PDA

View Full Version : Straiton

.Sean.
07-06-2010, 08:10 PM
Found this video just now. As I was very young at the time of these proposals i've only just realised how close the club were to moving away from Easter Road.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eFijrAd9-s&feature=related

hibs0666
07-06-2010, 08:22 PM
First time I've seen Dougie Cromb spouting that ****** for years and years. Smashing wee video that. :thumbsup:

lyonhibs
07-06-2010, 08:26 PM
Good god - Straiton and Ingliston as the homes of Hibs and Hearts.

The mind boggles :dizzy::shocked::no way:

ionahibby
07-06-2010, 08:31 PM
Yeah remember when that happened , lived in burdiehouse in the time so was just down the road. Sure it was something to do with the land not being suitable for building after surveying caused it to fall through if i remember might be wrong though!

This is my first post so hi to all!

HibeeMcGinn1
07-06-2010, 08:50 PM
Found this video just now. As I was very young at the time of these proposals i've only just realised how close the club were to moving away from Easter Road.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eFijrAd9-s&feature=related

Never really knew we were so close to moving away. I think the way we have done the redevelopment of ER is the correct way, in stages when we had the money. For the life of me I struggle to understand how any hibs fan can moan about Petrie. The man is a legend.

Lofarl
07-06-2010, 08:58 PM
Good find sean. I can mind being rather excited as a laddie about that move. Oh how times change. Funny seeing how the old stadium looked then it cutting to yambolands main stand. Oh the irony. Dougie Cromb talking about a 20000 all seater stand too

bawheid
07-06-2010, 08:58 PM
The vid says Tynecastle will undergo major redevelopment. Anyone know how that's coming along?

hibs0666
07-06-2010, 09:02 PM
The vid says Tynecastle will undergo major redevelopment. Anyone know how that's coming along?

Don't believe everything you see on the telly. :wink:

CraigHibee
07-06-2010, 09:04 PM
Never really knew we were so close to moving away. I think the way we have done the redevelopment of ER is the correct way, in stages when we had the money. For the life of me I struggle to understand how any hibs fan can't moan about Petrie.

petrie has done a fantastic job! i salute the tash :thumbsup: :notworthy:

you just need to look across the city to see how a club should NOT be run

CraigHibee
07-06-2010, 09:06 PM

last i heard they were going to build an amazing super duper main stand to hold some of their 400,000 fans...

hang on.... :greengrin

ionahibby
07-06-2010, 09:16 PM

Will never happen, vlad will keep telling the yams what thet want to hear.
My jambo friends keep telling me they will have a new stand next season!:faf:

blairwallace
07-06-2010, 09:22 PM
found this and posted it on hibeesbounce, shows just how many people float between both websites

TheEastTerrace
07-06-2010, 09:38 PM
First time I've seen Dougie Cromb spouting that ****** for years and years. Smashing wee video that. :thumbsup:

Nevermind Dougie Cromb, how Chick Young is still haunting the TV and radio I'll never understand :confused:

seanraff07
07-06-2010, 09:42 PM
last i heard they were going to build an amazing super duper main stand to hold some of their 400,000 fans...

hang on.... :greengrin

I heard that the 400,000 seater stand isn't going ahead now after plans were disrupted once they found out they still couldn't get 100-watt lightbulbs for it.

Godsahibby
07-06-2010, 09:44 PM
I'm pretty sure the reason it didnt go ahead. like an earlier poster said was beacuase the land wasn't suitable, something to do with old mine shafts running underneath the area.

ionahibby
07-06-2010, 09:46 PM
Nevermind Dougie Cromb, how Chick Young is still haunting the TV and radio I'll never understand :confused:

Did'nt even know he had been working for the beeb that long, he is one pain in the backside though never liked him!

Aubenas
07-06-2010, 09:57 PM
It was a weird time when Straiton was on the cards. Nobody wanted to leave Easter Rd, but the ground was an embarrassment and we had no money. There was a thought that the cash from the sale of the ground plus a brand new stadium might just regenerate us. We were, in terms of status, probably below where Motherwell are now - ridiculous for a club like Hibs. I remember reluctantly thinking 'If it has to be, it has to be'. At the time, only McDiarmid Park was a model for ring road stadia (though it's actually a walk from town, unlike Straiton) and there was a feeling that maybe that was the way forward, with lots of experts explaining traffic movements and how quick we could get in and out!!!! Folk did worry about matchday pints though. As Broadwood, Airdrie and others have shown, it's a nightmare in reality.

A number of things happened: there was a requirement for road realignment at the junction which would have been costly and difficult; the site wasn't too solid; locals were less than chuffed, and I think that STF and others who had taken over the club in a kind of detached way started to get an idea of what it meant to the local community, and how important the traditions were at E R. It also became obvious that Hibs were so gash at the time there was some doubt about how many folk would bother going out there.

The long view proved correct; hail the tache and STF!:agree:

Jonnyboy
07-06-2010, 10:11 PM
It was a weird time when Straiton was on the cards. Nobody wanted to leave Easter Rd, but the ground was an embarrassment and we had no money. There was a thought that the cash from the sale of the ground plus a brand new stadium might just regenerate us. We were, in terms of status, probably below where Motherwell are now - ridiculous for a club like Hibs. I remember reluctantly thinking 'If it has to be, it has to be'. At the time, only McDiarmid Park was a model for ring road stadia (though it's actually a walk from town, unlike Straiton) and there was a feeling that maybe that was the way forward, with lots of experts explaining traffic movements and how quick we could get in and out!!!! Folk did worry about matchday pints though. As Broadwood, Airdrie and others have shown, it's a nightmare in reality.

A number of things happened: there was a requirement for road realignment at the junction which would have been costly and difficult; the site wasn't too solid; locals were less than chuffed, and I think that STF and others who had taken over the club in a kind of detached way started to get an idea of what it meant to the local community, and how important the traditions were at E R. It also became obvious that Hibs were so gash at the time there was some doubt about how many folk would bother going out there.

The long view proved correct; hail the tache and STF!:agree:

:agree: to all of that.

There was a significant level of opposition from the fans and I know all the guys at the old Hibs Monthly were prime movers in respect of that opposition.

Thank the Lord we never ended up out there and that we now have such a fantastic ER :thumbsup:

Ritchie
08-06-2010, 07:47 AM
at the time i was young and selfish, and as i was from penicuik i was hoping it would go ahead, but now that i'm a bit older i'm relieved we didnt leave ER, its where we belong. :agree:

I'm pretty sure the reason it didnt go ahead. like an earlier poster said was beacuase the land wasn't suitable, something to do with old mine shafts running underneath the area.

correct, straiton is riddled with limestone mines, my company was involed in the straiton park and ride job and there is still legal discussions over damage caused to the cottages on straiton roads due to settlement all because of the mines.

Peevemor
08-06-2010, 07:55 AM
What's 'funny' is that we've ended up by having an almost identical stadium to the one proposed at Straiton.

cockneymike
08-06-2010, 08:03 AM
I would suggest that this was not STF or Petrie's finest hour when it came to their involvement at Hibs as they were the primary movers on these deals. If my memory serves, STF owned the land, and it was felt that his idea to move Hibs was as a means of increasing customer numbers for the retail park he was hoping to build there.

In the end I don't think it was a 'see sense' moment, but a 'wee can't get planning permission or financing' moment that actually stopped it from happening.

TBF to STF and RP in the intervening period their sense of what is best for the club has become far more in tune with us, as supporters, and as a result things have improved immeasurably, and we can all be pleased with that. This has taken time however.

jacomo
08-06-2010, 08:15 AM
Yeah remember when that happened , lived in burdiehouse in the time so was just down the road. Sure it was something to do with the land not being suitable for building after surveying caused it to fall through if i remember might be wrong though!

This is my first post so hi to all!

Welcome! :thumbsup:

jacomo
08-06-2010, 08:16 AM
What's 'funny' is that we've ended up by having an almost identical stadium to the one proposed at Straiton.

The video says that plans were modelled on Anderlecht's stadium.

This is what it looks like now, I like the filled-in corners :wink:

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/europe/belgium/brussels_anderlecht1.jpg

The Silver Fox
08-06-2010, 08:57 AM
Pretty happy the way things have turned out in the long run. Out of town stadiums are for USA where they build a shopping mall. Nowhere for a pint and a place to meet up. Much better where we are now. And you never know maybe the wee team in Edinburgh will get a corrogated iron cover and some new bench seats for their new stand to completed their shoed-in stadium. I'm surprised they never took away the remnants of the old covered east terracing. That would have given them a good start.

NAE NOOKIE
08-06-2010, 05:52 PM
The video says that plans were modelled on Anderlecht's stadium.

This is what it looks like now, I like the filled-in corners :wink:

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/europe/belgium/brussels_anderlecht1.jpg

No reason that ER wont look like that one day. Even if the corners were filled in without being curved like the bottom right hand corner at Anderlecht, it would still be brilliant.

C'mon tache, get it sorted :greengrin