PDA

View Full Version : "Hibs plan hailed as way forward"

Part/Time Supporter
05-06-2010, 06:17 AM
so says the chairman of Dundee United...

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/output/2010/06/05/sportstory15175304t0.asp

no doubt the good citizens of Juteopolis also peg-selling, caravan-dwelling crack junkies...

:wink:

Pedantic_Hibee
05-06-2010, 06:38 AM
The Jambos willnae like this. But when has realism and consistent thought been a quality of theirs?

Example - around about this time last year they spent a whole summer laughing their cardigans off about us signing a couple of players from a team who "almost got relegated on the last day" (oblivious to the fact they'd just signed Ian Black). This summer they've signed a player from the team that was relegated and are now thrashing one out over another player who's team almost got relegated on the last day. As ever though, due to the fantastic revisionism of these helmets, this counts for nothing and they're good quality players regardless of the team they played for.

Back on topic, well done to the Arab boy for telling us what we, and pretty much everyone else in Scotland bar across the city know, that we are the best run club in Scotland.

Rod Petrie, for the life of me as well, gets abuse that he does not deserve. If it weren't for him, we'd have tens of millions of debt, the same old East Stand and we'd still be training on public parks with the money gained from player sales being spent on overpaid foreigners.

Auckland Hibs
05-06-2010, 07:27 AM
The Jambos willnae like this. But when has realism and consistent thought been a quality of theirs?

Example - around about this time last year they spent a whole summer laughing their cardigans off about us signing a couple of players from a team who "almost got relegated on the last day" (oblivious to the fact they'd just signed Ian Black). This summer they've signed a player from the team that was relegated and are now thrashing one out over another player who's team almost got relegated on the last day. As ever though, due to the fantastic revisionism of these helmets, this counts for nothing and they're good quality players regardless of the team they played for.

Back on topic, well done to the Arab boy for telling us what we, and pretty much everyone else in Scotland bar across the city know, that we are the best run club in Scotland.

Rod Petrie, for the life of me as well, gets abuse that he does not deserve. If it weren't for him, we'd have tens of millions of debt, the same old East Stand and we'd still be training on public parks with the money gained from player sales being spent on overpaid foreigners.

The Tash and STF will be forever Hibs legends IMO.

Due their excent work we are 10 years ahead of every club in Scotland.

matty_f
05-06-2010, 07:34 AM

Even if the Yams hit their break even point in two years (:faf:), that will only stop their debt increasing, they're then going to have to turn that break even into profit to make any sort of dent in the debt.

We're so far ahead of them it's unbelievable.

Bostonhibby
05-06-2010, 07:51 AM

no doubt the good citizens of Juteopolis also peg-selling, caravan-dwelling crack junkies...

They didnae fancy the Yam model then? its a pity, as whilst he's no Romanov, Kim Jong Il the North Korean dictator is rumoured to be on the look out for a club.........Then again the arabs will never win a thing doing it their way...............

Cropley10
05-06-2010, 08:04 AM
Even if the Yams hit their break even point in two years (:faf:), that will only stop their debt increasing, they're then going to have to turn that break even into profit to make any sort of dent in the debt.

We're so far ahead of them it's unbelievable.

Except they've signed Darren Barr and Kevin Kyle, while we're hoping Paul Hartley signs along with a couple of other people I've never heard of tbh.

Judas Iscariot
05-06-2010, 08:12 AM
Except they've signed Darren Barr and Kevin Kyle, while we're hoping Paul Hartley signs along with a couple of other people I've never heard of tbh.

You've never heard of Michael Hart?

stubru59
05-06-2010, 09:28 AM

Neither Barr or Kyle are anything to get excited about. And our rumoured interest in this player or that player are just that - unconfirmed rumours.

Sas_The_Hibby
05-06-2010, 09:48 AM
Stephen Thomson (allegedly!): "What I most admire about the Hibs set-up is its stability and the consistency of self-destructing every season, sometime between December and February. Allied to that is their remarkable Scottish Cup run over the last 108 years..."

:wink::greengrin

H18sry
05-06-2010, 10:49 AM
Hibs plan hailed as way forward
STEPHEN THOMPSON may be the chairman of Dundee United but that does not stop him being a huge fan of Hibs, writes Ian Roache.

Before anyone accuses the Tanna-dice supremo of switching allegiance from his beloved Tangerines, it is the way the Edinburgh club conducts itself off the park not on it that he admires so much.

The Hibees may have been comfortably beaten into third spot in the Premier League by United but there is a lot going right at Easter Road, according to Thompson.

With a new East Stand rising to take its place on the Leith skyline, their 20,000-plus capacity home is about to emerge as arguably the finest football stadium in Scotland outwith Glasgow.

They are rightly proud of their sound finances, which stand in stark contrast to deeply in debt city rivals Hearts.

Over the years, Hibs have also found themselves with a talented young team often regarded as the best outwith the Old Firm.

That is exactly the position United are now placed in, with their Europa League qualification and Active Nation Scottish Cup triumph meaning envious eyes are being cast over their players by others.

The Hibees cashed in, of course, with the likes of Scott Brown (Celtic), Steven Fletcher (Burnley) Kevin Thompson and Steven Whittaker (both Rangers) being sold for a combined total of £11.5 million.

Thompson will only sell his players this summer if the price is right and a concrete bid has yet to land on the Tannadice table from anyone for anyone.

However, the United chief is a football realist and he believes Hibernian were right to do what they did.

“I look at Hibs and conclude they are a fantastic role model for other SPL clubs,” said Thompson.

“I have a lot of respect for their chairman Rod Petrie, for example.

“He has had a lot of stick over the years but for the life of me I can’t understand why.

“Surely now it is clear that the way they have conducted themselves is the way forward for most clubs and I would included ourselves in that.

“They have sold players when they have thought it was prudent to do so and that is how it has to be.

“They have a terrific stadium and can do things that others club can’t because of financial constraints.

“I say good luck to them and well done for managing their club like that.”

As for his own side, as befits a man who can glance at the Scottish Cup every working day, Thompson is both relaxed and excited about what lies ahead for United.

“When you do well other people get interested in your players and there is obviously a bit of interest out there,” he added.

“We still have debt and we are aiming to reduce that.

“So it is a balancing act between keeping your team together as well as you can while also doing what’s best for the club.

“We don’t want to dismantle the team because we don’t want to be back fighting relegation like we were in the past.

“At the same time, though, if the right offer comes in for any player then they will go.”

Chuckie
05-06-2010, 11:53 AM
Stephen Thomson (allegedly!): "What I most admire about the Hibs set-up is its stability and the consistency of self-destructing every season, sometime between December and February. Allied to that is their remarkable Scottish Cup run over the last 108 years..."

:wink::greengrin

:confused:
What the hell ?
LTYF

Godsahibby
05-06-2010, 12:16 PM

Nothing better than what we have got at the club although I would have liked to have seen Barr, there is no way I would have wanted hin on the wages Hearts are paying him.

down-the-slope
05-06-2010, 12:34 PM
While i'm sure there is genuine admaration for the Tache....i see that he has convieniently used that as a way of saying to other clubs...'come and get our good youngsters at the right price'...which he could harly have said straight out...

Woody1985
05-06-2010, 12:47 PM
Every club in Scotland is the same though, it's not rocket science, everyone knows that every SPL player (and most players in the world) have a price that will be accepted.

Earl of Currie
05-06-2010, 01:59 PM

Whilst we are beginning to see what a difference financial prudence has reaped. We sold players to the OF when they were were happy to pay over the odds , we bought a trainning ground when and where land was cheap ( a lot of land which is still undeveloped and could potentially bring in more revenue) and paid for a new stand when steel and construction costs were at their lowest in years.

Some of this is luck but a lot is sound business acumen. When other teams were going through their boom or bust phases. Hibs quickly learnt from their errors of the past and going forward are now literally 10 years ahead.

Just think how long it would take ,particulalrly in the current econimic climate for Dundee Utd, Hearts & Aberdeen to each raise the 25-30 million pay of most of their debts, to build a new ground, new training ground and then have the financial position to attract good quality players (Stokes ,Miller).

If we can now get it right on the park , this should be the start of a 'golden generation' for Hibs.

All hail the 'tache

Eaststand
05-06-2010, 03:34 PM
[QUOTE=Paul;2485858]The Tash and STF will be forever Hibs legends IMO.

Due their excent work we are 10 years ahead of every club in Scotland

:top marks and :top marksagain!!
Yep, the tache and STF deserve lots of praise for the way they have brought our club from the dark days when the FTB tried to end us, to where we are now.

GGTTH

Kaiser1962
05-06-2010, 04:09 PM

What an excellent phrase to describe the fuds. They have performed a complete U turn on Vlad at least four times and he is portrayed as some sort of visionary for trying to bring spending under control and raise their own player through their (rented) academy. What a novel idea! Why didn't we think of that? Rod should bow down to Vlad every day in life.

On the subject of revisionism they seem to be creaming themselves that our Europa Cup campaign will last one round, well, conveniently forgetting that their last campaign didnt even last an hour. They must truly be the stupidest most ignorant f u c k ers that ever walked on the face of this planet. That is all.

Sas_The_Hibby
05-06-2010, 04:46 PM
:confused:
What the hell ?
LTYF

Obviously, if I make a light hearted comment you don't like, I must be a "Yam Fud". If you don't have a sense of humour, don't take it out on me.

Chuckie
05-06-2010, 06:50 PM
Obviously, if I make a light hearted comment you don't like, I must be a "Yam Fud". If you don't have a sense of humour, don't take it out on me.

Maybe you don't take your supporting of the club as serious as you should. Some things you ultimately should not laugh at. For example - Hibs shortcomings, Rape and murder are just not funny.

Unless there's clowns involved.

Keith_M
05-06-2010, 08:01 PM

I suppose he can afford to be generous as it does mention he has the Scottish Cup as reward for how DU operate to console them for a year.

mjhibby
06-06-2010, 10:17 AM

Was saying the same about kyle and barr myself at work and the jambos said they are internationals and we tried to sign them so they must be good.Barr yogi was interested in but kyle i dont think so.With black,barr and kyle and possibly bryson they could have the spine of their team full of players who have fought relegation battles the last two seasons.If thats what they think will get them near the top of the leagues that would explain why they are hertz fans.They will always find excuses for finishing below us and see jeffries as some genuis even though he left killie in a mess on the 7th highest wage bill in the spl.As the post split games showed they only seemed able to be up for the hibs game and only got a point from the arabs,well and celtic at home.A new season always brings optimism but delusion is an entirely different mindset.My favourite delusion is they beat off aberdeen for kyle for the great prospects they have of course ignoring a debt £4m over what rangers have and they are letting players go left right and centre.Minus congalves and stewart they will struggle over a season(as the post split games showed)and jeffries judgement on congalves is never challenged even though he was sorely missed in those games and could well have seen them push us for 4th.Still im glad jimbo took his stance as we will be in europe and they will be at gullane no doubt.Dont you just love those jambos though and their feeling of superiority that 6th place brings.