PDA

View Full Version : Greggs Burton O'Brien

Spike Mandela
08-06-2010, 05:02 PM
Guy on the bounce reckons Hibs Mad reporting we've signed him on 2yr deal:confused:

scoopyboy
08-06-2010, 05:07 PM
Guy on the bounce reckons Hibs Mad reporting we've signed him on 2yr deal:confused:

I (obviously wrongly) posted he was signing for us in the January window.

It came from his mum who works beside a mate.

So by my reckoning there might be something in it.

Spike Mandela
08-06-2010, 05:08 PM
Also on Falkirk forum....

http://www.onefinfalkirk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=23065

Beefster
08-06-2010, 05:09 PM
Another ex-Falkirk player. Awesome.

Spike Mandela
08-06-2010, 05:10 PM

Could be this years Paddy Cregg.

HibbyAndy
08-06-2010, 05:12 PM
What position is he?

Sylar
When he played for Livingston, he was a sensational midfielder, earning a move down south to Sheffield.

He has potential to add something to the squad, though I fear his best days are perhaps behind him, which seems silly to say, as he can't be that old?

3pm
He has ability...

MyJo
08-06-2010, 05:14 PM

Yeah our squad is already littered with them, like McBride and Stokes and......errrr.......:rolleyes:

Lmc2105
08-06-2010, 05:14 PM
would be very very surprised by this and a don't think would be met with the backing of most hibs fans
then again he was a decent player at Livingston but i think we should be aiming a bit higher

lyonhibs
08-06-2010, 05:18 PM
From a Falkirk mate who says he's basically the most lightweight, tackle-dodging bassa he's ever seen play for Falkirk - or words to the effect.

I'll reserve my own judgement if true, because said mate is a bit of a piss-head!!!

steviecarnie
When he played for Livingston, he was a sensational midfielder, earning a move down south to Sheffield.

He has potential to add something to the squad, though I fear his best days are perhaps behind him, which seems silly to say, as he can't be that old?

he's 28

bighairyfaeleith
never heard of him.

Beefster
Yeah our squad is already littered with them, like McBride and Stokes and......errrr.......:rolleyes:

Every single outfield player signed by Hughes so far, bar Miller, has played for Hughes at Falkirk. He also tried to get Barr and Arfield.

bighairyfaeleith
08-06-2010, 05:20 PM
From a Falkirk mate who says he's basically the most lightweight, tackle-dodging bassa he's ever seen play for Falkirk - or words to the effect.

I'll reserve my own judgement if true, because said mate is a bit of a piss-head!!!

Surely not, I am taking that with a mighty pinch of salt.

I mean, a piss head from falkirk:confused:

Diclonius
08-06-2010, 05:24 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

is my response

NORTHERNHIBBY
08-06-2010, 05:27 PM
If this boy ever pulls on a Hbs top serious questions need to be asked. Not good enough and not even a squad filler.

MyJo
08-06-2010, 05:29 PM
Every single outfield player signed by Hughes so far, bar Miller, has played for Hughes at Falkirk.

Galbraith :dunno:

He also tried to get Barr and Arfield.

but he didn't which brings us back to the fact that there is 2 former Falkirk players in our squad, one of which was many peoples player of the season until he get injured halfway through and the other is our top scorer and 2nd top scorer in the league (who only spent half a season on loan at Falkirk anyway)

Oscar Lomax
08-06-2010, 05:55 PM
I liked him as a yougster as he looked classy but he is very weak and fragile. A bottom 6 SPL player now if you ask me. Dissapointed if true.

mjhibby
08-06-2010, 05:57 PM
From what i remember he was a pretty good player in his livi days.No idea what he has done the last few seasons so lets just wait and see.Stokes hasnt exactly been a failure and mcbride was very good until getting his injury.Would have thought though hughes would be after strong midfielders but in yogi we trust.

col02
08-06-2010, 06:01 PM
It would appear that some are happy to be writing the guy off if he has indeed signed just like so many wrote off McBride who was a sensation for Hibs till his ankle injury flared up. :rolleyes:

Reaper
08-06-2010, 06:07 PM

The Falkirk fans said McBride was the worst players they've seen. Most part of last season McBride was outstanding.

Reaper
08-06-2010, 06:08 PM
The Falkirk fans said McBride was the worst players they've seen. Most part of last season McBride was outstanding.

Incidently however, I'm not overly enthused about this if true.

Beefster
08-06-2010, 06:08 PM
Galbraith :dunno:

Galbraith trained with Hibs before Mixu was sacked and it's likely that he would have signed whether Hughes was manager or not.

BigKev
08-06-2010, 06:13 PM
Having saw him on many an occasion with Wednesday I'd be awfy disappointed if this is true.

He's one of the least commited players I've seen in my lifetime.

.Sean.
08-06-2010, 06:16 PM

a lightweight, tackle-dodging midfielder called O'Brien? :bitchy:

Please God no, i'm still having nightmares about the last one!

CRAZYHIBBY
08-06-2010, 06:18 PM
What position is he?

doggy:agree:

Hibby 2005
08-06-2010, 06:19 PM
Going for players you once Managed does seem to be a bit of a preoccupation with most coaches. I've never doubted Yogi's ability to spot a player, with the possible exception of Cregg, so he might well turn out to be next seasons McBride. Time will tell.

MyJo
08-06-2010, 06:21 PM
Galbraith trained with Hibs before Mixu was sacked and it's likely that he would have signed whether Hughes was manager or not.

So it was Mixu's team that got us into europe then :dunno:

Dashing Bob S
08-06-2010, 06:22 PM
Seriously underwhelmed. Yet another championship failure Scot 'who could a job at ER'. I'm just venting though as I got caught in the Florida rain and possibly ruined a new pair of suede loafters and he might just be the spectacular signing we need to launch us into the stratosphere.

Beefster
08-06-2010, 06:27 PM
So it was Mixu's team that got us into europe then :dunno:

I'll take your word for it.

PeterboroHibee
08-06-2010, 06:27 PM
No thanks. McBride has turned out to be a good signing but really dont think this boy is any good. Be fairly disappointed.

Greenblood70
08-06-2010, 06:30 PM
Just what we need, another player with questionable commitment when the going gets tough. I hope this isn't true personally as I'd prefer us to use the wages to sign players for the positions we really need.

sam armstrong
08-06-2010, 07:06 PM

Falkirk supporter works with me agrees. No use at all according to him. I don't think he was a regular starter for them so I would doubt good enough for Hibs.

Spike Mandela
08-06-2010, 07:07 PM
Could this be a cunning ploy by Hibs in the hope Vlad steams in and offers him £6k a week to go to Hearts:wink:

Iain G
08-06-2010, 07:16 PM
The new Stephen Glass perhaps? :rolleyes:

Andy74
08-06-2010, 07:17 PM
Funny, we used to get posts about how we should be signing this guy. I recall one bemoaning the fact he went to Falkirk! Having said that I doubt he'd add much but would probably be a decent squad player if he did sign.

IWasThere2016
08-06-2010, 07:17 PM
BB can play a bit - but he's chicken-hearted!

Not impressed if he's coming in tbh

The Modfather
08-06-2010, 07:20 PM
Judas barsetward, I've not forgotten about him jumping ship to South Africa. :bye:

Hiber-nation
08-06-2010, 07:21 PM
Exactly the type of player we don't need.

Who's next, Vitor Lima, Tam Scobbie, Craig Finnegan?

Hainan Hibs
08-06-2010, 07:23 PM
Craps it in a tackle? Well he'd fit right in at ER:greengrin.

Not really the signing I would like and isn't one that will improve our chances of progression in the or Europe. Would happily be proved wrong though and would give him a chance if he id sign.

SalfordHibs
08-06-2010, 07:23 PM
Burton O'Brien was a great player for St Mirren which earned him a move to Blackburn Rovers, he left Blackburn for Livingston and again he was playing well, dont know how he got on at Sheffield Wednesday but at Falkirk he was very poor and wasn't a regular starter.

I really hope this isn't true :bitchy:

Greenblood70
08-06-2010, 07:24 PM
Exactly the type of player we don't need.

Who's next, Vitor Lima, Tam Scobbie, Craig Finnegan?

Crawford Baptie??:bitchy::greengrin:wink:

sam armstrong
08-06-2010, 07:25 PM
From what i remember he was a pretty good player in his livi days.No idea what he has done the last few seasons so lets just wait and see.Stokes hasnt exactly been a failure and mcbride was very good until getting his injury.Would have thought though hughes would be after strong midfielders but in yogi we trust.

Mcbride is a nothing player. Never looks like scoring a goal, never creates a goal and is easily out muscled in midfield. He is good at passing to his own team but mainly in our own half. O'brien is another weak midfield player. Not quick, can't tackle, doesn't create much, doesn't score and will add nothing to our team.

sam armstrong
08-06-2010, 07:27 PM
It would appear that some are happy to be writing the guy off if he has indeed signed just like so many wrote off McBride who was a sensation for Hibs till his ankle injury flared up. :rolleyes:

You are having a laugh.

Ritchie
08-06-2010, 07:27 PM
WTF is yogi up to?

Definately not hibs class!

Another clueless managerial decision if true.

HibeeMcGinn1
08-06-2010, 07:31 PM

so if hughes thought he was crap would he have still signed him? yogis signing because he wanted the player regardless if he was with us for a bit under mixu

hibs0666
08-06-2010, 07:33 PM

Could be true - he played for Falkirk after all.

BEEJ
08-06-2010, 07:36 PM
So Hughes has gone for a Burton? :duck:

Even by Hibs.net standards this thread is wonderfully negative. This guy is being almost universally panned yet there is no real evidence that he's actually being signed. :greengrin

Reaper
08-06-2010, 07:43 PM
Crawford Baptie??:bitchy::greengrin:wink:

I heard Marion Keiths coming in as a target man :devil:

Reaper
08-06-2010, 07:44 PM
I heard Marion Keiths coming in as a target man :devil:

That was supposed to be Marino Keith :devil:

we are hibs
08-06-2010, 07:49 PM

http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=285&fid=143&act=1&mid=2121309087

Bostonhibby
08-06-2010, 08:02 PM
nothing about him personally but I am troubled that it might be yet another squad type player from falkirk. would it no be cheaper if we took them over and threw back the ones we don't want? :wink:

seanraff07
08-06-2010, 08:06 PM
We are lacking tough players that will give you 100% every game.

The last thing we need is yet another lightweight player who doesn't give a toss joining a team who last season at times lacked effort and were bullied off the park.

SalfordHibs
08-06-2010, 08:09 PM
We are lacking tough players that will give you 100% every game.

The last thing we need is yet another lightweight player who doesn't give a toss joining a team who last season at times lacked effort and were bullied off the park.

Exactly mate i was going to give Hughes the benefit of the doubt but signings of this kind of quality doesn't inspire me with confidence.

Mark79
08-06-2010, 08:10 PM
Looks like we have another turkey by the name of o'brien to vent our disgust at.

HFC 0-7
08-06-2010, 08:11 PM
Last season we signed McBride and Cregg. We tried to get Arfield and Barr, now we may be going after O'brien.

Fair enough McBride turned out ok, but thats 5 players from falkirk, half a team that was fighting relegation then got relegated. Surely a team like that doesnt have 5 players that hibs should be looking at getting.

Hibs are in need of either creative players or hard tackling physical types, Burton O'brien is neither. I hope its not true

seanraff07
08-06-2010, 08:17 PM
Exactly mate i was going to give Hughes the benefit of the doubt but signings of this kind of quality doesn't inspire me with confidence.

Yep, i still will back Yogi in the majority of signings he makes cause so far they have been pretty good. But i know for a fact that lightweight players that avoid getting stuck in is most definitely what we don't need.

SalfordHibs
08-06-2010, 08:23 PM
Yep, i still will back Yogi in the majority of signings he makes cause so far they have been pretty good. But i know for a fact that lightweight players that avoid getting stuck in is most definitely what we don't need.

Yogi's signings: Stokes class act, Miller was a class act but fell out of his game, McBride done alright but hardly sensational, Cregg shown the door never good enough, Stack started off brightly but again faded fast, Galbraith looks a talent but never given a real chance, not exactly breath taking mate, Brown being injured so cant comment, Smith made some howlers but shouldn't have been dropped when he did.

If true he goes and signs O'Brien who is Rankin level is that progress for a club going into Europe.

MyJo
08-06-2010, 08:24 PM
Last season we signed McBride and Cregg. We tried to get Arfield and Barr, now we may be going after O'brien.

Fair enough McBride turned out ok, but thats 5 players from falkirk, half a team that was fighting relegation then got relegated. Surely a team like that doesnt have 5 players that hibs should be looking at getting.

Cregg was signed because he was cheap and available (:tee hee:) Once Liam Miller became available and was signed Cregg didn't get a look in, Arfield & Barr were reasonable signing targets for us regardless of the fact they played for Falkirk and McBride has fitted in well and performed brilliantly for the first half of the season.

I will be reserving judgement on any player until they have signed and actually had an opportunity in the team because as far as i can see Yogi hasn't really done much wrong in his signings so far.......maybe we haven't got positions like right back suitably covered in the two transfer windows Yogi has had but i'd rather we waited for the right player that Yogi has identified (Hart) and give some younger boys or fringe players (Wotherspoon, McCormack, Thicot) the chance to play games in that position rather than wasting a wage on a panic buy to appease the baying hoardes of fans we hibby's seem to be :rolleyes:

Barney McGrew
08-06-2010, 08:26 PM

They're also players from a team that got within 90 minutes of doing what we haven't been able to for over a century.

Maybe that's the sort of players we should be looking at :wink:

SalfordHibs
08-06-2010, 08:29 PM
They're also players from a team that got within 90 minutes of doing what we haven't been able to for over a century.

If that's the kind of quality you want for Hibs thank **** you aint in charge.

seanraff07
08-06-2010, 08:30 PM
Yogi's signings: Stokes class act, Miller was a class act but fell out of his game, McBride done alright but hardly sensational, Cregg shown the door never good enough, Stack started off brightly but again faded fast, Galbraith looks a talent but never given a real chance, not exactly breath taking mate, Brown being injured so cant comment, Smith made some howlers but shouldn't have been dropped when he did.

If true he goes and signs O'Brien who is Rankin level is that progress for a club going into Europe.

In a word, no.

seanraff07
08-06-2010, 08:32 PM

And were also 90 minutes away from being relegated.:rolleyes:

.Sean.
08-06-2010, 08:41 PM
The new Stephen Glass perhaps? :rolleyes:
What was wrong with Stephen Glass? :confused:

.Sean.
08-06-2010, 08:43 PM
I seem to remember similar things were said when we signed Kevin McBride. The guy hasn't even signed yet and we've got folk slating him. Gie it a break FFS, eh?

SalfordHibs
08-06-2010, 08:44 PM
I seem to remember similar things were said when we signed Kevin McBride. The guy hasn't even signed yet and we;ve got folk slating him. Gie it a break FFS, eh?

And look how that turned out :rolleyes:

Diclonius
08-06-2010, 08:46 PM

McBride was on course for player of the year if he hadn't got injured.

HibbyKeith
08-06-2010, 08:46 PM
not exactly inspired by this to be honest.

lets not get too downbeat just yet though, if you go by posts on here, we already signed hartley, oconnor, & hart last friday and we all know how that turned out.

pinch of salt until proven otherwise.

Barney McGrew
08-06-2010, 08:47 PM
If that's the kind of quality you want for Hibs thank **** you aint in charge.

McBride did a good job for us last season, Cregg was only ever signed as a squad player and has now moved on.

Barr and Arfield would have been good additions IMO, one's a full internationist and one's been an U-21 regular and will go on to better things if he continues to develop. There's no doubting that they would have been an improvement on what we had last season, but they've chosen to go elsewhere.

I haven't seen O'Brien for ages, from what I remember it's pretty much the same as everyone else - decent touch, but lightweight. Whether that's still the case now I don't know, but I'd agree there's other types/positions that are a far bigger priority.

SalfordHibs
08-06-2010, 08:48 PM
McBride was on course for player of the year if he hadn't got injured.

In your opinion mate and your entitled to it, mine is the opposite.

Mcbride is a nothing player. Never looks like scoring a goal, never creates a goal and is easily out muscled in midfield. He is good at passing to his own team but mainly in our own half. O'brien is another weak midfield player. Not quick, can't tackle, doesn't create much, doesn't score and will add nothing to our team.

My thoughts exactly.

SalfordHibs
08-06-2010, 08:49 PM
McBride did a good job for us last season, Cregg was only ever signed as a squad player and has now moved on.

Barr and Arfield would have been good additions IMO, one's a full internationist and one's been an U-21 regular and will go on to better things if he continues to develop. There's no doubting that they would have been an improvement on what we had last season, but they've chosen to go elsewhere.

I haven't seen O'Brien for ages, from what I remember it's pretty much the same as everyone else - decent touch, but lightweight. Whether that's still the case now I don't know, but I'd agree there's other types/positions that are a far bigger priority.

We will agree to disagree on this.

.Sean.
08-06-2010, 08:52 PM
:rolleyes:

You no see much of him before he picked up the injury which ravaged the second half of his season?

SalfordHibs
08-06-2010, 08:54 PM
:rolleyes:

You no see much of him before he picked up the injury which ravaged the second half of his season?

See two posts up mate.

Removed
08-06-2010, 08:58 PM
Mcbride is a nothing player

You slaver so much pish it is unbelievable.

SalfordHibs
08-06-2010, 08:59 PM
You slaver so much pish it is unbelievable.

I suppose others who have said the same do aswell :bye:

Wotherspiniesta
08-06-2010, 09:04 PM
In your opinion mate and your entitled to it, mine is the opposite.

My thoughts exactly.

Where were you at the start of last season?

As someone already pointed out, McBride was brilliant before his injury and was the most important player in our team during our unbeaten run.

SalfordHibs
08-06-2010, 09:06 PM

As someone already pointed out, McBride was brilliant before his injury and was the most important player in our team during our unbeaten run.

Would rather have Liam Craig at St Johnstone.

MyJo
08-06-2010, 09:06 PM

no the others that say the same are 14........says it all really

heidtheba
08-06-2010, 09:07 PM
Wasn't there some link between O'Brien and Juve waaay back? Or am I imagining things?
:confused:

seanraff07
08-06-2010, 09:12 PM

He wasn't a member on this.:greengrin:devil:

SalfordHibs
08-06-2010, 09:15 PM
He wasn't a member on this.:greengrin:devil:

:greengrin

Del Boy
08-06-2010, 09:17 PM
Did Hughes see him play last season? cos he was murder!!

really dont rate the guy, but we'll see.

bingo70
08-06-2010, 09:19 PM
Got to admit that although i'm normally pretty optimistic when it comes to new signings and have for most of the season defended Yogi i am a little concerned this might be true.

I remember he had potential, but that was about a hundred years ago, i would prefer yogi unearthed a young player from all these reserve games he watches down south that still does that have potential.

I know if he signs it'll be as a squad filler and most likely be Creggs replacement, however all top managers say you don't buy worse than you've got to sit on the bench, buy better than youve got to put your current players on the bench, i'd rather we signed a more reliable defensive midfielder then Mcbride replaced Cregg as the capable squad player that can fill in when your struggling. (I rate Mcbride BTW i just don't think he plays enough games in too important a position to be relied on)

Apologies for the negatvity, miserable bassa that i am :greengrin

sesoim
08-06-2010, 11:57 PM

Unfortunately I didn't get along to any games in the first half of last season, so I didn't see much of the McBride that some folk were raving about. Can I ask what McBride's main qualities are, ie does he set up or score goals, make tackles, go on mazy runs with the ball etc?

Hibernian Verse
08-06-2010, 11:58 PM
Unfortunately I didn't get along to any games in the first half of last season, so I didn't see much of the McBride that some folk were raving about. Can I ask what McBride's main qualities are, ie does he set up or score goals, make tackles, go on mazy runs with the ball etc?

Breaks up play and makes the simple pass. Something we'd been crying out for.

.Sean.
09-06-2010, 05:51 AM
He breaks up the play, can often start an attack, rarely loses possession, is always available for a pass and he looks like a leader in midfield, always getting others up for it and encouraging them. All in all perfect foil in the middle of the park for Liam Miller and his work alows flair players such as Zemmama to do theres.

HFC 0-7
09-06-2010, 08:25 AM
He breaks up the play, can often start an attack, rarely loses possession, is always available for a pass and he looks like a leader in midfield, always getting others up for it and encouraging them. All in all perfect foil in the middle of the park for Liam Miller and his work alows flair players such as Zemmama to do theres.

Who are you talking about? McBride or Burton, either way I would have to disagree on a couple of points. Can often start an attack? Both players lack any creativity or vision to make a killer ball or start an attack. Both players can pass and hold onto the ball, but all to often it is in their half. Both players in my opinion are lacking a decent physical presence and although they try their heart out against a physical side they are no match.

McBride and O'brien are players that do the donkey work, run about all over the place, Hibs IMO have enough of these types of players. In Midfield we need a player with vision that can start a decent attack off or know when to put the foot on the ball and slow play down. I thought Miller was this type ofplayer but so far I havent seen it from him. He has ability but I think he doesnt know when to use it, hopefully this will just be because it was his first full season back.

Andy74
09-06-2010, 08:30 AM

Yes, but not quite as much as you.

McBride was outstanding last year until his injury. Your opinion doesn't change that.

SalfordHibs
09-06-2010, 08:42 AM
Yes, but not quite as much as you.

McBride was outstanding last year until his injury. Your opinion doesn't change that.

It's all about peoples diffrerent take on things,

As for the comment in bold get a grip :agree:

Wotherspiniesta
09-06-2010, 12:15 PM

:agree: Exactly.

He does the donkey work and is good cover for the defence. He's a holding midfield player. And a very good one at that.

Wotherspiniesta
09-06-2010, 12:17 PM
By the way, I'd be quite disappointed if we signed O'Brien. Would rather we gave Welsh/Currie a chance in the midfield.