PDA

View Full Version : The Mercer Family - Today's EEN

PaulSmith
04-06-2010, 09:57 AM
Still believe that Wallace's 'vison' was correct.

lugz
04-06-2010, 10:03 AM

Well they too............are WRONG!!

GGTTH :flag::flag:

Greentinted
04-06-2010, 10:14 AM
Mercer was an abberation who, by his own admission, said he was perhaps overzealous. His family are obviously inbred simpletons who are unable to grasp the simplist of concepts - i.e Hibs and Hearts do not mix and have existed largely in terms of one another (competitively speaking. A kind of definition of the self in terms of the other).

Half-wits rarely understand the concept of football rivalry. Any spawn of those fetid loins deserves nothing but derision and contempt.

givescotlandfreedom
04-06-2010, 10:18 AM
The state of us now compared to Hearts shows they are very wrong. Tough luck ****bags you'll never kill Hibernian.

HIBERNIAN-0762
04-06-2010, 10:33 AM
Mongs the **** lot o them! :grr:

Frazerbob
04-06-2010, 10:39 AM
Mercer was an abberation who, by his own admission, said he was perhaps overzealous. His family are obviously inbred simpletons who are unable to grasp the simplist of concepts - i.e Hibs and Hearts do not mix and have existed largely in terms of one another (competitively speaking. A kind of definition of the self in terms of the other).

Half-wits rarely understand the concept of football rivalry. Any spawn of those fetid loins deserves nothing but derision and contempt.

His vision wasn't to mix them though. It was to remove one allowing the other to grow stronger. There was no "merger".

truehibernian
04-06-2010, 10:42 AM
The best part of the "Team that never died" programme was when STF was recalling the meetings with Wallace. It was very much like a far wiser, more experienced, more knowledgable man (STF), beating down an impetuous, reckless, know-it-all.......like a classier version of the Apprentice. And Wallace........you were fired !! :thumbsup:

MyJo
04-06-2010, 10:54 AM
That's fine then, i assume they would be more than happy to support a proposal for the financially stable and well managed club of the two to attempt a take-over of the skint, technically insolvent club in a "merger" to improve football in edinburgh then?? :dunno:........:devil:

7Hero
04-06-2010, 10:55 AM
any link to the article in question ?

steviecarnie
04-06-2010, 11:11 AM
These types of people never learn, tell you what theres already a huge amount of animosity toward my family, think ill make a comment that will bring more on to us.....complete ******s.:rolleyes:

Removed
04-06-2010, 11:14 AM
any link to the article in question ?

Here you go (http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/Wallace-Mercers-HeartsHibs-merger-vision.6341134.jp)

givescotlandfreedom
04-06-2010, 11:15 AM
These types of people never learn, tell you what theres already a huge amount of animosity toward my family, think ill make a comment that will bring more on to us.....complete ******s.:rolleyes:

:agree: Yep a criticism of those who sing the Mercer songs is his family's feelings - by jumping in with idiotic statements like these they open themselves up to it.

Greentinted
04-06-2010, 11:36 AM
His vision wasn't to mix them though. It was to remove one allowing the other to grow stronger. There was no "merger".

Exactly. My point being that Hearts would have essentially lost a massive part of their identity also with the removal of the rivalry. It was an ill thought out enterprise driven purely by greed.

weonlywon6-2
04-06-2010, 11:42 AM

exactly. mercers vision was right, my erse:bye:

Westie1875
04-06-2010, 11:44 AM
They'll get their wish when hearts eventually go bust and fold.

Green_one
04-06-2010, 11:53 AM
The whole article is drivel. The change was never a visionary Edinburgh United but a killing of Hibs. This was then to be followed by a mass insanity by the Hibs support of them supporting the very team that had killed theirs.

If that works in their small minds then here is the truth. A pathetic little man saw a business opportunity and went for it. He did not understand enough about football to see it would never work. In doing so he created a crisis at Hibs and cost Hearts a lot of cash. He ensured that a real Edinburgh United would never happen. He failed at that and later failed with the Hearts.

Who are these people who feel their lies count:grr: Would they care to take a statement from the Hibs support about the matter. Your relative is despised by a large section of Edinburgh and always will be. Re-write that muppets.

DaveF
04-06-2010, 12:15 PM
Your relative is despised by a large section of Edinburgh and always will be. Re-write that muppets.

Too right.

Love Hibs. Hate Mercer.

GGTTH

Part/Time Supporter
04-06-2010, 12:18 PM

... and with that they forego any right for him to be left in peace.

Barney McGrew
04-06-2010, 12:31 PM
... and with that they forego any right for him to be left in peace.

Exactly. They don't want to reignite old passions so instead they put out a statement to the press saying their fat ******* of a relative was right all along :bitchy:

Another set of classless yams.

Jamesie
04-06-2010, 12:42 PM
Some select quotes below which show the Mercers still have no idea whatsoever what football is all about to the everyday fan in the street. To be fair, it was the Evening News that asked them for a quote rather than these comments being unsolicited, but they could easily have kept a dignified silence rather than rehearsing 20 year old arguments which have been widely derided in the period which followed.

In it Mercer's wife Anne and their son and daughter, Iain and Helen, insist "sound football and economic reasons" drove the momentum for a merger, one which, they say, was agreed at board level within both clubs.

"It was considered that Edinburgh – a capital city and one of the great financial centres of Europe – punched well below its weight in football terms and that this was likely to continue while resources and loyalties were split between two clubs. Subsequent events, with Rangers and Celtic tightening their stranglehold on Scottish senior football, have proved this to be right."

The Mercers claimed there was strong support among football fans within the Edinburgh business community for the plan, one which, they insisted, was not simply the sole preserve of the former Tynecastle supremo but had the full support of the Hearts board.

Admitting the proposal was withdrawn because the strength of feeling among sections of the Hibs support relating to "identity and socio-historic issues" had been underestimated...

brog
04-06-2010, 12:55 PM
The biggest nonsense in this whole story is the perpetuation of the myth that Mercer had a " football vision ". Mercer had no vision re football whatsoever. He was a West of Scotland rugby man steeped in Tory & Masonic traditions. If he had leanings to any football team it was to the Huns. He had one vision only & that was Greed!
True to his credo his vision was to sell the prime locations of ER & Tynecastle & effectively asset strip both Hibs & Hawrts. Although a new ground was to be built, probably at Straiton :wink:, he would have received significant grants & contracts were already being drawn up giving the work to associated companies.
I sat next to Mercer on a plane a few months after the takeover failed. Disappointingly he was quite approachable but his football knowledge was zero. This was 2 days after a major win for Hearts, he couldn't name the scorers or the subs who came on. He freely admitted to me his first love was rugby.
Don't give the vision concept any credibility, this was a son of Thatcher engaging in naked, capitalist greed.

jgl07
04-06-2010, 01:30 PM
His vision of Edinburgh United. What a load of £$%^&&**!

His proposals were to call the 'combined' team Heart of Midlothian, to play at Tynecastle, in maroon and white.

The nutter did not have a clue.

As for perpetuating old firm ascendancy, Mercer did as much as anyone to keep Hearts away from any challenge. He bled the club dry by extracting every penny he could from the Peman and Leslie Deans in the takover and subsequently.

Andy74
04-06-2010, 01:46 PM
My wife grew up with the daughter and has known the family very well for 30 years.

They are as far removed from a family that has any comprehension of football and what it actually means to football fans as you can get so their ramblings on the matter are best ignored.

He'd deid we're not and that's the main thing.

Reading these stories the last few days reminds me just how far we've come and how incredibly bad the position is on the other side now from an infrastructure point of view. Justice done to some extent but not finished yet!

Barney McGrew
04-06-2010, 02:01 PM
They are as far removed from a family that has any comprehension of football and what it actually means to football fans as you can get so their ramblings on the matter are best ignored

In that case, they'd have been far better keeping their traps shut about it rather than commenting in a release to the EEN

poolman
04-06-2010, 02:55 PM
Obviously this clown called Thundercats are go doesnt know what supporting a football club means to them

Im aware of my comments about people linking to hibs.net so will eat the humble pie for mentioning them.
I genuinely cant believe the disgusting comments being made about Wallace Mercer and his family over there. Just received an email with a link to three threads about what happened 20 years ago and am frankly disgusted.

I may sometimes say over here it too strictly moderated but i take that back, for people to post gloating about a mans death is sick.

i wont link to the threads as i know it upsets some (yes, me included) and some of the language may get me into trouble for linking to it. but those interested in just how low that lot over the road can stoop can look (wouldnt if i were you).

http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/topic/73943-hibs-fans/

:asshole:

MountcastleHibs
04-06-2010, 03:01 PM
Obviously this clown called Thundercats are go doesnt know what supporting a football club means to them

Im aware of my comments about people linking to hibs.net so will eat the humble pie for mentioning them.
I genuinely cant believe the disgusting comments being made about Wallace Mercer and his family over there. Just received an email with a link to three threads about what happened 20 years ago and am frankly disgusted.

I may sometimes say over here it too strictly moderated but i take that back, for people to post gloating about a mans death is sick.

i wont link to the threads as i know it upsets some (yes, me included) and some of the language may get me into trouble for linking to it. but those interested in just how low that lot over the road can stoop can look (wouldnt if i were you).

What does that clown expect? We've just to run around, forgetting what Mercer tried to do, praising him and laying flowers on his grave?

That man tried to ruin the football club I love, and I will never be able to forget that (despite not being born when it all happened). And for his family to suggest it was the right thing to do , well they must be plain stupid.

I'm never disrespectful about the dead, but for Mercer I make an exception.

Lofarl
04-06-2010, 03:07 PM
You know I never sung the Mercer song at football games. I thought despite my feelings towards the man he did have a family and they had nothing to do with it.

Thats all change now.

Barney McGrew
04-06-2010, 03:10 PM

i wont link to the threads as i know it upsets some (yes, me included) and some of the language may get me into trouble for linking to it. but those interested in just how low that lot over the road can stoop can look (wouldnt if i were you)

:hilarious

Given some of the things that have been allowed to stand on their forum by their mods over the years, that's really really rich.

Greentinted
04-06-2010, 03:11 PM

Slightly off-topic but why is someone deserving of respect by virtue of their non-existance? Wallace Mercer was a greed driven misanthrope in life. He's dead now, so what? It doesn't change anything. Why fall into the abyss of hypocrasy just because someone is dead. Death is inevitable and only those who were decent, respectful human beings in life should be afforded the same in the wake of their demise.

MountcastleHibs
04-06-2010, 03:23 PM
Slightly off-topic but why is someone deserving of respect by virtue of their non-existance? Wallace Mercer was a greed driven misanthrope in life. He's dead now, so what? It doesn't change anything. Why fall into the abyss of hypocrasy just because someone is dead. Death is inevitable and only those who were decent, respectful human beings in life should be afforded the same in the wake of their demise.

Pity Dale doesn't feel like that then haha.

Well he didn't have my respect when he was alive either. It doesn't sit well to me to be disrespectful to someone who is dead, after all they can't defend themselves. Mercer is an exception to this. Truly despicable human being.

MyJo
04-06-2010, 03:23 PM
What does that clown expect? We've just to run around, forgetting what Mercer tried to do, praising him and laying flowers on his grave?

That man tried to ruin the football club I love, and I will never be able to forget that (despite not being born when it all happened). And for his family to suggest it was the right thing to do , well they must be plain stupid.

:agree: Death does not provide absolution for being a *

NORTHERNHIBBY
04-06-2010, 03:26 PM
If the takeover had gone ahead as Edinburgh United there would be no senior teams in the SPL from Edinburgh just now. We would have started up again at Meadowbank under a new name. Wallet's "customers" would have voted with their feet as well and the venture would have died on the vine. They did not want an Edinburgh United any more than we did. What really annoyed me about Mercer though, was after all the turmoil that this caused, and genuine out-pouring of emotion and sense of loss, it went on the TV and said it had all been good fun. Takes a particularly nasty individual to get fun out of that.

Fantic
04-06-2010, 03:37 PM
They're dirty and they're smelly,
They havnae got a telly,
They come fae Portobelly,
The Mercer Family
na na na na oo oo

Edit: no idea if they come from Portobello but we used to sing this years ago

Phil D. Rolls
04-06-2010, 03:48 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/10/FC-Amsterdam.png/250px-FC-Amsterdam.png
It just doesn't work. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FC_Amsterdam)

johnrebus
04-06-2010, 03:48 PM
Sorry guys but Wallace Mercer is dead and what his family thinks is irrelevant.

Some of the reaction on here is most definately not Hibs class and quite frankly - embarrasing.

Lets just move on, eh?

:tsk tsk:

Phil D. Rolls
04-06-2010, 03:54 PM

Some of the reaction on here is most definately not Hibs class and quite frankly - embarrasing.

Lets just move on, eh?

People who forget history are destined to repeat it.

steviecarnie
04-06-2010, 03:55 PM

Clearly not irrelevant or it wouldnt be a headline in a paper TODAY 20 years on, the wounds amongst tho around to remember (i was 6 and tbf i have only little recollection of events) are still raw, you wouldnt tell liverpool fans who are still upset over the suns portrayal of events at hillborough to get over it........would ye?

Bostonhibby
04-06-2010, 04:04 PM
The biggest nonsense in this whole story is the perpetuation of the myth that Mercer had a " football vision ". Mercer had no vision re football whatsoever. He was a West of Scotland rugby man steeped in Tory & Masonic traditions. If he had leanings to any football team it was to the Huns. He had one vision only & that was Greed!
True to his credo his vision was to sell the prime locations of ER & Tynecastle & effectively asset strip both Hibs & Hawrts. Although a new ground was to be built, probably at Straiton :wink:, he would have received significant grants & contracts were already being drawn up giving the work to associated companies.
I sat next to Mercer on a plane a few months after the takeover failed. Disappointingly he was quite approachable but his football knowledge was zero. This was 2 days after a major win for Hearts, he couldn't name the scorers or the subs who came on. He freely admitted to me his first love was rugby.
Don't give the vision concept any credibility, this was a son of Thatcher engaging in naked, capitalist greed.

:thumbsup: Another seminal quote on the subject. I nearly said lightbulb moment.

Bostonhibby
04-06-2010, 04:07 PM

Lets just move on, eh?

Was starting to think about letting sleeping dogs lie with this one but if it grows into something bigger afresh it does kind of look like whoever decided to speak out in the way they have can hardly expect nothing, or agreement in response!

poolman
04-06-2010, 04:12 PM

Lets just move on, eh?

No, as long as erses over the road keep dragging up how good a guy he was so I wont :agree:

Gerard
04-06-2010, 04:27 PM
As Hibs fans we can have the ability to move on and be gracious in our victory.
Hibs have built a new stadium, own a training academy and have a bright future.
Hearts have massive debt, rent a training centre and are still discussing the construction of a new stand.

The idea that two clubs could become one was asking for too much good will on both sides. The idea of owning a joint stadium was an idea that might have worked and both clubs would have seen benefits from this stadium in terms of quality and size and running costs.

As a Hibs fan I will not waste energy on being bitter about their failed attempt to buy our club.
If you look at Hearts Kickback you will see a website that is full of hate for Hibs and anything to do with Hibs. That is something that is a waste of energy.

We have a bright future and we do not need to be like Hearts Kickback fans.

Gerard

jdships
04-06-2010, 04:40 PM
Hearts have massive debt, rent a training centre and are still discussing the construction of a new stand.

The idea that two clubs could become one was asking for too much good will on both sides. The idea of owning a joint stadium was an idea that might have worked and both clubs would have seen benefits from this stadium in terms of quality and size and running costs.

As a Hibs fan I will not waste energy on being bitter about their failed attempt to buy our club.
If you look at Hearts Kickback you will see a website that is full of hate for Hibs and anything to do with Hibs. That is something that is a waste of energy.

Gerard

Good post :thumbsup:
I try hard to respect the dead ( Mercer in this case) whoever they are but admit it is very difficult in this case.
The one thing we must never forget is the idea of an "Edinburgh United" was never going to come about .
This was an "asset strip" complete and absolute - HFC being the asset

I am sorry the Mercer family have not just kept quiet at this time

:flag:

truehibernian
04-06-2010, 04:56 PM

Gerard

Good post. Through the years I was never a great believer in karma, good or bad, however just in the past wee while it is indeed very very true. Good things happen to good people and all that jazz. The irony is though that for the majority of Hearts fans that I know or have known, they are the tightest bunch I have ever come across. They invented copper wire fighting over a penny. Every pound was a prisoner. I am always happy to have Hearts around, as it keeps our SPL campaign interesting, and the derby would be a huge miss. Don't like the Mercer song, never have - the man was a pompous erse in the Foulkes mould, but you should never disrespect a man when he's no longer here. As for Hearts, the only thing you can guarantee is that they will never ever get out of their financial mire. No amount of campaigns, sugar daddy's or rich oligarchs are going to save their financial plight. Hibs will quite literally go from strength to strength, while our neighbours across the way will continually suffer in Yam silence. Historically their bark has always been worse than their bite. Maybe of course because their fans also have nae teeth :greengrin:devil:

poolman
04-06-2010, 05:07 PM
Good post. Through the years I was never a great believer in karma, good or bad, however just in the past wee while it is indeed very very true. Good things happen to good people and all that jazz. The irony is though that for the majority of Hearts fans that I know or have known, they are the tightest bunch I have ever come across. They invented copper wire fighting over a penny. Every pound was a prisoner. I am always happy to have Hearts around, as it keeps our SPL campaign interesting, and the derby would be a huge miss. Don't like the Mercer song, never have - the man was a pompous erse in the Foulkes mould, but you should never disrespect a man when he's no longer here. As for Hearts, the only thing you can guarantee is that they will never ever get out of their financial mire. No amount of campaigns, sugar daddy's or rich oligarchs are going to save their financial plight. Hibs will quite literally go from strength to strength, while our neighbours across the way will continually suffer in Yam silence. Historically their bark has always been worse than their bite. Maybe of course because their fans also have nae teeth :greengrin:devil:

Don't see why not, I never respected the man when he was alive so I dont see why I should not disrespect him just cause he's six feet under

EskbankHibby
04-06-2010, 05:10 PM
Good post :thumbsup:
I try hard to respect the dead ( Mercer in this case) whoever they are but admit it is very difficult in this case.
The one thing we must never forget is the idea of an "Edinburgh United" was never going to come about .
This was an "asset strip" complete and absolute - HFC being the asset

I am sorry the Mercer family have not just kept quiet at this time

:flag:

:agree:.

Naivety or stupidity i'm not sure, don't think the EEN cover themselves in glory here either. The Mercer's are basically endorsing a "vision" which would have meant the end of our club which obviously provokes a reaction amongst us.

The caveat of "no desire to reignite the flames" is frankly pathetic, EEN should not have asked them their opinion or a simple "no comment" from them should have been forthcoming.

Incidentally they (hearts fans) love him because we hate him, it's as simple as that. He was not a popular figure amongst Hearts supporters when at the helm of their club. Having said that i've never been one to glory in his demise, not a great fan of him in life but just can't bring myself to sing about his death, each to their own and all that.

Jamesie
04-06-2010, 05:58 PM
The caveat of "no desire to reignite the flames" is frankly pathetic, EEN should not have asked them their opinion or a simple "no comment" from them should have been forthcoming.

That is all they had to do. However, silence is obviously not a trait that is well known in that family.

gringojoe
04-06-2010, 06:32 PM
Not really bothered what the Mercer family think, we're here Wallace isn't.

Jamesie
04-06-2010, 07:42 PM
http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/sport/Mercer-family-accept-Salmond39s-apology.5095422.jp

I've never met Iain Mercer, and I don't have any desire to.

madhibby
04-06-2010, 07:52 PM
I suppose what annoys me about Mr Mercer and his supporters is his view that "tribalism"sank the merger. As all Hibs fans know and the majority of Hearts fans recognise it was about closing down Hibs and believing that because of that Hearts would be stronger.

"Tribalism" seems to me to be a code word for sectarianism and that catholic or Irish Hibs, a minority in Edinburgh, woudn't stand aside for the good of professional football in Edinburgh.

I have no religious views and wasnt brought a catholic.I have no Irish background but Hibs are my team. Any supporter of any team would fight for their continued future?

Maybe all this is better not said and Thatcherite Tory Wallet Mercer just never understood football and what being a fan is about. But I do resent the implication that my opposition to the clouse of the club I support was cause I'm some sort of bigot.

Am I right or am I wrong?

Geo_1875
04-06-2010, 07:52 PM
I never liked Mercer when alive and my view of him has not changed since his death. However, I will not waste energy in actively denigrating him while Foulkes is still alive and spouting his bigoted bile and bluster.

Phil D. Rolls
04-06-2010, 07:59 PM
I suppose what annoys me about Mr Mercer and his supporters is his view that "tribalism"sank the merger. As all Hibs fans know and the majority of Hearts fans recognise it was about closing down Hibs and believing that because of that Hearts would be stronger.

"Tribalism" seems to me to be a code word for sectarianism and that catholic or Irish Hibs, a minority in Edinburgh, woudn't stand aside for the good of professional football in Edinburgh.

I have no religious views and wasnt brought a catholic.I have no Irish background but Hibs are my team. Any supporter of any team would fight for their continued future?

Maybe all this is better not said and Thatcherite Tory Wallet Mercer just never understood football and what being a fan is about. But I do resent the implication that my opposition to the clouse of the club I support was cause I'm some sort of bigot.

Am I right or am I wrong?

I think you're maybe stretching a point here. IIRC one of FTB's first run ins with the Yams was that he came out and condemned their loyalist leanings.

I think the tribalism was more a hint at the savagery of football fans who couldn't see sense in a purely business based decision.

monktonharp
04-06-2010, 08:02 PM
to me ,look less gracious than a family fae that well kent tv prog. Shame!. I could not bring mysel to read all the posts regarding these lowlife Tory barstewards,but,who the f/ck do they think they are kidding? is it themselves? they have no class,no thoughts regarding the likes of you and me,and had no conpunction to see the end of Hibernian Football Club, as long as they made a few quid,it was more of I'm all right Jack,and screw you! these barstewards should crawl back under the stane they emerged fae! I have not even read the comments in the EEN yet,but I am,like most Hibernian thinking men/women ,totally amazed/inraged that they can still think this way! f/ck them all,and I hope they have long lingering deaths.

Ants
04-06-2010, 08:08 PM
Exactly. They don't want to reignite old passions so instead they put out a statement to the press saying their fat ******* of a relative was right all along :bitchy:

Another set of classless yams.

HE TRIED TO DISSOLVE HIBS.

WE HAVE SURVIVED, HE HAS NOT, ALONG WITH HIS VISION.

I honestly do not mean to be disrespectful of those who have died, but he had Tory viens with Tory blood.... be dominant, get rid of the others at all costs, that was the Tory(Thatcher) policy at that time.

Geo_1875
04-06-2010, 08:14 PM
I think you're maybe stretching a point here. IIRC one of FTB's first run ins with the Yams was that he came out and condemned their loyalist leanings.

I think the tribalism was more a hint at the savagery of football fans who couldn't see sense in a purely business based decision.

Exactly, he couldn't see that football is about more than pound notes. And if his family still can't see that then **** them.

gorgie_harp
04-06-2010, 08:15 PM
to me ,look less gracious than a family fae that well kent tv prog. Shame!. I could not bring mysel to read all the posts regarding these lowlife Tory barstewards,but,who the f/ck do they think they are kidding? is it themselves? they have no class,no thoughts regarding the likes of you and me,and had no conpunction to see the end of Hibernian Football Club, as long as they made a few quid,it was more of I'm all right Jack,and screw you! these barstewards should crawl back under the stane they emerged fae! I have not even read the comments in the EEN yet,but I am,like most Hibernian thinking men/women ,totally amazed/inraged that they can still think this way! f/ck them all,and I hope they have long lingering deaths.

:top marks:top marks FTHMFC.:agree:

johnrebus
04-06-2010, 08:32 PM
Clearly not irrelevant or it wouldnt be a headline in a paper TODAY 20 years on, the wounds amongst tho around to remember (i was 6 and tbf i have only little recollection of events) are still raw, you wouldnt tell liverpool fans who are still upset over the suns portrayal of events at hillborough to get over it........would ye?

But it is irrelevant because as someone said on this thread earlier, Mercers family - like himself- are not football people and really know **** all about it.

This is all about the pisspoor Edinburgh Evening News and a pathetic non story.

I just believe that all Hibbies should show their class and ignore it!

I wish I had............,

:doh:

johnrebus
04-06-2010, 08:34 PM
People who forget history are destined to repeat it.

Is that you Winston?

Ah thought you were deid..................,

:rolleyes:

thebakerboy
04-06-2010, 08:37 PM
Before it all started I already knew Mercer was not a football man , rather like Murray at der hun ,his sport was Rugby. So coming from that background of friendly rivarly he never understood football. His idea business wise was good but he did not know football. On top of this he was a pure THATCHERITE business man and knew nothing of real people. Given all that the open letter in the EEN today totally stunned me , have these people learned nothing in the last 20 years , but then we now have a THATCHERITE PM again so maybe they are on the way back. I once had dealings with the son and found him to be a total "DONT YOU KNOW WHO I AM " type so perhaps I am not surprised. All I have to say is thank god for STF and the TACHE perhaps we are now secure for many years but who knows about the TARTS , but I do not want them to Know how we suffered for a while , or MAYBE JUST FOR A YEAR OR 12.:notworthy::jamboak:

tamig
04-06-2010, 08:37 PM
The state of us now compared to Hearts shows they are very wrong. Tough luck ****bags you'll never kill Hibernian.

When I read it that was my first reaction. We have come out of all of this pish much stronger and are now in a postion that old Mercer could only ever dream of. The man was a **** of the highest order. I've never been so satisfied at anyone leaving this earth as I was the day that old plum went. Hibs are doing very well thank you Mercers. :agree:

Jonnyboy
04-06-2010, 08:38 PM

A classic example of trying to take the moral high ground and failing miserably.

Those cretins on Sickboak really are the lowest of the low and they've the nerve to criticise Hibs.net. You couldnae make it up

Edit: And another thing, those folk over at the PBS couldnae wait to get shot of Mercer. Double standards? You bet

sahib
04-06-2010, 08:52 PM

:agree:

Jamesie
04-06-2010, 09:03 PM
But it is irrelevant because as someone said on this thread earlier, Mercers family - like himself- are not football people and really know **** all about it.

You can guarantee the Mercers would have complained if they hadn't been invited to comment though!

ronaldo7
04-06-2010, 09:15 PM
The Mercer's comments today have just given the Mercer song another 20 years.

Pete
04-06-2010, 09:38 PM

Gerard

I'm in the "lets move on" camp as well.

This idea that two clubs from a significant city merge and therefore become a force is a sound one...from a football outsiders point of view.
Cities like Bristol, Stoke, Dundee and Sheffield would theoretically all have bigger teams capable of much more if they were to merge...but where would the customers come from?
It might work in rugby or business but football is too tribal and the clubs are too much a part of the community to let any of these mergers happen.
Some places have eveloved to have one team and others have more and that's simply the way it is and always will be...and anyone with any football sense would realise that. If Mercer was guilty of anything it was arrogance, greed and an extremely large lack of knowledge about football culture.

I'm not going to criticise those who curse Mercer but I simply don't share your sentiments because I feel there's no need.
He did try and take something special away from us but I'll save my vitriol for real criminals. He's nothing to me now he's dead and gone. A non-entity as are his family...not even worth wasting any sort of energy or thoughts on.

monktonharp
04-06-2010, 09:38 PM
The Mercer's comments today have just given the Mercer song another 20 years.:agree:you are what you are

Jamesie
04-06-2010, 10:07 PM
I'm in the "lets move on" camp as well.

This idea that two clubs from a significant city merge and therefore become a force is a sound one...from a football outsiders point of view.
Cities like Bristol, Stoke, Dundee and Sheffield would theoretically all have bigger teams capable of much more if they were to merge...but where would the customers come from?
It might work in rugby or business but football is too tribal and the clubs are too much a part of the community to let any of these mergers happen.
Some places have eveloved to have one team and others have more and that's simply the way it is and always will be...and anyone with any football sense would realise that. If Mercer was guilty of anything it was arrogance, greed and an extremely large lack of knowledge about football culture.

I'm not going to criticise those who curse Mercer but I simply don't share your sentiments because I feel there's no need.
He did try and take something special away from us but I'll save my vitriol for real criminals. He's nothing to me now he's dead and gone. A non-entity as are his family...not even worth wasting any sort of energy or thoughts on.

The thing is, it doesn't work in rugby, at least in this country. Old club ties die hard in Edinburgh, and you probably get as many at some top Premier One clashes as you do to see Edinburgh play at Murrayfield. Part of that is the kind of "tribalism" the Mercers may identify more readily with.

NAE NOOKIE
04-06-2010, 10:16 PM
I dont think the quotes from the Mercer family in the EEN were meant to stir anything up. Their comments are to be expected as a result of family loyalty, if nothing else.

The problem is that they make great play of the fact that over 60% of Hibs shares were sold to Mercer, the suggestion being that this indicates that 60% of Hibs fans were in favour of the merger. When in fact 99.9% of the 60% were purchased from financial institutions or business associates of Rowland. Not from Hibs supporters.

They also say that the 'merger' was supported by the Herats board and by some of the Hibs board. When you remember that some of the Hibs board at that time was made up of Rowland stooges that statement has no credability.

The most astonishing thing in the whole affair was that even if Mercer was not a football supporter, surely a man of his supposed intelligence should have been aware of the backlash his actions would cause.

Also, if he really wanted an Edinburgh United, even the most casual football fan could have told him that the way he was going to do it was doomed to failure. Herats are not, never were and never will be Edinburgh Utd, or even Edinburgh's team. Something that mad Vlad has toyed with suggesting over the years.

Look out from yer dingy Gorgie hovels ya Yam bassas and see the Sunshine on Leith !!!

:bye:

Jonnyboy
04-06-2010, 10:20 PM
I dont think the quotes from the Mercer family in the EEN were meant to stir anything up. Their comments are to be expected as a result of family loyalty, if nothing else.

The problem is that they make great play of the fact that over 60% of Hibs shares were sold to Mercer, the suggestion being that this indicates that 60% of Hibs fans were in favour of the merger. When in fact 99.9% of the 60% were purchased from financial institutions or business associates of Rowland. Not from Hibs supporters.

They also say that the 'merger' was supported by the Herats board and by some of the Hibs board. When you remember that some of the Hibs board at that time was made up of Rowland stooges that statement has no credability.

The most astonishing thing in the whole affair was that even if Mercer was not a football supporter, surely a man of his supposed intelligence should have been aware of the backlash his actions would cause.

Also, if he really wanted an Edinburgh United, even the most casual football fan could have told him that the way he was going to do it was doomed to failure. Herats are not, never were and never will be Edinburgh Utd, or even Edinburgh's team. Something that mad Vlad has toyed with suggesting over the years.

Look out from yer dingy Gorgie hovels ya Yam bassas and see the Sunshine on Leith !!!

:bye:

Great post Bovril :thumbsup:

NaeTechnoHibby
05-06-2010, 12:46 AM

How can a local paper ignore that we are celebrating, with a concert at the Usher Hall, the fact that we were able to save our club :confused:

We would be going mental, saying it was ignoring local history :agree:

It might be piss-poor these days, but it has to grasp the local issues, big ones at that and run with them :agree:

"A pathetic non story" ???? Are you mad :confused:

It's never going to be a non-story, anymore than Celtc trying to shut us down after we helped form them, it's called OUR HISTORY :agree:

Like ANY history, some people will not think about it ever and others will give it due too much credence, however, as a Hibs fan (and most people the world over) I am prepared to remember and pay due credence and move on. :agree:

Not ever forgetting that I have a history to recall when needed, and when required to mark certain landmarks of that history :agree:

This is one of those landmarks :thumbsup:

Just in case you didnae ken "We're still here" :thumbsup:

Viva_Palmeiras
05-06-2010, 01:56 PM
Remember these are the quotes of the family that bore the brunt, so they are hardly going to be sympathetic to the Hibs view.

Shareholders are investors and speculators money men not football men. The Hibs board would have had a loyalty to represent the best wishes of them I'd imagine so to say that Hibs as such were behind it to my layman mind paints an inaccurate picture.

As a stunned 19 year old at the time even then I knew that Mercer could claim he was right regardless of the outcome. He could even claim he indirectly saved Hibs.

The economic argument - "backed up by Colin Wilson". Who he? - a corporate sponsor and subsequent member of the Hearts board. Hardly independent!!!

Despite winning the argument... underestimated the feeling of some sections of the Hibs support.

Do you know of any "section" of Hibs that was in favour.

So the delusion continues through the generations of the Mercer family.

"Creativity and innovation" - would that be Wallace's stance on paying Police and security bills?

The dignified response would have been silence.

hibbiedon
05-06-2010, 02:20 PM
I will never forget that period or forgive, although one thing for sure, it taught me how important Hibs are to me. Maybe that is why I am a happy clapper and get so angry when I see so called Hibs fans throw there scarfs away or come on here and boast they wont renew their season tickets as long as Mixu / Collins / Yogi etc is manager or shout constant abuse at the team, I still won't thank the FTB

Viva_Palmeiras
05-06-2010, 03:17 PM
I will never forget that period or forgive, although one thing for sure, it taught me how important Hibs are to me. Maybe that is why I am a happy clapper and get so angry when I see so called Hibs fans throw there scarfs away or come on here and boast they wont renew their season tickets as long as Mixu / Collins / Yogi etc is manager or shout constant abuse at the team, I still won't thank the FTB

Me too I'd lost my father in April that year. Family comes first but this felt to me like something was happening to my family and it taught me that Hibs are like family to me. Its easy to say but I wont be the only one that felt a stronger sense of identity with the club at that time. I very much relate to what you are saying in your frustrations. There were people at the time that would have followed Hibs playing on Leith links if that what it took to stay alive. We shouldn't just accept things but neither should we ever forget what we went through.

Dashing Bob S
05-06-2010, 03:51 PM
You know I never sung the Mercer song at football games. I thought despite my feelings towards the man he did have a family and they had nothing to do with it.

Thats all change now.

Exactly how I feel right now. I'm trying to fight it because I understand a family's natural need to try and exonerate the appaulling behaviour of one of their own but I wish they had just shut up. Mercer was someone who cometely bought in to the overwhelming ethos of naked greed and selfishness that dominated the times. The lowest shabbiest person is one who seeks to profit from their neighbours difficulties. I'll certainly find it harder to shut up when the Mercer song does it's rounds but I hope to still manage. Because he lacked class doesn't mean we have to reciporicate.

hibee4life1983
05-06-2010, 04:12 PM
the whole mercer family should leave edinburgh.......fast.:bye:

Diclonius
05-06-2010, 04:20 PM
Hearts Fans in Trying to Embarass Hibs Fans to Create the Illusion They're More Civilised Shocker.

Oh, and they've no foundation on their "LOOK AT THE REPTILES FOUL THE MEMORY OF OUR PRESTIGIOUS CHAIRMAN" line - if I remember correctly they have an equally distasteful song about Erich Schaedler's suicide, whose greatest crime towards them was play for Hibs.

I've never once sang the Mercer song on grounds of his family, but to learn they're just as cold, inhuman and money-obsessed as the man himself this will no longer apply. Tell all the Hearts you know.. :bye:

basehibby
05-06-2010, 04:46 PM
What an idiotic and ill-advised statement from the Mercer family this is - first they "insist" there is no intention to re-ignite the flames. Then they come out with a pile of steaming drivel which could have been calculated to offend Hibs supporters, insinuating as it does that he WAS RIGHT in his attempts to KILL our club!!!

I think they should also consider that their precious father would likely have been dead a lot earlier than 4 years ago if his supposedly righteous schemes had come to fruition - well, Mercers, would that still have been fine and dandy for you then??? Because I very much doubt it would have been enough for the Hibees supporting half of edinburgh who would still have had no football team to support and would still have had an awful lot of resentment simmering inside.

While it's understandable for a family to remember their departed with respect and call for others to show the same, this is no excuse for showing disrespect to others - afterall, how much respect do you think the Hitler family would get if they came out claiming that their old man was right all along while trotting out a load of distorted bull**** and calling it evidence???

This attempted rewriting of history does happen in reality and the Holocaust Deniers who do it are rightly pilloried in the media and by society at large. To me this is no different - the Mercer family have obviously learned absolutely nothing about football clubs and what they actually mean to football fans - they can paint their father as a visionary saint as much as they like in private but if they truly have no desire to open old wounds then they should keep their offensive drivel to themselves.

Fantic
05-06-2010, 05:49 PM
he's no longer here
so lets have a beer

erin-go-bragh87
05-06-2010, 05:57 PM
I couldn't care less what crap mercers family or any other yam fud spouts about trying to kill this club of ours. They failed! We are and will always be; "The team that wouldn't die".

hibee4life1983
05-06-2010, 06:05 PM
BASEHIBBY,

You are tottaly correct, if as you say the mercer family want to re-ignite the feud between how wally tried to kill us off as a club and ''merge'' the two clubs together because ''it wouldve been a great time for an Edinburgh team'' is way off the mark, so much so, that i for one will sing the song just to hurt them and let them no that what he tried to do to us. End of.

monktonharp
05-06-2010, 06:50 PM
you are undoubtedly a ****witoh really? dont be shy,say exactly what you mean,and without the asterixes:wink:

NaeTechnoHibby
05-06-2010, 07:53 PM
oh really? dont be shy,say exactly what you mean,and without the asterixes:wink:

Maybe if you had paragraphed, he might have read it properly :greengrin :offski:

I read it fine eventually :thumbsup:

bawheid
05-06-2010, 08:47 PM
Maybe if you had paragraphed, he might have read it properly :greengrin :offski:

I read it fine eventually :thumbsup:

I read it too. No time for Mercer or his family but I wouldn't wish "a long lingering death" on anyone.

Saorsa
05-06-2010, 10:39 PM
he's no longer here
so lets have a beer:agree:

:cheers:

vein
05-06-2010, 10:43 PM
I read it too. No time for Mercer or his family but I wouldn't wish "a long lingering death" on anyone.

Normally I would agree, when it's Mercer I disagree, and if his family want to live out his legacy by spouting the same pish he did at the time...............

Fly with the crows you get shot with the crows......

AFKA5814_Hibs
05-06-2010, 10:47 PM
One smug grin gone - Hibernian FC lives. I hadn't actually given the events of 20 years ago much thought recently but having thought about it again over the past day or two I remember how much I despised that f€cker. But suppose all I can say is I'm still here as a Hibs fan and our club is still here, not only here but as the number 1 club in Edinburgh which just goes to prove that Mercers plan was foolish and quite simply wrong.

Hibs were always gonna outlive Mercer.:thumbsup:

mim
05-06-2010, 10:47 PM
- the man was a pompous erse in the Foulkes mould

Ah, I see you met him too. :wink:

These are the very words I used to describe the twat when he was alive and well and polluting my
wee boozer in William Street with his fat, egotistical presence.

Sod this 'not speaking ill of the dead' crap - this guy was an erse of the very highest order.

Nando™
05-06-2010, 10:58 PM
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc278/Vanquinho/24673_10150150252130601_632165600_1.jpg

bingo70
05-06-2010, 11:00 PM
can't be ersed reading the whole thread so apologies if this has been covered but.... If Mercer had been succesful i wouldn't have met some guys who i would consider as being some of my best mates now so for his family to suggest he was right is just plain absolute pish, football isn't about winning all the time it's about the community and friendship it provides, these ignorant mongos clearly have no idea about it so **** them.

I've got a few english mates that i've introduced to hibs and one of the biggest selling points is how we reacted to the takeover bid and the fact we still revel in his death, IMO that shows a passion that not all clubs have got.

My only complaint is that he didn't die a slow and painfull enough death.

I STILL HATE MERCER

bingo70
05-06-2010, 11:03 PM
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc278/Vanquinho/24673_10150150252130601_632165600_1.jpg

absolute hibs ****ing class :thumbsup:

Pedantic_Hibee
05-06-2010, 11:03 PM
We're here, he's not.

We've prospered as a club, as a business. They've not.

I'm never one to normally disrespect the deceased, but for his family to sponsor themselves by and to promote and perpetuate the behaviour of the pompous, self-serving nature of the egotistical FTB, I for one wish to pop my head above the parapet,give a hearty laugh and tell them to get it wrapped right round them.

We've risen like a phoenix from the ashes. And we're still here, heart still beating, still proud, still growing, still prospering, still improving, still standing. They, and him, are still. Full stop.

bingo70
05-06-2010, 11:08 PM
We're here, he's not.

We've prospered as a club, as a business. They've not.

I'm never one to normally disrespect the deceased, but for his family to sponsor themselves by and to promote and perpetuate the behaviour of the pompous, self-serving nature of the egotistical FTB, I for one wish to pop my head above the parapet,give a hearty laugh and tell them to get it wrapped right round them.

We've risen like a phoenix from the ashes. And we're still here, heart still beating, still proud, still growing, still prospering, still improving, still standing. They, and him, are still. Full stop.

quality line :agree:

don't buy this **** about not speaking ill of the dead, if someones a ****, theyre a ****, dead or alive, IMO wallace mercer was a ****, therefore is still a ****

vein
05-06-2010, 11:08 PM
can't be ersed reading the whole thread so apologies if this has been covered but.... If Mercer had been succesful i wouldn't have met some guys who i would consider as being some of my best mates now so for his family to suggest he was right is just plain absolute pish, football isn't about winning all the time it's about the community and friendship it provides, these ignorant mongos clearly have no idea about it so **** them.

I've got a few english mates that i've introduced to hibs and one of the biggest selling points is how we reacted to the takeover bid and the fact we still revel in his death, IMO that shows a passion that not all clubs have got.

My only complaint is that he didn't die a slow and painfull enough death.

I STILL HATE MERCER

Classless fool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But maybe I shall buy you a pint for that post sir.

Still remember walking through the school gates after lunch hearing there will be no more Hibs as a 10 year old laddie, all because of this fat gout ridden tory prick.

19 years later whos laughing Wallace?

DaveF
05-06-2010, 11:19 PM

Exactly.

I don't give a flying one re those hypocritical ****wits on kickback and I care less (if that's possible) about any of the FTB's family.

He's dead, we are not.

Mercer GTF.

Long live Hibernian FC.

vein
05-06-2010, 11:21 PM
Exactly.

I don't give a flying one re those hypocritical ****wits on kickback and I care less (if that's possible) about any of the FTB's family.

He's dead, we are not.

Mercer GTF.

Long live Hibernian FC.

Amen.

bingo70
05-06-2010, 11:28 PM
Classless fool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But maybe I shall buy you a pint for that post sir.

Still remember walking through the school gates after lunch hearing there will be no more Hibs as a 10 year old laddie, all because of this fat gout ridden tory prick.

to be honest mate, i don't remember any of it, surprised you do TBH, you've clearly drank a lot less than me over the last few years :greengrin

the way i see it though, i wouldn't have been best man at my mates (rents) wedding last year and i wouldn't have met my mate (mark) that gave me a job in sales if it wasn't for hibs, thats two life changing experiences right there, and thats just what i can think of off the top of my head.

even thinking of us not existing for the last 20 years is a complete head **** and is something that all hearts fans should be thoroughly ashamed of, i'm sure they're not though.

vein
05-06-2010, 11:36 PM
to be honest mate, i don't remember any of it, surprised you do TBH, you've clearly drank a lot less than me over the last few years :greengrin

the way i see it though, i wouldn't have been best man at my mates (rents) wedding last year and i wouldn't have met my mate (mark) that gave me a job in sales if it wasn't for hibs, thats two life changing experiences right there, and thats just what i can think of off the top of my head.

even thinking of us not existing for the last 20 years is a complete head **** and is something that all hearts fans should be thoroughly ashamed of, i'm sure they're not though.

wouldnt be hard :agree:

Anyway I do remember it like it was yesterday and I remember it ripping me apart inside thinking that the team I loved was going to be no more in a few weeks. These were my feelings before I had even set foot in Easter Road btw, wasnt allowed to go until my big bro was old enough to take me!

Pete
06-06-2010, 01:23 AM
What the **** is going on when we are wishing "slow, lingering deaths" on people??

Maybe it's easier to say that about someone that's already dead?

FFS It's going beyond caring for the club with all this nonsense. If we want to portray the image that we're backward facing, ******ed supporters then we're doing well.

It's time to grow up and move on.

Hibernia Na Eir
06-06-2010, 08:10 AM
Mercer's got worms in his eye sockets :greengrin

tamig
06-06-2010, 10:08 AM
What the **** is going on when we are wishing "slow, lingering deaths" on people??

Maybe it's easier to say that about someone that's already dead?

FFS It's going beyond caring for the club with all this nonsense. If we want to portray the image that we're backward facing, ******ed supporters then we're doing well.

It's time to grow up and move on.

Think you'll probably find that this one was stirred up by his family's open letter in Friday's News.

They're the ones that are backward facing here. People are entitled to their opinions and entitled to respond to some outlandish statement from people who know nothing about our club or ohow we feel about it. Think you're out of order to use the word ******ed in this context. The man tried to kill our club ffs. It had a huge impact on many of us and a large number will never and can never forgive Mercer.

Mercer GTF.

Jamesie
06-06-2010, 10:15 AM
I do start to get a bit uncomfortable with the whole "slow lingering deaths to his family" vibe which, by implication, extends to, say, his grandchildren who are pretty innocent in the whole thing. You can choose your friends...

Sure, the Mercers open letter is crass, ill informed and just plain stupid, but they're only expressing an opinion at the end of the day, albeit a very distasteful one. Does that mean they should have slow lingering deaths?

Bostonhibby
06-06-2010, 10:34 AM
I do start to get a bit uncomfortable with the whole "slow lingering deaths to his family" vibe which, by implication, extends to, say, his grandchildren who are pretty innocent in the whole thing. You can choose your friends...

Sure, the Mercers open letter is crass, ill informed and just plain stupid, but they're only expressing an opinion at the end of the day, albeit a very distasteful one. Does that mean they should have slow lingering deaths?

:agree: I wish Mercers former club and all their followers a first hand dose of what we Hibbys felt when it looked like our club was on the way out, , they are already much further into the journey than we were before we decided to do something about and they actually seem to be perpetuating rather than challenging it.

Mercer's family appear to be as odious, self centred and deluded as he was but I really do think it's better to leave them alone in their insular wee world rather than wishing any actual harm on them, I have no problem with attacking their views on this subject, debate is healthy, and I think having a go at Mercer himself is fair game within reason, exactly the same way as he felt about our "sensitivities".

I don't think he gave a damn about whether what he was planning offended Hibs traditions, or Hibs people dead or alive, In that context he is fair game. On this occasion the rather generous interpretation of history / reality that his family have decided to spout forth is at best ill timed and they must be pretty naive or suffering from in bred arrogance if they thought they could just do it and expect their spin to be accepted as accurate. As many have said, they don't understand football or its people.

Might have been better to let sleeping dogs lie, or is it lying dogs sleep? either way, wishing people who probably have deeper personal attachment to the fat fraud personal harm is a step too far for me, however deluded their conclusions. The institutions he was part of is another matter entirely.

Phil D. Rolls
06-06-2010, 01:41 PM
aw shucks...........me bad

No, you just wrong. :agree:

Diclonius
06-06-2010, 02:03 PM

We wish it on one person who tried to kill our club. They wish it on every single Hibs fan, official, or player.

Source: Kickback.

**** 'em. :bye:

Phil D. Rolls
06-06-2010, 02:48 PM
We wish it on one person who tried to kill our club. They wish it on every single Hibs fan, official, or player.

Source: Kickback.

**** 'em. :bye:

Yeah, except they don't.

I'll wager that anyone who wishes a slow lingering death on a human being, has never seen a slow lingering death. Or indeed a death.

Lofarl
06-06-2010, 03:00 PM
Indeed cancer is a horrible way to die. I dont even wish it on Mercer.

blackpoolhibs
06-06-2010, 03:43 PM
Indeed cancer is a horrible way to die. I dont even wish it on Mercer.

I don't think it would make much difference now?