PDA

View Full Version : 20 years ago, if it was the other way around

blairwallace
02-06-2010, 09:56 PM
if the yams were in our shoes 20 years ago or in the future, how would you feel?
if hibs were in a takeover attempt to get rid of the filth would you welcome it or question, stand up for them, or just not give a monkeys ass?
i wasnt around at the time so dont really know what it was all like at the time, and how they and other football fans were reacting to it all.
your choice and any detail about what it was like back then please.... :thumbsup:

HibbyAndy
02-06-2010, 10:05 PM
if the yams were in our shoes 20 years ago or in the future, how would you feel?
if hibs were in a takeover attempt to get rid of the filth would you welcome it or question, stand up for them, or just not give a monkeys ass?
i wasnt around at the time so dont really know what it was all like at the time, and how they and other football fans were reacting to it all.
your choice and any detail about what it was like back then please.... :thumbsup:

I feel Hearts can fek right off.

Total **** with vermin supporters and a pinky poofy stadium to boot..And George Foulkes doesnt get a red nose drinking T :agree:

Fek rewinding 20 years.. why bother? Its now and the present..Im liking this era, Cause hibs are MILES ahead of the smellies in EVERY single way possible.

Riordans Boots
02-06-2010, 10:27 PM

Ask Gus :wink:

Diclonius
02-06-2010, 11:44 PM
Having two principal clubs benefits the city of Edinburgh as a whole. It creates an element of rivalry and excitement among the citizens and makes football far more interesting than, say, Aberdeen.

I have no time for the club itself but I feel football in Edinburgh would deteriorate on the whole if either Hibs or Hearts were removed.

Plus, I ****in' love derbies.

Baader
03-06-2010, 12:17 AM
I would've opposed it just as I did when I was 13 back in the summer of 1990 which I do not recall as a particularly good time... remember going down to Easter Road from Holy Rood with school mates just to stand outside the gates a lot around then. Was always people about.

There were Jambos who did oppose it themselves back then it must be remembered. I remember seeing a few maroon tops at the ER rally that day. Fair play to those guys. On the whole Edinburgh benefits from having two football clubs and the rivalry which goes with it. If Hertz self destruct because of their own doing then so be it, I would not want Hibs involved in anything that brought about their demise.

As a club I have nothing against them. Don't want to see them doing well. It's some of their supporters I have no time for with their delusions of grandeur but pretty much indifferent to the club as an institution.

Mixu62
03-06-2010, 12:26 AM
Depends on whether they'd get off their bahookies and stund up for their club themselves, as we did 20 years ago. All the evidence so far would suggest not. If they're really that willing to be shafted time and time again, why should we care?! Surely we couldn't be expected to stand up for them when they can't be **sed doing it for themselves.

vahibbie
03-06-2010, 12:48 AM
Depends on whether they'd get off their bahookies and stund up for their club themselves, as we did 20 years ago. All the evidence so far would suggest not. If they're really that willing to be shafted time and time again, why should we care?! Surely we couldn't be expected to stand up for them when they can't be **sed doing it for themselves.
I think you'd see a big difference if it was us shafting them as opposed to their very own Mad Vlad. I could well see the Yams actually banding together to oppose a take-over by Hibs much as we did when the FTB tried it on us. Remember the then owners of Hibs where shafting us at the time all be it not quite as publicly as Romanov.
To be honest I don't think it will require a take-over from us, the Yams are well on the slippery slope and anyway what have they got that we want:confused:

HibeesLA
03-06-2010, 02:57 AM

Interesting spin to your question after reading some of the replies would be "If Hearts continue down their path of self-destruction, and the mad one leaves, what would you think if STF stepped in to rescue them?"

Would you applaud the move, would you want them folded into 1 club with Hibs retaining the stadium/name, or would you happily see them sink quicker than a baltic submarine?

bighairyfaeleith
03-06-2010, 05:31 AM
Interesting spin to your question after reading some of the replies would be "If Hearts continue down their path of self-destruction, and the mad one leaves, what would you think if STF stepped in to rescue them?"

Would you applaud the move, would you want them folded into 1 club with Hibs retaining the stadium/name, or would you happily see them sink quicker than a baltic submarine?

Wouldn't happen for two reasons.

One man can't own two clubs in the same league. STF knows better than to try and put the two together

Secondly, as rich as STF is even he couldn't take on hearts debts comfortably. In fact very few people in scotland could. More likely it would need three or four millionaires to club together.

s.a.m
03-06-2010, 06:27 AM
While I would enjoy watching them go through the self-inflicted embarassment of administration and tumble down the leagues, hostile take-over is just wrong.

jacomo
03-06-2010, 07:36 AM
While I would enjoy watching them go through the self-inflicted embarassment of administration and tumble down the leagues, hostile take-over is just wrong.

Well said. It was an aggressive and outrageous move to turn Hibs into Edinburgh's junior team, a feeder club (at best) for their rivals.

I would never support Hibs making such a move, nor would any right-thinking football fan. Mergers do happen, as with Caley and Thistle in Inverness, or Dagenham and Redbridge, but only as a merging of equals with agreement on all sides, not a hostile take over.

I'm glad some Hearts fans stood against the move... frankly, more of them should have done so.

basehibby
03-06-2010, 07:36 AM
The attitude of the Jabos 20 years back was pretty mixed IIRC - there were some gloaters who trully revelled in it and would probably have been genuinely happy if the takeover had happened. At the same time there were many - probably more - who were against it - some even to the point that they attended the Hands Off Hibs rally.

I don't imagine the attitude of Hibbies would be much different if the boot were on the other foot - some would revel in it while most would recognise the value of the derbys and would not want the club involved in such an underhand dastardly scheme in any case.

banchoryhibs
03-06-2010, 08:20 AM
20 years ago there were lots of jambos did not want Mercer to succeed; some players as well. John Robertson was on the main stage during the Usher Hall rally giving his support to HoH. For that reason he'll always have my respect even if he's a wee fat jambo. (His family are Hibbies).

Some did revel in the thought that Hibs were going down the tubes but by no means all.

If Hearts did not exist who would we compare ourselves to? Not the ugly sisters - who'd want to be associated with them? The rivalry between the clubs makes it so much sweeter when we beat them - so I'd not want to see them go under. A few years of relegation would be nice though :greengrin:greengrin

Edinburgh's better with two teams. I work in Aberdeen and the sheep have to manufacture a deep rivalry to get passionate about. They really support their team - especially away games - but they simply don't experience the passions that a derby brings.

blackpoolhibs
03-06-2010, 08:43 AM
If the boot was on the other foot 20 years ago, i'd have wanted hearts to survive. If the same thing happened now, i'd want them to die.

Speedway
03-06-2010, 08:52 AM
I feel Hearts can fek right off.

Total **** with vermin supporters and a pinky poofy stadium to boot..And George Foulkes doesnt get a red nose drinking T :agree:

Fek rewinding 20 years.. why bother? Its now and the present..Im liking this era, Cause hibs are MILES ahead of the smellies in EVERY single way possible.

Except attendances, derby wins and average league placings still, sadly.

stu in nottingham
03-06-2010, 09:04 AM
Although a totally hypothetical situation, I wouldn't like to see Hibernian in a proposed take over of Hearts. I just wouldn't enjoy seeing Hibs sink to the level of behaviour which Mercer did at that time and hope and believe we would be 'better' than that.

Apart from that, I would touch anything to do with Hearts with a barge pole. Let them do what they do, our club is moving steadily and inexorably forwards and there will only be good outcomes for Easter Road and the club's followers in the future.

--------
03-06-2010, 09:18 AM
Although a totally hypothetical situation, I wouldn't like to see Hibernian in a proposed take over of Hearts. I just wouldn't enjoy seeing Hibs sink to the level of behaviour which Mercer did at that time and hope and believe we would be 'better' than that.

Apart from that, I would touch anything to do with Hearts with a barge pole. Let them do what they do, our club is moving steadily and inexorably forwards and there will only be good outcomes for Easter Road and the club's followers in the future.

:agree: I'd hate to think that STF and our present board operated at the level of Mercer, Rowland, Duff and Gray. Right now we're seeing a big promise fulfilled - the stadium finally complete. There's every reason for optimism at ER. That's what's important, not what the Jambos are doing.

heretoday
03-06-2010, 09:24 AM
The attitude of the Jabos 20 years back was pretty mixed IIRC - there were some gloaters who trully revelled in it and would probably have been genuinely happy if the takeover had happened. At the same time there were many - probably more - who were against it - some even to the point that they attended the Hands Off Hibs rally.

I don't imagine the attitude of Hibbies would be much different if the boot were on the other foot - some would revel in it while most would recognise the value of the derbys and would not want the club involved in such an underhand dastardly scheme in any case.

I remember working beside a Jambo who was positively gleeful at the events of the time. He hated Hibs so much he didn't go to ER derbies because he'd be giving money to Hibs! It made for a strange working relationship!

Thankfully there were plenty who had a more intelligent view. Personally, I'd be sorry to see such a thing happen.

madabouthibs
03-06-2010, 10:24 PM
I'd be worried about us trying what Mercer tried.
I reckon he did us a favour to be honest, even though his intentions where to do anything but!
I would have hated STF to have been involved with Hearts at any point. The guy quite obviously has a talent for turning things around and finding the right people to help him do so.

The Sir Tom Farmer stand. :agree:

Big Frank
03-06-2010, 11:04 PM
Except attendances, derby wins and average league placings still, sadly.

I see what your saying here, however, attendances (real or imagined ; "yes we used to tell porkies like the old firm with regard to attendances, but we dinnae now, honest guv"), mean the square root of **** all.

Average league placings mean **** all. It wins you nowt. Nonsense made up by Yams and dons that 3rd place is success. (i mean proper success).

Yip, derby wins. No arguement there.

Hainan Hibs
03-06-2010, 11:37 PM
It's not a Hibs Class thing to do. However the thought of Hearts going out of business is the stuff dreams are made of. The club is a sad excuse for the club it used to be and the fans have all turned into complete trumpets since the arrival of Romanov.

Diclonius
03-06-2010, 11:44 PM
Hibs class: Leaving your rivals well alone despite the intense dislike you have for them, knowing that it isn't just ********s that support that club - they have fans among your friends and family.
Hearts class: Hating your rivals so much that you wish to destroy their entire club at the expense of jobs, money and thousands of peoples identity and culture in the twisted delusion that they're "sub-human, so they don't matter".

:agree:

NaeTechnoHibby
04-06-2010, 12:55 AM
Wouldn't happen for two reasons.

One man can't own two clubs in the same league. STF knows better than to try and put the two together

Agree :agree:

Secondly, as rich as STF is even he couldn't take on hearts debts comfortably. In fact very few people in scotland could. More likely it would need three or four millionaires to club together.

Oh! yes he could IMO :agree:

However the interesting bit in that quote, is that we were able to get a multi-millionaire oan our side :thumbsup:

Mercer :jamboak: and Robinson and TBH Romanov are no match for oor Sir Tom Farmer :thumbsup:

Submariners with Banks which earn less than a Tyre/Exhausts/General motor bits (2nd time around) :rolleyes:

They are a bunch of dafties and they can do what they do, they'll get nae assistance from me in any way, shape or form :thumbsup:

zero-seven
04-06-2010, 01:32 AM
i was there..in shock and couldnae sit around and watch MY club disappear..would not wish it on any one even the ****bos, not a good time...still think Mercer did it as a PR stunt..he could not lose..buy a club for nowt and/or get great PR for him and the yams

seanraff07
04-06-2010, 02:28 AM
As much as i despise the dirty cheatin filthy *****, if they weren't here then their would be no derby meaning no real big match. We wouldn't have anyone to laugh at anymore.

I hate them but i love them being here, a shower of muppets that make your life worth living when things are down then they will come out and do something ridiculous that will normally brighten up your day.

It's usually this time of season when they entertain me most when not an awful lot is going on at Hibs, a few rumours here and there. Whereas Hearts are going to sign all these great players and do this and that next season. Then their annual loss is announced which is always worth having a chuckle at.

So i wouldn't like them to become non-existent if it was to happen, it's sheer class how they as a club are ran in the most ridiculous fashion and i don't want to lose that certain something linked to them to laugh at every day.

So they can do as **** as they like which i'm sure they will, just as long as those deluded Yams don't **** off for good.:greengrin

JohnScott
04-06-2010, 09:50 AM
Like others I remember seeing Hearts fans in their colours at the rally that day. I'd like to think I'd do the same for them if they were in the same position. Oh and before any of my age group get too mouthy about it I also remember ONLY 8500 turned up. Where were the true Hibby's that day. We travelled up from Peebles but WHERE were the Embra punters that day when the club needed them?

In over a thousand games including trips to Parkhead and Ibrox I was only involved in one violent incident (other than dodging bottles and bricks!) and that was when Hearts fans laid into us in St Andrews Square bus station. They didn't like us scoring
to equalise near the death at Tynecastle that day. So I've no love or soft spot for the boys in maroon.

But I do have to acknowledge the loss of the Derby would be a major loss. Especially given the prospect of a jumping 20000 crowd at ER next season. Bring it on!!

Good initial post though. :thumbsup:

Andy74
04-06-2010, 10:23 AM
If the boot was on the other foot 20 years ago, i'd have wanted hearts to survive. If the same thing happened now, i'd want them to die.

That sums it up for me. Previously I would have cared. Now, well, they have resisted any attempt to live within their means and live in this world where this overspnding makes them 'big'. So to hell with them now, the sooner the better.

Phil D. Rolls
04-06-2010, 11:02 AM
20 years ago I would have stood by them and campaigned to save their club. Unfortunately things have taken a really nasty turn since then. Their attitude to us these days has done them no favours, so there on their own as far as I'm concerned.

Besides, I'm sure they would rather die than be propped up by supporters with no class and ambition. Let's face it, we're a wee team, we are wee people, and I don't think I could come off the Methadone long enough to be any use to them at all.

They'll be OK.

Franck is God
04-06-2010, 12:52 PM
At the time I was going through a phase where I worked Saturday afternoons and unlike now that meant I missed the majority of home games but I remember the feeling in the city from both sets of fans when the 'merger' was proposed.

I think both clubs were simply too big and had too much history to combine in any way. If it had gone ahead Hearts wouldn't have existed a year later either as the new Edinburgh United would have been playing in a brand new stadium at Hermiston.

If it had been the other way around I think it would have resulted the exact same way.

What his poorly judged venture did do was put an end to any thoughts that the two teams could share a stadium, tranining facilities and sponsporship. I love ER and can't wait for the stadium to be complete but after the Hillsborough disaster and the Taylor report a better working relationship with our neighbours could have saved us a fortune.

It has worked out ok for us in the end but we can probably only say now after 20 years have gone by that we are a completely stable football club again.