PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Glasgow Hotels...help required

Speedy
31-05-2010, 06:40 PM
I'm looking for a cheap hotel in glasgow(centre) on the 26th June but everywhere seems to be booked. Does anyone have any ideas?

The price I'm looking for is around that of travelodge etc.

Cheers in advance

Edit: I've tried Travelodge, Holiday Inn, Premier Inn and they are all full apparently.

CB_NO3
31-05-2010, 07:24 PM
Am sure there is a Glasgow mod weekender on that week, thats why most hotels are booked. Try the Etap hotel, thats pretty cheap.

Speedy
31-05-2010, 07:42 PM
Am sure there is a Glasgow mod weekender on that week, thats why most hotels are booked. Try the Etap hotel, thats pretty cheap.

Fully booked :grr: £40 per night the rest of the week as well

Frazerbob
01-06-2010, 10:03 AM
I'm looking for a cheap hotel in glasgow(centre) on the 26th June but everywhere seems to be booked. Does anyone have any ideas?

The price I'm looking for is around that of travelodge etc.

Cheers in advance

Edit: I've tried Travelodge, Holiday Inn, Premier Inn and they are all full apparently.

Top tip!!

Travelodge & Premier Inn will tell you they are full when they are not quite fully booked if you are trying to book for one night only. Try again booking for two nights then cancel the the 2nd night any time up to the day before with no charge.

marinello59
01-06-2010, 10:24 AM
Top tip!!

Travelodge & Premier Inn will tell you they are full when they are not quite fully booked if you are trying to book for one night only. Try again booking for two nights then cancel the the 2nd night any time up to the day before with no charge.

That does work but what Travelodge are actually doing in that situation is overbooking. They gamble that somebody won't turn up and generally get away with it. (Plenty of punters book the £15 non-refundable rooms and don't use them.) Sometimes they get caught out though. Always turn up as early as you can to a TL if you don't want the hassle of being outbooked.

Frazerbob
01-06-2010, 10:35 AM
That does work but what Travelodge are actually doing in that situation is overbooking. They gamble that somebody won't turn up and generally get away with it. (Plenty of punters book the £15 non-refundable rooms and don't use them.) Sometimes they get caught out though. Always turn up as early as you can to a TL if you don't want the hassle of being outbooked.

Many hotels (and airlines) over book on purpose however the 2 night thing is actually when a hotel is nearing capacity. It's a normal practise so that they don't lose out on bookings of more than one night because they are full of one night bokings. When I worked in Le Monde the booking system automatically withdraws availability from the discount sites and for one night bookings when the hotel reaches a certain occupancy. There are various trigger levels for the various deals etc.

I've only ever been double booked once with Premier Inn and they told me in advance. They moved me to a new hotel on the outskirts of Glasgow, paid for my taxi to and from the train station and my taxi to and from my night out in Glasgow. Also left a bottle of wine in the room for me so all in all, I was delighted to get bumped!

marinello59
01-06-2010, 12:21 PM
Many hotels (and airlines) over book on purpose however the 2 night thing is actually when a hotel is nearing capacity. It's a normal practise so that they don't lose out on bookings of more than one night because they are full of one night bokings. When I worked in Le Monde the booking system automatically withdraws availability from the discount sites and for one night bookings when the hotel reaches a certain occupancy. There are various trigger levels for the various deals etc.

I've only ever been double booked once with Premier Inn and they told me in advance. They moved me to a new hotel on the outskirts of Glasgow, paid for my taxi to and from the train station and my taxi to and from my night out in Glasgow. Also left a bottle of wine in the room for me so all in all, I was delighted to get bumped!

It's the percentage Travelodge are willing to overbook that is different from the 'normal' hotels though. Over two years in a 'normal' hotel and I don't think we had a single outbooking. With Travelodge it was a weekly occurence. (Same customer profile, workers travelling to and from the rigs, any stays of more than one night were a rarity). The bookings are nearly all taken centrally for Travelodge with very little room for manouevre at local level..... except to take the flak generated.
I don't know how Premier Inn work, havent worked for them.:greengrin

DH1875
01-06-2010, 07:05 PM
Word to the wise when looking for accomodation during the summer months.
CHECK WITH LOCAL UNIVERSITIES. They rent out rooms in some of their hall of residence cause there aren't students living in them.
You can get a room in the student flats at partick thistles ground for £30. Only 5 mins to city centre by bus or taxi.