PDA

View Full Version : Seeding our new pitch rather than turfing

Aaron
25-05-2010, 03:52 PM
I notice that we are seeding our new pitch rather than turfing it. Any gardeners out there know what will produce the best surface?

Lets hope this weather keeps up to make sure the seeded pitch in ready in time and not patchy.

Andy74
25-05-2010, 03:54 PM
Seeding is the best way if there is time. Should be a great surface now that the underlying issues have been addressed.

Aaron
25-05-2010, 03:55 PM
Seeding is the best way if there is time. Should be a great surface now that the underlying issues have been addressed.

What were the issues and what caused them in the first place? I think I remember seeing something about black mould ?

robinp
25-05-2010, 04:00 PM
What were the issues and what caused them in the first place? I think I remember seeing something about black mould ?

There was some sort of grass root disease which stopped large areas from growing. Basically meant the only way to make the surface better was to rip the pitch up and start again.

Oscar Lomax
25-05-2010, 04:06 PM
Seeding is the best method. Im sure they will have spoken to the STRI (Sports Turf Research Institude), about the best mix off grass seed to use to produce a nice thick, dense surface that can be cut short. It will be ready in plenty off time for the new season :wink:. I have a gardening company and use turf always unless told not too. Its an instant lawn but if the soil is weed free giving to seed a chance to beat them the surface will be immaculate.

hibs0666
25-05-2010, 07:32 PM
Evening News says that the seed went in this week so the pitch should start to get greener and greener from the end of next week. :thumbsup:

CallumLaidlaw
26-05-2010, 09:04 PM
Evening News says that the seed went in this week so the pitch should start to get greener and greener from the end of next week. :thumbsup:

it is going to look really weird seeing a good green pitch at ER. And with the extra width on the pitch, lets hope we can play the football to match the surface :thumbsup:

Ernie Cobra
26-05-2010, 09:25 PM
So thats us and the pitch seeded for a Euro Extravaganza:wink:

James70
26-05-2010, 11:42 PM
Will the pitch be in different shades of green too? :wink:

Jack
27-05-2010, 06:02 AM
I hope when its cut it will be all the same hight.

WeAreHibs
27-05-2010, 06:14 AM
Will the corners be filled in?

bighairyfaeleith
27-05-2010, 07:20 AM
I sincerely hope the grass will all be the same shade of green. Otherwise I'm not going back!!!