PDA

View Full Version : Specialty Dishes

Sylar
09-06-2010, 06:53 PM
I know there are a fair few folks on here who enjoy cooking on here, so what are you specialty dishes.

I've just finished cooking paella for myself and the other half - water infused with proper saffron/paprika (brought back from a friend who lives in Barcelona for 3 months of the year), vine-ripened spanish tomatoes and red peppers, seasoned chicken breast, Spanish chorizo, atlantic prawns, corriander and arborio rice.

Magic! :thumbsup:

Bayern Bru
09-06-2010, 07:06 PM
That sounds braw :agree:

Probably my carbonara would count as my 'specialty dish.'

Mushrooms, onions, bacon lardons, egg, cream, wee bit of cheese and a sprinkle of pepper on top of spaghetti. Sounds fairly straightforward, and to a certain extent it is but it tastes damn fine, which is the main thing :wink:

PiemanP
09-06-2010, 07:15 PM
My best dish is ala microwave :agree:

also do a cracking slice of toast

apart from that i leave it to the women...

Sergey
09-06-2010, 07:29 PM
I know there are a fair few folks on here who enjoy cooking on here, so what are you specialty dishes.

I've just finished cooking paella for myself and the other half - water infused with proper saffron/paprika (brought back from a friend who lives in Barcelona for 3 months of the year), vine-ripened spanish tomatoes and red peppers, seasoned chicken breast, Spanish chorizo, atlantic prawns, corriander and arborio rice.

Magic! :thumbsup:

Sounds great. I've never had much joy with paella, so you've got one over on me :agree:

FWIW, the best saffron comes from Persia (the Greeks will argue the case) and Hungary produces the best paprika....no argument!

To the point; I've got quiche down to a fine art, and I really enjoy making soups (the stock is the key).

Leicester Fan
09-06-2010, 08:18 PM
My best dish is ala microwave :agree:

also do a cracking slice of toast

apart from that i leave it to the women...

You make your own toast?! You big gay.

BroxburnHibee
09-06-2010, 08:29 PM
I make a mean meatball curry and my lasagne is quite popular at work :greengrin

Greentinted
09-06-2010, 09:18 PM
Stovies :thumbsup: - The sausages version, not that weak corned beef infused abomination.

HibbyAndy
09-06-2010, 09:53 PM
Mince and Tatties.

Scottish food and nane of this foreign muck.

Nuff said.

Sylar
09-06-2010, 09:56 PM
Sounds great. I've never had much joy with paella, so you've got one over on me :agree:

FWIW, the best saffron comes from Persia (the Greeks will argue the case) and Hungary produces the best paprika....no argument!

To the point; I've got quiche down to a fine art, and I really enjoy making soups (the stock is the key).

It took me a couple of attempts to get it to a decent consistency for me. First time I made it, I didn't manage to get the timing of the rice right, and the second time, I added too much of the infused water, and it was like a soup. Got it down to a fine art now though and it's soo damned tasty!

My future father-in-law does a lot of work over in Greece, so I'll perhaps get him to source me some saffron when he's over there. I'm guessing getting a hold of Hungarian paprika isn't the easiest thing on earth?

HibbyAndy
09-06-2010, 09:59 PM
It took me a couple of attempts to get it to a decent consistency for me. First time I made it, I didn't manage to get the timing of the rice right, and the second time, I added too much of the infused water, and it was like a soup. Got it down to a fine art now though and it's soo damned tasty!

My future father-in-law does a lot of work over in Greece, so I'll perhaps get him to source me some saffron when he's over there. I'm guessing getting a hold of Hungarian paprika isn't the easiest thing on earth?

Ebay.

BroxburnHibee
09-06-2010, 10:13 PM
Ebay.

Or................... (http://www.cheapflights.co.uk/flights/Budapest/Edinburgh/)

:wink:

Sergey
09-06-2010, 10:14 PM

Drop me a PM with your postal addy and I'll send you some Persian saffron and hot Hungarian paprika.

Sylar
10-06-2010, 07:43 AM
Drop me a PM with your postal addy and I'll send you some Persian saffron and hot Hungarian paprika.

Wow - very much obliged to you sir! :thumbsup:

On its way.

lyonhibs
10-06-2010, 07:50 AM

This is fascinating stuff - if you don't mind me asking, what is your 9-5, apart from serial Yam winder-upper?

You always seem to know a fair amount about the finer things in life re: food.

Is one of those poncy MasterChef judges a Hibby perhaps?? :hmmm::greengrin

Peevemor
10-06-2010, 07:56 AM
This is fascinating stuff - if you don't mind me asking, what is your 9-5, apart from serial Yam winder-upper?
:hmmm::greengrin

He provides a service to shops, disposing of out-of-date/rotten spices.

lyonhibs
10-06-2010, 08:04 AM

:tee hee:

Sylar
10-06-2010, 10:09 AM

:greengrin