PDA

View Full Version : David Beckham

stokesmessiah
05-06-2010, 01:37 PM
I am reading on Sky Sports just now that Capello has confirmed Beckhams role at the World Cup is to liase between players and staff !!!

Seriously, what the hell is that????? :confused:

Hibernian Verse
05-06-2010, 01:44 PM
He's there because he has a good influence on the players apparently, which seems to be pretty obvious. I think his role is to go between players and staff keeping everyone happy as far as I can see.

Jack
05-06-2010, 01:48 PM
He can speak Itialian and English :dunno:

Spudster
05-06-2010, 04:41 PM
He can speak Itialian and English :dunno:
Both debatable

DH1875
05-06-2010, 05:53 PM
They are both fluent in Spanish so maybe that's how they talk to each other.

CB_NO3
05-06-2010, 06:02 PM
I think the main reason that Beckham is there is to divert attention from the media to him rather than the players in the squad. It sounds pretty sad, but it is probably a good idea plus as he is the face of world football and probably the most famous football player ever to walk the planet (all be it not for his footballing abilities, although he was a very good player, but not the best).

cocopops1875
05-06-2010, 08:24 PM
To be fair he is a nice guy who is very unlucky to not be there as a player, he has the respect of the team and is an ambassor for english football, he will also most likely do alot of high profile media work in terms of charity over there with kids and people affected by aids, all in all i like beckham and i think its good for them he is going I HOPE THEY GET PUMPED THOUGH:agree:

Irish_Steve
05-06-2010, 08:28 PM
It`s his job to get the half-time pies in, I think he can just about afford them

Judas Iscariot
05-06-2010, 08:30 PM
David Beckham is a legend...

Fact!!!

Seanair
05-06-2010, 08:57 PM
I think the main reason that Beckham is there is to divert attention from the media to him rather than the players in the squad. It sounds pretty sad, but it is probably a good idea plus as he is the face of world football and probably the most famous football player ever to walk the planet (all be it not for his footballing abilities, although he was a very good player, but not the best).

...most famous football player......

Er, I think there was a guy called Pele who scored over 1000 goals, won his first World Cup medal at the age of 17 plus another one 12 years later and was famous all over the world. Beckham is famous for being famous, a bit like Christopher Biggs (but with a wife).:bitchy:

Moody Mulder
05-06-2010, 09:02 PM
vicky will be spewing that all the spotlight is on him:wink:

hibsboy90
05-06-2010, 09:05 PM

Er, I think there was a guy called Pele who scored over 1000 goals, won his first World Cup medal at the age of 17 plus another one 12 years later and was famous all over the world. Beckham is famous for being famous, a bit like Christopher Biggs (but with a wife).:bitchy:

Beckham has played in the era of mass worldwide communication, more people with tvs, radio, internet etc. Alongside replica shirts, and that Becks played with arguably the 2 biggest clubs on the planet. Pele spent 18 years with Santos, we didnt see his match highlights on sky sports news every week.

Pele, may be the better, and more successful player. But in worldwide fame, Beckham wins hands down.

CB_NO3
05-06-2010, 09:13 PM

You are just repeating what I said. And he is one of the most famous people in the world ever. Everyone in the world knows Beckham.

marinello59
05-06-2010, 09:16 PM
Pele, maybe the better player and more successful. But in worldwide fame, Beckham wins hands down.

No maybes. Beckham was nowhere near Pele in terms of ability.

cocopops1875
05-06-2010, 09:39 PM

Christopher Biggs having googled this chap it appears he is not famous at all so a really shan comparison :wink:

LancashireHibby
05-06-2010, 09:55 PM
No comparison in terms of playing ability, but let's be honest here - Beckham is a million times more famous and recognisable than Pele to the non-football fan (by which I mean the fuds with the England car flags etc), though obviously this has been helped immensely by the age in which he has played the game and the technology that makes this a very small world to live in.

vein
05-06-2010, 10:04 PM
No comparison in terms of playing ability, but let's be honest here - Beckham is a million times more famous and recognisable than Pele to the non-football fan (by which I mean the fuds with the England car flags etc), though obviously this has been helped immensely by the age in which he has played the game and the technology that makes this a very small world to live in.

Poppycock!! what about all the men of the world with (ahem) problems rising to the ocassion. Beckham wasnt there for them when Pele was assisting these unfortunate men in rising to the ocassion (via the medium of advesrtising and TV).

CB_NO3
06-06-2010, 08:48 AM
Not sure what point your making, as LancashireHibby said, he is one of the most famous people in the world, even more famous that Tony Blair, Gogs Brown and Mr Obama. No one is saying he was better than Pele so your point is pretty irrelavent.

AK86
06-06-2010, 08:55 AM

Fact!!!
he's a twat

PeterboroHibee
06-06-2010, 09:14 AM
Imagine he will be doing other stuff but they had to give him a title I guess. Sure his main job, as a player the rest of the squad will respect, is to guide the young guys, try and keep their heads level and give them advice on certain situations. Sure hes doing a bit of coaching as well.

Also as someone said, there will be a lot of focus on him, which takes some of the pressure of Capello and the players which is a smart move.

I really like Beckham, was gutted he couldnt go even though Im not a fan of England, and Im sure this sort of role on the sidelines will be fairly tough mentally on him, knowing this will have been his last WC to play, but fair play to him going to help from a coaching point of view.

Richard Scott
06-06-2010, 09:31 AM

Fact!!!

:rockin:

NORTHERNHIBBY
06-06-2010, 09:33 AM
Capello has said that this time round, the WAGS are not allowed to be at the hotel or take part in any of the official functions. Maybe Becks has some sort of service to provide bridging the two camps? Not a detailed remit right enough, but it was enough to have John Terry asking if he could be his deputy.

Tricla
06-06-2010, 10:16 AM

Fact!!!

:sick::sick:

Pretty Boy
06-06-2010, 07:36 PM
he's a twat

How is he a twat?

Because he's successful? English? Played for Man Utd?

I don't know David Beckham personally but i know a few guys over in Afghanistan at the moment and they assure me his visit to see them recently was the best morale boost they have had in months, if not years. They painted a picture of a man who was personable, friendly, genuinely interested in how they were getting on and far more approachable than any of the royals and politicians who have been over. They said he was happy to chat, sign autographs, have photographs taken and stayed far, far longer than his alloted time. He also took the time to sign a thank you letter and picture on behalf of the boys over there to be sent back to the civilian staff in the UK.

But let's ignore that, his charitable work, his good standing amongst his fellow pros, his crossover appeal as an ambassador for football and good causes and say he's a twat because we have read some idle gossip in The Sun.