PDA

View Full Version : NHC New Zealand for the World Cup!

Steve-O
30-05-2010, 12:38 AM
Well, not quite, but maybe worth a punt for a couple of upsets in the group stages...:wink:

Unfairly beaten by the Aussies with the last kick of the ball on Monday (after the Aussie did their best at a total hatchet job), and now they have beaten Serbia 1-0 last night...

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/football/world-cup/all-whites/3754860/All-Whites-in-upset-win-over-Serbia

Check out Vidic having to get on a mic DURING the game to tell the Serbian fans to calm down!! :faf:

Oh, and my old mate Shane Smeltz scored the winner...:greengrin

Hibs On Tour
30-05-2010, 01:35 AM
Hey that's no as far fetched as mine - Paraguay beating Brazil after the group stages... :greengrin

Auckland Hibs
30-05-2010, 05:20 AM
Well, not quite, but maybe worth a punt for a couple of upsets in the group stages...:wink:

Unfairly beaten by the Aussies with the last kick of the ball on Monday (after the Aussie did their best at a total hatchet job), and now they have beaten Serbia 1-0 last night...
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/football/world-cup/all-whites/3754860/All-Whites-in-upset-win-over-Serbia

Check out Vidic having to get on a mic DURING the game to tell the Serbian fans to calm down!! :faf:

How the **** did the ref not show a red in that game is one of life's mysteries, he was so bad it was worse than us playing in Glesga!

Come on the All Whites in the WC ! ! ! :agree:

Iain G
30-05-2010, 05:54 AM
If they manage to take a point off any of the teams in the group it will be a good result for NZ football, a good positive campaign is what is needed as this country has finally started to realise that football is THE sport, not egg chasing :greengrin

Decent defensively, very good presence up front and some strikers who can take chances, midfield a bit dodgy mind you, but you never know how it will go, come on the All Whites :thumbsup:

HH81
30-05-2010, 06:15 AM

I saw them a couple years ago and they were awful. They will bottom of their group.

Met Mr Smeltz when he played for Halifax, seemed a nice chap but never really got a look in, he could have done a job at that level too I reckon.

Auckland Hibs
30-05-2010, 06:33 AM
If they manage to take a point off any of the teams in the group it will be a good result for NZ football, a good positive campaign is what is needed as this country has finally started to realise that football is THE sport, not egg chasing :greengrin

Decent defensively, very good presence up front and some strikers who can take chances, midfield a bit dodgy mind you, but you never know how it will go, come on the All Whites :thumbsup:

I was chatting with a few Kiwi guys in the pub over the weekend, one of them fancied the AW's to make the next round - had to stop myself laughing! If they score a goal I will be delighted, although the performances against OZ (particularly the 1st half) and Serbia took me by surprise.

Come on N.Z ! ! :thumbsup:

Iain G
30-05-2010, 07:23 AM
I was chatting with a few Kiwi guys in the pub over the weekend, one of them fancied the AW's to make the next round - had to stop myself laughing! If they score a goal I will be delighted, although the performances against OZ (particularly the 1st half) and Serbia took me by surprise.

I can see them getting a draw against either Paraguay or Slovakia (or is it Slovenia???) and as long as they don't get humped against Italy it will be a good tournament for them.

Worried that there is very little depth to the squad once you get outside the first 14 or so players...

Hibernia Na Eir
30-05-2010, 01:49 PM
i actually think either OZ or USA may do well at the WC...

usually one team surprises.

seanraff07
30-05-2010, 08:55 PM
What are the odds for Killen top goalscorer?

:greengrin

Mixu62
31-05-2010, 01:01 AM

I can see them scoring v Paraguay, maybe even getting a score draw, but reckon the Euro teams will be too strong. The whole country is praying Ryan Nelsen's legs hold out!:greengrin Can we have a kiwi-hibby smiley?! And I don't mean the sheep one:devil:

Auckland Hibs
31-05-2010, 01:18 AM
I can see them scoring v Paraguay, maybe even getting a score draw, but reckon the Euro teams will be too strong. The whole country is praying Ryan Nelsen's legs hold out!:greengrin Can we have a kiwi-hibby smiley?! And I don't mean the sheep one:devil:

After the performances against OZ and Serbia I'm starting to think they have peaked too early!

One news last night made me laugh, apparently the result against Serbia was "the talk of world football" - Erm, maybe not quite.

Steve-O
31-05-2010, 05:22 AM
i actually think either OZ or USA may do well at the WC...

usually one team surprises.

I think the surprise this year will be just how sheeeite the Aussies are to be honest, I fancy them to fall flat big time, and they think they will do well.

Steve-O
31-05-2010, 05:24 AM
I saw them a couple years ago and they were awful. They will bottom of their group.

Met Mr Smeltz when he played for Halifax, seemed a nice chap but never really got a look in, he could have done a job at that level too I reckon.

Wouldn't be quite so sure of that...they've definitely improved and while they are limited, they are currently using what they do have pretty well.

Another 1-0 win vs Slovakia is not out of the question IMO and it will be interesting to see what the odds are on that.