PDA

View Full Version : Question Mercer quote

1two
02-06-2010, 11:56 AM
I've been Reading the take over stories on evening news website and a lot ofthe hands of hibs things I can find on the net but haven't read any quotes from mercer himself?!?

I'm sure I've read in the past, a quote from him something like "there will be one club in Edinburgh and they will be called heart of Midlothian".

Is is this true or is it something I've imagined?

If so can anyone find me a link? Also any other links to the story would be appreciated!

--------
02-06-2010, 12:09 PM
I've been Reading the take over stories on evening news website and a lot ofthe hands of hibs things I can find on the net but haven't read any quotes from mercer himself?!?

I'm sure I've read in the past, a quote from him something like "there will be one club in Edinburgh and they will be called heart of Midlothian".

If so can anyone find me a link? Also any other links to the story would be appreciated!

Don't think he was ever as blatant as that in public.

According to Wally Smirker, it was a 'merger' he was after.... :rolleyes:

Green_one
02-06-2010, 12:15 PM
Did he not talk about Hearts of EDINBURGH at one point? His only concession.

I hate even discussing him :grr:

Pretty Boy
02-06-2010, 12:19 PM
I think that as the deal began to look less likely Mercer became more vocal about his true motives.

The scary thing is that had it not been for Mercers ego and his desire to publicise himself the deal could have been done very quietly and not been known about until it was very close to being too late.

Thankfully Mercer was an egotistical muppet.

hfc rd
02-06-2010, 12:20 PM
Everytime I see a picture of Wallace Mercer, I just spit on it. F***ing delighted that those yam fuds are in so much debt and could go out of business if Romanov decides to leave as who would ever want to take over a club like that.

bawheid
02-06-2010, 12:23 PM
Everytime I see a picture of Wallace Mercer, I just spit on it. F***ing delighted that those yam fuds are in so much debt and could go out of business if Romanov decides to leave as who would ever want to take over a club like that.

Sir Tom Farmer... :hmmm:

Big Frank
02-06-2010, 12:25 PM
This clown raped his own club. Took shed loads of cash out of them :agree: Made a mint.
I remember when he was replaced all my Hertz mates were delighted.... maroon tinted specs and 20years and they have him as hero status.

I will always have nothing but contempt for the FTB and so glad my club outlived him and not the other way about.

God Bless Hibernian FC.

--------
02-06-2010, 12:25 PM
I think that as the deal began to look less likely Mercer became more vocal about his true motives.

The scary thing is that had it not been for Mercers ego and his desire to publicise himself the deal could have been done very quietly and not been known about until it was very close to being too late.

Thankfully Mercer was an egotistical muppet.

Yup. He announced the deal before it was fully finalised.

But it WAS a very close-run thing, and very nearly a done deal.

It's ironic that most of Hearts' present troubles have their roots in Mercer's hubris and financial irresponsibility. He sowed the seed. The Yams are now reaping the harvest.

Baader
02-06-2010, 12:27 PM
Mercer was a self-publicist and not much more. History remembers him as a failure - he achieved nothing with Hearts other than to put his smug Tory face out there and was beaten in his attempt to end Hibernian. He was probably too aloof and stupid to understand how people could actually care so much about something other than money.

:notworthy:

poolman
02-06-2010, 12:30 PM
This clown raped his own club. Took shed loads of cash out of them :agree: Made a mint.
I remember when he was replaced all my Hertz mates were delighted.... maroon tinted specs and 20years and they have him as hero status.

I will always have nothing but contempt for the FTB and so glad my club outlived him and not the other way about.

God Bless Hibernian FC.

Absolutely :agree:

Hope the gits roasting in hell

A snippet from the piece in yesterdays EEN

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/Mercer-merger-20-years-on.6331902.jp

Dinner at the nearby Hilton Hotel followed with Mercer, said to be in an exuberant and loquacious mood, picked up the £341 bill, the wine having flowed freely, – and the following morning Scotland awoke to the shattering news.

Absolute horrible excuse of a man who knew **** all about what football means to its supporters

Speedway
02-06-2010, 12:42 PM
Surprised no-one ever wrote a book about the whole ordeal. A bit of investigative journalism would make it even more fascinating, maybe including what happened to the major players in the years that followed.

Still remember Trevor McDonut reading the news about the bid on News at Ten.

--------
02-06-2010, 12:48 PM
Surprised no-one ever wrote a book about the whole ordeal. A bit of investigative journalism would make it even more fascinating, maybe including what happened to the major players in the years that followed.

Still remember Trevor McDonut reading the news about the bid on News at Ten.

Legal issues, I'd say.

There were so many dodgy aspects of the deal. And so many of the protagonists still alive....

Speedway
02-06-2010, 12:59 PM
Legal issues, I'd say.

There were so many dodgy aspects of the deal. And so many of the protagonists still alive....

Speaking of which.

Just in case anyone harboured good will to Duff for not selling, consider this:

http://www.corruptlawyers.co.uk/farideh_Beveridge.aspx

Baader
02-06-2010, 01:27 PM
Wonder what happened to that other crook David Rowland. I hope the piece of ***t went to jail.

Thank God we got rid of that whole lot. Other clubs are going through it now or will have it still to come, thanfully our episode is behind us.

we are hibs
02-06-2010, 01:31 PM
QUOTE=hfc rd;2483680]Everytime I see a picture of Wallace Mercer, I just spit on it. F***ing delighted that those yam fuds are in so much debt and could go out of business if Romanov decides to leave as who would ever want to take over a club like that.[/QUOTE]

:agree::top marks

Pretty Boy
02-06-2010, 01:35 PM
Legal issues, I'd say.

:agree: John Mackay touched on the issue in his book 'The Easter Road Story'. He pretty much admitted that in both that book and the earlier 'The Hibees' he couldn't really tell the whole story and certainly couldn't make his feelings as clear as he may have liked.

I'm sure that with the passage of time, the main character dead and the rest not getting any younger we may sometime soon see far more details emerge regarding the whole sorry affair.

Speedway
02-06-2010, 01:47 PM
Wonder what happened to that other crook David Rowland. I hope the piece of ***t went to jail.

Thank God we got rid of that whole lot. Other clubs are going through it now or will have it still to come, thanfully our episode is behind us.

Far from it. Rowland is now worth around £700m and lives in Guernsey.

His son Jonathan now runs the family business (Rowland Capital Limited) and they're aiming to manage £1bn of funds this year. Dad takes a back seat and counts his loot.

jdships
02-06-2010, 02:27 PM
Yup. He announced the deal before it was fully finalised.

But it WAS a very close-run thing, and very nearly a done deal.

I take comfort from the fact that most of Hearts' present troubles have their roots in Mercer's hubris and financial irresponsibility. He sowed the seed. The Yams are now reaping the harvest.

Rot the lot of them.

Fact is it was badly kept secret some six weeks before the story broke.
I was witness to that being told "on pain of death" not to speak out
Main reasons for the deals failure to go through were Duff and Gray looking for a better return , on their shares, than Mercer was willing to offer plus a bigger involvement in the new set up. This allied to the valuation set by independent assessors on ER stadium

As to the OP's question ""there will be one club in Edinburgh and they will be called heart of Midlothian".
All I heard , more than once , was " ....the stadium and surrounding land will be sold and in essence HFC as it stands will cease to exist ....."
Take what you like from that

I am personally sad to see the EN/David Hardie dig this up yet again .
Mercer is dead (RIP) and HFC are still here in a healthy state - end of !!!

:flag:

Peevemor
02-06-2010, 02:38 PM

I disagree. It's a huge part of our history and shouldn't be forgotten. Younger fans need to know what can happen when a club like ours, where the real estate is usually worth more than the team, is badly managed financially and therefore vulnerable.

Craig_in_Prague
02-06-2010, 02:45 PM
I disagree. It's a huge part of our history and shouldn't be forgotten. Younger fans need to know what can happen when a club like ours, where the real estate is usually worth more than the team, is badly managed financially and therefore vulnerable.

:top marks

I remember listening on the radio as a 10 yr old like it was just last week.

How any Hibs fan can just forget, I'll never know.

Good to see this story come up sometimes, especially as now that I'm older I'm interested in more details.

If nothing else, it should make us appreciate our Hibees even more & enjoy what we have now and to look forward to in the future.

blackpoolhibs
02-06-2010, 02:48 PM
Fact is it was badly kept secret some six weeks before the story broke.
I was witness to that being told "on pain of death" not to speak out
Main reasons for the deals failure to go through were Duff and Gray looking for a better return , on their shares, than Mercer was willing to offer plus a bigger involvement in the new set up. This allied to the valuation set by independent assessors on ER stadium

As to the OP's question ""there will be one club in Edinburgh and they will be called heart of Midlothian".
All I heard , more than once , was " ....the stadium and surrounding land will be sold and in essence HFC as it stands will cease to exist ....."
Take what you like from that

RIP my arse, i hope he's rotting in hell, were he belongs. The biggest piece of **** ever to associate himself to hearts, and i include the idiot in charge there now.

Pretty Boy
02-06-2010, 02:53 PM

Agree wholeheartedly.

It's a huge part of our history and in many ways a very proud part of it. Of course the few years leading up to the incident and the bid and negotiations themselves where very unsavoury and pretty embarassing. However the whole sorry affair reignited the passion in a lot of fans who had fallen by the wayside and it was a great victory for the fans over a businessman with hostile intentions. The cup win very soon after was the cherry on top.

In the years following we have gone from strength to strength. Sir Tom Farmer has allowed the correct people to run the club in a professional manner, we are still at, a near completed, Easter Road, we have played European football several times, have played in numerous cup finals and semi finals, have won the league cup twice, have our own wonderful training facilities and have produced some brilliantly talented young players.

The Mercer affair shouldn't be what we define ourselves by and it shouldn't be at the forefront of our minds every minute of every day. However coming up for the 20th anniversary i think it is only right that the EEN and Hibs supporters make the effort to mark the event. A period of our history that should never, ever be forgotten and something which should be used to remind some of our more impatient and naive supporters what can happen when a club tries to live outwith it's means.

poolman
02-06-2010, 03:28 PM
RIP my arse, i hope he's rotting in hell, were he belongs. The biggest piece of **** ever to associate himself to hearts, and i include the idiot in charge there now.

:top marks:agree:

seanraff07
02-06-2010, 03:30 PM
I'm glad that they are marking it cause i wasn't alive at the time it all happened and would like to know more information about it. I also think it is the correct thing to mark it as it makes you appreciate the fact that we are still in existence and as a club are ran in the correct manner unlike our neighbours who are in downfall and at this moment in time not looking at much of a future to look forward to.

GIRFUY Mercer.:greengrin

weecounty hibby
02-06-2010, 03:42 PM
I remember it very well. During the saga I was at Italia 90 with a group of guys from Alloa including a couple of JTs and a certain Spike Mandela. I got footie fans from all over the world to sign the petition and there were Hands Off Hibs stickers left all over Europe. The only person who wouldn't sign was a Hun. I can remember crying like a wee lassie when it was announced on the news that the FTB had failed in his bid to kill us off.

He never openly said that there would only be one club and it would be called Hearts but it was very obvious to all Hibees that would be the case. Even now I talk to fans of other clubs and they talk about a merger and think it would have been some kind of Edinburgh United.

jdships
02-06-2010, 03:45 PM

Not quire sure what his association " with hearts " has to do with this thread
I met the man on numerous occasions and he was an egotistical bully , and bad mannered with it .
However he was a human being with family and , although I have no religous beliefs , I cannot bring myself to agree with your remarks .
Hr never physically harmed you did he ?
"Man's inhumanity to man" comes to mind

:rolleyes:

blackpoolhibs
02-06-2010, 04:14 PM
I met the man on numerous occasions and he was an egotistical bully , and bad mannered with it .
However he was a human being with family and , although I have no religous beliefs , I cannot bring myself to agree with your remarks .

He wanted to kill the thing thats closest to me, apart from my family. I too have no real religious beliefs, but if had got what he wanted, i think i'd have been pretty near the front of a very large queue, with a baseball bat. I would have had no problem beating that man to a pulp. If that makes me inhumane, then so be it. I hate him with a passion, even though i never met him, i still hate him now.

.Sean.
02-06-2010, 04:19 PM
Fat *******. Here's hoping the Jambo fud is rotting away in hell. Well, he's rotting away at least.

WindyMiller
02-06-2010, 04:21 PM

As you say, a thoroughly obnoxious man.
Detested by many Jambos who met or had dealings with him. Eulogised by many now no doubt.

Dunbar Hibee
02-06-2010, 04:28 PM

Couldn't agree more !

Phil D. Rolls
02-06-2010, 04:34 PM
I would find it hard to have anything nice to say about someone who had a registration plate XX1 (Double cross, gedditt???!!??). I thinkthe funnies thing about Mercer was that he had no idea what he was getting into - and having to spend the rest of his life with his head down as he walked along George Street must have been absolute hell for such an egomaniac.

HibbyAndy
02-06-2010, 04:37 PM
The Hibees are still here and the Hearts are a ***** joke club thats got so many idiots in charge its unreal.

Mercer was a *****tane, now he's dead ill never/wont change my opinion, That man tried to take the Hibees away from all of us, We are still standing you Hearts c unt. whilst your team are in a real mess,

Glory Glory.

Hibs On Tour
02-06-2010, 04:40 PM

I think its one of those instances where by someone's own actions they do away with whatever chance they had of being regarded as 'just a man' or to be due any sympathy. As others have posted, what this guy was trying to do wasn't 'just business', it was trying to destroy something that thousands held very dear to them. Harm isn't just physical, as we all know.

I'm a Hibby. I hate that lot across the road. I wouldn't however ever want them to fold, because who would I have to hate then? That's rivalry for you. Can't live with em, can't live without em. This trumpet went WAY beyond that.

For those reasons, **** him. Hope he's rotting and burning and feeling every ounce of pain he possibly could be.

GGTTH

HibeeMcGinn1
02-06-2010, 05:09 PM
My dad was telling me that as soon as he found out he went straight to Easter Road without thinking of any consequences regarding his job. Im sure alot of hibbys on here would have done the exact same, I knew I would have. I was only 1 at the time but now at 20, when I read all the stories, quote and articles I fill up with rage. That man tried to ruin this great club and I will never ever forgive him for that. Think about this... the 2007 cup win, great away trips, amazing performances, moments of genious from amazing players (latapy, sauzee, zouma, deek) and your own personal moments throughout the years would never have happened if that vile man got his way. Wallace Mercer I hope you rot in hell.

.Sean.
02-06-2010, 05:24 PM
My dad was telling me that as soon as he found out he went straight to Easter Road without thinking of any consequences regarding his job. Im sure alot of hibbys on here would have done the exact same, I knew I would have. I was only 1 at the time but now at 20, when I read all the stories, quote and articles I fill up with rage. That man tried to ruin this great club and I will never ever forgive him for that. Think about this... the 2007 cup win, great away trips, amazing performances, moments of genious from amazing players (latapy, sauzee, zouma, deek) and your own personal moments throughout the years would never have happened if that vile man got his way. Wallace Mercer I hope you rot in hell.
I've told you about when i refused to work at his old house eh?

Cut a long story short, my company has/had done a fair bit of work for Fatty and his wife in North Berwick. A couple years back, I was told i'd be working in her house the following day so I 'really shouldn't turn up for work in an old Hibs top'.

Picked up next again morning by my tradesman, had a Hibs top on. I said I wouldn't work for a Mercer, so I was placed with a different tradesman for the day. I may have been a baby at the time of his failed bid to dismantle our great club, but pride stopped me even stepping foot in that house. I'd actually have rather taken the day off and not been paid than to have worked there.

jdships
02-06-2010, 05:36 PM
He wanted to kill the thing thats closest to me, apart from my family. I too have no real religious beliefs, but if had got what he wanted, i think i'd have been pretty near the front of a very large queue, with a baseball bat. I would have had no problem beating that man to a pulp. If that makes me inhumane, then so be it. I hate him with a passion, even though i never met him, i still hate him now.

Yes , as you rightly say "so be it " :cool2:

HibbyLynz
02-06-2010, 05:57 PM

:top marks

weecounty hibby
02-06-2010, 05:59 PM
I lived through it, had sleepless nights about it, attended the HOH do at the Usher Hall etc etc. But it was twenty years ago and you know what I just don't care about him anymore. Yes it is a huge part in our history but it's not healthy to hate for so long, he's gone were still here. The egostistical nature of the man probably means that wherever he is he will be chuffed to bits that some still hate him.

KeithTheHibby
02-06-2010, 06:35 PM

Mercer was a ****, an arrogant **** at that.

If the FTB had managed to take over Hibs someone would have put him in the ground far earlier than he ended up....

essexhibee
02-06-2010, 07:52 PM
Im glad to say luckily I wasnt around for the dire straits the club had got itself into, still wasnt born , :wink: but I have read the articles, informed angrily by my dad who told me all what went on. Indeed the guy was a dick, but remember, at the end of the day he was just a businessman. I dont think it is at all fair to say comments such as "Let him rot in hell" and "i'm glad he's dead". He was a father, a son, a dad whatever, and him dying isnt something I think we should wish on him or anyone. Come on guys, most of you posters will be older than me but I think its time to step back a bit and grow up. Remember the past and how brilliant the club's fans pulled itself together in its darkest hour, but look to the future, and don't wish upon someones death, he wasn't Bin Laden!! A **** of the highest order however yess... :wink:

--------
02-06-2010, 08:05 PM
Im glad to say luckily I wasnt around for the dire straits the club had got itself into, still wasnt born , :wink: but I have read the articles, informed angrily by my dad who told me all what went on. Indeed the guy was a dick, but remember, at the end of the day he was just a businessman. I dont think it is at all fair to say comments such as "Let him rot in hell" and "i'm glad he's dead". He was a father, a son, a dad whatever, and him dying isnt something I think we should wish on him or anyone. Come on guys, most of you posters will be older than me but I think its time to step back a bit and grow up. Remember the past and how brilliant the club's fans pulled itself together in its darkest hour, but look to the future, and don't wish upon someones death, he wasn't Bin Laden!! A **** of the highest order however yess... :wink:

I'm sure you're right. He failed. It's history. :agree:

4WAW
02-06-2010, 09:59 PM
Reading this thread takes me back quite a few years. I detest Wallet Mercenary for what he tried to do our club and the arrogance that has been a demonstrable part of the ****s psyche since that time (my personal opinion, others may think it dates back to earlier times).

The only memory that I have of being in close proximity to the FTB dates back to before the takeover attempt.

I was in the George Hotel, late 80's. Typical business meeting, early evening, about 7 o'clock. There were three of us, we'd had a few beers during the afternoon and one guy wanted to get changed before heading out for a meal.

So, sitting in the lounge bar, two of us were having a couple of beers whilst waiting for the third person to join us. Being slightly short sighted (and fairly p!ssed) my colleague was flicking his fag-ash into the dry roasted peanuts dish in front of us, totally oblivious to the needs of other customers. Next thing, FTB and his entourage arrived and occupied the chairs opposite. FTB demolished the bowl of nuts, complete and whole. When he first picked up the bowl, I did say, "wait" but his response was that these were for him and I could "go and get some more" (euphemism). Marlborough flavour dry roasted peanuts, I hope that they didn't do him any lasting harm.

jdships
02-06-2010, 10:06 PM
I lived through it, had sleepless nights about it, attended the HOH do at the Usher Hall etc etc. But it was twenty years ago and you know what I just don't care about him anymore. Yes it is a huge part in our history but it's not healthy to hate for so long, he's gone were still here. The egostistical nature of the man probably means that wherever he is he will be chuffed to bits that some still hate him.

:agree::top marks

SaudiHibby
03-06-2010, 05:17 AM
As has been said many times the truth will out, hopefully before I leave this mortal coil. While Mercer was the patsy the real protagonist in the whole sorry affair was Rowland who was actively selling his 30% and trying to get the best return. He found a thick twat in Mercer who got carried away with Rowlands sales pitch only to find himself the most hated man in Edinburgh. I joined in with HOH and feel proud that we Leithers and Lochenders managed to stop Rowlands wee plan. To blame Mercer is folly. Rowlands was the prick who tried to kill our great club and I will always sing that particular hymn from the rooftops.

Speedway
03-06-2010, 08:07 AM
The thing that always sticks in my mind is an interview with Lexo Miller. Now Lexo was not Mr. Popularity at the time nor at many times during his decade in charge but I remember the pre-season after the summer of the takeover attempt.

The Yams had a decent season and we'd been the lowest scoring side in Britain I think. Lexo gave an interview to the now defunct Scottish Football Weekly Newspaper (in full colour dontchaknow) and his quote was along the lines of 'We're hurting right now that's for sure and Hearts are doing well. It's their day, let them have it. Who is to say it won't be our day tomorrow?'

Four months later, We lifted the league cup at Hampden.

That's the gemme. Yas!

bawheid
03-06-2010, 12:14 PM
Some quotes from Mercer in today's EEN installment, talking about the Hibs fans' reaction to his takeover bid:

I am astonished, I am flabbergasted at what has happened. This is tribalism and this is what we are trying to get away from.

I care desperately about football and I care desperately about Heart of Midlothian FC but I care even more desperately about my family. It is unbelievable what has happened. We are trying to carry something through that is about a vision for the future but I am not prepared to sacrifice relationships with my family and with business associates and their reputations to satisfy some who follow a certain football club. Seeing a police guard with dogs on my home and bricks through the window of my office, I have to ask myself 'is this Scotland, is this Edinburgh'? No, this is tribalism. Why has there been such a vitriolic reaction? Is this envy? I do not know.

I have woken up early asking do you have the courage to do this? But the one thing about having courage is that you always have the courage to fail.

And fail you did.

1two
03-06-2010, 12:27 PM
Seeing a police guard with dogs on my home and bricks through the window of my office, I have to ask myself 'is this Scotland, is this Edinburgh'?

I truly hope the police caught whoever the mindless immature idiot was who panned his window in!:wink:

blackpoolhibs
03-06-2010, 12:34 PM
I truly hope the police caught whoever the mindless immature idiot was who panned his window in!:wink:

Me too, i hope they left no stone unturned.:wink:

andudare2
03-06-2010, 03:26 PM
I disagree. It's a huge part of our history and shouldn't be forgotten. Younger fans need to know what can happen when a club like ours, where the real estate is usually worth more than the team, is badly managed financially and therefore vulnerable. spot on mate, why should it ever be forgotten? fingers x all new generations of hibs fans have this taught to them. ftftb :wink:

Phil D. Rolls
03-06-2010, 04:21 PM
I've got a hazy memory of Mercer in Dundee around May 1986. IIRC he made a pathetic attempt to rally his men after what (I can only imagine) had been some sort of disastrous result. He was waving a scarf over his head, and tbh, looked a bit out of puff doing it.

Perhaps someone has a picture?

Sorry I can't be more specific, if I was pushed I'd say they had been playing Dundee FC. (It might have been something to do with clinching a UEFA cup spot.)

pacorosssco
03-06-2010, 04:49 PM
We should celebrate more the fact we seen this off. This is Hibernians fans greatest moment of living times and the fact is proved that we still have a club.

I was young too but I fully remember the posters in the windows the swell of emotion, Usher Hall and Hands of Hibs. Looking back it is even more poigent.

Joe Baker kissing the grass for me the most iconic of all Hibernian memories I have ever seen

To all those involved in Hands of Hibs I salute you

Hibernian go bragh

bighairyfaeleith
03-06-2010, 04:55 PM
I've got a hazy memory of Mercer in Dundee around May 1986. IIRC he made a pathetic attempt to rally his men after what (I can only imagine) had been some sort of disastrous result. He was waving a scarf over his head, and tbh, looked a bit out of puff doing it.

Perhaps someone has a picture?

Sorry I can't be more specific, if I was pushed I'd say they had been playing Dundee FC. (It might have been something to do with clinching a UEFA cup spot.)

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

No I don't recall. I certainly don't think it was anything to do with blowing the title on the last day of the season

bighairyfaeleith
03-06-2010, 05:01 PM
No mention of the sunshine on leith campaign in wen today. Would have really helped sales if me ntioned

blackpoolhibs
03-06-2010, 05:18 PM
Sent from my mind, using the medium of mime.

bighairyfaeleith
03-06-2010, 05:23 PM
Sent from my mind, using the medium of mime.

Get urself a trendy phone then u too can post **** from the ****ter

blackpoolhibs
03-06-2010, 05:24 PM
Get urself a trendy phone then u too can post **** from the ****ter

I have one of those trendy phones, no idea how to use it though, and the battery's a bit heavy.:wink:

Hal Jordan
03-06-2010, 06:15 PM
I've told you about when i refused to work at his old house eh?
pride stopped me even stepping foot in that house.

If that had been me, I'd have gone in, sh@t on his sofa and wiped my @rse with his curtains. Being 17 at the time, I wouldn't have bothered about losing my job to get one over on the fat tory *******.

Bostonhibby
03-06-2010, 06:24 PM
As has been said many times the truth will out, hopefully before I leave this mortal coil. While Mercer was the patsy the real protagonist in the whole sorry affair was Rowland who was actively selling his 30% and trying to get the best return. He found a thick twat in Mercer who got carried away with Rowlands sales pitch only to find himself the most hated man in Edinburgh. I joined in with HOH and feel proud that we Leithers and Lochenders managed to stop Rowlands wee plan. To blame Mercer is folly. Rowlands was the prick who tried to kill our great club and I will always sing that particular hymn from the rooftops.

Pretty good summation too, but Mercer was happy to bask in the "glory" however it came his way, theres nae doubt Mercer was only the Basil Brush, to Rowlands Mr Derek but he would have been delighted to play his part in closing us down and make a few quid personally in the process.

Phil D. Rolls
03-06-2010, 06:25 PM

No I don't recall. I certainly don't think it was anything to do with blowing the title on the last day of the season

No, you're getting confused with 1965, when they blew the title on the last day on goal average. They got the rules changed so that would never happen again.

Forward thinkers the Yams.

The Harp
03-06-2010, 06:47 PM

I'm sure I've read in the past, a quote from him something like "there will be one club in Edinburgh and they will be called heart of Midlothian.

Apart from the blatant asset stripping of our Club, the kind of merger that fat Tory git had in mind was taking the 'Heart of Midlothian' from Heart of Midlothian FC and the 'FC' from Hibernian FC. Simple as ...

weonlywon6-2
03-06-2010, 07:46 PM

yep,i agree with you. never forget the day i heard. went to most of the rallies,meant a lot.

as for mercer, ignorrant erse of a human being.never liked him.

jdships
03-06-2010, 07:52 PM
Pretty good summation too, but Mercer was happy to bask in the "glory" however it came his way, theres nae doubt Mercer was only the Basil Brush, to Rowlands Mr Derek but he would have been delighted to play his part in closing us down and make a few quid personally in the process.

Mercer was the perpetrator of this not Rowland - I know what I saw and heard believe me !!

:bitchy::greengrin

Bostonhibby
03-06-2010, 08:32 PM
Mercer was the perpetrator of this not Rowland - I know what I saw and heard believe me !!

:bitchy::greengrin

Was a shareholder at the time and received his "prospectus" I am not ever going to play down his part or his motives but Rowland was a different kind of operator, well versed in share support scams and the like to inflate his return on his holding, thats all Hibs was to him and the more Whalearse borrowed to do the deal the more money Rowland got for his cheaply acquired shareholding, once he'd taken the money and run theres nae doubt Mercer would have ripped us apart, how else would he have got the money back to service the debt he was taking on? - A well known Scottish bank was helping him out as well.
We probably saw and heard the same things JD. One of the worst and proudest spells in my time as a Hibby.

Phil D. Rolls
03-06-2010, 08:38 PM
Was a shareholder at the time and received his "prospectus" I am not ever going to play down his part or his motives but Rowland was a different kind of operator, well versed in share support scams and the like to inflate his return on his holding, thats all Hibs was to him and the more Whalearse borrowed to do the deal the more money Rowland got for his cheaply acquired shareholding, once he'd taken the money and run theres nae doubt Mercer would have ripped us apart, how else would he have got the money back to service the debt he was taking on? - A well known Scottish bank was helping him out as well.
We probably saw and heard the same things JD. One of the worst and proudest spells in my time as a Hibby.

Were the Life Association of Scotland still involved in propping him up at this time?

Bostonhibby
03-06-2010, 08:47 PM
Were the Life Association of Scotland still involved in propping him up at this time?

Honestly couldnae say on that one but they sound like part of the "establishment" of the day and the Yammish regarded themselves as that sort of institution so it wouldnae surprise me. If theres a buck to be made and all that............ There might be somebody better informed than I was at the time who can answer it but the bid was fronted in Hearts / Mercers name but there were plenty of rumours flying about re which bank to boycott, write to and maybe even attack in some way :wink: and as time went by the feeling was that maybe these types of bodies weren't as suppportive of the bid as they were before the HOH protests gathered momentum - the reverse of whats happening over at Mercers old stamping ground, What goes round comes round...........

blairwallace
03-06-2010, 08:49 PM
he had 53% of hibs shares needing 65% i think to take us over and merge us with the others, close call

jdships
03-06-2010, 08:54 PM

You are "right on the money " with all you write ! :thumbsup:
The highlighted part is correct methinks ! I , with my son, was also a shareholder at that time
I can remember where I was , the time ( 01.30a.m.) and the inebriated state of the person who rambled on to me about ".... hey you'll never guess - Wallace is going to take over your team , how about that then !" - This was many weeks before the story broke .
For those weeks it was like a bad dream knowing what was
happening in front of me but forbidden to talk about it :rolleyes:

I was witness to only part of the early "skirmishes" , held away from Edinburgh, and am certain we will never ever know the full and true story .
At times it was a case of "fact being stranger than fiction"

In many ways while it is correct to remember the "Hands off Hibs" campaign I am not comfortable that all the dirt gets dug up over and over again on a regular basis
I accept that is only my opinion :greengrin

Luna_Asylum
03-06-2010, 09:20 PM
As ten thousand voices sang 'Hello, Hello, we are the Gorgie Boys', the club chairman, Wallace Mercer, took his seat in the directors box, giving the stage smirk of the man resigned to the fact that he'd never be loved as much as he felt was his due. But something had evaporated inside Mercer. Almost before anyone else in the stadium, he believed that his team would not triumph. There had been a dressing-room virus precipitating the absence of Craig Levein, a key defender. Mercer had detected a lethargy about many of the players. When he looked into their eyes before they went to change, they did not seem to him like men willing to take the prize. They looked as if they felt their work was done and now craved for a long rest, resenting the further imposition.

Jim44
03-06-2010, 09:45 PM
Just as the Jews will never allow the haulocaust to be swept under the carpet, it's fittiing that the futile attempts of that dispicable dreg of humanity to wipe out our club are kept to the fore occasionally.

IWasThere2016
03-06-2010, 10:15 PM
I didn't hate the Yams 'til Mercer.

May his beloved Yams soon join him in hell

Jamesie
03-06-2010, 10:21 PM
If that had been me, I'd have gone in, sh@t on his sofa and wiped my @rse with his curtains. Being 17 at the time, I wouldn't have bothered about losing my job to get one over on the fat tory *******.

Heard a story that when Mercer was in hospital he "instructed" a visitor who was visiting someone in the bed next to him to go and buy him a newspaper, handing over a £20 note.

The visitor duly agreed...albeit Mercer didn't see a paper, the visitor, or indeed his £20 note ever again. :bye:

weonlywon6-2
04-06-2010, 06:48 AM
he had 53% of hibs shares needing 65% i think to take us over and merge us with the others, close call

it was, and a massive thank you to sir tom farmer for getting involved, but most of all to the hoh campaigners - they were immense:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: