PDA

View Full Version : Training and injuries

stubru59
05-06-2010, 10:12 AM
Ferdinand reckons he's been cursed with his latest injury. Actually, the reason might be more simple than that.

Having just the day before completed an eleven hour flight, the England management team consider it necessary to get in some practice, lest these talented and super fit players lose any of their ability in the run-up to kick-off a week later.

Now I know injuries can be sustained on the training field at any time, but a practice game exercise less than 24 hours after a long flight is hardly conducive to minimising the risk of injury.

Some gentle jogging and loosening up exercises is one thing, playing a game where players are looking to impress is quite another.

Thoughts?

Perspective
05-06-2010, 12:10 PM
I think the advances in sport science and training methods means that top-level footballers are more finely tuned as athletes than ever before, so more likely to pick up injuries sadly.

The best players who are playing often at a consistently intense level do seem to be breaking down with greater regularity.

Don't think the lightweight football boots favoured by many wingers or strikers help either when it comes to foot injuries.

Hibernian Verse
05-06-2010, 12:24 PM
I think most teams are doing it. Tbh I feel sorry for Ferdinand, English captain or not he's still missing out on what would've been probably the best time of his life.