PDA

View Full Version : allan sneddon?

andudare2
07-06-2010, 09:03 PM
could anyone help settle an argument re. which postion allan sneddon played in most for hibs?

Barney McGrew
07-06-2010, 09:05 PM
Left back IIRC

3pm
07-06-2010, 09:08 PM
One of the first players that I realised was truly pish. Easter Road was his bogey ground.

Aubenas
07-06-2010, 09:13 PM
Left back and pretty steady as I recall. He scored such a screamer at Fir Park once that I got all excited and pie grease ran right up my arm.:sick::bitchy:

Barney McGrew
07-06-2010, 09:15 PM
Left back and pretty steady as I recall. He scored such a screamer at Fir Park once that I got all excited and pie grease ran right up my arm.:sick::bitchy:

He also scored a ripper on the volley at Tannadice in the mid 80s.

Beauty :agree:

hibbie02
07-06-2010, 09:25 PM
Ah Cyclops! :greengrin

Hiber-nation
07-06-2010, 09:28 PM
I say right back. Played left back occasionally but mostly on the right. I remember his debut in a defeat at Starks Park in the 1st division. Not the most talented but a great lad and a good servant to Hibs who always gave 100%.

Jonnyboy
07-06-2010, 09:29 PM
I say right back. Played left back occasionally but mostly on the right. I remember his debut in a defeat at Starks Park in the 1st division. Not the most talented but a great lad and a good servant to Hibs who always gave 100%.

:agree:

Twa Cairpets
07-06-2010, 09:30 PM

Did he not get sent off in that game, which we then went on to lose?

i seem to recall him as a left back, but may be wrong.

degenerated
07-06-2010, 09:31 PM
One of the first players that I realised was truly pish. Easter Road was his bogey ground.

i had the same epiphany about Stuart Turnbull, and he truly was pish. made sneddon look like roberto carlos :greengrin

Aubenas
07-06-2010, 09:33 PM
Right back is correct - Rough, Sneddon, Mitchell.........
Should have realised cos I was sitting in the main stand at Fir Park and he shot down the touchline in front of us before lashing it into the goal at what is now the visitors' end. Maybe my memories are coming in mirror form now :bitchy::confused::worried:

Jonnyboy
07-06-2010, 09:36 PM
Did he not get sent off in that game, which we then went on to lose?

i seem to recall him as a left back, but may be wrong.

Lost it 2-0 and Cyclops gave away a pen but I can't remember if he was sent off

hibernian36
07-06-2010, 09:52 PM
i thought he played left back ? Remember my mate telling me in the game against Hearts at Tynie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luB0aej4_rE he had the ball and my mate's dad shouted "Sneddon you couldnae cross a f'n road" , and he duly sent in a perfect cross for Kano to head in. Who could forget Archie's goal in the second half "we're singing in the rain" !!!!!

Winston Ingram
07-06-2010, 09:53 PM
He played alot of games in both full back positions

blackpoolhibs
07-06-2010, 09:56 PM
I'd say more right than left.

NORTHERNHIBBY
07-06-2010, 10:08 PM
Isn't there a pub quiz question about Snoddy because he got two league winners medals in one season? Played enough games for us and Celtic?

Glasgow Hibee
07-06-2010, 10:10 PM

Yup, I remember mainly on the right too. Was decent as a defender but a nightmare with the ball at his feet (not alone as a hibs defender on that count though).

greenlex
07-06-2010, 10:11 PM
Defo full back.:agree:

Jonnyboy
07-06-2010, 10:14 PM

Isn't there a pub quiz question about Snoddy because he got two league winners medals in one season? Played enough games for us and Celtic?

That's right NH - Celtic in the Premier and Hibs in the First

Yup, I remember mainly on the right too. Was decent as a defender but a nightmare with the ball at his feet (not alone as a hibs defender on that count though).

:agree::greengrin

eastmainsmsh
07-06-2010, 10:25 PM
was at Alans testimonial back in the day versus villa kenny dalglish played up front villa had dwight yorke and cyrille regis was a cracking game :agree:

heretoday
07-06-2010, 10:29 PM
Right back for heavens sake. And he played there for Celtic too. He was a powerful player going forward.

Not so good in defence.

Stantons Angel
07-06-2010, 10:32 PM
He played mostly right back for Hibs and was not a "great" player but agree he gave 100% and was a good servant to Hibs..

His testimonial saw dalgleish feed keith wright to score four goals that night.:agree:

Edina Erin
07-06-2010, 11:23 PM
Seem to remember him scoring a double in a cup game at ER - think it might have been against Alloa.
Anyone confirm?

hibbybrian
08-06-2010, 01:45 AM
Seem to remember him scoring a double in a cup game at ER - think it might have been against Alloa.
Anyone confirm?

:agree: August 15th 1989 in a midweek League Cup game at ER

on the next Saturday we beat Rangers 2-0 with goals from Keith Houchen and Mickey Weir :thumbsup:

jae
08-06-2010, 02:03 AM
Anyone confirm?

Sure this was just before a euro tie and hibs were being watched by our forthcoming opponents.
After the game their "Spy" commented that Snoddy was our danger man and would be the player they would have to look out for.

GreenPJ
08-06-2010, 05:13 AM
was at Alans testimonial back in the day versus villa kenny dalglish played up front villa had dwight yorke and cyrille regis was a cracking game :agree:

It was a cracking game but it was not Dwight Yorke, it was Tony Daley.

MontrealHibs
08-06-2010, 06:14 AM
I too am in the right back camp... I would have said our defence in those days was most frequently Rough, Sneddon, Mitchell, Rae & Hunter.

ronaldo7
08-06-2010, 07:18 AM
I'm in the Wing back camp, left or right:wink:

ahibby
08-06-2010, 07:39 AM
I am sure he was right footed and his position was right back but may have played left back sometimes. Last I heard, he had a pub somewhere in the borders (source Jackie MacNamara circa ten years ago).

allezsauzee
08-06-2010, 07:45 AM
Although he sometimes played left back, he mainly played right back. He was a solid defender, great tackler, but made Van Zanten look silky coming forward......ok maybe a bit harsh but poor distributor of the ball .

IWasThere2016
08-06-2010, 07:57 AM
He played alot of games in both full back positions

aljo7-0
08-06-2010, 08:00 AM
My fondest memory of Allan Sneddon is a bit of a daft one. It was at an evening game at Pittodrie in the mid Eighties. Gordon Durie got sent off in the game and the ref was a real sheep that night. At one point with tempers pretty frayed Sneddon went to take a throw in, the ref told him to move back a bit, which Allan did, but then booked him for sarcastically pointing to a specific blade of grass. Booked for sarcasm - I went off my head at the time but find it quite funny now.

southfieldshibby
08-06-2010, 08:02 AM

Keith Wright scored all 4 Hibs goals in a 4 - 2 win. Ron Atkinson was Villa manager and Andy Gray was his assistant

heretoday
08-06-2010, 08:02 AM
Hibs used to get some ex-Celtic and Rangers guys in the 70/80s. Mainly Celtic. Snedds was one.

Conroy, McNamara, Henderson, et al....

Can anyone think of others?

Golden Bear
08-06-2010, 08:04 AM
He tried to be a right back.

I'll say no more.

hibeg
08-06-2010, 08:33 AM
Hibs used to get some ex-Celtic and Rangers guys in the 70/80s. Mainly Celtic. Snedds was one.

Conroy, McNamara, Henderson, et al....

Can anyone think of others?

swapped the classy Ian Munro for graham fyfe and ally scott from the Huns. Not our best deal:bitchy:

The Silver Fox
08-06-2010, 08:45 AM
Definitely right back mostly but filled in at left back on occassion where he was less adept. For Celtic he was almost exclusively a right back at the tail end of McGrain's career who had strangely enough played more on the left side as he came up to retirement. A steady enough player and was an honest hard working pro. I last saw him a couple of years ago at Stirling Uni taking the Falkirk U17s. Good to see an ex pro assisting others in trying to break through in the game.

hibbybrian
08-06-2010, 09:06 AM
He played a lot of games in both full back positions

Snods played around 200 games at right back up to the start of season 1988-89 and then switched to left back for under 100 games with GBH then Kano and finally Willie Miller at right back.

He also played a few games in the half back line 1990-92 including one at centre half.

basehibby
08-06-2010, 09:13 AM
I remember him scoring 2 (TWO) goals from Left Back in a cup match - vs Stirling Albion or something - some of the more critical Hibees on the East terracing had to be treated with smelling salts IIRC - the shock of witnessing Sned's match winning performance being too much for them.

eastmainsmsh
08-06-2010, 12:47 PM
Keith Wright scored all 4 Hibs goals in a 4 - 2 win. Ron Atkinson was Villa manager and Andy Gray was his assistant

Keith keith is my hero ..... used to love when he he let the ball run through his legs then the turn and offski real quality player ... he used to link up well with jackson .......

Sneddon loved that night .... great servant to hibs

NOLA
08-06-2010, 02:12 PM

I remember turning to my mate at the start of the game and saying "that Tony Daley's meant to be quick" sproule on turbo!!!

stanton_4
08-06-2010, 03:17 PM
i thought he played left back ? Remember my mate telling me in the game against Hearts at Tynie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luB0aej4_rE he had the ball and my mate's dad shouted "Sneddon you couldnae cross a f'n road" , and he duly sent in a perfect cross for Kano to head in. Who could forget Archie's goal in the second half "we're singing in the rain" !!!!!

Ha... my brother's regular shout to him was "Sneddon... ah wudnae gie you a game down the links" lol
I thought he was left back... and was his debut not against Raith Rovers? I can definitely remember seeing him at left back in that game although my memory might be failing me regarding that being his debut.

mjhibby
08-06-2010, 04:10 PM
I remember he played quite a few games at left back.If hunter was injured (hamstring iirc)the highly underrated graham mitchell moved into central defence and snedds would move to left back.Im sure also kano and eddie may took turns at rb and snedds played left back or maybe age is catching up me.

weecounty hibby
08-06-2010, 04:56 PM
He was definetly a right back but did play a fair amount of times at leftback..
This thread sums Hibs fans up for me. "He was pish" etc. You know what, maybe he wasn't the best full back weve ever had but he never and I mean NEVER gave less than 100%. He played in Hibs teams who continually struggled and he was what we needed at the time, a trier who never gave up. I would have nothing negative to say about the guy as a player, other than he was no more than an average journey man.

Darth Hibbie
08-06-2010, 05:04 PM
He was definetly a right back but did play a fair amount of times at leftback..
This thread sums Hibs fans up for me. "He was pish" etc. You know what, maybe he wasn't the best full back weve ever had but he never and I mean NEVER gave less than 100%. He played in Hibs teams who continually struggled and he was what we needed at the time, a trier who never gave up. I would have nothing negative to say about the guy as a player, other than he was no more than an average journey man.

He was one of my favourite players when I was a boy.

JohnScott
08-06-2010, 05:07 PM

Your talking pish pal. Sneddon was OK. There's been a lot worse than him in Hibees green and your one of them!

hibbybrian
08-06-2010, 05:41 PM
Your talking pish pal. Sneddon was OK. There's been a lot worse than him in Hibees green

:agree: Wendy Turnbull :grr: was left back for some time when Alan was right back - enough said :greengrin

in-me-pocket
08-06-2010, 06:59 PM
Your talking pish pal. Sneddon was OK. There's been a lot worse than him in Hibees green and your one of them!

100% correct. Can't believe some of the drivel people come out with .

3 facts for you ...

Sneddon was a right back
Sneddon was not a bad player
The penalty at Raith Rovers is still THE worst decision I've ever seen. Never a penalty in a month of Sundays.

Mibbes Aye
08-06-2010, 07:04 PM
I remember he played quite a few games at left back.If hunter was injured (hamstring iirc)the highly underrated graham mitchell moved into central defence and snedds would move to left back.Im sure also kano and eddie may took turns at rb and snedds played left back or maybe age is catching up me.

He wouldn't be in the running for the greatest LB we've ever had but he was a decent player and like you say, underrated. Had a lot of time for Mitchell.

heretoday
08-06-2010, 08:32 PM

What happened to Big Ron? Surely he's done his time for the racist remark! I miss his sparkling wit and turn of phrase. He would be a welcome asset to the WC panel which promises the usual anodyne boredom.