PDA

View Full Version : John Hagart

Peevemor
02-06-2010, 11:33 AM
I see there's a thread on JKB saying that former Hearts and Falkirk manager John Hagart has sadly passed away.

One of my pals and his hibs daft family were very close to John and I first met him, through them, when he was still manager of Hearts (an extremely difficult job, even then). Since then I met John countless times (he was a joiner to trade) and although he was Hearts daft, he was a lovely, ordinary guy - it's been suggested he was too nice to be a football manager.

Okay, it's nothing really to do with Hibs, but it's sad to see another of the Edinburgh 'old school' dissappear.

RIP John.

Scouse Hibee
02-06-2010, 12:21 PM
RIP John. So sorry to hear of this, I have known John for years through his work for Sharkey's, he was indeed a gentleman who was always willing to help and was well respected by many.

Feed McGraw
02-06-2010, 12:21 PM
I didn`t know John personally but my Dad did. I remember him saying what a really nice guy he was - a real gentleman.

R.I.P. John.

--------
02-06-2010, 12:35 PM
I didn`t know John personally but my Dad did. I remember him saying what a really nice guy he was - a real gentleman.

R.I.P. John.

:agree:

He was manager when they were relegated for the first time in their history in the early 1970's. He took responsibility, though there was a lot more to the story than John's alleged inadequacy. He was a gentleman as you say, and didn't deserve the abuse that was thrown at him by the Unwashed Ones.

I wonder how they'll treat this on their websites?

Aubenas
02-06-2010, 01:14 PM
Aye, always seemed a good guy, and, as has been mentioned, a reminder of times when football rivalry in Edinburgh was a wee bit more civilised. RIP.

Greentinted
02-06-2010, 01:23 PM
I met JH a handful of times 5 or so years ago. He spoke engagingly and respecfully about both the city's clubs and, has been said, came over as a thouroughly decent chap. Sad loss for Edinburgh football.

Sincere condolences across the football divide to those who knew and were close to him.

RIP John Haggart.

Phil D. Rolls
02-06-2010, 04:12 PM
Sorry to hear this, he is someone I associate with another age of football rivalry in the city, when it was still just a game. Condolences to his family.

brog
02-06-2010, 04:17 PM
John H was indeed a gentleman & it's nice to see tributes on this board. From memory I believe he never won a game against Hibs, perhaps someone can confirm?

BSEJVT
02-06-2010, 04:23 PM
Met him a few times through my dad who knew him well.

Lovely unassuming guy

RIP John

orourke
02-06-2010, 07:49 PM
As most folk who knew him would agree, John was indeed a true gentleman. I knew him through Sharkeys and he was the most down to earth and unassuming guy you could ever meet, he often told stories of when he was Ally Mcloeds assistant manager in the Argentina world cup, rest in peace John you will be sadly missed.

sixtwo
02-06-2010, 07:58 PM
Sad news. Thoughts are with his family. I have read a few things about him and he seemed to be a genuinely nice guy.

ps. apparently Hearts are planning a minutes silence for him. No date has been set yet, they are waiting to find out when the first derby of the season is.

--------
02-06-2010, 08:08 PM
Sad news. Thoughts are with his family. I have read a few things about him and he seemed to be a genuinely nice guy.

ps. apparently Hearts are planning a minutes silence for him. No date has been set yet, they are waiting to find out when the first derby of the season is.

Well, if they do set it up for the derby, let's all show respect for the man.

seanraff07
02-06-2010, 08:13 PM
Well, if they do set it up for the derby, let's all show respect for the man.

Is the first Derby of the season not at ER as it was Tynie last season?

If so then i doubt they will have a minutes silence if it turned out to be first game of the season, although as you said if they did then everyone should pay their respect.:agree:

--------
02-06-2010, 09:23 PM
Is the first Derby of the season not at ER as it was Tynie last season?

If so then i doubt they will have a minutes silence if it turned out to be first game of the season, although as you said if they did then everyone should pay their respect.:agree:

I would expect so, in which case there won't be a problem.

As it is, IIRC the only time there's been any dissent from a tribute at a derby match at Tynie was at the one for Wally Smirker. I don't think any Hibs supporter holds any grudges against JH. As said already, a very decent man and a gentleman.

seanraff07
02-06-2010, 09:29 PM
I would expect so, in which case there won't be a problem.

As it is, IIRC the only time there's been any dissent from a tribute at a derby match at Tynie was at the one for Wally Smirker. I don't think any Hibs supporter holds any grudges against JH. As said already, a very decent man and a gentleman.

Yep, well we did play them at Tynie in January 2009, their was a minutes silence for an ex-Hearts player i think and their was a few Hibbys shouting but your always going to get a few daftys making noise in a minutes silence at a derby when it's uncalled for. As long as it's not the majority.