PDA

View Full Version : Potential windfall cash/transfer cash....

Hibernia Na Eir
05-06-2010, 05:30 PM
With our supposed £1m from the Fletch transfer in the bag and another £1m+ from possible sale of Sol Bamba to PSG, does anyone think Yogi will get a larger than planned transfer kitty this summer?

£2m could get us some decent, experienced quality. I hope we dont rush anything and make some real shrewd buys. Its a clubs market now, not a players (well unless your name is Kaka, Messi, Torres etc...)

jgl07
05-06-2010, 05:35 PM
With our supposed £1m from the Fletch transfer in the bag and another £1m+ from possible sale of Sol Bamba to PSG, does anyone think Yogi will get a larger than planned transfer kitty this summer?

£2m could get us some decent, experienced quality. I hope we dont rush anything and make some real shrewd buys. Its a clubs market now, not a players (well unless your name is Kaka, Messi, Torres etc...)
Forget it.

Hibs will not be spending more than nominal amounts on transfer fees.

They will focus on players out of contract and spend the cash on wages.

scoopyboy
05-06-2010, 05:37 PM

I would expect Yogi to have an increased budget but it will be nowhere near 2 million.

Some of the money from Fletcher / Bamba will go to pay for the East Stand. There is a bit of a shortfall and Hibs will pay it from transfer income rather than take up a loan they have in place.

Hibernia Na Eir
05-06-2010, 05:44 PM
i guess when we read that a club who are £35m+ in debt and are still able to sign a player on a £6000 p/w salary, then we should be grateful that we know our club will be operating in years to come.....

lunacy! but, hey-ho, who gives a flying toss about them or their future!

Harpandcastle
05-06-2010, 05:46 PM
Hibs would probably only spend more than nominal amounts if there was a very good chance of a re sale at higher value, which is the correct way to go IMO.

bjsc24671
05-06-2010, 05:49 PM
I would expect Yogi to have an increased budget but it will be nowhere near 2 million.

Some of the money from Fletcher / Bamba will go to pay for the East Stand. There is a bit of a shortfall and Hibs will pay it from transfer income rather than take up a loan they have in place.
i dont think that any of that money will go to the new stand as a source who works in hfc tells me that mr farmer is covering all the stand as he owns everything except the players contracts:thumbsup:

basehibby
05-06-2010, 05:52 PM

I wouldn't expect the transfer policy to change overmuch from recent seasons - there will be spending on the team - but only in so much as can be reasonably afforded. That was the policy last summer though and we got Stokes and Miller amongst others so I'm still looking forward in anticipation.

I know the money for the new east stand was apparently "ring-fenced" but that doesn't necessarilly mean that no debt was incurred - incremental improvements are what we've been told to expect and that's what I'll hope and expect to see this summer.

Hibstrooper
05-06-2010, 06:07 PM
Don't think we'll get anything like £1m sell on for Fletch - probably closer to £0.5m as mentioned in the Evening News earlier in the week. I also think they've been expecting to sell Bamba this summer so may have plans for that money.

No idea how much we'll get for Bamba - anything from £1m if he doesn't play in the World Cup up to £3m if he has a good tournament.

Hibernian Verse
05-06-2010, 06:49 PM
Remember, whilst we're getting 20% of Fletch's fee, we're also giving 20% of Bamba's fee to the Pars.

Hibs On Tour
05-06-2010, 06:57 PM
i dont think that any of that money will go to the new stand as a source who works in hfc tells me that mr farmer is covering all the stand as he owns everything except the players contracts:thumbsup:

Can I be the first to say [IMHO] gash? :greengrin

The details of who/what owns what has been went over in great detail many times before and the bit in bold is just nonsense. STF's involvement [if anything] related to the new East would have been limited to the same as for the FF - i.e. being a guarantor on any debt incurred to cover the cost of building it. However, I don't recall at any stage Hibs stating that this would be necessary in the case of the East, quite the opposite in fact - that the funds were ring-fenced for this and manageable.

Do I smell yam fruit? :cool2:

IWasThere2016
05-06-2010, 07:11 PM
We'll get £600k for the Fletch deal - unless there was an appearence clause as well as a sell-on.

£1.25m for Bamba will net just over £1m.

I imagine Deeks and Zooma might go for fees also. So we should see +£2m - at most we'd spend £500k on sign-ons/fees IMHO.

We still have debt ..

heidtheba
05-06-2010, 07:30 PM
One thing that struck me about the EEN Mercer stuff is the prices we were paying on transfer fees 20 years back. We couldn't come close to whacking that out now. Not a gripe - just an observation.

cad
05-06-2010, 08:05 PM
The stadium is going to finished of in the coming months ,the debts nearly all gone and the training complex is bought and paid for .
Is the whole point not to get and watch better players and improve the squad .
I know in today's market £2-3 Million isn't going to go far but it should put better players on the park how many depends on how much Yogi gets and the deals that can be done ,what else is there to do with the money put it in the bank for a rainy day or in case theres more hard times ahead .
We just went through 20 years of the hard times ,I like to think we have turned the corner we are on the up ,the hard times should never be forgotten but its to the future now, and IMO its the players turn to be upgraded ,within reason likes .

GGTTH

monktonharp
05-06-2010, 08:10 PM
One thing that struck me about the EEN Mercer stuff is the prices we were paying on transfer fees 20 years back. We couldn't come close to whacking that out now. Not a gripe - just an observation.:agree: 0.5m for Keith Wright iirc,but hopefully RP wll release a fair amount ,to sort out our frailties at the back.

Hibs On Tour
05-06-2010, 11:29 PM
The stadium is going to finished of in the coming months ,the debts nearly all gone and the training complex is bought and paid for .
Is the whole point not to get and watch better players and improve the squad .
I know in today's market £2-3 Million isn't going to go far but it should put better players on the park how many depends on how much Yogi gets and the deals that can be done ,what else is there to do with the money put it in the bank for a rainy day or in case theres more hard times ahead .
We just went through 20 years of the hard times ,I like to think we have turned the corner we are on the up ,the hard times should never be forgotten but its to the future now, and IMO its the players turn to be upgraded ,within reason likes .

GGTTH

Think its a question of balancing what we spend on transfer fees [which rightly should only be where necessary] and on ongoing wages/bonuses [heaped on bonuses I would hope].

Having just built the new East you can bet your bottom dollar that RP will be thinking of ways to ensure it gets as close to capacity as often as possible in order to minimise the impact of any borrowing to complete the costs of building it. He's not stupid and he knows that ultimately there is only one thing that will put bums on seats - the team and how well it is playing and how well it is doing.

Shiny seats only get filled if the team performs so I can see RP continuing to back Yogi with what are serious funds lets remember. We've spent more in the past two years than Rangers remember, in fact I think bar Celtic probably more than any other Scottish team. One thing RP can't be accused of is of not backing the managers with dosh. JC got dosh, Mixu got dosh and now Yogi continues to get dosh.

Think it would say volumes potentially if Hibs for once just 'put the shutters up' however on the likes of DR and said, either play out your remaining year and win yourself a move somewhere better by being great or sign an extended deal. £0.5m is not an enormous sum of money, 15-20 goals a season is an enormous difference to our season though. Keeping our best players aligned with strengthening the team could be a great way of ensuring the fans fill those new shiny seats at ER next season!

jgl07
06-06-2010, 12:13 AM
:agree: 0.5m for Keith Wright iirc
That was before the Bosman ruling. If a player was out of contract a tribunal settled the fee to be paid. Hibs got decent money for Pat McGinlay from Celtic under that rule and even got money from Hearts for Brian Hamilton.

A £500,000 player now would come with a £10,000 weekly wage attached.

In the past Hibs paid out cash for the likes of Paul Wright, Darren Jackson, Michael O'Neill, Kevin McAllister. The Bosman ruling stopped all that.

Hibs did pay big cash for UDLC but that was in expectation of a sell on after the World Cup. It worked! The only big money signing I can recall was Riordan returning.

The most Hibs are likely to pay out is £100,000 - £200,000.

Ross4356
06-06-2010, 11:18 PM
:agree: 0.5m for Keith Wright iirc,but hopefully RP wll release a fair amount ,to sort out our frailties at the back.

How could we back in the day afford to pay that for a player?

Im 28 so was young when Keith was signed...

My guess it was due to wages?

I'm sure it couldn't be because we made loads on tv money/sponsorship/ticket money

Can someone enlighten me

truehibernian
06-06-2010, 11:41 PM
I could be wrong but I am sure that STF funded the moves of Keith and Murdo MacLeod with a loan. Will happily stand corrected though.

GhostofBolivar
07-06-2010, 02:11 AM
My understanding is that we get a percentage of the profit Burnley made on selling Fletcher, which is about £3m-£3.5m. So we get somewhere between £500k and £600k.

If anything from that gets kicked back to Yogi, it might be boil down to the difference between playing a guy £3k a week and £4k a week. It doesn't seem huge, but at our level that's a huge difference and could net us someone who can be a key player for us for a couple of seasons.

That's if anything gets added to Yogi's budget. They might already have laid down what he can spend.

Sandy
07-06-2010, 06:25 AM
How could we back in the day afford to pay that for a player?

Im 28 so was young when Keith was signed...

My guess it was due to wages?

I'm sure it couldn't be because we made loads on tv money/sponsorship/ticket money

Can someone enlighten me

TV and sponsorship deals, but in the end we really couldn't afford it, like all clubs we accrued a large debt (17 million ?) that we have struggled to pay off ever since.

Phil MaGlass
07-06-2010, 07:22 AM
Bamba has a good WC, I would be looking for 3 million, Stokes, dont sell to Celtic, sell down south (he can do better than sellik), 3-4 million, I am surprised we havent heard of any interest from english teams, would like to see a bidding war for Stokes, rather than have him leave directly to sellik?

jacomo
07-06-2010, 08:14 AM
I'd expect John Hughes to be given a budget to replace those who leave but - unless a bidding war develops for Bamba or someone else - I can't see a huge increase in the budget this summer.

Hibs may well have been hoping for a £1m+ fee for Zemmama, but now that he's injured I can't see that happening.

If we get to the group stage of the Europa League income will go up substantially, but it's not in Rod's nature to take a gamble on that happening at this stage.

GloryGlory
07-06-2010, 08:38 AM
Bamba has a good WC, I would be looking for 3 million, Stokes, dont sell to Celtic, sell down south (he can do better than sellik), 3-4 million, I am surprised we havent heard of any interest from english teams, would like to see a bidding war for Stokes, rather than have him leave directly to sellik?

They may be put off by his performances the last time he was down there.

Godsahibby
07-06-2010, 08:57 AM

No chance we will get anything close to £3m for Bamba, remeber he is only contracted for another 12 monrhs, possibly if he had a few years left we could hold out for that but in my opinion the most we could expect would be £1.5m.