06-2010, 01:10 PM
Someone mentioned earlier that he may well flourish (or words to that effect) surrounded by better players. I dont buy into that if he was a decent player amongst mediocre or not good players at Falkirk surely all football supporters would have noticed him. If you cant shine in an underachieving relegated team then how are you going to shine at Hibs. I dont mean to sound negative I just hope he turns out to be an addition to Hibs than another waste of a wage as we have had enough of those over the last few seasons, anyhoos good luck tae the guy.

truehibernian
11-06-2010, 01:18 PM

Hanlon made at least twice as many appearances last season as he did in the previous two. Mixu also punted him out on loan to St. Johnstone, then suddenly put him in the Hibs team after he came back, then dropped him again two weeks later after one mistake.

The same thing John Hughes did after mistakes versus St Mirren and St Johnstone (CIS Cup) at the beginning of last season :agree: Hanlon made some bad errors in the first few games last season and was rightly dropped by Hughes. He showed great character however coming back the way he did and putting in some good showings at centre half. Still a young boy and needs a better player than Hogg alongside to progress IMHO.

woodythehibee
11-06-2010, 01:23 PM
The same thing John Hughes did after mistakes versus St Mirren and St Johnstone (CIS Cup) at the beginning of last season :agree: Hanlon made some bad errors in the first few games last season and was rightly dropped by Hughes. He showed great character however coming back the way he did and putting in some good showings at centre half. Still a young boy and needs a better player than Hogg alongside to progress IMHO.

i think Hanlon is going to be a star. When we won at Sellick Park in January he was faultless at CH and was confident enough to take the ball out from the back and drive forward on many occasions.

Would much prefer him to stay at CH for next season

Sumner
11-06-2010, 07:17 PM
Hanlon needs to be played to develop. :agree:

sahib
11-06-2010, 08:46 PM

The point I was trying to make was that Hanlon is hardly an example of Hughes bringing through a young player from the under 19's. This is borne out by your summing up of his recent history.

woodythehibee
12-06-2010, 09:33 AM
Aberdeen now after burton o'brien according to The Sun.

Hibs90
12-06-2010, 09:49 AM
Aberdeen now after burton o'brien according to The Sun.

They can have him.