PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Post slaverings

givescotlandfreedom
06-06-2010, 02:17 AM
Did anyone see the Sunday Post headline that Celtc are "set to give Stokes a second chance"? Apart from the fact the Sunday Post is an embarrassing joke of a paper it's typical of the media's arrogance to claim they can pick and choose who they'll have - especially as it may come to a surprise to them but Stokes is under contract to Hibernian. Who says Hibs would sell to Celtc and more importantly could they even afford him? I remember Fletcher wanted to go there and I bet he'd be spewing if he was at that laughing stock of a club now instead of playing in the big stage. Not surprising but dream on Celtc they wasted 45k a week paying a guy to win them nothing so doubt they'll match the tache's valuation now! Full article here http://www.sundaypost.com/sport1.htm

1875godsgift
06-06-2010, 02:30 AM
Did anyone see the Sunday Post headline that Celtc are "set to give Stokes a second chance"? Apart from the fact the Sunday Post is an embarrassing joke of a paper it's typical of the media's arrogance to claim they can pick and choose who they'll have - especially as it may come to a surprise to them but Stokes is under contract to Hibernian. Who says Hibs would sell to Celtc and more importantly could they even afford him? I remember Fletcher wanted to go there and I bet he'd be spewing if he was at that laughing stock of a club now instead of playing in the big stage. Not surprising but dream on Celtc they wasted 45k a week paying a guy to win them nothing so doubt they'll match the tache's valuation now! Full article here http://www.sundaypost.com/sport1.htm

Dream on, the great unwashed!
Hopefully there is no hope in hell that any of our young talent is going to languish on the benches of the infirm ever again.
If we are going to sell, as sell we must at times, then we have have to sell to clubs who are solvent.
:bye: Celtc, hertz, rankers

Cameron1875
06-06-2010, 03:15 AM
If stokes was to leave it would sicken me if it was to an old firm side. I am probably not the only one but i would rather we sold a player for a little less than they are worth if it meant them having a crack at the english leagues etc

Big90inOz
06-06-2010, 04:13 AM
Bought that paper every week untill they backed Mercer's takeover of our club, never bought or even looked at a copy after that. Mind you I haven't had the chance to even glance at the rag for the last 9 yrs :greengrin
Can't even bring myself to look at the link

ChilliEater
06-06-2010, 04:59 AM
Bought that paper every week untill they backed Mercer's takeover of our club, never bought or even looked at a copy after that. Mind you I haven't had the chance to even glance at the rag for the last 9 yrs :greengrin

Bet you miss "Oor Wullie" though. :greengrin

Auckland Hibs
06-06-2010, 05:55 AM

That will be £3m + please soap-dodgers

IWasThere2016
06-06-2010, 05:56 AM
Of course there could be a clause with a specific value triggering his release! I would imagine that any young player taking a step down - as Stokes did - would have such protection in his contract.

hibiedude
06-06-2010, 06:00 AM
IF Lennon gets the Celtic's managers job then Stokes who scored 22 goals for us would be an automatic choice for Lennon- Stokes has always had great talent and as he's proven this season he knows how to score goals.

I would hate for Stokes to join Celtic but he's already been in England and didn't enjoy his time there so I can't see him ging back down there anytime soon.

I think he has played his last SPL game for Hibs I hope i'm wrong but if Celtic make a decent offer then Watching stokes in a celtic top next season will be something i'm looking forward to seeing.

Auckland Hibs
06-06-2010, 06:17 AM
IF Lennon gets the Celtic's managers job then Stokes who scored 22 goals for us would be an automatic choice for Lennon- Stokes has always had great talent and as he's proven this season he knows how to score goals.

I would hate for Stokes to join Celtic but he's already been in England and didn't enjoy his time there so I can't see him ging back down there anytime soon.

I think he has played his last SPL game for Hibs I hope i'm wrong but if Celtic make a decent offer then Watching stokes in a celtic top next season will be something i'm looking forward to seeing.

WTF ?! :grr:

I'd be pretty pissed off TBH.

Beefster
06-06-2010, 06:39 AM

One of the strangest things I've read on here for a long time.

H18sry
06-06-2010, 06:44 AM

What a strange statement from a so called Hibs fan, if Stokes was to leave us to go along the M8 I would be well pi$$ed off :grr:

Auckland Hibs
06-06-2010, 06:48 AM
One of the strangest things I've read on here for a long time.

I can only imagine that there's a "not" missing from the sentence?? :bitchy:

Chuckie
06-06-2010, 07:14 AM

I can only imagine it's yet another spewing jambo troll unable to contain themselves.

heretoday
06-06-2010, 07:19 AM
The Sunday Post has a long and proud tradition of printing authentic Scots gibberish.

Auckland Hibs
06-06-2010, 07:19 AM
I can only imagine it's yet another spewing jambo troll unable to contain themselves.

A Yam with 3800+ posts, very sad if true.

DC_Hibs
06-06-2010, 07:24 AM
I wonder if he would feel the same if Stokes went to Rangers? If not, why not?
They are like two peas in a pod.

hibiedude
06-06-2010, 07:25 AM

Let's put the record straight before the muppets get there knives out

As you have pointed out I have missed the word NOT before I posted on my iPod touch it should have read not looking forward to stokes in a hoops top

so please can some people wind there necks in and go look for a new issue to get upset about

CB_NO3
06-06-2010, 07:31 AM
Nothing to worry about, the old firm cant afford to sign Hibs players, fact.

hibiedude
06-06-2010, 07:31 AM
A Yam with 3800+ posts, very sad if true.

Hibiedude is a hearts fan LOL

I'll need to change my car registration plate I've been rumbled :greengrin

Auckland Hibs
06-06-2010, 07:33 AM

As you have pointed out I have missed the word NOT before I posted on my iPod touch it should have read not looking forward to stokes in a hoops top

so please can some people wind there necks in and go look for a new issue to get upset about

Yam statement withdrawn :bye:

hibiedude
06-06-2010, 07:34 AM
I wonder if he would feel the same if Stokes went to Rangers? If not, why not?
They are like two peas in a pod.

Does the article say the Huns are interested in signing stokes ?

Kaiser1962
06-06-2010, 07:40 AM

For a guy that gives 20 goals a season in the SPL I think if smeltic want him the tache will start at £5m. Stokes owes Yogi big time and I think we may get a couple of years yet.

mjhibby
06-06-2010, 07:51 AM
I think it would be better for some peoples blood pressure to ignore any speculation until a player signs or leaves the club.The papers are full of nonsense stories and will be right up until the end of the window(deeks to gers anyone,remember chicks exclusive).I think because hertz have signed a player some people seem to think thats it over for the transfer window and we should be rushing into a signing.And of course all the speculation around deeks and now stokes means we will be left with nish.I doubt either of them will go or if one of them does im sure it will only be when yogi has someone else lined up.The days of us bowing to the infirm are ,fortunately, gone forever. The transfer market hasnt started yet and once players hols are out of the way then we will get players agents deciding where they are going.
By the end of the window kyles transfer could well look a very poor bit of business when we see who other teams sign so lets just wait and see.I must admit it is getting worse with the stories the papers are coming up with.Bamba to go for £1m.Please be serious.It will be £1.5-2m before rod even conciders it.The only headline i believe is the one saying we have sold or signed a player.the rest is just to fill space in the papers and a lot of it is just picked up from fans websites.You only have to look at the varying amounts papers have said regards what we will get for fletcher going to wolves.The scotsman says 0.5m the express 750,000 and others £1m.How come they dont have the same amount,because they dont know and make it up.Its easy enough to find out,just ask fletcher agent what the % was and go from there.Logic says its between £600,000 and 700,000 but no papers seems to give an exact amount.Ah the summer papers,dont you just love them.

weecounty hibby
06-06-2010, 08:02 AM
:top marksSpot on, journalists are lazy during the season and in the close season have nothing better to do than look at .net etc and football rumours and then print them. Only when I see a quote from Rod or Yogi will I believe a transfer story. And as is the Hibs way for a good few years now, it will most likely be when the deal is done.

Diclonius
06-06-2010, 08:05 AM
Hibs should adopt a policy, at least in private, of not selling to the Old Firm whatever the price.

There are plenty clubs down south willing to pay the same, if not more.

If these players are so adamant to join their newly appointed boyhood heroes, they can shut up and wait until the end of their contract.

It's time for someone to stand up to the Old Firm's bullying.

weecounty hibby
06-06-2010, 08:12 AM
Hibs should adopt a policy, at least in private, of not selling to the Old Firm whatever the price.

There are plenty clubs down south willing to pay the same, if not more.

If these players are so adamant to join their newly appointed boyhood heroes, they can shut up and wait until the end of their contract.

It's time for someone to stand up to the Old Firm's bullying.
Rod is the man, remember the daily Records campaign to get Fletch to Celtic. Rod will only sell to the OF if it is for top dollar.

stubru59
06-06-2010, 08:26 AM
Its that time of the year again. World cup not yet started and things are generally quiet on the sport front.

Despite spending millions on players and a failed management team Celtic achieved sweet FA.
Answer to that is to get your PR dept to file stories to the ever hungry press.

Season tickets sales increase on the back of alleged transfer targets and it helps that fans minds are diverted from the miseries of the season just past.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
06-06-2010, 08:49 AM

:greengrin

Jones28
06-06-2010, 08:55 AM

Is there not a clause in his contract that says he can discuss terms if an offer of £2million + comes in? Same with Liam Miller I think

NORTHERNHIBBY
06-06-2010, 09:27 AM
I have an unpleasant sneaky feeling that this story has legs. In one sense, it is good that other teams look at our players cos we must be doing something right. 2 million plus for Stokes would be a huge return after only one season but losing hm and Deeks perhaps at the same time would be a helluva dunt to get over. As the piece points out though, a contract until 2012 means he is going nowhere unless it benefits us as well and our Iron Tache at the helm has shown that no amount of press leverage will force him into a knee jerk reaction. We can't be a well run model club that doesn't need to sell through the week and then be club needing money by the weekend.

Oscar Lomax
06-06-2010, 09:31 AM
I posted age's ago that this was a done deal and i'll stand by that.

tamig
06-06-2010, 09:54 AM
Of course there could be a clause with a specific value triggering his release! I would imagine that any young player taking a step down - as Stokes did - would have such protection in his contract.

If so, I'm sure RP would have been the one calling the shots as to what any figure was.

Auckland Hibs
06-06-2010, 10:01 AM
I have an unpleasant sneaky feeling that this story has legs. In one sense, it is good that other teams look at our players cos we must be doing something right. 2 million plus for Stokes would be a huge return after only one season but losing hm and Deeks perhaps at the same time would be a helluva dunt to get over. As the piece points out though, a contract until 2012 means he is going nowhere unless it benefits us as well and our Iron Tache at the helm has shown that no amount of press leverage will force him into a knee jerk reaction. We can't be a well run model club that doesn't need to sell through the week and then be club needing money by the weekend.

Didn't we pay £500-£600k for Stokes? - £2m is not a huge return IMO :grr:

Spike Mandela
06-06-2010, 10:04 AM
Celtic short of cash + Hibs player has good season = Player transfer to Celtic.

This formula has been used for years and the Celtic manager needs no scouting skill or contacts. Any one of us could plan this move even a Sunday Post journalist.

Rod has the power to increase the price they pay or in the case of Fletcher resist them all together but still they come back for easy pickings.

I suspect like other posters that there may be a trigger value in Stokes' contract.

Edinburgh Green
06-06-2010, 10:09 AM
So he's just hanging about Easter road for a laugh, then? Pish.

Keith_M
06-06-2010, 11:12 AM

Bet you miss "Oor Wullie" though. :greengrin

What? Have you only got one between you?

:wink:

Phil MaGlass
06-06-2010, 11:16 AM
if I was Hughes I would be telling Stokes he could do alot better than sellik and hangfire until a team from engrrrland comes in for him.Oh aye it would be suicidal to get rid of our two top goalscorers in one go.

crewetollhibee
06-06-2010, 11:28 AM
[QUOTE=keekaboo;2486538]What? Have you only got one between you?

Nearly spewed coffee over the lap-top !!!! :top marks

crewetollhibee
06-06-2010, 11:37 AM
When the weegie press cover an announcment from that pair stating publicly that they will NOT sign any players from other SPL clubs, (to help with a more competitive league), then it might just be a story worth reading. Not anytime soon I would imagine.

houston1875
06-06-2010, 11:37 AM

Are you nuts?? Looking forward to Mr Stokes playing for the Tramps??

crewetollhibee
06-06-2010, 11:40 AM
You better get your taxi phoned mate. Check the whole thread !!!!!

houston1875
06-06-2010, 11:42 AM
You better get your taxi phoned mate. Check the whole thread !!!!!

Just did,thanks for reminding me..mate!!

hibiedude
06-06-2010, 12:13 PM

That's what happens we you DONT read the whole thread

grunt
06-06-2010, 12:19 PM
Heh heh. 300% profit after just one year? If that's not a huge return then I don't know what is.

hibiedude
06-06-2010, 12:20 PM
Yam statement withdrawn :bye:

At last we have a gentleman on hibs.net

people can call me what they like but FFS never call me a jambo that's one step to far :greengrin

getting back to the Stokes issue this story will only pick up pace if Lennon is confirmed as the next Tic manager

TRC
06-06-2010, 12:27 PM

Reputed sum of 200k so not bad, 10/1 bet!

cockneymike
06-06-2010, 01:02 PM
The way the article is written I reckon there's something to this.

It looks like the journo's had an off the record chat with Lennon - no mention of Celtic sources etc, just Lennon - so if lennon gets the job, and that's looking quite likely. Then you'd imagine, that they'd come in with an offer, but they don't want to pay the going rate, which £2m+ is, so instead they plant a story in the press to try and unsettle stokes, thereby putting the squeeze on Petrie.

The funny thing is they tried the same nonsense with Brown, and they ended up having to break the Scottish transfer record, so you'd have thought that they'd no better.

Typical Lennon, arrogant t*at thinks he knows better. I'd put my money on the tash in a financial arm wrestle with anyone, but especially against that ginger eejit.

Bad news is though that I wouldn't be surprised if this happens - but we would be well compensated i'd expect.

ChilliEater
06-06-2010, 02:16 PM
What? Have you only got one between you?

:wink:

:tee hee:

Phil D. Rolls
06-06-2010, 06:46 PM
We might get two million, but how much would losing his 20+ goals a season cost us?

houston1875
06-06-2010, 06:57 PM
That's what happens we you DONT read the whole thread

Grammar?
:confused:

houston1875
06-06-2010, 06:58 PM
We might get two million, but how much would losing his 20+ goals a season cost us?

A lot more that 2 million to replace him and his umpteen goals

CRAZYHIBBY
06-06-2010, 07:54 PM
Ahem......http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?180695-Stokes-to-celtic&p=2432869&highlight=#post2432869

Auckland Hibs
07-06-2010, 02:11 AM
The way the article is written I reckon there's something to this.

It looks like the journo's had an off the record chat with Lennon - no mention of Celtic sources etc, just Lennon - so if lennon gets the job, and that's looking quite likely. Then you'd imagine, that they'd come in with an offer, but they don't want to pay the going rate, which £2m+ is, so instead they plant a story in the press to try and unsettle stokes, thereby putting the squeeze on Petrie.

The funny thing is they tried the same nonsense with Brown, and they ended up having to break the Scottish transfer record, so you'd have thought that they'd no better.

Typical Lennon, arrogant t*at thinks he knows better. I'd put my money on the tash in a financial arm wrestle with anyone, but especially against that ginger eejit.

Bad news is though that I wouldn't be surprised if this happens - but we would be well compensated i'd expect.

So McGeady is worth £12.5m according to the unwashed, he scored or set up how how many goals last season? Shirley, Stokes must be worth £3-4m?

Woody1985
07-06-2010, 03:31 PM
I would suggest that the only reason Stokes came back to Scotland and us was/is to engineer a move to Celtic.

He knows that if he has one good season then they'll be all over him since he's a good goalscorer, they've tried to get him before and most importantly he's Irish. They'll definitely need another paddy if McGeady leaves.

hibiedude
07-06-2010, 05:15 PM
Grammar?
:confused:

:bye:

cockneymike
07-06-2010, 05:32 PM
So McGeady is worth £12.5m according to the unwashed, he scored or set up how how many goals last season? Shirley, Stokes must be worth £3-4m?

Well on that basis you're probably right... Only problem is that it's not a russian team that are coming to call on Stokes.