PDA

View Full Version : Queen's

Sir David Gray
09-06-2010, 11:44 PM
Another great showing from the British players...NOT :bitchy:

On Monday, Jamie Baker (the British number three at 254 in the world), lost to Denis Istomin from Uzbekistan 1-6 4-6.

Then James Ward (the British number five at 344 in the world), lost to Robby Ginepri from the USA 3-6 5-7.

The third British player to appear on court was Alex Bogdanovic (the British number two at 166 in the world), lost to 19 year old Bulgarian Grigor Dimitrov, who is ranked about 200 places below his opponent. Bogdanovic lost 6-4 3-6 4-6.

So, as usual, it is left to Mr Murray to fly the flag for Britain at a tournament. He got a bye into round two and began the defence of his title yesterday against Ivan Navarro of Spain. Murray won a tight opening set in a tie-break but the second set was more comfortable and he eventually progressed 7-6 6-3.

He will now play Mardy Fish of the USA in round three tomorrow.

There is actually an excellent line-up tomorrow on the centre court, with Roddick, Nadal, Murray and Djokovic all in action.

As for the other Brits who played, there is probably an excuse for Baker and Ward as they were up against pretty good players. However, there can be no excuse for Alex Bogdanovic and it's no wonder the LTA has cut his funding. For that guy to lose to a teenager who is ranked about 200 places below him in the rankings, despite having a one set lead, is shocking.

It really is a sad indictment on the state of British tennis when Bogdanovic is currently the second best player in this country by quite a considerable distance.

The only notable win that he has had so far this year is a first round victory at Bordeaux over Robby Ginepri and I have no idea how he managed to win that.

He has never won a match at Wimbledon in his life, despite being given a wildcard into the main draw for eight consecutive years and he has never won a 'live' rubber at the Davis Cup either.

Although the defeats for Ward and Baker were easier to take, it's hard to justify their funding as well. They are both well into their 20's now and have achieved practically nothing in the game and don't look like changing that any time soon.

Out of all the nations who have a player in the top 20, this is how many players they each currently have in the top 200;

Spain-21
Switzerland-4
Serbia-4
Britain-2
Russia-6
Sweden-1
USA-20
Argentina-14
France-21
Croatia-5
Czech Republic-5
Austria-1

Apart from Sweden and Austria (who both have tiny populations in comparison with the UK), all the other nations are outperforming us, in terms of how many top players they are producing.

It makes for really grim reading and it's nothing short of an embarrassment.

Dashing Bob S
10-06-2010, 04:58 PM
The Britain garbage at tennis debate predates the Scotland terrible at football one, and by about 40 years. Comforting that some things never change.

Sir David Gray
10-06-2010, 11:35 PM
Ridiculous set of events during Andy Murray's match last night.

It was one set all and Fish had gone 3-0 up in the decider before Murray managed to fight back and get it back to 3-3. Fish was then about to serve when he decided that it was too dark to continue play and indicated to the umpire that play should be stopped for the day. The umpire initially told Fish to get on with things but Fish insisted that it was too dark and they should come back tomorrow to finish the match. The umpire called for the referee to come down and after a brief discussion, it was announced that play was suspended for the day and the match would resume tomorrow.

All this was done without Andy Murray being consulted about a thing and he couldn't believe what was happening. The only reason Fish wanted to stop was because he knew the match, which he had complete control over, was beginning to get away from him and Murray had the momentum.

When they come back later today to finish the match, I sincerely hope Murray hammers him and puts him out.

It's farcical that this type of thing is happening at a tournament like Queen's and it's surely not right that you make decisions like this, without consulting both players.

There were three big shocks yesterday at Queen's as Andy Roddick, Novak Djokovic and Marin Cilic all went out and Rafael Nadal also went close to exiting the tournament.

steakbake
11-06-2010, 08:31 AM
Ridiculous set of events during Andy Murray's match last night.

It was one set all and Fish had gone 3-0 up in the decider before Murray managed to fight back and get it back to 3-3. Fish was then about to serve when he decided that it was too dark to continue play and indicated to the umpire that play should be stopped for the day. The umpire initially told Fish to get on with things but Fish insisted that it was too dark and they should come back tomorrow to finish the match. The umpire called for the referee to come down and after a brief discussion, it was announced that play was suspended for the day and the match would resume tomorrow.

All this was done without Andy Murray being consulted about a thing and he couldn't believe what was happening. The only reason Fish wanted to stop was because he knew the match, which he had complete control over, was beginning to get away from him and Murray had the momentum.

When they come back later today to finish the match, I sincerely hope Murray hammers him and puts him out.

It's farcical that this type of thing is happening at a tournament like Queen's and it's surely not right that you make decisions like this, without consulting both players.

There were three big shocks yesterday at Queen's as Andy Roddick, Novak Djokovic and Marin Cilic all went out and Rafael Nadal also went close to exiting the tournament.

Magic. Andy Murray is a prize plum. Anything to wind up the moany faced get.

Sir David Gray
11-06-2010, 04:08 PM
Magic. Andy Murray is a prize plum. Anything to wind up the moany faced get.

I honestly cannot understand this attitude from British people, particularly from people in Scotland.

Scotland doesn't have many athletes who are at the top of their sport, so when one actually comes along, I think we should be supporting them all the way.

By the way, you'll be pleased to know that when the match resumed this afternoon, Mardy Fish beat Murray in the third set tie-break.

Rafael Nadal is also out as he lost to fellow Spaniard, Feliciano Lopez, in straight sets.

Removed
11-06-2010, 04:48 PM
I honestly cannot understand this attitude from British people, particularly from people in Scotland.

Scotland doesn't have many athletes who are at the top of their sport, so when one actually comes along, I think we should be supporting them all the way.

You must admit he could really do with some help with his public persona. He is a miserable bassa, even when he wins. That must affect how people react to him, I know it does me.

Same with Colin Montgomery, didn't real help himself with his attitude and to some extent the public reaction to him probably affected his game as well imo.

Sir David Gray
11-06-2010, 09:46 PM
You must admit he could really do with some help with his public persona. He is a miserable bassa, even when he wins. That must affect how people react to him, I know it does me.

Same with Colin Montgomery, didn't real help himself with his attitude and to some extent the public reaction to him probably affected his game as well imo.

I get really fed up hearing this from pundits on the TV. The guy is there to win tennis matches, ok he hasn't been too successful at doing that lately, but that is what he's paid to do. If people want to watch someone who will give them a laugh, they should buy a Peter Kay DVD.

From time to time, you see him laughing and joking with his coach and other members of his team because that is the people that he's close to and he feels comfortable in their company. He is relaxed and chilled out when he's off court and that shows in his demeanour, but when he's playing he is much more serious and concentrating on winning.

You don't see Nadal or Federer doing much joking around during a match but they don't get the same kind of hassle over their body language or their attitude that Murray seems to get. I'm quite sure that away from a tennis court, they too are quite jovial with their friends and family.

I think his biggest problem just now is that he is having a tough time with the results that he is getting and that shows in his body language, but that is normal. Any sportsperson who is losing a lot of matches will look quite tense and a bit more on edge. When he wins, you see how passionate he gets.

I honestly think that the media makes far too much of this issue.

Removed
11-06-2010, 10:22 PM
I get really fed up hearing this from pundits on the TV. The guy is there to win tennis matches, ok he hasn't been too successful at doing that lately, but that is what he's paid to do. If people want to watch someone who will give them a laugh, they should buy a Peter Kay DVD.

I honestly think that the media makes far too much of this issue.

Like it or not it's not just about winning tennis matches though is it. The public pay to watch and be entertained and that includes press conferences and tv interviews as well. Without spectators there is no tennis tour, and if the crowd turn against him then it an uphill battle. Nobody is expecting him to be a stand up comic but neither are they expecting what he is most of the time.

When he comes on the tv to talk I change channels. He makes Gordon Brown look like Frankie Boyle. Do I want him to get beat, no, but could I care if he didn't win, not really. Just giving my point of view. You did say you didn't understand why we treated home grown sportsmen and women like that. Just my take on it. Interested to hear what others think.

HUTCHYHIBBY
12-06-2010, 07:56 AM
I used to get abuse from Hibs mates for singing Steven Hendry's praises. The guy is Scottish and a genius, enough said! Time to retire though!

Sir David Gray
12-06-2010, 11:15 PM
Like it or not it's not just about winning tennis matches though is it. The public pay to watch and be entertained and that includes press conferences and tv interviews as well. Without spectators there is no tennis tour, and if the crowd turn against him then it an uphill battle. Nobody is expecting him to be a stand up comic but neither are they expecting what he is most of the time.

When he comes on the tv to talk I change channels. He makes Gordon Brown look like Frankie Boyle. Do I want him to get beat, no, but could I care if he didn't win, not really. Just giving my point of view. You did say you didn't understand why we treated home grown sportsmen and women like that. Just my take on it. Interested to hear what others think.

Maybe it's just me but, to a certain extent, I personally couldn't care less how someone that I support comes across in a press interview. Derek Riordan can come across as the most monotonous person on the planet in a post-match interview if he wants, but if he's just scored a hat-trick in a derby, I really wouldn't give two hoots about that. I want sports men/women to do all their talking on the pitch/court/track etc.

The way I see it is there is already more than enough anti-Murray sentiment coming from some quarters in England after the childish over-reaction to his humourous (yes, humourous!!!) comments about the English football team, when he was about 18 years old, without people in Scotland turning against him as well.

Like I've said already, we don't have too many sporting greats in this country, we are one of the most unhealthy nations in the developed world after all, so when someone like Andy Murray comes along, I really cannot understand why the whole country doesn't get behind him.

If Murray wasn't Scottish, maybe I wouldn't like him too much, I can't really answer that, but the fact is, he is Scottish and because of that, I will support him in every single tournament that he plays.

Removed
12-06-2010, 11:46 PM
Like I've said already, we don't have too many sporting greats in this country, we are one of the most unhealthy nations in the developed world after all, so when someone like Andy Murray comes along, I really cannot understand why the whole country doesn't get behind him.

If Murray wasn't Scottish, maybe I wouldn't like him too much, I can't really answer that, but the fact is, he is Scottish and because of that, I will support him in every single tournament that he plays.

I really do understand your point about him - he is completely absorbed, completely focussed on being number 1. His ambition is a serious one – it’s not to be taken lightly – so when he gets interviewed he is a serious chap talking about a serious goal that he intends to reach. He’s spent all his life bar a couple of years at the start getting his game to be as good as it is – this isn’t something he wants to joke about.

That's all fine but a lot of folk, myself included, canny be bothered with him because he is a miserable so and so end of. Same with Montgomery, Lyle, Coulthard, Hendry etc. You ask why and I've told you. You might not agree but that's what happens imo.

My other passion in life is bikes. I love watching bike racing. Take the difference between Valentino Rossi and Dani Pedrosa. One is charismatic and engaging, the other is a miserable bassa. That's how they come across on tv pre and post races no matter who has won. I know who I would prefer to see win, and Rossi has had the same dedication, drive and ambition as Andy Murray from an early age. Maybe because he smiles and is happy, along with his obvious talent, he might be more successful. I don't know.