PDA

View Full Version : New East Stand Question

Fat Penlon
24-05-2010, 08:47 PM
Does anyone know why the other 3 stands have been built at street level but the New East is being built on a bit of a hill?

Sorry for being thick just an observation from attending the last couple of home games and the recent pics from the other thread.

Thanks in advance! :greengrin

Gordon Quinn
24-05-2010, 09:06 PM
I am going out on a limb here and I'm sure a construction guru will be quick to correct me if wrong but..... I think as a result of the pitch being levelled some years ago the old east stand foundations were on/in ground that was above the current pitch level. So it's easier and cheaper to build the new stand on that plateau and only have to remove the earth at the front for the first few rows rather than move many tons of earth just so you start building at pitch level.

Prob a million miles away but worth a stab.:confused:

--------
24-05-2010, 11:01 PM
I am going out on a limb here and I'm sure a construction guru will be quick to correct me if wrong but..... I think as a result of the pitch being levelled some years ago the old east stand foundations were on/in ground that was above the current pitch level. So it's easier and cheaper to build the new stand on that plateau and only have to remove the earth at the front for the first few rows rather than move many tons of earth just so you start building at pitch level.

:agree: Yip. I'd say you were absolutely on the money here - we have five rows of seats resting on the lowest layer of the old terracing mound, the South end of which was roughly 8 feet above the present pitch level. The way they've done the work has levelled the foundations of the new stand; the fact that the remains of the old terracing mound raise the foundations about 8 feet means we're actually building a smaller stand, but capacity (thanks to the five rows resting on the ground) will be according to plan.

Cunning old Rod. :wink:

steviecarnie
24-05-2010, 11:27 PM
ive got another question, the new road that will be built behind the east for us to get into the stand, is that going to be called anything or just left as part of hawkhill avenue??

jae
25-05-2010, 01:15 AM
ive got another question, the new road that will be built behind the east for us to get into the stand, is that going to be called anything or just left as part of hawkhill avenue??

(the) Petrie Way :thumbsup:

Nando™
25-05-2010, 01:23 AM
(the) Petrie Way :thumbsup:
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

hibee4life1983
25-05-2010, 01:45 AM
'The petrie way'

Thats just gold, tash sprinkled gold.

cabbageandribs1875
25-05-2010, 08:18 AM
Rod Road

Tache terrace

Petrie Place

jgl07
25-05-2010, 01:10 PM

Sounds about right to me.

There is not an issue over the interior of the stand or any need to have two levels as in the other stands at Easter Road.

So there seems no point in spending money to remove the earth and then spending more money on building a higher stand than is necessary. There is no loss of capacity as the front few rows of seats can be below the base of the remainder of the stand.

It's an example of building with the terrain rather than bulldozing everything to pitch level and building up from there.

This is one of the reasons why the cost is so low. The contractor's have it at £3 million on their website. I don't know if the demolition and ground clearance was a separate contract as I heard that the total cost was £3.5 million.

andyg
25-05-2010, 01:26 PM
Lets be avenue :greengrin

hibs0666
25-05-2010, 03:51 PM
East Terrace

M11BMO
25-05-2010, 04:00 PM

Good question mate.

We should start a petition to have it names something the fans would like.

TariqE
25-05-2010, 04:09 PM
With regards to the new street behind the new stand, will it link up to that behind the south stand? i.e. will one be able to walk all the way around the stadium?

steviecarnie
25-05-2010, 04:11 PM
With regards to the new street behind the new stand, will it link up to that behind the south stand? i.e. will one be able to walk all the way around the stadium?

it already does, i remember when we won the cis in 07 sneaking into the east stand by going along that road and jumping the fence

TariqE
25-05-2010, 04:20 PM
it already does, i remember when we won the cis in 07 sneaking into the east stand by going along that road and jumping the fence

Having to jump a fence means that it doesn't :agree:

magpie1892
25-05-2010, 04:26 PM
East Terrace

Winner.

down-the-slope
25-05-2010, 05:47 PM
as has been said the option of single tier and reduced internal fit out meant the higher terrain could be used to reduce both ground works and amount of steel required...which is why the price / opportunity to build now was a double must....

The Stand should Be 'The Sir Tom Farmer East'....he really needs some credit for the fact we even remain let alone are about to complete a staduim the envy of all outside the OF...that way he gets credit....and those who don't care / like tradition will just call it 'The East'

He is far too modest a man to ever be keen on this but we the fans should insist

ahibby
25-05-2010, 05:55 PM
as has been said the option of single tier and reduced internal fit out meant the higher terrain could be used to reduce both ground works and amount of steel required...which is why the price / opportunity to build now was a double must....

The Stand should Be 'The Sir Tom Farmer East'....he really needs some credit for the fact we even remain let alone are about to complete a staduim the envy of all outside the OF...that way he gets credit....and those who don't care / like tradition will just call it 'The East'

He is far too modest a man to ever be keen on this but we the fans should insist

I agree with the idea of naming it after STF.

MyJo
25-05-2010, 06:00 PM
I agree with the idea of naming it after STF.

Name the "street" behind the stand Sir Tom Farmer's Way :greengrin

steviecarnie
25-05-2010, 06:03 PM
Having to jump a fence means that it doesn't :agree:

No:grr: it means i sneaked round the back of the south along the dirt road that was there and jumped over the fence that was there before.

Fat Penlon
25-05-2010, 07:55 PM
Thanks for all the info guys. Think the stadium will look amazin when finished.

GGTTH