PDA

View Full Version : Match Updates England Mexico

bingo70
24-05-2010, 07:36 PM
Englnd 1 up

English look decent with the ball but absolutely murder without it, IMO they'll struggle against the better teams.

Mexico have just missed two good chances :grr:

BTW it's on channel 853 if you've got Virgin

we are hibs
24-05-2010, 07:38 PM
goal for england crouch wee but big *******:grr:

IWasThere2016
24-05-2010, 07:39 PM
2 zip to the Cants

seanraff07
24-05-2010, 07:39 PM
Englnd 1 up

English look decent with the ball but absolutely murder without it, IMO they'll struggle against the better teams.

Mexico have just missed two good chances :grr:

BTW it's on channel 853 if you've got Virgin

Mexico have absolutely dominated.

Awk 2-0 this is so undeserved and it was a handball.:grr:

The funny thing is though England will convince themselves that they've actually played well but so far they have been outplayed at home to an apparently weak Mexico side at Wembley.

bingo70
24-05-2010, 07:41 PM
goal for england crouch wee but big *******:grr:

Another Mexico chance missed :boo hoo:

Hoping this lures them into a false sense of security, if they concede possesion like this against the likes of Brazil, Spain, Holland etc they'll get spanked IMO, they won't be gifted goals like they've got tonight for sure anyway.

Removed
24-05-2010, 07:43 PM
Hoping this lures them into a false sense of security, if they concede possesion like this against the likes of Brazil, Spain, Holland etc they'll get spanked IMO, they won't be gifted goals like they've got tonight for sure anyway.

:agree: Hope they bang in a few more. Imagine the press, pundits and hooligans. Will be even sweeter when they get pumped at the WC :greengrin

we are hibs
24-05-2010, 07:46 PM
MEXICO ARE FAST WEE GITS EH?:agree:

Cameron1875
24-05-2010, 07:48 PM
Its hard to believe how bad some of England's players are but the commentators just refuse to criticise.
Johnson and Carrick are hopeless which makes the fact 18 mill was spent on them each even more incredible. Leighton baines pace is an issue and I've never been a fan of Walcott being honest.

The Mexicans are a decent side but if they gift goals like the ones they have then they won't go far in the WC.

bingo70
24-05-2010, 07:48 PM
:agree: Hope they bang in a few more. Imagine the press, pundits and hooligans. Will be even sweeter when they get pumped at the WC :greengrin

Are we still talking about the world cup?

The knob end commentating just said something along the lines of.. "if it keeps going like this imagine how good a world cup it could be", they've been absolutely pish!

Who else are england playing in friendlies in the build up to the world cup?

marinello59
24-05-2010, 07:50 PM
The funny thing is though England will convince themselves that they've actually played well but so far they have been outplayed at home to an apparently weak Mexico side at Wembley.

The media might. Capello won't. The players won't be in any doubt about the siginifcance or otherwise of this performance..................no matter how much we want them to get carried away.

we are hibs
24-05-2010, 07:52 PM
YASSSSS GOAL MEXICO:thumbsup:

Cameron1875
oye oye cmon the mexicans:greengrin

The commentators canny believe it:faf:

Calvin
What was a 'tight, tight' call about that?

Mon the Mexicans

Russdoorsfan71
24-05-2010, 07:53 PM
Think the main thing to remember here is that the scoreline in these types of games mean zip, its more about the performance. Defencivly England have looked solid and compact, if not alittle shakey under the counter attack at times. The only glimmer of danger going forward so far has been Walcott, but the laddie has the decision making skills of an MSP!

If Engurland think this is good enough to win a wolrd cup I think they may have to think again.

Good to see the Mexicans getting one back before half time.

bingo70
24-05-2010, 07:53 PM
Its hard to believe how bad some of England's players are but the commentators just refuse to criticise.
Johnson and Carrick are hopeless which makes the fact 18 mill was spent on them each even more incredible. Leighton baines pace is an issue and I've never been a fan of Walcott being honest.

The Mexicans are a decent side but if they gift goals like the ones they have then they won't go far in the WC.

All walcott has is pace, against some of the poorer sides thats enough, against the top sides they'll deal with him no bother, the likes of the italians and germans know how to deal with players like that!

Goal mexico, can't believe the commentators said that was a close call whether the ball was over the line or not :faf:

Scorrie
24-05-2010, 08:07 PM
Alan Mullery on Sky Sports newsis saying the score should be 2 - 0 to Mexico, totally dominating. 2 - 1

Mullery has been spot on tonight. He recognises how poor this England side is. They have no pace whatsoever outwith Walcott. The USA play like Mexico but much better and i think a wee bet on them winning thier group at 5-1 looks interesting

manewhut
24-05-2010, 08:08 PM
ITV 1 on HD is available on Sky HD - seemingly it available in England & Wales but not Scotland because of the fall out between ITV & STV

But see this Link......... (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/92/33649493-how-add-itv-hd-sky-hd.html) on how to add it manually

Apologies if this has already been posted..

we are hibs
24-05-2010, 08:10 PM
3-1 england absouloute beuty ma arse:grr:

marinello59
24-05-2010, 08:21 PM
3-1 england absouloute beuty ma arse:grr:

Hate to say it but it was a pretty good goal.:greengrin

we are hibs
24-05-2010, 08:30 PM
free kick shaved the post by stevie G:hilarious

we are hibs
24-05-2010, 08:55 PM
FULL TIME : England 3-1 mexico

steakbake
24-05-2010, 09:03 PM
Mullery has been spot on tonight. He recognises how poor this England side is. They have no pace whatsoever outwith Walcott. The USA play like Mexico but much better and i think a wee bet on them winning thier group at 5-1 looks interesting

I had no idea thems was the odds. The US will win the world cup one day. They're sending a good squad to SA. I reckon if they can get through the group stage, they might go on to greatness.

I dont realistically think Algeria are up to much.

Leicester Fan
24-05-2010, 09:08 PM
You can't take these warm up games too seriously.We didn't play great but that won't be our first choice 11 and we weren't trying that hard.

.Sean.
24-05-2010, 09:16 PM
I had no idea thems was the odds. The US will win the world cup one day. They're sending a good squad to SA. I reckon if they can get through the group stage, they might go on to greatness.

I dont realistically think Algeria are up to much.
Really? :confused:

I can't see it. 'Soccer' in the US is generally the fourth most popular sport, behind Baseball, Basketball and American Football. In some areas it's even less popular than Ice Hockey. Granted with such a large population they're bound to produce a couple great players in the future but win the World Cup? No chance. The 'David Beckham factor', and with him being argubly the biggest footballing superstar ever, couldn't even sustaine an interest in the game in the States.

bingo70
24-05-2010, 09:17 PM
You can't take these warm up games too seriously.We didn't play great but that won't be our first choice 11 and we weren't trying that hard.

I actually agree with that to an extent, the only thing about the game which i found was relevant was that in recent years IMO england have struggled against teams that have a strong midfield and dominate posession and i think there was more evidence of that tonight against a team which probably won't make any impact at the world cup this year.

Considering how good individually your midfield is it's unbelievable how you've never managed to find a combination that works.

HibeeMcGinn1
24-05-2010, 10:32 PM

I can't see it. 'Soccer' in the US is generally the fourth most popular sport, behind Baseball, Basketball and American Football. In some areas it's even less popular than Ice Hockey. Granted with such a large population they're bound to produce a couple great players in the future but win the World Cup? No chance. The 'David Beckham factor', and with him being argubly the biggest footballing superstar ever, couldn't even sustaine an interest in the game in the States.

although The USA winning the world cup is highly unlikely but 'Soccer' is on the way up. The Beckham idea didnt exactly work the way it was intended but it got alot of money into the game. The gaffer Bob Bradley has the team playing football the way it should be, they finished second in the Confederations Cup earlier this year after deafeating 35 game unbeaten Spain. With a squad like they have I think they will be the dark hourse this year. I predict Quarters for them. USA USA USA USA USA USA USA :thumbsup:

hibee4life1983
25-05-2010, 01:42 AM
I hate england

marinello59
25-05-2010, 06:22 AM

Spot on. The game is totally different when the tackles are going in for real. I thought that was a good work out for England last night. A good result along with enough warning signs to prevent complacency setting in. I still reckon the semi-finals is a realistic target for them.

Posh Swanny
25-05-2010, 08:36 AM
Considering how good individually your midfield is it's unbelievable how you've never managed to find a combination that works.

I think the one that featured throughout the qualifiers is as good as we'll get:

Gerrard, Lampard, Barry and a little speedy wasteful right winger (take your pick).

The two in the middle managed to control quite a few of the qualifying games, allowing Gerrard to get forward and link up with Rooney - although we weren't playing against massive opposition, that was still an improvement on the last 15 years!!! Fitness permitting, I expect that midfield to start against the USA.

dangermouse
25-05-2010, 08:54 AM
ITV 1 on HD is available on Sky HD - seemingly it available in England & Wales but not Scotland because of the fall out between ITV & STV

But see this Link......... (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/92/33649493-how-add-itv-hd-sky-hd.html) on how to add it manually

Apologies if this has already been posted..

Can ITV1 HD be "added" to a Virgin Media V+ box using a similar method?

blackpoolhibs
25-05-2010, 09:41 AM
I hear my friends getting excited, some are openly saying they think this could be the year.:greengrin I on the other hand think they have no chance. They don't keep the ball enough, and rely on brute power too much. They will probably reach the quarters, maybe even the semi's, but their lack of quality will show them up, when they play the good sides.:thumbsup:

JimBHibees
25-05-2010, 10:56 AM
although The USA winning the world cup is highly unlikely but 'Soccer' is on the way up. The Beckham idea didnt exactly work the way it was intended but it got alot of money into the game. The gaffer Bob Bradley has the team playing football the way it should be, they finished second in the Confederations Cup earlier this year after deafeating 35 game unbeaten Spain. With a squad like they have I think they will be the dark hourse this year. I predict Quarters for them. USA USA USA USA USA USA USA :thumbsup:

The US will be well up for that game and wouldnt rule out them turning England over, they will be fit adn organised enough with enough quality to cause England problems.

Apparently the US beat England in the 1950 World cup in Brazil. In them days the result apparently was messaged through when the English newspapers got the result England 0 US 1 they automatically assumed that it was a mistake and the real score was 10-1. :faf: Superb, nothing changes.

seanraff07
25-05-2010, 06:02 PM
Just out of interest.. since Capello took charge of England, what big team have they actually beat? I can't think of any.

steakbake
25-05-2010, 06:15 PM
Just out of interest.. since Capello took charge of England, what big team have they actually beat? I can't think of any.

The 'big team' don't play international football...

steakbake
25-05-2010, 06:16 PM

Yes! I really think they will. Perhaps this World Cup is a bit early - we'll see - but give it a few years...

seanraff07
25-05-2010, 06:19 PM
The 'big team' don't play international football...

Yep cause that would be unfair on the other teams.

Posh Swanny
25-05-2010, 07:24 PM

Germany away.

And Croatia were quite highly ranked when we cuffed them twice.

Lost narrowly in France, torn to shreds in Spain, lost to Brazil and drew in The Netherlands.

seanraff07
25-05-2010, 07:35 PM
Germany away.

And Croatia were quite highly ranked when we cuffed them twice.

Lost narrowly in France, torn to shreds in Spain, lost to Brazil and drew in The Netherlands.

When did yous beat Germany?

I'm not trying to catch you out i just can't remember, true about Croatia but i think they have weakened a lot since 2008, infact i haven't seem them reach the form they were in when they beat yous 4-3 at Wembley since.

Posh Swanny
25-05-2010, 07:44 PM
When did yous beat Germany?

I'm not trying to catch you out i just can't remember, true about Croatia but i think they have weakened a lot since 2008, infact i haven't seem them reach the form they were in when they beat yous 4-3 at Wembley since.

I forgot about it myself when you posed the question initially and was depressing myself with the list of defeats and draws!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/7737012.stm

seanraff07
25-05-2010, 07:48 PM
I forgot about it myself when you posed the question initially and was depressing myself with the list of defeats and draws!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/7737012.stm

Yep i think that springs to mind now.

Still though if yous want to win the WC then yous will need to improve against the bigger teams and play better than you did last night.

Posh Swanny
25-05-2010, 08:04 PM
Yep i think that springs to mind now.

Still though if yous want to win the WC then yous will need to improve against the bigger teams and play better than you did last night.

Indeed. But its always about playing the right teams at the right time. Not many teams do what Spain did in the Euros by playing well throughout. Normally its about winning when you can and playing well when you have to - just look at Italy and Germany in recent tournaments.

But if I'm honest, a bit like Hibs and the Scottish Cup this year, I think 2006 was England's chance. We played pish up to the quarter final but kept scraping through - then looked like a side against Portugal only for Rooney to blow his top, Joe Cole to lose his shooting boots and the Portugal goalie diving the right way for the every one of our awful pens (again).

Anything more than the quarters this year will be an excellent achievement - not that I'll be saying that if we're just about to kick off a semi-final against Spain/Brazil/Argentina!!

Posh Swanny
25-05-2010, 08:08 PM
Apologies for the sensible and rational tone in my posts by the way....

We're ******in' ING-GER-LUND and we're gonna win just like we did in 1966 you b******s! :greengrin

That better?

seanraff07
25-05-2010, 08:14 PM
Indeed. But its always about playing the right teams at the right time. Not many teams do what Spain did in the Euros by playing well throughout. Normally its about winning when you can and playing well when you have to - just look at Italy and Germany in recent tournaments.

But if I'm honest, a bit like Hibs and the Scottish Cup this year, I think 2006 was England's chance. We played pish up to the quarter final but kept scraping through - then looked like a side against Portugal only for Rooney to blow his top, Joe Cole to lose his shooting boots and the Portugal goalie diving the right way for the every one of our awful pens (again).

Anything more than the quarters this year will be an excellent achievement - not that I'll be saying that if we're just about to kick off a semi-final against Spain/Brazil/Argentina!!

The thing is though every bloody year the WC is on we get the usual 'this is going to be our year' pish from yous. Yet yous haven't even made it beyond the Quarters recently. And didn't even qualify for the last major tournament, never mind win it. Spain, Argentina etc... have a better squad than you. Look at your fringe players.. Huddlestone, Jenas and Bent. Then you look at Spain's fringe players.. Reina, Jesus Navas, possibly Xavi or Iniesta. There is a big difference and i amn't worried about all the hype yous are making about your going to win it cause we get it every time there is a major tournament coming up and yous never deliver. And also in relation to the last post you made, since England have such a great squad and are brilliant and all the rest of it, aren't yous a bit embarresed by the fact that yous havent won the WC in 44 years?:boo hoo:

Posh Swanny
25-05-2010, 08:33 PM
The thing is though every bloody year the WC is on we get the usual 'this is going to be our year' pish from yous. Yet yous haven't even made it beyond the Quarters recently. And didn't even qualify for the last major tournament, never mind win it. Spain, Argentina etc... have a better squad than you. Look at your fringe players.. Huddlestone, Jenas and Bent. Then you look at Spain's fringe players.. Reina, Jesus Navas, possibly Xavi or Iniesta. There is a big difference and i amn't worried about all the hype yous are making about your going to win it cause we get it every time there is a major tournament coming up and yous never deliver. And also in relation to the last post you made, since England have such a great squad and are brilliant and all the rest of it, aren't yous a bit embarresed by the fact that yous havent won the WC in 44 years?:boo hoo:

All you say is true - I cringe as much as everyone up here with all the "we're gonna win it" bollox that goes on down south. "We could win it, if everything goes our way" is much more my way of thinking.

As for not winning it in 44 years, I don't buy into all the media hum-drum that surrounds it. 44 years may sound like a long time, but there have only been ten world cups since 1966 and Brazil, Germany, Italy, Argentina and France have shared them. All bar Argentina are bigger than England (or miles bigger in Brazil's case) in terms of population, and all certainly have just as strong domestic football cultures, so its not really as big a "failure" as they all make out.

seanraff07
25-05-2010, 08:41 PM
All you say is true - I cringe as much as everyone up here with all the "we're gonna win it" bollox that goes on down south. "We could win it, if everything goes our way" is much more my way of thinking.

As for not winning it in 44 years, I don't buy into all the media hum-drum that surrounds it. 44 years may sound like a long time, but there have only been ten world cups since 1966 and Brazil, Germany, Italy, Argentina and France have shared them. All bar Argentina are bigger than England (or miles bigger in Brazil's case) in terms of population, and all certainly have just as strong domestic football cultures, so its not really as big a "failure" as they all make out.

I wouldn't class it as a failure if the commentators didn't go on and on about how yous will win it. I'm not sure if the fans over in England have the same opinion or do they have the same mindset as you and think we'll win it if everything goes our way? I think it's mainly the media's cockyness in the build-up that results in it being classed as a failure when you don't get very far. Despite that, i think when you have players like Ferdinand, Lampard, Gerrard and Rooney in your team yous should be aiming to go beyond the quarters, hopefully not though.:greengrin

Posh Swanny
25-05-2010, 08:56 PM
I wouldn't class it as a failure if the commentators didn't go on and on about how yous will win it. I'm not sure if the fans over in England have the same opinion or do they have the same mindset as you and think we'll win it if everything goes our way? I think it's mainly the media's cockyness in the build-up that results in it being classed as a failure when you don't get very far. Despite that, i think when you have players like Ferdinand, Lampard, Gerrard and Rooney in your team yous should be aiming to go beyond the quarters, hopefully not though.:greengrin

I certainly benefit from being detatched from it all. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, most England fans seem to be of the "its a disgrace we didn't win 6-0, Capello out" ilk and will be suicidal if we're 0-0 at half time with the USA in a few weeks. The commentators and "experts" don't help with their rabble-rousing antics, but that's the media and its seemingly universal lowest common denominator policy for you - I prefer to make my own mind up after watching a game and maybe listen to uncut Capello interviews if I can find them, that man knows what's what.

seanraff07
25-05-2010, 09:05 PM
I certainly benefit from being detatched from it all. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, most England fans seem to be of the "its a disgrace we didn't win 6-0, Capello out" ilk and will be suicidal if we're 0-0 at half time with the USA in a few weeks. The commentators and "experts" don't help with their rabble-rousing antics, but that's the media and its seemingly universal lowest common denominator policy for you - I prefer to make my own mind up after watching a game and maybe listen to uncut Capello interviews if I can find them, that man knows what's what.

A bit like the OF 'fans' then?

Yep i quite like Capello, he's a decent manager and knows his stuff, and no doubt yous have improved massively since he took charge, although i can't say i like him for that.

Posh Swanny
25-05-2010, 09:09 PM
A bit like the OF 'fans' then?

Yep i quite like Capello, he's a decent manager and knows his stuff, and no doubt yous have improved massively since he took charge, although i can't say i like him for that.

Everything with England is like the OF. The only thing we're lacking is the dominance!!