PDA

View Full Version : Collins article in The Scotsman

GlesgaeHibby
04-06-2010, 09:47 AM
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/John-Collins-39Poor-coaching-has.6340645.jp

He talks about poor coaching costing Scotland's place at World Cup Finals.

As usual he speaks so much sense, and I can't understand why certain members of our team didn't approve of his coaching methods given that he preaches great levels of fitness and spends a lot of time on ball control.

GloryGlory
04-06-2010, 09:54 AM
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/John-Collins-39Poor-coaching-has.6340645.jp

He talks about poor coaching costing Scotland's place at World Cup Finals.

As usual he speaks so much sense, and I can't understand why certain members of our team didn't approve of his coaching methods given that he preaches great levels of fitness and spends a lot of time on ball control.

Think you've answered your own question there. :agree:

Westie1875
04-06-2010, 10:17 AM
The SFA should be offering JC a job

matty_f
04-06-2010, 10:17 AM
I really wish the players had bought into Collins' methods and ethos when he was at Hibs. I think Yogi has the same outlook, thankfully and if he gets the time he needs, he is in a good position to change the culture at the football club.

I've seen the youth coaches at Hibs first hand, and they are fantastic. The number of times players are switched position and asked to do different things shows how well coached these players are, and Hibs rightly have a fantastic reputation at that level.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
04-06-2010, 10:33 PM
The SFA should be offering JC a job

:agree:

essexhibee
04-06-2010, 10:41 PM
The guy talks so much sense. So much. He could do wonders for scottish football imo. Shame the players are all to lazy ****s to do anything. :rolleyes:

Sas_The_Hibby
04-06-2010, 10:53 PM
I really wish the players had bought into Collins' methods and ethos when he was at Hibs. I think Yogi has the same outlook, thankfully and if he gets the time he needs, he is in a good position to change the culture at the football club.

I've seen the youth coaches at Hibs first hand, and they are fantastic. The number of times players are switched position and asked to do different things shows how well coached these players are, and Hibs rightly have a fantastic reputation at that level.

They're two very different personalities, though. Collins gave the impression of patronising the players whilst Hughes seems to try and be one of the lads. Neither of these methods gets the best out of players IMHO.

matty_f
04-06-2010, 11:13 PM
They're two very different personalities, though. Collins gave the impression of patronising the players whilst Hughes seems to try and be one of the lads. Neither of these methods gets the best out of players IMHO.

Yogi said he recognised that Collins tried to change too much, too soon and that he was going to try to implement step changes. I think it's the right way to go and that eventually it'll benefit the club.

Mixu was scared to change too much after the JC debacle, and Hughes recognised that there needs to be a middle ground. Getting the players on his side was the start and from there he can start to make big changes.

Hainan Hibs
04-06-2010, 11:22 PM
Collins speaks sense and is complete right I think in the way we should develop players.

Unfortunately the blazers seem to do nothing other than say a few words here and there and the mentality of developing players only if they are big will remain.

I've seen it in some cases of boys getting turned away at 15 or 16 because they're no big enough. I think that is horrendous given their age and stage of development.

Hopefully with the likes of Dorrans and Snodgrass coming through the national team can start progressing. Relying on Kenny Miller running about daft like a heidless chicken depresses me.

heretoday
05-06-2010, 05:25 AM
Come back to Easter Road!

Sas_The_Hibby
05-06-2010, 09:34 AM
Come back to Easter Road!

Aye, the pies are braw and you'll probably get a complementary seat in the Executive Box! :greengrin

NORTHERNHIBBY
05-06-2010, 11:03 AM
I think that Collins lacks a bit of the human touch that lets people talk to others rather than talking at them. For all the sense that he makes, you can't coach natural ability into players and while he does come across as more than a bit conceited, I wonder if he realises that what came easy to him as a footballer, does not come so easily to others. Mind you, when you look at all the dumplings he brought to ER during his tenure it would be fair to question his eye for a player.

blackpoolhibs
05-06-2010, 12:57 PM
I think that Collins lacks a bit of the human touch that lets people talk to others rather than talking at them. For all the sense that he makes, you can't coach natural ability into players and while he does come across as more than a bit conceited, I wonder if he realises that what came easy to him as a footballer, does not come so easily to others. Mind you, when you look at all the dumplings he brought to ER during his tenure it would be fair to question his eye for a player.

:agree: :top marks

broonie27
05-06-2010, 09:23 PM
I actually commented on that Scotsman piece as I totally agree with the guy. This is what i posted:

"Well said John and all true. We also need to give the average Scottish football punter some coaching as well. The amount of time I've heard an impatient crowd screaming at their players to "get it up the park" is unbelievable. Ten seconds of inactivity on the pitch and all the bears are throwing abuse at their own team. It would be laughable if it wasn't so detrimental not only to their own players and team but to Scottish football as a whole."