PDA

View Full Version : Greggs Blackpool are in for Deeks

Riordans Boots
03-06-2010, 09:28 AM
****** bugger damn :boo hoo: :grr:

http://sport.scotsman.com/football/The-Rumour-Mill-Thursday39s-football.6337913.jp

HibbyAndy
03-06-2010, 09:34 AM
Can seriously see him heading there:agree:

cwilliamson85
03-06-2010, 09:37 AM
Blackpool want Riordan

Newly-promoted Blackburn are reported to be keen on landing Hibs midfielder Derek Riordan, who has less than a year to run on his current Easter Road contract. (Sun)

Which team??

blackpoolhibs
03-06-2010, 09:45 AM
Don't worry, i will look after him.

DaveF
03-06-2010, 09:48 AM
I think it would be a great move for him.

Not too far from 'home' but far enough to get away from it all.

A chance to test himself against the best, and see a big improvement in his game as he will need to raise his performance levels to even get in the team.

Money for Hibs and a good payday for the player.

I don't want to lose Riordan but I can see the benefits all round if this were to come off.

blackpoolhibs
03-06-2010, 09:52 AM
I have no idea if this is true, but imho Derek would flop in the EPL. He's not strong enough, does not work hard enough, and wont get the time on the ball he does in scotland. He'd be brushed off the ball like a kid playing against men. If a daft english club offer silly money for him, i'd bite their hands off. He'd be back up the road within a year with his tail between his legs.

Auckland Hibs
03-06-2010, 09:53 AM

A chance to test himself against the best, and see a big improvement in his game as he will need to raise his performance levels to even get in the team.

I don't want to lose Riordan but I can see the benefits all round if this were to come off.

Haven't Smeltic got a decent cut for any fee we receive for Deeks?

Personally unless we get silly money i.e £2m + then I'd rather he stayed at ER.

Broken Gnome
03-06-2010, 09:59 AM
I have no idea if this is true, but imho Derek would flop in the EPL. He's not strong enough, does not work hard enough, and wont get the time on the ball he does in scotland. He'd be brushed off the ball like a kid playing against men. If a daft english club offer silly money for him, i'd bite their hands off. He'd be back up the road within a year with his tail between his legs.

I don't think he'd get anywhere near enough game for any of that to be proven.

The_Sauz
03-06-2010, 10:01 AM
That's what we are all worried about :greengrin

LancashireHibby
03-06-2010, 10:18 AM
If they offer a decent fee then we'd be daft to turn it down. Would be a great move for him, though I too fear he wouldn't be a raving success.

darwenhibby
03-06-2010, 10:20 AM

Its not you that worries me G, its PTS.

And now for the next part of my prediction, who is coming in the opposite direction:hmmm::wink:

Ritchie
03-06-2010, 10:23 AM

rubbish... he will most likely be played in his proper position elsewhere, as striker.

if you give him the ball in the right area he'll score no matter who the opposition are.

Jack
03-06-2010, 10:23 AM
Haven't Smeltic got a decent cut for any fee we receive for Deeks?

Personally unless we get silly money i.e £2m + then I'd rather he stayed at ER.

Rumours of up to 50%, which IMO makes it plain daft to sell him unless, as you say, for silly money.

Antifa Hibs
03-06-2010, 10:29 AM
Does Blackpool operate the Unight scheme? If no Deeks will be down in a flash. Can seem him now swaggering about Sanuk and the Manchester :agree: :greengrin

erskine-hibby
03-06-2010, 10:30 AM
rubbish... he will most likely be played in his proper position elsewhere, as striker.

if you give him the ball in the right area he'll score no matter who the opposition are.

Couldn't agree more.
He is a proven goalscorer and would do well played as a striker:agree:

dangermouse
03-06-2010, 10:34 AM
Its not you that worries me G, its PTS.

And now for the next part of my prediction, who is coming in the opposite direction:hmmm::wink:

DJ Campbell?

Peevemor
03-06-2010, 10:38 AM
DJ Campbell?

Nicky? He's getting on a bit!

Sandy
Couldn't agree more.
He is a proven goalscorer and would do well played as a striker:agree:

Agree mate. But can I draw everyone's attention that this is only rumoured at the moment, and by the Sun FFS. If we don't get silly money (taking into account Celtc's cut) then I would rather not sell. How much is 15 + goals from midfield worth in a season ?, if we were to get a bid of £500,000 and the manky lot were to get half of it, I would tell them to sod off.

pentlando

:agree:

seanraff07
03-06-2010, 10:39 AM
DJ Campbell?

No thanks, he'd move to some other club a week later anyway.

darwenhibby
03-06-2010, 10:40 AM
DJ Campbell?

It aint DJ or Dobbie but a promising youngster only 18 can play both positions Deeks can.

In fact you would think he was ayoung Deeks with pace.

Callum_62
03-06-2010, 10:43 AM
Louis Almond anyone.... :wink:

BSEJVT
03-06-2010, 10:52 AM

Pretty much word for word how I would see it.

God thats worrying!

Captain Trips
03-06-2010, 10:54 AM
As much as I would like players to get the best out of themselves and maybe make money I would not take that if not best for Hibs. For me as good as a move it may be for him my interests are Hibs first so I would keep him, the move is only good for Hibs if big money is involved.

BSEJVT
03-06-2010, 10:55 AM

Couldnt disagree more.

Riordan wouldnt get a kick as a striker, which is why no-one plays him there IMO.

All teams would do would be to put a big centre half against him whose only job was to stop him and play 10 v 10

Frazerbob
03-06-2010, 10:59 AM
Serious question......

Who was the last manager to regularly play Deek in his "proper possition" of striker?

Captain Trips
03-06-2010, 11:02 AM
I would get him into office, offer him one of the best contracts possible, maybe using the Fletcher sell on money. DR is a match winner and should be kept if wants to stay.

seanraff07
03-06-2010, 11:04 AM
Serious question......

Who was the last manager to regularly play Deek in his "proper possition" of striker?

I'm sure Mowbray's first season(2004/05) he played him and GO'C upfront all season and Deeks scored 23 league goals that season.

Ray_
03-06-2010, 11:13 AM

DR is a prolific striker in Scotland & his natural abilty in putting the ball in the net makes one of the top four or five that Hibs have ever had, I can't see how him departing could be of any benefit to the club as you could never replace the kind of talent he has with the cash we would get.

HUTCHYHIBBY
03-06-2010, 11:16 AM

I'm wondering what the benefits would be to Hibs as I think we'd struggle to replace him.

matty_f
03-06-2010, 11:17 AM
DR is a prolific striker in Scotland & his natural abilty in putting the ball in the net makes one of the top four or five that Hibs have ever had, I can't see how him departing could be of any benefit to the club as you could never replace the kind of talent he has with the cash we would get.

How much did we get him for?

How much was Stokes?

scoopyboy
03-06-2010, 11:19 AM
I'm wondering what the benefits would be to Hibs as I think we'd struggle to replace him.

I'm not sure if its a good move for Hibs, Blackpool or Deeks.

The one thing I do know is I want to see him play for Hibs until the end of his career.

They don't grow on trees you know.

HUTCHYHIBBY
03-06-2010, 11:21 AM
I concur! :agree:

Gatecrasher
03-06-2010, 11:24 AM
I would get him into office, offer him one of the best contracts possible, maybe using the Fletcher sell on money. DR is a match winner and should be kept if wants to stay.

agreed, if he signs then brilliant, if not then sadly Blackpool/some other interested team it is

Sir David Gray
03-06-2010, 11:28 AM
I can see this happening and, if it did materialise, I would be seriously gutted.

It will be almost impossible for a club like Hibs to replace the amount of goals that Derek Riordan has scored in his Hibs career. I know we still have Stokes and if Riordan does leave, I'd like to think we wouldn't sell Stokes as well in the summer.

Derek Riordan is good for around 15-20 goals every single season and without the goals from him and Stokes, I dread to think where we might have ended up last season.

Dinkydoo
03-06-2010, 11:30 AM
It certainly would be a step in the right direction for a player of his calliber. If he wants to really make anything of himself, he needs to be thinking about a move down south or futher abroad in the next year or so.

However, I really hope he doesn't go as he's one of the few players in our current squad that can make something out of nothing.

Bit off topic but noticed this bit too:

Hibs to pocket £1m from Fletcher deal

The Record reports that Hibs will pocket £1m if Steven Fletcher passes his medical at Wolves today.

The former Hibs player has agreed a £7m switch from Burnley.

Pretty good piece of business that :agree:

johnrebus
03-06-2010, 11:37 AM
How some people seem to have such ambivalent feelings towards Derek Riordan leaving ER is beyond me.

Deek is not perfect but in many ways he symbolises what Hibernian FC is all about and I want to see him stay and finish his career with us.

I don't give a damn about any fee, I just do not want to see him leave.

:boo hoo:

Riordans Boots
03-06-2010, 11:43 AM
How some people seem to have such ambivalent feelings towards Derek Riordan leaving ER is beyond me.

Deek is not perfect but in many ways he symbolises what Hibernian FC is all about and I want to see him stay and finish his career with us.

Amen :not worth

Scouse Hibee
03-06-2010, 11:45 AM
I would not like to see us lose Deek as I don't see how we would replace his goals with the money we would get for him. I also can't see him being a great signing for Blackpool as the EPL is in my opinion a step too far for Deek. He is not the type of signing they should be considering if they hold out any hope of staying up.

blackpoolhibs
03-06-2010, 11:53 AM

I'd like to see him stay, he scores goals in the SPL, he scores them for us, and he does it every season. This is his level imho, and i'd like him to stay. I stand by what i said earlier though, never strong enough for the EPL.

Speedway
03-06-2010, 11:53 AM

As I recall, he signed a three year deal with us two years ago with a clause that he could leave at anytime for a certain amount if an EPL team came in for him.

Amen :not worth

We've won nothing with him in the team and a league cup once he'd gone. So all this talk of 'unable to replace his goals' is pash IMO.

I would not like to see us lose Deek as I don't see how we would replace his goals with the money we would get for him. I also can't see him being a great signing for Blackpool as the EPL is in my opinion a step too far for Deek. He is not the type of signing they should be considering if they hold out any hope of staying up.

Didn't we say the same about Charlie Adam in the championship?

Phil MaGlass
03-06-2010, 12:18 PM
lets hope its a swap deal and sellik get f,all for him

MyJo
03-06-2010, 12:19 PM
lets hope its a swap deal and sellik get f,all for him

we could swap him for Dobbie and give Celtc his fat bits as thier cut :greengrin

GreenPJ
03-06-2010, 12:20 PM
I can see this happening and, if it did materialise, I would be seriously gutted.

It will be almost impossible for a club like Hibs to replace the amount of goals that Derek Riordan has scored in his Hibs career. I know we still have Stokes and if Riordan does leave, I'd like to think we wouldn't sell Stokes as well in the summer.

Derek Riordan is good for around 15-20 goals every single season and without the goals from him and Stokes, I dread to think where we might have ended up last season.

Dundee Utd scored less than us and finished above us.

Ritchie
03-06-2010, 12:21 PM
It aint DJ or Dobbie but a promising youngster only 18 can play both positions Deeks can.

In fact you would think he was ayoung Deeks with pace.

id be extremely surprised if dobbie or dj were involved in the deal considering they dont belong to blackpool! :rolleyes:

blackpoolhibs
03-06-2010, 12:23 PM
we could swap him for Dobbie and give Celtc his fat bits as thier cut :greengrin

:faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf: :top marks

Imagine dobbie stopping off at celtic park for some liposuction?

Sir David Gray
03-06-2010, 12:32 PM
Dundee Utd scored less than us and finished above us.

That's because they had/have a better defence than us.

Chuckie
03-06-2010, 12:40 PM

:thumbsup:

GreenPJ
03-06-2010, 01:03 PM
That's because they had/have a better defence than us.

A better defence did not make them score more goals than us. They had better shape and structure. I think Derek really came onto a game in the last few games of the season but for at least 50% of the season he was a passenger (he wasn't the only one I might add).

If Deek were not at the club then maybe Yogi would play a more structured formation with 1 or 2 up front and proper midfielders.

I am not necessarily endorsing the fact that we should sell Derek but if we were to forfeit his goals to ultimately win more games due to a better structure I would not complain.

Scouse Hibee
03-06-2010, 01:08 PM
As I recall, he signed a three year deal with us two years ago with a clause that he could leave at anytime for a certain amount if an EPL team came in for him.

We've won nothing with him in the team and a league cup once he'd gone. So all this talk of 'unable to replace his goals' is pash IMO.

Didn't we say the same about Charlie Adam in the championship?

We're talking about the Premiership not the Championship no comparison.

Hibs On Tour
03-06-2010, 01:54 PM

How much was Stokes?

Both of whom were proven SPL goalscorers when we got them so little risk. Name me some alternative proven SPL goalscorers we'd be likely to pick up for the same price?

Hibs On Tour
03-06-2010, 01:56 PM
I'd like to see him stay, he scores goals in the SPL, he scores them for us, and he does it every season. This is his level imho, and i'd like him to stay. I stand by what i said earlier though, never strong enough for the EPL.

And that, ultimately, should be all we are concerned about. Who gives a **** if he'd get his game at Blackpool or if he's EPL class? What difference does that make to us as Hibs fans? He is SPL class and does it for us and hopefully will continue to for a lot longer IMHO.

Ray_
03-06-2010, 02:00 PM

How much was Stokes?

Riordan is the best natural finisher I've seen in a Hibs strip, Stokes is not and we have more chance of keeping Riordan for more years than Stokes, providing we pay the money.

LancsHibs
03-06-2010, 02:01 PM
Nothing about Riordan in todays 'Blackpool Evening Gazette':dunno: Lists signing targets as Paddy McCourt from Celtic & Garry Kenneth from Dundee Unt, but no Deeks:thumbsup:

J-C
03-06-2010, 03:00 PM

Only problem being Dobbie is contracted to Swansea.:greengrin

matty_f
03-06-2010, 03:02 PM
Riordan is the best natural finisher I've seen in a Hibs strip, Stokes is not and we have more chance of keeping Riordan for more years than Stokes, providing we pay the money.

But we were able to sign these players with our budget, yes?

matty_f
03-06-2010, 03:04 PM
Both of whom were proven SPL goalscorers when we got them so little risk. Name me some alternative proven SPL goalscorers we'd be likely to pick up for the same price?

Do they have to be proven at SPL level? Surely there are other players like Stokes who have fallen out of favour somewhere and are available to the right club, but without necessarily having played in Scotland.

If we're limiting it to SPL strikers we're looking at a fairly pish level, IMHO.

Hibs On Tour
03-06-2010, 03:20 PM
Do they have to be proven at SPL level? Surely there are other players like Stokes who have fallen out of favour somewhere and are available to the right club, but without necessarily having played in Scotland.

If we're limiting it to SPL strikers we're looking at a fairly pish level, IMHO.

If we're crashing out the sums we spent on either DR or AS then yes IMO they do need to be proven. These are sums at the top end of our scale - we can't afford to take big gambles. I'm not saying just SPL but certainly to that level at least.

HibbyAndy
03-06-2010, 03:29 PM
Two years ago a would have pished masel laughing at the thought of Blackpool trying to get Deek, Now they are in arguably the best league in the world (Albeit for 1 humble season IMO) and could have every chance of sighnin Deek.

Hope he doesnt go myself, But if not Blackpool i feel DR has played his last game for the Cabbage.

matty_f
03-06-2010, 03:31 PM
Hughes has shown that he can spot that sort of player. There are thousands of footballers that we could pick from, lots of them available within our budget.

cheltenhamhibee
03-06-2010, 03:31 PM
Louis Almond anyone.... :wink:

Oh dear lord NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!! he was rubbish on loan at cheltenham

Ray_
03-06-2010, 04:02 PM
But we were able to sign these players with our budget, yes?

As mentioned Riordan is proven, Nade was on anywhere between 3-5 times what Deek is on, didn't make him a better scorer though.

darwenhibby
03-06-2010, 04:24 PM
Oh dear lord NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!! he was rubbish on loan at cheltenham

The manager perservering with Haynes and Alsop with no movement.

The fans who were at Rotherham, Crewe Shrewsbury Shouting for him to be brought on.
I never heard anyone with that opinion.

The shape of the team went when he came off at Macclesfield

Oh and Young Player of the Year at Blackpool.

Struggle on next season Farmer:bye:

Beefster
03-06-2010, 04:43 PM
Hughes has shown that he can spot that sort of player. There are thousands of footballers that we could pick from, lots of them available within our budget.

I don't think that Hughes has shown, at Hibs, that he can spot a player yet. Goalkeepers aside, he's only signed guys who played for him at Falkirk and Liam Miller. Considering Miller played for Celtic, Man Utd, Leeds and Sunderland, Hughes hardly 'spotted' him.

cheltenhamhibee
03-06-2010, 04:50 PM
The manager perservering with Haynes and Alsop with no movement.

The fans who were at Rotherham, Crewe Shrewsbury Shouting for him to be brought on.
I never heard anyone with that opinion.

The shape of the team went when he came off at Macclesfield

Oh and Young Player of the Year at Blackpool.

Struggle on next season Farmer:bye:

having been at 2 of the games you refer to i can honestly say what a load of b******s !!! but i suppose hearsay and conjecture will be right eh ? there was about 5 laddies shouting for him to come on, honestly he is pash !!

Westie1875
03-06-2010, 05:19 PM
I'm not sure if its a good move for Hibs, Blackpool or Deeks.

The one thing I do know is I want to see him play for Hibs until the end of his career.

They don't grow on trees you know.

Amen to that, do we need to start a "Deek must stay" campaign? :greengrin

Bostonhibby
03-06-2010, 05:21 PM

:agree: as I have said before, to lose him once is careless, to do it twice is something else again, I understand all the economic arguments from us and his agent and also the challenge of playing in a bigger league etc........ but just this time, if we are ever going to break our bank to retain someone and think about more than just the balance sheet - make it now. I know all the hard nosed business arguments here but this is the emotional one and if we can possibly let the heart rule the head and he wants to stay lets try and do it just this once, for the fans? It's not as if we are skint this time around......

bighairyfaeleith
03-06-2010, 05:26 PM
**** off blackpool

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

matty_f
03-06-2010, 05:56 PM
I don't think that Hughes has shown, at Hibs, that he can spot a player yet. Goalkeepers aside, he's only signed guys who played for him at Falkirk and Liam Miller. Considering Miller played for Celtic, Man Utd, Leeds and Sunderland, Hughes hardly 'spotted' him.

Ok, hughes has still to show it at hibs, but he got stokes first time round...

Edit - in fact, the argument earlier was that we wouldn't be able to get a proven player to replace Deek. So if we acknowledge that Miller was proven (having played for Celtc, Man U, Leeds and Sunderland), we can accept that we'd be able to get a proven player on Hibs budget.

matty_f
03-06-2010, 06:24 PM
As mentioned Riordan is proven, Nade was on anywhere between 3-5 times what Deek is on, didn't make him a better scorer though.

Why won't you answer the question? You're original point was that we wouldn't get a player like Riordan on our budget.

We managed to sign Riordan and Stokes on our budget. That is a fact.

Are you now saying that if we had more of a budget we wouldn't be able to sign a player as good as Riordan, and that we'd end up with a Nade-esque player?

Nade never proved himself as a goalscorer anywhere. His career goals total is pish.

The Silver Fox
03-06-2010, 06:43 PM
Hibs missed out on a decent transfer fee the last time Riordan was at Easter Road. Rod Petrie won't make the same mistake again. If Hibs can get £1.5m then he will be off, maybe less. He will be a big loss though.

I had a feeling the along with Bamba... Deek, Miller or Stokes would be leaving once they had resurrected their careers.

Jonnyboy
03-06-2010, 07:41 PM
I'd be gutted if Derek left. For all his faults and he does have a few, he's the best footballer at ER right now.

The outcry if he goes could be likened to the departure of Colin Stein many moons ago. We were gutted when he left and wondered who could possibly come in and score the goals. Then Hibs signed Joe McBride who scored one on his debut, three against Leipzig in his second game and four against Morton in his third and the cry was 'Colin who?'

We can live in hope I guess :greengrin

Ray_
03-06-2010, 07:50 PM
Why won't you answer the question? You're original point was that we wouldn't get a player like Riordan on our budget.

We managed to sign Riordan and Stokes on our budget. That is a fact.

Are you now saying that if we had more of a budget we wouldn't be able to sign a player as good as Riordan, and that we'd end up with a Nade-esque player?

Nade never proved himself as a goalscorer anywhere. His career goals total is pish.

1) As I said that I thought that he was the best natural striker I had seen playing for Hibs, then no I don't think we would be able to replace him, within our budget, without weakening that area of the team.

2) Riordan's record at Hibs and in the SPL is known, we can spend a lot more money on a player who has never played for Hibs and/or in the SPL and not get what we have with Riordan, I used Nade as a blatant example in the Scottish game, but there are countless more.

I know Boyd is looking like being available & O'Connor may be available as well, but, given they are different types of players and one, if not both, definitely out of our range, after that I can't think of many who are available with a record in Scottish football as prolific as Deeks.

A look back at the players who have cost the club a fortune in transfer fees and wages over the last fifteen years and failed highlights the gamble bringing in new and untested players.

Ray_
03-06-2010, 08:01 PM
I'd be gutted if Derek left. For all his faults and he does have a few, he's the best footballer at ER right now.

The outcry if he goes could be likened to the departure of Colin Stein many moons ago. We were gutted when he left and wondered who could possibly come in and score the goals. Then Hibs signed Joe McBride who scored one on his debut, three against Leipzig in his second game and four against Morton in his third and the cry was 'Colin who?'

We can live in hope I guess :greengrin

Joe was a wonderful player, but sadly he was at the club for just over two years. We then struggled for some time after that to get a natural scorer in, we did get Joe Baker, but with respect, Joe's best days were well behind him and it wasn't until Alan Gordon came in that the problem was solved.

Further on in that decade, things got even worse, for all his faults, Joe Harper could score goals and after he left in the mid-seventies it wasn't until the eighties and likes of Irvine, Durie & Cowan came along until we had decent scorers once more. After witnessing those dry times, it's little wonder I'm so aghast at the thought of losing somebody with the natural ability of DR.

Luna_Asylum
03-06-2010, 08:20 PM
If Blackpool offer Hibs £1m and Deek £10k a week its a done deal.
Will we miss him? He is not possible to replace but we may do OK without him also.
Would he do well in the EPL? I used to think so but take away his free kicks (unfair) and then on last seasons performances you are not left with much.
As for him being played out of position I don't really buy that myself.

darwenhibby
03-06-2010, 08:54 PM
having been at 2 of the games you refer to i can honestly say what a load of b******s !!! but i suppose hearsay and conjecture will be right eh ? there was about 5 laddies shouting for him to come on, honestly he is pash !!

The 5 that try and create an atmosphere for you We hate Gloucester and Hereford:faf:

It makes ER look the Camp Nou

Did you not think it was your pash around who survived by the skin of their teeth.
Your manager had to bring in two 18yr olds to give expeienced players a kick up the backside when FFS their pride should have been the motivation not an 18yr old coming along as threat.

I refer to all the other games not just two.
More movement more enthusiasm to run at defenders.

Crewe a deflected goal soft penalty, holding on for dear life against a team with nothing to play for.
Two lardies up front.
There was more movement in the last 3 minutes up front which took the pressure off the defence.

Macclesfield no outlet option when he went off, eventually losing to a mistake that Maka,Smith, Stack and Zibbi would have been slated on here for.
His home debute was given 70mins in his football league debut.

5minutes against Accrington at the end of the season.

So in total 138 mins of football you can make a judgement on a 18 yr old who Blackpool have given a 2 1/2 yr deal, made young player of the year and if he is not at ER next season could be playing in the EPL.

However I bow to your jugdement.
Next time go to Tynecastle they play the kind of football you are used to

Pub team Pub Club

cheltenhamhibee
04-06-2010, 01:39 AM
The 5 that try and create an atmosphere for you We hate Gloucester and Hereford:faf:

It makes ER look the Camp Nou

Did you not think it was your pash around who survived by the skin of their teeth.
Your manager had to bring in two 18yr olds to give expeienced players a kick up the backside when FFS their pride should have been the motivation not an 18yr old coming along as threat.

I refer to all the other games not just two.
More movement more enthusiasm to run at defenders.

Crewe a deflected goal soft penalty, holding on for dear life against a team with nothing to play for.
Two lardies up front.
There was more movement in the last 3 minutes up front which took the pressure off the defence.

Macclesfield no outlet option when he went off, eventually losing to a mistake that Maka,Smith, Stack and Zibbi would have been slated on here for.
His home debute was given 70mins in his football league debut.

5minutes against Accrington at the end of the season.

So in total 138 mins of football you can make a judgement on a 18 yr old who Blackpool have given a 2 1/2 yr deal, made young player of the year and if he is not at ER next season could be playing in the EPL.

However I bow to your jugdement.
Next time go to Tynecastle they play the kind of football you are used to

Pub team Pub Club

all i have said is my opinion if you dont like fair enough, and as for the remark about going tae the PBS !!! :take that:LOL: ps, cannae be ersed tae argue

weonlywon6-2
04-06-2010, 06:54 AM

it will be hard for him to turn this one down. more money, house over looking the sea, and a roller coaster to play on on his days off !!

lucky
04-06-2010, 08:07 AM
If it is true then Deeks would be mad not to go. One season in the EPL will set him up financially with the back up of two seasons in the championship will easily net him £1.5 m. He will also get the chance to prove himself in a top league and you never know he could do well.

Scottish football can not compete with the EPL and championship on salary and standard of football as such most SPL players will join these leagues in a flash. Apparently we could not compete on the wages front for Arfield as such he joined Huddersfield in league 1.

LancsHibs
04-06-2010, 08:19 AM
If it is true then Deeks would be mad not to go. One season in the EPL will set him up financially with the back up of two seasons in the championship will easily net him £1.5 m. He will also get the chance to prove himself in a top league and you never know he could do well.

Scottish football can not compete with the EPL and championship on salary and standard of football as such most SPL players will join these leagues in a flash. Apparently we could not compete on the wages front for Arfield as such he joined Huddersfield in league 1.

Unfortunately true, same situation as Fletch going to Burnley last year. Not done him any harm!!
If we are to lose Deeks suppose its better at the start of the transfer window than the end, down to Yogi to sourse a replacement and spend wisely!!
A(nother) sad day if he does go:boo hoo:

Musselbound
04-06-2010, 09:11 AM
It seems quite a feasable move for me. I don't think Blackpool are going to spend huge money because they will be the smallest club in the EPL, they have a stand to build and at the end of the day they know their chances of staying there for more than one season will be slim. They'll be looking around for bargains and they already got a fantastic one from the SPL in the shape of Charlie Adam for around 500k. Deeks would score a few for them and I think he'd prove value for money for them in the 500-750k bracket.

I've no idea if this is maybe just journos putting two and two together but if there is anything in it then Hibs need to weigh up what the chances are of Deeks signing a new contract. This could be his only opportunity to play at the top level in England. There's also the question of whether those in charge at ER are that keen on keeping him. If the answer to either of the above is no then any such transfer has to be considered although I feel anything around 500k is poor money for a striker who scores as regularly as he does. But if we could get someone like Leigh Griffiths in for around half the money we get for Riordan it might be worth thinking about and building for the future if Deeks isn't likely to stay around anyway.

blackpoolhibs
04-06-2010, 11:40 AM
Its made the local paper today.

LancsHibs
04-06-2010, 11:44 AM

Obviously somebody on the sportsdesk at the Gazette has been scanning 'football rumours':shhhsh!:

3pm
04-06-2010, 12:47 PM

Fish Supper for lunch then?! :greengrin

darwenhibby
04-06-2010, 01:12 PM

Does it say who we are getting in a swap deal.

Hope its no that Almond apparently he was pash when he played for the mighty Cheltenham

Andy74
04-06-2010, 01:33 PM
Sorry, but I can't see any way that Riordan would get a game for an EPL side, even one destined to be at the bottom of it.

You need either pace or physical presence and he has neither. He can't reallt go by anybody in the SPL so how would he do it in the EPL?

Give him some space in the right position and he'll rattle the odd thing in but I just can't see this happening.

Riordans Boots
04-06-2010, 01:50 PM

You kidding :greengrin Give us the link then :cool2:

blackpoolhibs
04-06-2010, 02:16 PM
You kidding :greengrin Give us the link then :cool2:

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sports-news

HibbyAndy
04-06-2010, 02:19 PM

Nice picture of Deek in a Celtc top :rolleyes::bitchy:

bighairyfaeleith
04-06-2010, 02:44 PM
Like I said earlier

**** off blackpool

Riordans Boots
04-06-2010, 05:12 PM

£500,000 aye right :bye:

Golden Bear
04-06-2010, 05:15 PM
£500,000 aye right :bye:

Like it or not, that's a lot of sheckles for a player about to enter the last year of his contract.

bighairyfaeleith
04-06-2010, 06:17 PM
Like it or not, that's a lot of sheckles for a player about to enter the last year of his contract.

I'd rather have him playing for a season than get the 500k TBH

matty_f
04-06-2010, 07:03 PM

:agree: Totally agree with that unless the money was used to improve the team.

RickyS
04-06-2010, 07:05 PM

Don't think I could stomach him walkin away for next to nowt again. c'mon Rod get it sorted

Musselbound
04-06-2010, 07:36 PM
Sorry, but I can't see any way that Riordan would get a game for an EPL side, even one destined to be at the bottom of it.

You need either pace or physical presence and he has neither. He can't reallt go by anybody in the SPL so how would he do it in the EPL?

Give him some space in the right position and he'll rattle the odd thing in but I just can't see this happening.

He might struggle to get a regular 90 mins but surely he'd be at better impact sub at that level than the likes of his old Fledgling 5 mate, Stephen Dobbie? Brett Ormerod is about the best striker they've got at the moment and I wouldn't say he is any better than Deeks.

mjhibby
04-06-2010, 07:46 PM
The annual deeks thread.Got quite used to it now.I think rod and yogi will see what at he is thinking and if he doesnt show any interest in signing an extention then its tata im afraid although this would depend on yogi having someone to replace him.Very unlikely we could get someone to get as many goals but could we get a player who would compliment the team better.An attacking mifileder with a bit of steel for instance.Someone in the pat mcginley mould.I must admit should he go i would miss him but as its happened before the blow would be softer.I think he will stay though,see out his contract and then sign another contract near the end of his contract as he knows he does best at hibs.Imho of course.

monktonharp
04-06-2010, 08:18 PM
It seems quite a feasable move for me. I don't think Blackpool are going to spend huge money because they will be the smallest club in the EPL, they have a stand to build and at the end of the day they know their chances of staying there for more than one season will be slim. They'll be looking around for bargains and they already got a fantastic one from the SPL in the shape of Charlie Adam for around 500k. Deeks would score a few for them and I think he'd prove value for money for them in the 500-750k bracket.

I've no idea if this is maybe just journos putting two and two together but if there is anything in it then Hibs need to weigh up what the chances are of Deeks signing a new contract. This could be his only opportunity to play at the top level in England. There's also the question of whether those in charge at ER are that keen on keeping him. If the answer to either of the above is no then any such transfer has to be considered although I feel anything around 500k is poor money for a striker who scores as regularly as he does. But if we could get someone like Leigh Griffiths in for around half the money we get for Riordan it might be worth thinking about and building for the future if Deeks isn't likely to stay around anyway.Errrrrrrr,quite a few valid points,Leigh Griffiths etc,but,could the likes o' him replace DEREK RIORDAN,in the eyes of maist Hibernian fans? masel included.

Hibbyradge
05-06-2010, 08:31 AM

Blackpool won't score a lot of goals from open play so they will hope to get some joy from set pieces, particularly against the teams they need to finish above.

Deek may be a bit light to make a huge impact football wise, but he will win free kicks and he'll score them.

Deek could be a hero.

For his part, he'd get to play against Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool as well as all the new superstars Man City will be signing.

Not to mention a multi-million pound contract. If Gary Caldwell is on £35k a week...

Why stay at Hibs?

truehibernian
05-06-2010, 09:13 AM
Blackpool won't score a lot of goals from open play so they will hope to get some joy from set pieces, particularly against the teams they need to finish above.

Deek may be a bit light to make a huge impact football wise, but he will win free kicks and he'll score them.

Deek could be a hero.

For his part, he'd get to play against Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool as well as all the new superstars Man City will be signing.

Not to mention a multi-million pound contract. If Gary Caldwell is on £35k a week...

Why stay at Hibs?

Good post and hit the nail on the head. Derek will definitely leave this summer, and to be fair to him and the Board, wouldn't we all consider earning 3 or 4 times our current earnings for a couple of years in a better working environment (the EPL, Championship). Of course he must be looking at certain players in his peer group and asking himself "how do they get that much". But Hibernian Football Club is in a way Derek's comfort blanket, so I will lay a wager that he will go down south, earn a few bob on a two year deal, and pop back up the road for a third time to see out his career. I know that one Championship club have offered silly money to tempt him down south and to be brutally honest, you wouldn't blame any footballer for wanting to earn short term top dollar in a profession that could end tomorrow. I do wish though that fans would get off the Board and RP's back when it comes to Derek. It's a business, and we have to cut our cloth accordingly. Offering one or two players far more than the others causes disharmony, and Derek is no diffferent to Stokes, Bamba, Zemmama and Co. If someone comes in with a decent offer, the club would be foolish not to consider it and think about how it could be used in the mid to longer term playing staff wise. The very reason we are where we are is because we have been incredibly forward thinking financially and have a Chairman recognised all over football as being hard nosed, stubborn, and unwilling to accept any old offer for our staff. As a club we are also a whisker away from zero debt, therefore I can envisage a slight change in player budget to the advantage of the manager (more money invested in the team from 2011 onwards). Good luck to Derek whatever he chooses to do, but remember Hibs will still be here, and we will no doubt have another hero to worship soon :agree:

Jamesie
05-06-2010, 09:23 AM
Good post and hit the nail on the head. Derek will definitely leave this summer, and to be fair to him and the Board, wouldn't we all consider earning 3 or 4 times our current earnings for a couple of years in a better working environment (the EPL, Championship). Of course he must be looking at certain players in his peer group and asking himself "how do they get that much". But Hibernian Football Club is in a way Derek's comfort blanket, so I will lay a wager that he will go down south, earn a few bob on a two year deal, and pop back up the road for a third time to see out his career. I know that one Championship club have offered silly money to tempt him down south and to be brutally honest, you wouldn't blame any footballer for wanting to earn short term top dollar in a profession that could end tomorrow. I do wish though that fans would get off the Board and RP's back when it comes to Derek. It's a business, and we have to cut our cloth accordingly. Offering one or two players far more than the others causes disharmony, and Derek is no diffferent to Stokes, Bamba, Zemmama and Co. If someone comes in with a decent offer, the club would be foolish not to consider it and think about how it could be used in the mid to longer term playing staff wise. The very reason we are where we are is because we have been incredibly forward thinking financially and have a Chairman recognised all over football as being hard nosed, stubborn, and unwilling to accept any old offer for our staff. As a club we are also a whisker away from zero debt, therefore I can envisage a slight change in player budget to the advantage of the manager (more money invested in the team from 2011 onwards). Good luck to Derek whatever he chooses to do, but remember Hibs will still be here, and we will no doubt have another hero to worship soon :agree:

:top marks

Musselbound
05-06-2010, 10:11 AM
Errrrrrrr,quite a few valid points,Leigh Griffiths etc,but,could the likes o' him replace DEREK RIORDAN,in the eyes of maist Hibernian fans? masel included.

I don't know but sooner or later there will come a time when Hibs fans have to face up to life without Riordan. We've done it before and I don't recall for instance his name being brought up at every opportunity when we were winning the League Cup in 2007. I would be delighted to see him sign a new contract but if not then we need to think about getting half-decent money for him this summer and looking to the future. I know it's only first division but Griffiths has an excellent scoring record for Dundee (22 in 33 games last season I think), and I reckon he and his club might be tempted by an offer of around 300k instead of taking the route to the Championship.

RickyS
05-06-2010, 11:09 AM
I don't know but sooner or later there will come a time when Hibs fans have to face up to life without Riordan. We've done it before and I don't recall for instance his name being brought up at every opportunity when we were winning the League Cup in 2007. I would be delighted to see him sign a new contract but if not then we need to think about getting half-decent money for him this summer and looking to the future. I know it's only first division but Griffiths has an excellent scoring record for Dundee (22 in 33 games last season I think), and I reckon he and his club might be tempted by an offer of around 300k instead of taking the route to the Championship.

I would rather we looked at the free scorin midfielder Gary Harkins, liked him even when he was at Thistle and I reckon he could be an excellent player in the SPL

The Silver Fox
05-06-2010, 12:52 PM
The more I think of this the more certain I am that if wanted by an EPL club Riordan will be on his way. The money and the opportunity to play with some of the worlds best players would be too much to turn down. He will be looking at Fletcher's experience and will know that at his age another opportunity may not come along, a good year with a club that is relegated done Fletcher no harm. Petrie will be makng sure that a sell on clause is in bold print on his contract.

Spike Mandela
05-06-2010, 01:13 PM

Would like to think we are currently in the position where we don't have to accept £500k for a player who can score 17 goals from midfield and 20+ from further forward.

Like a previous poster said much better to have that in our team for one more season than the money sitting in a bank.

Jim44
05-06-2010, 02:43 PM
I'd be surprised if Riordan went for £500K or less as he won't be replaced adequately for that. Hughes must realise that after our woeful second half of last season, we have to hit the new season running. To weaken the strike force for the sake of getting a few bob for Riordan could be suicidal. I'd let him play one more season and let him move on for nowt but then I'm not Petrie.

basehibby
05-06-2010, 04:50 PM
Like I said earlier

**** off blackpool

:agree: I concur - go and swivel on yer tower ya bunch of fannies :bye:

blackpoolhibs
05-06-2010, 05:08 PM

Deek could be a hero.

Why stay at Hibs?

I dont see him getting a game for Blackpool. He'd quickly be found out in the EPL. Blackpool have a team of players who all get stuck in, and they would need more of these next season. He would also get nowhere near the free kicks and penaltys, as Charlie Adams takes every one of these. A good player is our Derek in the SPL, but he would not last 5 minutes down here imho.

JohnScott
05-06-2010, 05:26 PM
I dont see him getting a game for Blackpool. He'd quickly be found out in the EPL. Blackpool have a team of players who all get stuck in, and they would need more of these next season. He would also get nowhere near the free kicks and penaltys, as Charlie Adams takes every one of these. A good player is our Derek in the SPL, but he would not last 5 minutes down here imho.

Oh ma God! It had to happen! One of Blackpools posts I agree with :confused:

Blackpool were THE hardest working TEAM in last years Championship. Can't for a minute see Deeks fitting in atall to their style of play. Sorry but it's a fact.

zosohibee
05-06-2010, 07:13 PM
Hands off Deeks campaign?

Allant1981
05-06-2010, 07:19 PM
im guessing that the blackpool scouts have watched him so know exactly how he plays so why would their be an interest if he doesnt fit in with their style of play? and 500k is a lot of moeny for blackpool to spend so why would they want to spend this amount of money if there is no chance he will play? i love how most of the people on here who probably arent involved in anyway with a football team know more than the guys who do work in football

Alfred E Newman
05-06-2010, 08:52 PM
[/B]

I would rather we looked at the free scorin midfielder Gary Harkins, liked him even when he was at Thistle and I reckon he could be an excellent player in the SPL

I would rather we kept Riordan who has already proved himself an excellent player in the SPL.