PDA

View Full Version : Yams Millwall v The Yam Bams

NadeAteMyLunch!
21-05-2010, 12:17 PM
Im hearing this 'glamour' match has been set up for July. Anyone confirm? If true surely the only good result from the game would be for the New Den to burn down with everyone inside it.

Long suffering
21-05-2010, 12:19 PM
Ive not heard about that but I have heard that we might be playing Carlisle

M11BMO
21-05-2010, 12:20 PM
Apparently it's Neil Harris' testimonial match. Think they would have picked better opposition for that. Hopefully the Yams will get a right good doin' both on and off the pitch :wink:

poolman
21-05-2010, 12:43 PM
Im hearing this 'glamour' match has been set up for July. Anyone confirm? If true surely the only good result from the game would be for the New Den to burn down with everyone inside it.

It's in keeping with Hawrts status dont you know

BIG TEAM.....BIG FRIENDLIES

http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/topic/73145-pre-season/

Ritchie
21-05-2010, 01:10 PM

hope they get a good thrashing.... on & off the park!

HUTCHYHIBBY
21-05-2010, 01:18 PM
http://www.millwallfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10367~2056563,00.html

What a shame, the visiting support will drag that area even further into the s**t!

Sir David Gray
21-05-2010, 01:29 PM
It's a pity we couldn't have been the opposition but we'll be otherwise engaged around that time, preparing for our second leg in Europe. :smug:

Pretty pleased that we're not going down there anyway, I think that would be a nightmare in terms of dealing with the locals.

basehibby
21-05-2010, 03:01 PM
:thumbsup: This is quality!

I remember going to see Hibs down there in the Den for a "Friendly" some time ago - IIRC half our first team ended up getting injured for the start of the season.

Now the Yams are going there... well lets just say it couldn't happen to a nicer club - as a matter of fact I think they were made for each other - a match made in heaven???

Antifa Hibs
21-05-2010, 03:07 PM
Having a wee gander at a few Millwall forums, they appear gutted it isn't Hibs or Aberdeen coming down.

With Hearts it will just be some queen arse licking loyalist love in.

Dashing Bob S
21-05-2010, 03:09 PM
Apparently it's Neil Harris' testimonial match. Think they would have picked better opposition for that. Hopefully the Yams will get a right good doin' both on and off the pitch :wink:

Hearts supposedly only agreed as they thought it was Bomber Harris.

matty_f
21-05-2010, 03:12 PM
Having a wee gander at a few Millwall forums, they appear gutted it isn't Hibs or Aberdeen coming down.

Possibly the best line I've read all day. :thumbsup:

Ryan69
21-05-2010, 03:18 PM
Watched the Millwall game the other night and if they don't get promoted we could do far worse than signing their number 21 Smith I think he was called, a no nonsense tough tackling right back

Dunbar Hibee
21-05-2010, 03:20 PM
Two horrible football clubs go head to head. As said before I hope Hearts get a pasting on and off the field.

Dashing Bob S
21-05-2010, 03:31 PM
Predictable that Millwall would rather have a nice brawl with us or A'deen than a love-in with a bunch of known sex pests.

It might be interesting if some puckish rogues, pretending to be Hearts fans, started posting nonsense on Millwall forums about 'a tasty Jambo mob' coming down 'to do Millwall' which would 'make the time Hibs came down look like a picnic' and how they were 'looking forward to destroying those English poofs' etc etc.

It might sabotage the Yams nauseating attempts at bum-licking and add spice and colour to the occasion.

But where could we find such an unscrupulous band of individuals?

Sir David Gray
21-05-2010, 03:51 PM
Personally, I quite liked this comment on one of their fansites.

All the work the bloke has done for the Everyman Appeal, and other chritable stuff, and the only team we can attract is a two-bob team with two-bob players that nobody has ever heard of? I bet deep down Bomber is gutted.

Read more: http://www.millwall.vitalfootball.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=47712&start=26&posts=46#ixzz0oZyPoTF4

Never a truer thing said. :greengrin

All the Millwall guys that wanted us down should be told that we have bigger fish to fry at that time.

Hearts on the other hand...

It would seem that they're not quite as big as they like to think they are.

.Sean.
21-05-2010, 03:58 PM
''Bringing down some dog**** team from jockland, i'd rather we played Ebsfleet United.''

:faf:

Here's hoping the travelling Yams get a paggering.

PaulSmith
21-05-2010, 04:02 PM
Perhaps someone should post on the Millwall forum some of the fables being peddled on Kickback that the Hibs mob of many moons ago was actually made up of Hearts fans..that should boost the atmosphere at the game.

Jack
21-05-2010, 04:06 PM
How many did the big team take on last years trip to the south of England.
Sure it was less than 100.
Maybe they were chosen because there would be less blood spilled than if a decent club wad involved.

Gatecrasher
21-05-2010, 04:15 PM
''Bringing down some dog**** team from jockland, i'd rather we played Ebsfleet United.''

Here's hoping the travelling Yams get a paggering.

Nah the gorgie aggro will sort them out :faf:

PaulSmith
21-05-2010, 04:22 PM
On the back of the Millwall tops it reads "We fear no Foe"...did the family of Mark-Vivian upset them at one point when at West Ham?

Fantic
21-05-2010, 04:25 PM
Predictable that Millwall would rather have a nice brawl with us or A'deen than a love-in with a bunch of known sex pests.

It might be interesting if some puckish rogues, pretending to be Hearts fans, started posting nonsense on Millwall forums about 'a tasty Jambo mob' coming down 'to do Millwall' which would 'make the time Hibs came down look like a picnic' and how they were 'looking forward to destroying those English poofs' etc etc.

It might sabotage the Yams nauseating attempts at bum-licking and add spice and colour to the occasion.

But where could we find such an unscrupulous band of individuals?

:hmmm:

NOLA
21-05-2010, 04:43 PM

Jamesie
21-05-2010, 05:16 PM
Attended a Hearts v Millwall pre season friendly in Toronto in 2004, dressed in my Hibs top - the bravado of youth, don't think I'd like to go through that again :greengrin

ekhibee
21-05-2010, 08:27 PM
There's no 'hope' about it, if the Hearts fans try anything down at Millwall they WILL get a severe kicking if past history is anything to go by.

sunshine1875
21-05-2010, 08:40 PM

What does it mean "Millwall will be celebrating our Scottish roots next season"?

Sir David Gray
21-05-2010, 08:45 PM

What does it mean "Millwall will be celebrating our Scottish roots next season"?

A little explanation HERE (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Millwall_F.C.).

sunshine1875
21-05-2010, 08:49 PM

Found the answer - seemingly Scots were involved in the early days. I have suddenly become a Millwall supporter - no, not! Below is not exacty conclusive! With the links to "jam", I can see why they are playing Hertz!

http://www.millwall-history.co.uk/origins.htm

So why did the Isle of Dogs, by the 1880's grow to be a solid working class district full of football mad immigrants from the North and Scotland. Its a story that encompasses the growth of London, the Age of Empire and the development of working class leisure time. Why after 25 years did Millwall Football Club uproot and move to New Cross on the other side of the river.
On the following pages: A Potted History of London and its growth , the Isle of Dogs and South East London.

It’s become the one fact included in every write up about Millwall. Millwall FC Founded by Scotsmen working at Morton's Jam Factory on the Isle of Dogs.

Let’s explore this and other myths that have grown up about the founding of Millwall Rovers in 1885.

Did Scotsmen found Millwall Rovers? This seems to be the impression that many people who have read Jim Murray’s book seem to take from it. Actually what Jim wrote was: “A group of workers in a preserve factory – many of them Scottish, some English – were convinced they could form a football team to give other local clubs a tough time.”

A Scottish flavour certainly, reflected in their choice of colours for the kit of Navy Blue and White. The names of some of players in Millwall first season show the cosmopolitan mix that was the Isle of Dogs in those days. Duncan Hean (Capt) George Oliver, J Reekie, Patrick Holohan, Owen Elias, Henry Gunn, Tom Jessup, Joe Potter, Fred Northwood, John Rowland, James Crawford, Harry Butler & George Syme. The Club Secretary was 17-year-old Jasper Sexton, the son of the Landlord of the Islander pub in Tooke Street where Millwall Rovers held their meetings. The First Chairman of the Club was Irish International and Local GP Dr William Murray-Leslie.

What there definitely isn’t any hint of is a group of Scottish Football Missionaries invading the Isle of Dogs and inspiring the locals to found a football club, which certainly is the pattern in some parts of the world. Millwall Rovers was a working mans team, not a works team, founded by young 'Londoners' with the luxury of leisure time on Saturday afternoon, a recent social change in Britain, to indulge in the English mania for football.

One of Millwall’s famous early players, Obed Caygill was a South Londoner, born in 1870 and Millwall’s goalkeeper till 1894 when he broke his leg and gave up football. Asked in an interview in 1893 in English Sports, he said of the founding of Millwall: “A few tinsmiths, engaged on the island were the founders. First called the “Iona” (A distinctly Scottish name!) it grew in importance till it reached it current position. It still continues practically as a working man’s team, only one or two of its members being engaged in other occupations, such as clerkships.”
JT Morton certainly was a Scottish firm, founded in Aberdeen in 1849, supplying food to sailing ships. With the development of the Canning process the market expanded greatly, with Morton’s opening a new plant on The Isle of Dogs in 1870 at the mouth of the West India Docks. Morton's works were on both sides of West Ferry Road, at No's 2 to 4 and 19 to 21. The River frontage was named Sufferance Wharf. The myth also put about is that Millwall was founded by Scotsmen who moved down to London with Mortons. However the 15-year lag tends to rule this out, indeed none of Millwall’s founders were natives of Aberdeen.

It was the growth of London and its job opportunities which drew men and women from all corners of the British Isles and with the Docks and related industries crying out for man power, the Isle of Dogs was a favourite destination for 20 somethings.

The most ridiculous idea about the founding of Millwall is there is such a thing as a Jam Factory! Apart from Jam making being highly seasonal work, the idea that Tin Smiths would be required if the only product was Jam is silly. Jam came in Ceramic pots and was usually made by women workers in the plant. Jam would be a small sideline of the Morton enterprise. Indeed when JT Morton died in 1897 he left a fortune of £250,000 (around £20m in today’s money!) to foreign Missionary work! Morton’s cannery and plant produced a wide range for foods for consumption at home and abroad. The range of products included: preserved fish, meat, soup, vegetables, fruit, sausages, ham, bacon, cheese, confectionery, jams, jellies, marmalades, candid peel, pickles, sauces, potted meats, and potted fish, oatmeal, barley, spices, pepper, salt, curry powders, bottled essence, tea, cocoa, flour, nuts, custard powder and hair oils!
Morton’s employed hundreds of local men and women throughout the year and many more at certain seasons during the year. Morton’s was later swallowed up by the Unilever group and the name stopped being used on products in the 1970’s.

The island also was the home of other famous firms, McDougall’s (Self raising flour) and Duckhams (oil) as well as famous ship building firms such as Yarrow’s and John Scott Russells. Indeed the famous shipyards did reverse journey to Morton’s in moving to the Clyde just after the turn of the century.

The final myth is the Millwall club badge is derived from the Scottish Rampant Lion emblem. This can be scotched because Millwall were known as the Dockers until around the turn of the century when things African came into vogue due to the Boer war. With Millwall’s cup run to the Semi Finals in 1900, they were referred to as Lions for their acts of giant killing and the name stuck and was adopted as the clubs nickname and emblem. It did not appear on club shirts as a badge till the 1930’s. Indeed the first Millwall emblem in the we fear no foe badge bears no resemblance to the heraldic Scottish Lion used by the Scottish FA, indeed even the current badge bears only a passing resemblance to it.
The idea that the badge was modelled on Scottish Lion is down to the similarities of English and Scottish Heraldic symbols and also the wide use of the Rampant Lion symbol in both England and Scotland. In Scotland, the Red Lion is a common because when James I (1566-1625 known as James VI in Scotland) came of age on the throne in 1583 he ordered that a heraldic red lion should be displayed in public places.

In England, The Red Lion evolved because of John of Gaunt who, during the fourteenth century, was the most powerful man in the England. Born in Ghent in 1340, he was Duke of Lancaster and fourth son of Edward III. Gaunt is a corruption of his birthplace. He is most famous for his opposition to the clergy and his protection of Wycliffe. When Wat Tyler led an insurrection in 1381 it was John of Gaunt's palace, which was destroyed. He is mainly remembered in pub names, The Red Lion being the most popular name for pubs in England.

Antifa Hibs
22-05-2010, 08:58 AM
Listen to this hertz muppet on a millwall forum.

Understand mate, but don't underestimate the size of Hearts travelling support

We have easily the 3rd best support in Scotland

Looking forward TBH

Our Av Att would be a tad higher but our ground only holds about 18k these days, waiting on a new stand !!

Second one is my personal favourite :greengrin

seanraff07
22-05-2010, 09:04 AM
Hope they get a do-in on and off the pitch.:greengrin

NadeAteMyLunch!
22-05-2010, 11:12 AM

:tee hee:

Hope he's very patient if hes waiting for a new stand. Yam maths at its best. Our average support is 14,000, it would be higher but our ground only holds 18,000!?lol. What a ****ing prize idiot.

Bostonhibby
22-05-2010, 11:46 AM

:agree:Wait til Millwall get to here about the size of the planning application, they will be wetting themselves,. I wonder if the ordinary working people might be given a public holiday as its not often a team of this size and "reputation" is in London. I wondered if the game might get moved to Wembley because of the travelling support, they will fill it if even 20% turn up.

Actually a shame for Harris as he is a very good player and does all the right things off the pitch as well.

hibsdaft
22-05-2010, 12:45 PM

not sure about that - Millwall hate everyone, queen included i would imagine.

Bayern Bru
22-05-2010, 12:53 PM
Someone needs to get on these Millwall forums and post the truth about Hearts.
And some carefully chosen pork pies as well, like.

Something about their new £51million pound stand with hotel and 20k capacity and shopping mall and lights and whistles would be a good place to start.

Bayern Bru
22-05-2010, 12:54 PM
not sure about that - Millwall hate everyone, queen included i would imagine.

As the song goes - No-one likes us, we don't care!

BullbreedHFC
22-05-2010, 06:13 PM
two clubs well suited for a friendly :agree: hope they kick lumps out of each other :wink:
the fans and players :greengrin no one likes them :bitchy: we dont care :bye:

frazeHFC
22-05-2010, 06:24 PM
We are playing Hibernians of Malta

matty_f
22-05-2010, 07:20 PM

I wonder if any Millwall fans noticed how big the travelling Yams support was at places such as Motherwell, St Mirren, and Kilmarnock this season. There were literally car loads there.

Sergey
22-05-2010, 07:26 PM

Very clever, Bob :agree:

Bostonhibby
22-05-2010, 08:40 PM
The yammish are hoping to get a party atmosphere going so they are going in fancy dress / their traditional costume

Albanian Hibs
22-05-2010, 11:10 PM
The yammish are hoping to get a party atmosphere going so they are going in fancy dress / their traditional costume

Booked4Being-Ugly
23-05-2010, 12:24 PM
I wonder if Millwall will have a big enough stand for this away crowd, they could be struggling like:

http://www.greensonscreen.co.uk/matchdisplays/heartsPSF09H/1/slides/DSC_2166.asp

K.Marx
23-05-2010, 09:55 PM
I wonder if Millwall will have a big enough stand for this away crowd, they could be struggling like:

http://www.greensonscreen.co.uk/matchdisplays/heartsPSF09H/1/slides/DSC_2166.asp

:faf::faf::faf:

Biggie
23-05-2010, 10:26 PM

antifa...looks like someone's already infiltrated the millwall fansite...these are beauties:thumbsup:

It will be carnage.....

Hainan Hibs
23-05-2010, 10:56 PM

:top marks:faf:

Fantic
23-05-2010, 11:02 PM
Hearts will ****e it. They'll be lucky to take 200 fans down.

Banter
23-05-2010, 11:05 PM

I count about 90 Yams and one Hibby - Seriously bottom left it looks suspiciously like the boy is wearing a Hibs.net 07 cup final winners T-Shirt.

However a Jambo aquaintance reliably informs me that the other 399,910 yams where in the Q for a Ginsters.

Booked4Being-Ugly
24-05-2010, 08:34 AM
I count about 90 Yams and one Hibby - Seriously bottom left it looks suspiciously like the boy is wearing a Hibs.net 07 cup final winners T-Shirt.

However a Jambo aquaintance reliably informs me that the other 399,910 yams where in the Q for a Ginsters.Click to photo # 37 :thumbsup:

seanraff07
24-05-2010, 03:37 PM

Brilliant.:faf:

I take it the other 399,900 of them were on holiday?:greengrin

hibeedonald
24-05-2010, 05:50 PM
on the millwall forum there saying its likely hearts will pay "for hibs cheek" :thumbsup::wink:

Fantic
26-05-2010, 10:31 PM
Some Millwall fuds response to a Yam fuds attempt at a suck up:

''Dont get me wrong im a loyalist and hate those Ira supporting ***** as much as anyone and if im honest have soft spot for hearts and traveled up their on occasion to watch matches with hearts mates but when your down here its a different thing , drunken jocks pissing up walls and laying in gutter or even drinking in pubs down here wont be tolerated and i think the jock hard men are in for the shock of their lives and would do well to stay in traflagar square drinking buckfast''

''This is Millwall , there will be no half and half scarves on sale or hands across the border ***** from us , visiting fans are not welcome down here end of''

Hainan Hibs
27-05-2010, 04:02 PM
Some of the stuff is hilarious on the forums :faf:

But jeezo, if we have a chip on our shoulders a lot of their fans have an entire chippie's worth of chips on theirs.

Almost feel like registering and tell them to get our free University roooond them:greengrin

joe breezy
27-05-2010, 08:45 PM
Any Hearts that go will be all about tubing up to Millwall as much as possible and I don't think they'll get leathered to be honest.

I heard it was supposed to be Aberdeen at first then they realised that could be a full scale riot as Aberdeen go with Spurs so you were looking at Spurs and Aberdeen taking a healthy mob - I would say about 200 Spurs / Aberdeen hoolies at least would have went

Now there will be about 20 Hearts wearing Millwall badges singing No Surrender and waving Union Jacks

Wembley67
27-05-2010, 09:21 PM
Pretty pathetic really. Hearts wont take a mob, Hibs even now wouldn't take a mob that would do anything worth talking off....folk just cannae grow up :cool2:

khib70
28-05-2010, 10:47 AM
Ach, you've got to admire their cheek. They've even opened a German site for selling season tickets. See here (http://www.zugspitze.de/de/summer/preise/****/)

Hibs90
28-05-2010, 12:03 PM
Now got a source in the Millwall end who will be taking pictures of the gigantic Hearts support, thats if his camera has a memory card big enough to fit them all.

Gatecrasher
28-05-2010, 02:09 PM
Now got a source in the Millwall end who will be taking pictures of the gigantic Hearts support, thats if his camera has a memory card big enough to fit them all.

400,000 GB might do:dunno: