PDA

View Full Version : Hibs in Europe

Jonnyboy
31-05-2010, 08:54 PM
Folks - part 3 of my series of articles on Hibs in Europe has now been uploaded to the front page

You can catch up with all three parts here and there's more to come in the days ahead :thumbsup:

http://www.hibs.net/list.php?category/4-euro-adventures

What I'm hoping to achieve with this series is to bring back to life games that ..

1) Some of you will have attended

2) Some of you will have heard of them from older Hibees; and/or

3) You'll all realise that we have a club to be proud of :greengrin

MSK
31-05-2010, 08:57 PM
Folks - part 3 of my series of articles on Hibs in Europe has now been uploaded to the front page

You can catch up with all three parts here and there's more to come in the days ahead :thumbsup:

http://www.hibs.net/list.php?category/4-euro-adventures

What I'm hoping to achieve with this series is to bring back to life games that ..

1) Some of you will have attended

2) Some of you will have heard of them from older Hibees; and/or

3) You'll all realise that we have a club to be proud of :greengrinKeep up the good work JC ...:aok:

DaveF
01-06-2010, 11:07 AM
Worth a lunchtime read folks :agree:

Jonnyboy
01-06-2010, 09:42 PM
Bump

It occurs to me that these articles kinda prove that Scottish football has by and large stood still whilst all sorts of other European nations have moved onwards and upwards.

Mind you I don't suppose those other nations have three or more governing bodies looking after the game :wink:

HibbyAndy
01-06-2010, 09:47 PM
Jonny i read it, And a bloody good read it was too .

Very much appreciated by me mate :aok: :agree:

Jonnyboy
01-06-2010, 10:04 PM
Jonny i read it, And a bloody good read it was too .

Very much appreciated by me mate :aok: :agree:

Cheers Andy :thumbsup:

Jamesie
01-06-2010, 10:29 PM
Not had a chance to read John's article yet - looking forward to it. I'm conscious that when we played Videoton in 1989 which was the first time we had been in Europe for ten years.

What I wonder is whether that was the first trip for which Hibs took a reasonably sizeable support abroad with them or whether, for games like Strasbourg in '78 and the Scandinavian adventures to Sweden in the previous two years, we took a fair crowd as well?

I'd love to hear tales from any Hibees who made the journey to, for example, Split or Kavajė in '72 - Albania is a difficult enough country to travel today, let alone forty years ago! Did anyone manage to negotiate their way past the Iron Curtain to follow the Hibees to Leipzig in '68?!

Jonnyboy
01-06-2010, 10:31 PM
Not had a chance to read John's article yet - looking forward to it. I'm conscious that when we played Videoton in 1989 which was the first time we had been in Europe for ten years.

What I wonder is whether that was the first trip for which Hibs took a reasonably sizeable support abroad with them or whether, for games like Strasbourg in '78 and the Scandinavian adventures to Sweden in the previous two years, we took a fair crowd as well?

I'd love to hear tales from any Hibees who made the journey to, for example, Split or Kavajė in '72 - Albania is a difficult enough country to travel today, let alone forty years ago! Did anyone manage to negotiate their way past the Iron Curtain to follow the Hibees to Leipzig in '68?!

Damned good questions J :agree:

Must be somebody who jumped the Berlin Wall :greengrin

Jamesie
01-06-2010, 11:25 PM
Damned good questions J :agree:

Must be somebody who jumped the Berlin Wall :greengrin

Interesting to look at our opposition over the years:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hibernian_F.C._in_Europe

A betting man might say we're going to Sweden this summer, given we've already played their teams five times in Europe! I wonder if groups were previously regionalised?

Probably not, given we've been to the Balkans four times over the years, three in the former Yugoslavia and once in Albania. Wonder if we might be back in Belgrade this autumn - I hope if we are we can avenge the score on our last visit :greengrin

Jamesie
01-06-2010, 11:27 PM
The answer will most certainly be no, but I wonder if any supporters followed us on our tour of Brazil in 1953?!